Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There was a great CBC radio thing this afternoon about Ramadan. The TLDR was that for most of Muslims, Ramadan is a you police yourself thing, because even if you cheat at it, you know that you cheated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

See also: doing charity to look good in the community instead of doing charity to well do charity.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I loved being in a Muslim country for Ramadan. Everybody was little cranky during the day (and lots found "outs" to enjoy a small snack about midday), but as soon as the sun went down, everybody partied. It was cool as poo poo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bulletsponge13 posted:

I loved being in a Muslim country for Ramadan. Everybody was little cranky during the day (and lots found "outs" to enjoy a small snack about midday), but as soon as the sun went down, everybody partied. It was cool as poo poo.

Sounds like that Kenny Chesney song.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Should've taken a screenshot because it's gone.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
She was arguing against rehabilitating criminals because some of them re-offend.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
She?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Facebook Aunt posted:

What if it's constantly being destroyed and rebuilt because we're actually at war with the skeletons, but are very evenly matched?

Oh so osteoblasts are secessionist traitor cells that decides to try and help the skeleton take over? :argh:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Skeletons are v. cool but they're not idiots on social media (I think??) clearly we need a PYF Skeletons thread

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Your Computer posted:

clearly we need a PYF Skeletons thread

On it.

EDIT: actually I already have one low effort thread there right now. Someone else do it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zesty posted:

She was arguing against rehabilitating criminals because some of them re-offend.

That was Tay Zonday, best known for the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA

He's deleted it and posted some vague poo poo along the lines of "I should have thought about that more" and "politics makes people mean".

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

One last skeleton question, it's been driving me mad for years.

I read a story about skeletons when I was like 14, and I cannot track it down again to find out who this dude was:

There was some paleontologist dude in the 1800s/early 1900s who wanted his skeleton to be used as the reference skeleton in one of the worlds big museums - the Smithsonian say, or the National Museum.

And he fought for years and years to have his skeleton accepted (once he died, obviously) until finally the museum relented.

And then when he died it turned out he had latent syphilis and his bones were useless.

Anyone recognise the story?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

And some say male privilege doesn't exist. :allears:

(gently caress that guy)

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ularg posted:

And some say male privilege doesn't exist. :allears:

(gently caress that guy)

There's a dude in my town who is known for talking about the novel he is working on all the time, having sadbrains, and dating socially isolated 18 year olds before getting dumped five years later and finding a new socially isolated 18 year old (he's gotta be approaching 50)

He's ultra liberal like not in the good opinions way but in the living strawman way and he talks a lot on social media about getting out of the country now that Trump's been elected

The country he is planning to move to? Duterte's Philippines.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is Duterte the guy that said his only regret about letting a U.S. journalist get raped to death in prison was that they didn't let in him in on the action?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

veni veni veni posted:

Is Duterte the guy that said his only regret about letting a U.S. journalist get raped to death in prison was that they didn't let in him in on the action?

Yes.

He's also said he'll take the heat for the first three women his soldiers rape just recently.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

He's a younger, more competent version of the Cheeto.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I read a story about skeletons when I was like 14, and I cannot track it down again to find out who this dude was:

There was some paleontologist dude in the 1800s/early 1900s who wanted his skeleton to be used as the reference skeleton in one of the worlds big museums - the Smithsonian say, or the National Museum.

And he fought for years and years to have his skeleton accepted (once he died, obviously) until finally the museum relented.

And then when he died it turned out he had latent syphilis and his bones were useless.

Probably Ronald Reagan

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Edward Drinker Cope, although it's apparently a myth.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Prism posted:

It's not expected until you've entered puberty, and as mentioned a bunch of people don't do it anyway (sick people, menstruating or pregnant women, diabetics, people actively in the process of travelling, and a few other categories I don't remember are all exempt).

IIRC the usual penance for breaking it accidentally or by necessity is giving food to a person in need.

Old age is one. My friend's grandma promises every year she's not going to fast this time, and then she hides the food her kids give her when they aren't looking.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Basically if it would be dangerous for you to do so, you don't fast.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

He's also turning the country into a Judge Dredd comic where vigilantes on motorcycles are gunning down suspected drug users

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This makes me sadder than I thought it would.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's also turning the country into a Judge Dredd comic where vigilantes on motorcycles are gunning down suspected drug users

And he called Obama an *rear end in a top hat*, twice. :argh:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

davidspackage posted:

And he called Obama an *rear end in a top hat*, twice. :argh:

He's just jealous of Obama's advanced murder techniques

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
The London Olympics took place during Ramadan. It was interesting to read about how differently Muslim athletes handled the conflict. Some still fasted, others postponed their 40 days of fasting until after the olympics. Some gave to the poor.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jul/22/ramadan-olympics-fasting

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

My old pal Keith is at it again

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

That DICK! posted:

My old pal Keith is at it again

That poor dog

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

veni veni veni posted:

Australian missionary-and yes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nckdictator posted:

Australian missionary-and yes

Just loving dire.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Duterte is amazingly big piece of poo poo. Like amazingly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa Filipino Ferretball

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Anyone who speaks Tagalog(?) know what Pa Rin means? I'm guessing "forever," but I wouldn't be surprised if it's "gently caress you."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

Duterte is amazingly big piece of poo poo. Like amazingly.

Just watched his comments on the missionary again and it's crazy to think that this guy's brain actually works like this. "well I have to respond to this woman who was raped until she died by my soldiers. I know I'll play it down with a joke. The joke, will be that I looked at her corpse and wanted to gently caress it, and say that I'm mad at my guys for not letting me have a go at her before she died. Good job Dueterte!"

You an actually see on his face that he thinks he is building up to a punchline. Like, he's trying not to laugh during the part where he is pretending to be sympathetic (his only point of sympathy being that he thought she was hot)

It's baffling on so many levels how lovely humans are.

Edit: inmates not soldiers. I actually did not realized this happened in 89. Not that it makes a difference.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 19:47 on May 29, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Some of the people that worked for him in the past (and haven't been murdered by him yet) have started popping up here and there and are snitching all his crimes. Dude is by and large a huge mobster, and big criminal that somehow made it to president.

It's like if you voted for a drug lord on his campaign promise of "eliminating all other drug lords"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

nerdz posted:

Some of the people that worked for him in the past (and haven't been murdered by him yet) have started popping up here and there and are snitching all his crimes. Dude is by and large a huge mobster, and big criminal that somehow made it to president.

It's like if you voted for a drug lord on his campaign promise of "eliminating all other drug lords"

#MPGA

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The bad tweet Indy 500 tweet man got fired

https://twitter.com/denverpost/status/869256388047810560

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate when videos have incorrect video titles, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I55yxRneik - The title is "This Lion Cub Trying to Roar is the Cutest Thing You Will See This Week!" but it was actually corrected by the comments - apparently it's actually calling for it's mother. This is a baby lion roar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv901tRE0rQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

One of my big pet peeves is people sharing photos of stuffed animals that people legit think are real, and they're labelled "This is what a baby polar bear looks like!" or "Aren't baby owls the cutest?!?"