Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

4) I really have no idea how to customize my not-quite-lockscreen (i.e., what I see when I pick up my phone). I am well aware that this is entirely my problem.

You can't

quote:

3) The Apps section, oh my god. :catstare: On Windows Phone, if you want to see the apps that aren't on your dashboard, all you have to do is swipe to the left, and you will see an alphabetized list of apps -- you can click a letter to open an alphabet screen, then click the letter of the alphabet that the app you want is in. It is quick and simple, which is funny considering how little app support Windows Phone even has. On Android, I have to scroll all the way through a grid of thumbnails, and it is HEINOUS.

Try Nova launcher or action launcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I got the G5+, thanks thread. I hadn't even heard of this phone before and would have probably ordered a Z Play without your advice.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bull3964 posted:

Scrolling on the right side of the list on the scrollbar will pop up letters to jump to.

Or, you could just use the search at the top of the drawer.

If I search for Z, the results include anything with a Z in it, which is less than ideal, but that scrolling on the right side thing is great. Thanks! :)

Blue Train posted:

Try Nova launcher or action launcher

I have Nova Launcher, which I only installed to remove the Google search bar from my dashboard, but I guess I ought to see what its actual capabilities are.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SB35 posted:

Pixel should be safe until September/October but we'll be seeing leaks and rumors soon.
I sure hope so. The amount of leaks has been pretty low.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

If I search for Z, the results include anything with a Z in it, which is less than ideal, but that scrolling on the right side thing is great. Thanks! :)

I have Nova Launcher, which I only installed to remove the Google search bar from my dashboard, but I guess I ought to see what its actual capabilities are.

Get the microsoft arrow launcher.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Who is knowledgeable about Android emulators for Windows?

I have an Android app that I like very much. It runs well on my phone and tablet. (I also have an iOS version that runs well on an iPad.)

I tried using a few different emulator programs on my Windows 7 PC and installing this app. App installs okay but I can't get it to run successfully with any of the emulators. It starts up and crashes after its initial splash screen.

Any idea what might be causing this or any solution?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why did you get an Android phone if you're​ just going to make it a poor Windows phone imitation?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Might be the thread for this/might not. Bought a new car receiver today with Android Auto and Best Buy is installing it next week. Guy was insisting I can use Android Auto over bluetooth without a USB connection and I was pretty drat sure he was super wrong. Regardless, they're going to be hooking my existing iPod USB port to the new receiver anyways, but I just wanted to confirm I'm not crazy and he probably shouldn't be selling car stereos?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Maybe he meant you can still listen to music over Bluetooth?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

RZA Encryption posted:

Why did you get an Android phone if you're​ just going to make it a poor Windows phone imitation?

I'm not, and I'm not sure where you got that impression. I've had this phone for less than a week, and I'm adjusting.

There are some things that annoy me enough to change, and some that I'll just get used to. It's not as big of a deal as it looks, it was just a really long list of mostly inconsequential gripes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

I got the G5+, thanks thread. I hadn't even heard of this phone before and would have probably ordered a Z Play without your advice.

Yeah, I'm very happy with mine. I was out at the track all day today with lovely wireless signal and I'm still at over 40% battery.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

It's not like getting a Windows Phone is really an option.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not sure who makes the decisions over on Google Play Music, but the client is still terrible, and the web service gets worse and worse every few months I check in (whenever there's a free trial, like right now).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not sure who makes the decisions over on Google Play Music, but the client is still terrible, and the web service gets worse and worse every few months I check in (whenever there's a free trial, like right now).

I dunno, but I think they're both great.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I dunno, but I think they're both great.

Yea I haven't had any issues with either

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Take a look at this screenshot. I suppose those tabs are familiar to you guys?

I don't have that poo poo over here. Nowhere to be found.

Nor do I have genre filters on Charts, New Releases or Stations. They were actually missing since Google integrated Songza. Until until a few months ago, when I last checked in, they showed up. But now they're gone again.

I can't really explore anything in this service, except via auto-playlists. And it's only gotten worse since this Songza stuff. In the US/Canada, and maybe some other regions, everything seems dandy. Where I live? No dice.

--edit: FYI, the Android app is similarly knee-capped.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 29, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Tim Whatley posted:

Might be the thread for this/might not. Bought a new car receiver today with Android Auto and Best Buy is installing it next week. Guy was insisting I can use Android Auto over bluetooth without a USB connection and I was pretty drat sure he was super wrong. Regardless, they're going to be hooking my existing iPod USB port to the new receiver anyways, but I just wanted to confirm I'm not crazy and he probably shouldn't be selling car stereos?

You can run the Android Auto app on your phone and run the audio over Bluetooth, but that's about it. It won't mirror the screen on your head unit.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Uthor posted:

You can run the Android Auto app on your phone and run the audio over Bluetooth, but that's about it. It won't mirror the screen on your head unit.

Gotcha. The unit I bought (Sony XAV-AX100) comes with a USB extender and my car has an iPod USB port so I'm just gonna gut that and put this one in. Thanks.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

Is the "phones that matter" list in the OP obsolete? My beloved first-gen Moto X got smashed by the seat bar of a roller coaster.

Heh, my beloved first-gen Moto X was shattered yesterday by my cat getting tangled in the headphone cord and dropping it onto the carpeted floor. 3 years and 3 months of faithful service and it goes out with such little dignity. RIP.

I went with a 5" Pixel to replace it, as it's the only phone without lovely manufacturer customizations that is also sized for people who aren't NBA players. I was planning to wait for a price drop, but my cat forced the issue.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Tim Whatley posted:

You can listen to music via BT without the full AA experience, but if you want the UI and stuff it has to be plugged in via USB.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Take a look at this screenshot. I suppose those tabs are familiar to you guys?

I don't have that poo poo over here. Nowhere to be found.

Nor do I have genre filters on Charts, New Releases or Stations. They were actually missing since Google integrated Songza. Until until a few months ago, when I last checked in, they showed up. But now they're gone again.

I can't really explore anything in this service, except via auto-playlists. And it's only gotten worse since this Songza stuff. In the US/Canada, and maybe some other regions, everything seems dandy. Where I live? No dice.

--edit: FYI, the Android app is similarly knee-capped.

Mine doesn't look anything like that. It has no tabs and has cards, starting with a summary card and going through them all one by one as you scroll down. The first card is new artists, then one is based on the weather (Rainy Day), some are based on past artists I've listened to (Similar to [artist]), and some are moods (Unwinding, Bedtime). Each card has four suggestions arranged in a 2x2 grid.

I use Play Music almost every day, either at work on my phone or at home streaming to one of my many Chromecasts and Homes. I find it to be great for both browsing my library or discovering new music and simply don't have any of the issues you're having. Does the search not work for you? Because all I have to do is search for a genre, mood, or artist and I can start a radio station based on whatever that always fits what I want.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

To whoever was asking about the corkpop noise: its the new Facebook thing that tells you how many notifications, pokes, etc.

It was driving me nuts because it kept going off in my pocket and waking the phone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Because all I have to do is search for a genre, mood, or artist and I can start a radio station based on whatever that always fits what I want.
Well, how do you search for the genre or mood? Do you have drop down menus or other lists to select them from, or do you have to strictly type it out? If it's former, then that's the issue I'm clamoring about, you're having UI elements enabled that I don't.

As far as that screenshot goes, it's probably a specific section, maybe stations or whatever. I don't know, because I can't make those tabs show up. That screenshot is very recent from what I can tell, but obviously not mine.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but ditching the old drill-down options is bad UI. Especially when the music section of the Play Store has them working just fine.

grimcreaper posted:

To whoever was asking about the corkpop noise: its the new Facebook thing that tells you how many notifications, pokes, etc.

It was driving me nuts because it kept going off in my pocket and waking the phone.
At least you can disable it on Android (I hope anyway, I don't use the Facebook not-Messenger client). Back on my short iPhone stint, Facebook Messenger drove me nuts, because notification sounds were perma-enabled (well, they respected DND) and couldn't be changed.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 29, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Well, how do you search for the genre or mood? Do you have drop down menus or other lists to select them from, or do you have to strictly type it out? If it's former, then that's the issue I'm clamoring about, you're having UI elements enabled that I don't.

I just type it out.

Combat Pretzel posted:

As far as that screenshot goes, it's probably a specific section, maybe stations or whatever. I don't know, because I can't make those tabs show up. That screenshot is very recent from what I can tell, but obviously not mine.

Those tabs are visible if you extend the hamburger menu and select "Browse Stations".

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

LastInLine posted:

Those tabs are visible if you extend the hamburger menu and select "Browse Stations".
For me that page has just one tab "All stations".

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ugh whatever jeez posted:

For me that page has just one tab "All stations".
Ditto. "All Stations" is all there is over here, too.

The Top Charts and New Releases sections are also supposed to have filters, implemented as drop-down when you click on the page header. Like so:

Not available here, either.

That's what I'm complaining about. What sane reason would Google have to disable those things based on presumably geographical region? Especially when you're running the UI in English? There's been several complaints threads going on their support forums, the oldest goes back to June 2015. One of their community managers came in and was like "Duh you need to click there", oblivious that it ain't showing to certain demographics.

I mean, it also affects the Android client, to be topical to this thread.

--edit:
Even worse, seems to be tied to accounts. I just used a VPN to the US, poo poo still don't show up, but now there's podcasts. :wtc:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 29, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

because notification sounds were perma-enabled

Jesus loving christ isn't that in flagrant violation of both federal law and a bunch of UN resolutions?

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Top Charts and New Releases sections are also supposed to have filters, implemented as drop-down when you click on the page header. Like so:

Wow, that would make those pages actually useful! No idea I was missing those...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ola posted:

Jesus loving christ isn't that in flagrant violation of both federal law and a bunch of UN resolutions?
As said, if you set DND, they were muted (but so was everything else). I think Apple would have torn them a new one, if it didn't. What pissed me off more is that Facebook insisted on their branding and didn't let you change it. Which is weird, because they let you do that fine in Android. That default notification sound of Messenger riles me up like there's no tomorrow. It's about on the same level as Samsungs famous whistle notification sound, IMO.

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Wow, that would make those pages actually useful! No idea I was missing those...
:toot:

Yea, well, we can't have that. For no apparent reason. As said, this inconsistent UI poo poo started when they've began their Songza integration. Which is like two years ago, and it's been missing since pretty much then.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 29, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

As said, if you set DND, they were muted (but so was everything else).

That's like saying "at least the robber didn't murder me". What an absolute hateful, ridiculous design choice.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ditto. "All Stations" is all there is over here, too.

Not available here, either.

That's what I'm complaining about. What sane reason would Google have to disable those things based on presumably geographical region? Especially when you're running the UI in English? There's been several complaints threads going on their support forums, the oldest goes back to June 2015. One of their community managers came in and was like "Duh you need to click there", oblivious that it ain't showing to certain demographics.

I mean, it also affects the Android client, to be topical to this thread.

--edit:
Even worse, seems to be tied to accounts. I just used a VPN to the US, poo poo still don't show up, but now there's podcasts. :wtc:

Your government probably made them

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Here in Trump's America, everything is working fine so I think we can all agree this is a WONTFIX, right?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I, somewhat on a whim, ordered a used Verizon-model Pixel XL off Swappa last night. How badly am I going to regret my decision? It was nearly half the price of a new XL from Google.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I, somewhat on a whim, ordered a used Verizon-model Pixel XL off Swappa last night. How badly am I going to regret my decision? It was nearly half the price of a new XL from Google.

No reason to regret it at all as far as I know. You can't unlock the bootloader but there isn't any reason to, otherwise it's identical.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What has better battery life, a Pixel XL or an iPhone 7 Plus?

I'm bout to go Big Phone and never look back.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

smoobles posted:

What has better battery life, a Pixel XL or an iPhone 7 Plus?

I'm bout to go Big Phone and never look back.

It 100% depends on your use case.

If you're coming from just about any other Android, though, the XL will be a big upgrade in battery life.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

No reason to regret it at all as far as I know. You can't unlock the bootloader but there isn't any reason to, otherwise it's identical.

Thanks. That makes me feel better. I hope I love it as much as everyone else in this thread.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I have Verizon Pixel, wife has playstore Pixel, haven't noticed any difference with update timing or anything.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Can you use the Verizon pixels on other networks? I assume yes, but it's Verizon so..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Grumpwagon posted:

Can you use the Verizon pixels on other networks? I assume yes, but it's Verizon so..
Yes. Its still SIM unlocked, and will work fine on any US network (and most world networks)