Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Man you guys are so mean to Jean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

Catalina posted:

Also, I'll try not to white knight Mikasa too much here, because I get that she's really a hate her or love her character (with about half the loves are coming from a place of being attracted to her character), but I really like her as a character, because while she's nearly physically perfect, mentally and emotionally (which are Armin and Eren's biggest strengths), she is brittle, broken, and barely holding together.

Just want to comment on this, Eren is not known for his physical strength. He accomplishes his goals through sheer will. Instructor Keith Shardis (Shadis?) gives a very good brief analysis of the top tens greatest strengths and weaknesses at the start of the 4th episode in season 1. His comment on Eren is: "While he lacks any outstanding talents, he improved his grades through outstanding diligence. In addition he possesses an exceptional sense of purpose." Eren only just recently killed his first titan, and he kinda hosed it up too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's been a while since I've read up on the rules, but Titan Shifters need to harm themselves to transform, right? External harm doesn't work?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Hate-Senpai posted:

It's been a while since I've read up on the rules, but Titan Shifters need to harm themselves to transform, right? External harm doesn't work?

Hurt while having a strong sense of purpose, specifically. They need a strong, directed will in order to generate the body apparently, which is why Eren didn't really titanshift during all the testing, except accidentally hurting himself while reaching for the fork generating a partial body that grabbed the fork. Presumably exhaustion and purpose is why the body that blocked the cannon shot was also a half-constructed husk. Rather than any specific, directed goal he just lashed out to protect his friends and a minimal effort accomplished that.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Hate-Senpai posted:

I think they just need to have their blood contact the air along with some kind of extreme motive or impetus. Bert with his slashed neck and Reiner with his missing hand were able to transform following Mikasa's attack.

The part I don't understand is why Ymir didn't start regenerating straight away. Was it because she became unconscious?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mordaedil posted:

Man you guys are so mean to Jean.

Not me, he's my favorite.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Any idea as to why Hange is the only one crawling from her injuries? Plot? Also the death flags for Hannes are everywhere man the flags man the flags!

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
The writing for this episode wasn't very well done. They wasted far too much time on Ymir and Eren monologuing about obvious things.

There was, however, one important new thing that we did learn: Christa is important to Bert and Ernie's titan tribe in some capacity beyond just "Reiner likes her".

It really didn't offer that much new content to think about.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Reiner is a big dumb crazy idiot, and Eren is Eren.

I liked the episode, for what it's worth.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I dunno, the casual way they decided "gently caress it, just cut off his arms, he'll be less trouble that way" was pretty eyebrow-raising for me.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
I'm amused that Eren has grown enough to realize that he needs to calm down and extract as much information as possible from his situation, but hasn't matured enough to actually follow through

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rangpur posted:

I dunno, the casual way they decided "gently caress it, just cut off his arms, he'll be less trouble that way" was pretty eyebrow-raising for me.

that's not what happened, reiner didn't do it intentionally. they were in a hurry

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kytrarewn posted:

The writing for this episode wasn't very well done. They wasted far too much time on Ymir and Eren monologuing about obvious things.

Yeah this episode really felt like padding.

I did like the creepy rear end abnormal titan that was lying down staring up at them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Shy titan just wants you to notice him.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sjs00 posted:

Any idea as to why Hange is the only one crawling from her injuries? Plot? Also the death flags for Hannes are everywhere man the flags man the flags!

There were several corps members laid down in stretchers. Hange is just so stubborn she's trying to move around despite not even having the lower body strength to stand up after being steam blasted.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah this episode really felt like padding.

Yeah, hopefully they were saving budget for some epic poo poo in the next few.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

There was, however, one important new thing that we did learn: Christa is important to Bert and Ernie's titan tribe in some capacity beyond just "Reiner likes her".

It really didn't offer that much new content to think about.

You were supposed to be learning about Bert and Ernie, not about anything else. You're also given a glimpse into the true nature of what's going on with this hidden faction.

They also added a scene that's way further down the line in the manga, which was a very cool touch I felt.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Writing feels hamfisted in how literal Ymir is in breaking down and explaining everything.

But then I remember it's Ymir and she's naturally super condescending, and was getting a kick out of explaining Reiner's mental breakdown out loud.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Worst episode of the season. All that talk and barely any new info? This whole episode could've been shrunk into maybe 10 minutes tops.

The only redeeming quality have been how whimsical the regular titans have been lately.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I was trying to look something up and accidentally saw manga spoilers and jesus christ, this thing is going to have as many twists and turns as Game of Thrones

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RealFoxy posted:

I was trying to look something up and accidentally saw manga spoilers and jesus christ, this thing is going to have as many twists and turns as Game of Thrones

Eren is the valonqar.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RealFoxy posted:

Never Look Up Info For Attack On Titan

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yeh right now we've gone into space and that might be a bit tricky for understand how we got there

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

yeh right now we've gone into space and that might be a bit tricky for understand how we got there

You haven't reached the dimension hopping chapter yet?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I could have never predicted Ape Escape was SSJ5 Goku either.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Please listen to this man, listen to the internet when we tell you not to do this. While I was reading through the manga, a little bit later after minor character died, I figured it was safe to Google how to spell their name (never do this) and before I could get my eyes away from the first result, there was a giant spoiler in the THIRD WORD of the description of their character.

Never look anything up. Please ask here, and let us manga readers help.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, and I can't believe they're going with that plot hole that's come with the Engrish in the title, what with them actually being on Neptune's moon of Triton, and not Saturn's moon of Titan.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Captain Invictus posted:

Mod please

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Was Christa the character who was a princess or some sort of bastard royalty? Maybe the titans want to install a human leader or maybe Rein has a huge boner for her.

Also, this is my prediction. The guy who is the leader of the scouts along with the drunk old man from last episode are part of some other titan faction whose goal is to become the protectors of the humans. I be the blonde leader Erwin(?) is the monkey titan and he was simply testing out the new recruits when this whole mess with Bert and rein kicked off.

Is it safe for me to Google Reiner and look up his info on a wiki page now that his secret identity is revealed, or is it like people have said where unavoidable Manga spoilers will shoot out of my monitor like a laser light show.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 29, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

AHahahahahaha

Absolutely not.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I googled something for the wire once and ruined like 3 seasons of plot just from the search results page.

When it's ok to google
- you are 100% caught up on a show with no source material
- you don't care about spoilers

When it's not ok to google
- when you on season two and there's six seasons
- when there is a book/play/???? as source material and the show has not yet passed or deviated from it

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 29, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is it safe for me to Google Reiner

not even a little bit

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm also starting to think everyone is actually a titan, buy I don't know how to work it out completely

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I googled something for the wire once and ruined like 3 seasons of plot just from the search results page.

When it's ok to google
- you are 100% caught up on a show with no source material
- you don't care about spoilers

When it's not ok to google
- when you on season two and there's six seasons
- when there is a book/play/???? as source material and the show has not yet passed or deviated from it

Just curious, what was the wire spoiler?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
20 bucks says he was googling Omar

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I can't believe Omar was a Titan this whole time. No wonder he could steal those drugs so easily.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I googled the seemingly most innocent of characters and found out they had bombs full of plot eventually so no, literally don't google anyone

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

I googled the seemingly most innocent of characters and found out they had bombs full of plot eventually so no, literally don't google anyone
I mean when basically-background-character Berthold turns out to be the main antagonist and poster threat of the series, people could call this kinda obvious.

Don't google. There's probably more Bertholds.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Rip Marco, again.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Terper posted:

AHahahahahaha

Absolutely not.

If you Google image search Moneky Trouble, Google's second suggested category of images is of basically everything related to Beast Titan that will be revealed with helpful keywords at related spoilers. (though hilariously, one of the related keywords is potatoes. You keep on keeping on, Sasha fans.)
Never. Google. Anything. Related. To. Attack on Titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is it safe for me to Google Reiner and look up his info on a wiki page now that his secret identity is revealed, or is it like people have said where unavoidable Manga spoilers will shoot out of my monitor like a laser light show.

Just to give you an idea, I googled Reiner Braun and here's the description in the first hit (the wikia), after censoring:

quote:

Reiner Braun (ライナー・ブラウン Rainā Buraun) is a ■■■■■■■■ warrior of ■■■■■■■■ who grew up in ■■■■■■■■. He is also a graduate of ...
Granted, some keywords make no sense without context, but when you can hit three spoilers in a single sentence it's definitely not safe.

• Locked thread