Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Hamilton had a blast when he swapped cars with Tony Stewart, I think he'd love it tbh

I think we'll see him do Cup first bud.

He likes :911: and he seems to like Cup quite a bit more than Indy per what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

VikingSkull posted:

Hamilton had a blast when he swapped cars with Tony Stewart, I think he'd love it tbh

Hamilton specifically mentioned that he'd be interested in doing the Daytona 500 but that he really doesn't care for IndyCars at all.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the series, teams, drivers delivered what they needed to today.
  • Alonso was fast and up front... but a chance gets a way.
  • Engines were a huge story all day, with each builder taking a different tactic. If i'm a manufacturer, I would want in on that.
  • A big spectacular crash, and everyone walks away.
  • Battling all the way to the flag, with a popular first time winner chased by a multi-time champion.
  • Hectic slicing and dicing all day, did NOT look like an easy Sunday drive for anyone. Rookies, champs, vets, one timers all taking turns up front.
  • NO RAIN.

they put on the show they needed to today. feels like another brick to build off of.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

The coolest thing that Alonso did was to put out a marker that says, "Look what I did, what can you do?" And that's not even specific to IndyCar. All of these drivers are insanely competitive, they're not going to sit back and let Alonso take all the plaudits. Maybe that means more F1 drivers in the 500, but more likely it means more of them doing anything else at all. And I think the best thing for racing as a whole is for F1 to see itself as part of a larger racing world, not as the world itself.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/kaoru25gotou/status/869029010902196224
:allears:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
It's the best case scenario for F1, really. Alonso makes his statement, but now F1 has some substance whenever it says that it has the best racing drivers in the world. Liberty is going to want to pursue this, it's just a matter of how.

ed-

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wonder how Japan will treat Sato because of this?

EMPEROR SATO

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/868919998684827649

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I'm always skeptical of the "total passes" stat. Does it count all the passes made when half the field "passes" a wrecked car, or all of the multiple passes and re-passes done during pit stop cycles?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan posted:

EMPEROR SATO

top story:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

so here is the explanation as to why helio's rear clip broke going under dixon

apparently hit a big seam/lip in the concrete and jumped into the air. also, that fuckin picture

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Cygni posted:

the series, teams, drivers delivered what they needed to today.
  • Alonso was fast and up front... but a chance gets a way.
  • Engines were a huge story all day, with each builder taking a different tactic. If i'm a manufacturer, I would want in on that.
  • A big spectacular crash, and everyone walks away.
  • Battling all the way to the flag, with a popular first time winner chased by a multi-time champion.
  • Hectic slicing and dicing all day, did NOT look like an easy Sunday drive for anyone. Rookies, champs, vets, one timers all taking turns up front.
  • NO RAIN.

they put on the show they needed to today. feels like another brick to build off of.

Well said. Aside from the cautions being a bit tedious in the second half, everything else about the race completely delivered.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

apparently hit a big seam/lip in the concrete and jumped into the air. also, that fuckin picture

Indycar 2017: LOOK AT THAT FUCKIN PICTURE

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think Sato made the morning news, but I'll let you know what else I see.

Sato's still a really popular driver and figure here, as he's been one of the few to stick in international top-level series for any amount of time in this era. This is going to make it even crazier for him, I'm sure. I wonder how many Japanese press outlets are scrambling for flights to Detroit and hotels about now...

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Indycar 2017: LOOK AT THAT FUCKIN PICTURE

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

I think Sato made the morning news, but I'll let you know what else I see.

Sato's still a really popular driver and figure here, as he's been one of the few to stick in international top-level series for any amount of time in this era. This is going to make it even crazier for him, I'm sure. I wonder how many Japanese press outlets are scrambling for flights to Detroit and hotels about now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RW3EWL6RNY

Question will be, will he be getting random commercials airing in Japan ala King Hiro?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ive rewatched the race like 2 times and am pretty drunk by now and those bao look badass

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

WindyMan posted:

It's the best case scenario for F1, really. Alonso makes his statement, but now F1 has some substance whenever it says that it has the best racing drivers in the world. Liberty is going to want to pursue this, it's just a matter of how.

ed-

EMPEROR SATO

They are running out of royals, there was a big story about one of the princesses marrying a commoner which takes her kids out of the running. It's Takuma's time to take a shot at the throne.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the question at this point is how does Alonso get a Le Mans ride. Im thinking it probably ends up Ganassi/Ford.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the question at this point is how does Alonso get a Le Mans ride. Im thinking it probably ends up Ganassi/Ford.

the only way the Triple Crown is worth a poo poo is if you get an overall win at Le Mans

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Replacement for Bourdais?

thisLambo
Aug 28, 2016

Cygni posted:

I thought he went airborne... but gently caress... and drives over the grass... at what 190mph+?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

He's not doing GTE for Le Mans. With LMP1 on life support and Porsche dropping their 3rd car for special guests the only chance he has would be with Toyota in the next few years.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Nando may be better served waiting for whatever befells LMP1 and taking on LeMans in whatever top spec refreshes or replaces it.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
There's a big increase in P1 privateer cars allegedly coming next year, if the Hybrid class does implode into nothingness Zac Brown already owns an LMP2/3 team...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The ACO will subsidise LMP1-H until they go bankrupt. That they said new teams coming into LMP1 couldn't use hybrids unless they built them themselves shows that's a hill they're willing to die on.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RW3EWL6RNY

Question will be, will he be getting random commercials airing in Japan ala King Hiro?

That ain't random, that's like getting a McDonald's ad here. Or specifically a Dunkin Donuts sponsorship and ad. They sponsored his car!

(What the gently caress Mister Donut was doing making pork buns is another, completely different question)

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/joetamborello/status/868918522902179842

Uh huh... :crossarms:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seems legit? poo poo is crazy there. I wandered too close and got a distinct feeling of being too old for that poo poo.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
What is that? Box wine minus the box?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

I was mildly curious what the people in this thread looked like and now I regret it thanks

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just lol if you haven't chugged from a bag of wine while camping or at the track

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
they call it goon for a reason

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Alonso isn't racing for Toyota while he's with McLaren/Honda and iirc Porsche is completely full on drivers. If he wants to start Le Mans asap and be competitive his best bet is Ganassi until LMP-H collapses or Penske buys the Audi cars and hope they're still competitive in 2018..

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

That ain't random, that's like getting a McDonald's ad here. Or specifically a Dunkin Donuts sponsorship and ad. They sponsored his car!

(What the gently caress Mister Donut was doing making pork buns is another, completely different question)

For them to sponsor King Hiro I mean and for King Hiro to gets ads lol.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Mister Donut is amazing and I miss them very much. I'd get a Pon de Ringu at least once a week. Decent coffee too.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

:allbuttons:

E: It ripped the gearbox clean off:

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 29, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stonk:

Reminds me of the Pocono pit lane crash last year from that angle. Only this time there was a lot more speed involved.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Two more angles:

Really think we whistled past the graveyard on this one.

E: One more, than I'm done with the image dump:

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 29, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/twsilvereagle/status/869207357414293504

https://twitter.com/Takanori_JJ/status/869109369006247936

Goons living abroad, can you confirm all of this? Post some pictures!

e: More

https://twitter.com/wadai_word/status/869218569527058432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I love this since it has absolutely zero mention of Alonso.

• Locked thread