Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

yeah what mind the walrus said. AAA developers could make these games if they didn't perceive anything outside of their comfort zone as a risk
Well I don't blame AAA devs. necessarily. When you're talking about games that cost $20 million on the cheap side it's understandable to stick to known quantities as much as possible. It's just weird and kind-of sad that the games industry offers less qualitative game variety while simultaneously offering more quantifiable variety than ever before, at least as far as 3D games are concerned. And largely 2D if we're being completely honest, but 2D isn't as frustrating because indie devs can make a lot more out of a 2D game than a 3D one on their budgets so more cream floats to the top.

Rutibex posted:

when you say they can't make "Kingdom Hearts or Metal Gear Solid" do you mean they can't make a good 3D action game, or do you mean they can't make some kind of over blown "cinematic" tour de force with lots of licensed characters?

because indy devs sure can make good 3D action games all on their own. what they can't make is a half-assed CGI movie to tack onto the actual game, and frankly i concider that an improvement.
Uh, neither. I'm talking about games with expensive-to-make controls and mechanics like Metal Gear's sneaking or Kingdom Hearts' battle system, that also feature concepts weird enough that they might not find market traction. Lots of weird games prior to 2006 didn't, but those that did eventually became big franchises like MGS or Kingdom Hearts because the risk paid off.

Indy devs largely can't make good 3D action games because even with a budget and time there is only so much a very small team can really do. They can make decent games in a 3D space that don't require a bevy of active mechanics (e.g: most of the game is just running around hitting "interact" with stuff), but if they even approach the same level of mechanical complexity as a mid-tier PS1 game odds are they're working with comparatively low graphical fidelity and/or prebuilt engine mechanics that are far behind modern standards. That's not a knock on anyone in particular, that's logistical inference based on my experience with the market.

So thus odds are you won't find something that has all of the three criteria:

1. Looks nice in 3D for the 2010s
2. Has polished and varied gameplay mechanics
3. Is more than a callback or iteration of something like Devil May Cry or Fatal Frame

which is exactly where the mid-range market used to exist. I'm sure exceptions do exist. I'm sure they do and I'm sure I'm not aware of them and someone is going to post one and act like it's some big shock to me. But the overall market doesn't exist anymore, and that has been my point the entire time.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Indy devs largely can't make good 3D action games because even with a budget and time there is only so much a very small team can really do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC9GF0tGZIY

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Is Stelarris any good my friend has his steam library on my computer and he got that

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sid Vicious posted:

Is Stelarris any good my friend has his steam library on my computer and he got that

its a fun "sim" game, but its bad if you like to actually win the game

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

:( they keep popping out of the pokeball no matter what button I hold down. I don't think they should have fixed this hack.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
there isn't enough pizza in video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8ViYIeH04

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

value-brand cereal posted:

:( they keep popping out of the pokeball no matter what button I hold down. I don't think they should have fixed this hack.

you have to hold down "B" whenever the ball shakes. if they pop out you got the timing wrong

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I finally got around to MGS5. And despite hating him and 24, I think Keifer Sutherland makes a great Big Boss.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Pokemon has always been poo poo

the show and the games

Designed from the ground up conceptually as a commercial tool to sell merch to kids and manchildren

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
eve online is a fun and fresh team based submarine game with a tangible sense of gain and loss which gives it the best pvp combat of any game bar none

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The free Blizzard games are actually better than the paid ones like Wow or Diablo3

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

"Metroidvania" is the worst and any and all side scrollers are horrible. If NES developers had the technology to make an enjoyable 3D environment, they'd have made that and skipped the horrible (but necessary) era of side scrollers that plagues us to this day. 2D is okay in a lot of situations (Strategy/RTS, Rimworld and other city builders, management games, etc) but side scrollers are to video games as vinyl is to listening to music.

Far Cry has jumped the shark, and while that by itself isn't unpopular, 4 was the best of the series by far but they'll never top it unless 5 trims the fat of crafting and climbing towers.

Undertale (hell, and Earthbound) are not good and require a broken brain to enjoy.

Battlefield 1 is the best multiplayer battlefield so far.

Spec Ops: The Line was awful and I'm even a giant sucker for any media stealing the Heart of Darkness plot arch. I'm convinced anyone who likes it is having their first exposure to Heart of Darkness/Apoc Now because any other major media adaption of that has been way better.

All Bioshocks have always been bad.

DayZ is better for focusing on survival mechanics than just getting a Mosin and killing everyone else because it just becomes a regular free for all shooter with a lot more sociopathy since you know your target is losing actual loot.

And finally, and most unpopular, Battlefield 3 had the best single player campaign of any first person shooter in the past ten years. I exclude the new Wolfenstein from this category only because it doesn't have multiplayer, otherwise that would win. COD: Black Ops (1) is a very close second because it drew heavily from cinema from the Cold War era, but Battlefield 3's campaign was perfect in that it gave you bad rear end set pieces and taught you bits of the multiplayer mechanics while you played. Sure the story sucked but ever FPS campaign story sucks. It succeeded in making me feel like a cool war dude and when it finished I launched into the multiplayer more excited than I would have been had I just viewed it as another large map shooter.

I'm sure I could find more awful opinions in my brain because I have terrible niche tastes in games.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

skyrim is so devoid of actual gameplay i don't understand how people play it and keep their brain occupied. i think it may have the single worst combat of any video game, I cannot think of a game where fighting is less satisfying. The dialogue is all just retards gawking in your face all glitchy like and none of them have anything interesting to say, just dumb boring viking bullshit. Mods are for dorks, just sell me a good video game out of the box.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Rutibex posted:

you have to hold down "B" whenever the ball shakes. if they pop out you got the timing wrong

It worked! :) thank you I have a beautiful clefairy now!

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

skyrim is so devoid of actual gameplay i don't understand how people play it and keep their brain occupied. i think it may have the single worst combat of any video game, I cannot think of a game where fighting is less satisfying.

There are many, but poo poo, even the other elder scrolls games have way worse combat. Believe it or not but Skyrim is the best version yet

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

skyrim is so devoid of actual gameplay i don't understand how people play it and keep their brain occupied. i think it may have the single worst combat of any video game, I cannot think of a game where fighting is less satisfying. The dialogue is all just retards gawking in your face all glitchy like and none of them have anything interesting to say, just dumb boring viking bullshit. Mods are for dorks, just sell me a good video game out of the box.

Agreed on all parts, except I have a horrible autism for modding to a level that could be compared to an elaborate zen garden if it wasn't so horribly dorky.

There was some perk overhaul mod that combined with a few other mods made the combat and progression super fresh. Also, i always played Stealth Archer (like everyone) or Big Axe Man (like everyone's second choice) but when I switched to a pure destruction/restoration caster on a harder difficulty boy howdy did poo poo get hectic (and fun).

You're still essentially right, though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Pokemon is the 2nd best RPG series...because it ripped off Shin Megami Tensei.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if this is unpopular but it sure seems like it to game devs, necromancy is extremely fun to play with and somehow only Diablo 2 and Path of Exile have gotten it right so far. I want more games where I can be a legit, army-raising necromancer.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

I've been wondering since Daggerfall when an Elder Scrolls game is going to have smooth fast combat but they never do. I remember playing Kingdom of Amaleur or whatever it was called and thinking that that sort of flow and speed should be required for a game with primarily melee combat. Like that game wasn't spectacular and the company drama surrounding it was horrendous but I could swing a sword in it and not feel like I'm underwater, in a tinman costume, and freshly injected with thorazine, and that was good.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Caesar Saladin posted:

i think it may have the single worst combat of any video game

The Witcher 3 is worse.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The Dennis System posted:

The Witcher 3 is worse.

not even close

witcher 3 is a slightly awkward batman system, skyrim is just mashing the attack button over and over in the dumb skeletons face or casting super unimpressive spells that don't look or feel good

unpopular opinion: witcher 3 combat is kinda fun when you work out how the game wants you to play

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Store Adventure posted:

"Metroidvania" is the worst and any and all side scrollers are horrible. If NES developers had the technology to make an enjoyable 3D environment, they'd have made that and skipped the horrible (but necessary) era of side scrollers that plagues us to this day. 2D is okay in a lot of situations (Strategy/RTS, Rimworld and other city builders, management games, etc) but side scrollers are to video games as vinyl is to listening to music.

metroidvanias are like listening to the Beatles and 3d platformers are like listening to dubstep

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

three of Anime Store Adventure's opinions are definitely unpopular (Metroidvania, dragging Earthbound into his Undertale opinion, and saying that any latter-day CoD game has merit) and i'm not informed enough about the rest of them to make a conclusion either way

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

JRPGs are trash but I play them anyway becacuse I am trash

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
There hasn't been a good video game released since 2006.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I am trash

Not an unpopular opinion. (Just kidding.)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

I'm not sure if this is unpopular but it sure seems like it to game devs, necromancy is extremely fun to play with and somehow only Diablo 2 and Path of Exile have gotten it right so far. I want more games where I can be a legit, army-raising necromancer.

They're all fixated on "single powerful pet" classes, or a small handful, and go out of their way to keep the numbers low for some reason and you "invested" in the pet.

I on the other hand 100% agree.. give me an army of like 16 skeletons, 16 spirits and an Iron Golem made from subpar loot anyday

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Please let me kill players and then reanimate their bodies for my own sinister purposes

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spec Ops: The Line was awful and I'm even a giant sucker for any media stealing the Heart of Darkness plot arch. I'm convinced anyone who likes it is having their first exposure to Heart of Darkness/Apoc Now because any other major media adaption of that has been way better.

..not really. What made that game special was the way it used video game conventions as part of the narrative, then ripped them apart.

The "gently caress yeah! Blow 'em up!" minigame turns horrifying when you realized you left screaming dying civilians everywhere.

And finally, and most unpopular, Battlefield 3 had the best single player campaign of any first person shooter in the past ten years. I exclude the new Wolfenstein from this category only because it doesn't have multiplayer, otherwise that would win.

hahahha whaaaat

Yeah that's a pretty unpopular opinion

ThreeFingerHoek
Feb 6, 2009

i attribute the quarrelsome nature of the middle ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed

Far Cry has jumped the shark, and while that by itself isn't unpopular, 4 was the best of the series by far but they'll never top it unless 5 trims the fat of crafting and climbing towers.

agreed, actually it's 2, agreed

Spec Ops: The Line was awful

agreed

AGREED

And finally, and most unpopular, Battlefield 3 had the best single player campaign of any first person shooter in the past ten years. I exclude the new Wolfenstein from this category only because it doesn't have multiplayer, otherwise that would win. COD: Black Ops (1) is a very close second because it drew heavily from cinema from the Cold War era, but Battlefield 3's campaign was perfect in that it gave you bad rear end set pieces and taught you bits of the multiplayer mechanics while you played. Sure the story sucked but ever FPS campaign story sucks. It succeeded in making me feel like a cool war dude and when it finished I launched into the multiplayer more excited than I would have been had I just viewed it as another large map shooter.

why would you exclude a single-player only game from the category of good single player games

every WW2, MW and BlopS CoD campaign wipes the floor with BF3, it's like the asylum direct-to-video ripoff

also the best SP shooter in recent memory is CoJ: gunslinger

I'm sure I could find more awful opinions in my brain because I have terrible niche tastes in games.

i find your tastes quite palatable actually :)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

..not really. What made that game special was the way it used video game conventions as part of the narrative, then ripped them apart.

The "gently caress yeah! Blow 'em up!" minigame turns horrifying when you realized you left screaming dying civilians everywhere.

in spec ops you only climb down the whole game, you only go down deeper and deeper, the layout of the world doesn't even make sense, its small details like that which also make it a cool game

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Minecraft is poo poo

It's not fun and it's not pretty and I never really hear anyone speak well of it in real life but it seems insanely popular

ThreeFingerHoek
Feb 6, 2009

i attribute the quarrelsome nature of the middle ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed

Caesar Saladin posted:

in spec ops you only climb down the whole game, you only go down deeper and deeper, the layout of the world doesn't even make sense, its small details like that which also make it a cool game

a lot of games today have you walking on a constant, gentle downward slope because it makes for good vistas, simply stunning vistas

fallout 4 broke new ground by having multiple slopes that converged on the southeast corner, so at any given moment you'd have both a nice view of a hillside and a nice view into some valley below

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

ThreeFingerHoek posted:

Why would you exclude a single-player only game from the category of good single player games

Only because it's the entire game and I was looking more at FPS games where the "main attraction" is multiplayer. It doesn't feel fair to compare 100% of the focus and budget to what was probably an afterthought for many of the other games in that category who are mostly focused on their multiplayer gameplay. The new Wolfenstein owns a lot.

To elaborate on BF3, I think it's a case of "has a goal and succeeds in what it sets out to do." It jumps between "Battlefield moments" that they like to call attention to: charging down a hill under heavy mortar fire into Tehran, taking off from a rainy carrier, HALO dropping to the battlefield theme. All of those bits are memorable and have a wow factor and kind of tease all the different roles and things in the main event, the multiplayer. It also functions as a tutorial for some of the weapons and vehicles for Battlefield, but hides it pretty well. Battlefield 1's war stories were even better at this but lose a tiny bit because the stealth sections are boring.

I guess you're all right in that my Spec Ops criticism is a little bit off base in that people like the plot playing with you losing it, everything going more insane, etc... It just didn't translate well for me I guess. I found it super forgettable likely due largely in part to the gameplay being horrible rear end.

New one: Souls games are JRPG trash with 500 stats, none of which seem to matter or are well explained in game. If you're expected to read a wiki or call a ghost to show you or help you to beat parts, that's not difficult. It's bad game design. Luckily someone made 'git gud' a meme so now everyone has to memorize boss attack patterns to be as cool as their rear end in a top hat friends who already read the wiki/watched a guide/had a ghost run them through it.

I tried to play DS2 with no advance knowledge of the game itself or the series and not look stuff up and it was crazy dumb. Someone finally explained I was going the wrong way and I shouldn't try to fight everything every time. I made progress almost immediately but I thought wow, the game literally did 0 to hint about that and I'm starting to think everyone who's not getting stuck for two weeks in one spot is just wiki crawling every step and using third party maps.

Then again, I don't think it's specific to dark souls that gamers get punched in the dick repeatedly by a lovely game and say "What? You don't enjoy getting punched in the dick? I'm the best at it and get punched in the dick 40 hours a week. Git gud."

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

There's a place for videogames with no handholding. Just offering up a world to you and going "try to survive it m8 ;) ;) ;)"

Still, I thought the souls games were mediocre. The bosses were fun, everything else was tedious

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Fartbox posted:

There's a place for videogames with no handholding. Just offering up a world to you and going "try to survive it m8 ;) ;) ;)"

Still, I thought the souls games were mediocre. The bosses were fun, everything else was tedious

I agree, I like "no hand holding" but I feel like Souls doesn't even make clear what the bounds and rules of the game world are unless you already have watched, played, or read about it. I don't want a game I constantly have to reference outside material to make progress in*.

(*To execute a brutal self own, observe my post history in the Elite: Dangerous thread, a game in which at least half a dozen different third party tools are drat near required to even enjoy the game.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I agree, I like "no hand holding" but I feel like Souls doesn't even make clear what the bounds and rules of the game world are unless you already have watched, played, or read about it. I don't want a game I constantly have to reference outside material to make progress in*.

(*To execute a brutal self own, observe my post history in the Elite: Dangerous thread, a game in which at least half a dozen different third party tools are drat near required to even enjoy the game.)

you should try Nethack

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

There hasn't been a good video game released since 2006.

Yeah, Sonic the Hedgehog for PS3 :hehe:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

souls games would genuinely be much, much better on handhelds so you're not tied to a tv for hours trying to murder a boss properly

like bloodborne and ds3 are real pretty but dark souls 1 would totally run on a vita or switch

hell, get real weird, go all the way back to demon's souls with hub worlds and poo poo

(also release the kings field games for pc/psn)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Undertale (hell, and Earthbound) are not good and require a broken brain to enjoy.

Battlefield 1 is the best multiplayer battlefield so far.

DayZ is better for focusing on survival mechanics than just getting a Mosin and killing everyone else because it just becomes a regular free for all shooter with a lot more sociopathy since you know your target is losing actual loot.

spec ops was a really pretty game with incredible sound design and really well done level design. the story was hilariously bad in how it tried to tie it all together but if you just stop playing the game after the hell hallucination i'd consider it to be worth playing

also i tried to get into the bf3 singleplayer and just gave up when you just had to park your rear end at every objective and just shoot endless waves of enemies coming from clearly defined spawn points. the vehicle levels were really good though