Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Kilroy posted:

I don't think ISIS CURES TROONS means anything by it, he's just a nascent forums stalker I seem to have attracted. Replying to my posts with some sort of right-wing critique of why "liberals" lose elections gets him hard (or wet, as the case may be).

Yeah, I dunno anything about that poster in particular, I've just seen that nonsense repeatedly trotted out in various online places (including this thread) and it's never stopped being ridiculous.

Edit: Dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

No orb, no orb! YOU THE ORB!

:orb:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
No update from https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/ today... STOP KILLING PEOPLE KILLARY KILLTON!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm half-joking

and yeah I'm having a hard time imagining the US breaking up without rampant violence.

On a related note, at which point does a state no longer be a state. Like if, say, Montana gets wiped out due to an overturned train loaded with nerve gas or, less violently, 80-90% of the people just up and abandoned the state and move out, at what point do we have to admit that the state is no longer self-supporting and the territory probably better off being divided among functioning states.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

No update from https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/ today... STOP KILLING PEOPLE KILLARY KILLTON!

They only occasionally do weekend updates now that the first 100 days are over.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Actual countries are like that too. Japan's mineral imports dwarf its domestic production, especially for things like iron ore.

But... But trade deficits! :qq: :sad:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Young Freud posted:

On a related note, at which point does a state no longer be a state. Like if, say, Montana gets wiped out due to an overturned train loaded with nerve gas or, less violently, 80-90% of the people just up and abandoned the state and move out, at what point do we have to admit that the state is no longer self-supporting and the territory probably better off being divided among functioning states.

Theoretically, the legislature of Montana would have to consent to any such move, or otherwise to the cessation of statehood in any way.

In general, any alterations in the relationship between a territory and the union require the consent of the legislature of the territory and question and Congress.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Quorum posted:

Theoretically, the legislature of Montana would have to consent to any such move, or otherwise to the cessation of statehood in any way.

In general, any alterations in the relationship between a territory and the union require the consent of the legislature of the territory and question and Congress.

In addition, the state failing to participate in federal government or even form a state government. Like if Montana was unable to hold elections for a legislative delegation, elect delegates to attend the electoral college, and no longer have the various state offices.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
So... was someone burning documents in the oven and venting off the smoke?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trump is practicing the wild new dance moves he learned from Macron :siren::slick::siren:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Trump is practicing the wild new dance moves he learned from Macron :siren::slick::siren:
He knew the moves The OA was searching for all along.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Acid Haze posted:

And lighting them on fire with, what, road flares?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

America really is evil

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Acid Haze posted:

He was just calibrating his own palantir after having practiced with one in Saudi Arabia. Couldn't wrest control away from Sauron, though. Hands were too small.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Archonex posted:

Something tells me that anyone that thinks following through on an idea like that is remarkably in love with themselves.
Isn't that the whole point of Objectivism?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hizawk posted:

America really is evil

This stuff has made me reevaluate things in the opposite direction, the resurgence of russia has sort of illustrated a different possible reality than the US hegemony of the last few decades. Certainly would have wished for better things still, but it is rather startling to realize how bad things can get yet.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Quorum posted:

Rump United States Northeast megalopolis for the win.

Mega-City One you mean.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Young Freud posted:

Presumably at a certain point after enough people moved out the remainders would just do it themselves out of malicious stupidity.

Like those rurals who unincorporate their towns because "no goddurned elitist know-it-all polesmoker is gonna tell me three feet of horseshit in my backyard is a public health hazard" and then die in the darkness wondering why the roads don't get paved and the streetlights don't come on anymore.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 29, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Hell I bet if you got enough signatures for a de-statehood referendum on the ballot in Montana today, you could just blanket the state with television ads showing state legislators like reading a book or finishing sixth grade or buying an LED lightbulb or talking to a reporter instead of chokeslamming him, etc with a voiceover "the Helena government is nothing but gay homo college professor eggheads who think their lightbulbs are better than yours, show those elitists they can't tell Montana what to do, let's send the government packing, vote yes for independence, yes for incurp—ununcor—unincerper—for not being a state no more", it may not win just yet but the vote would at least be close.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 29, 2017

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Presumably at a certain point after enough people moved out the remainders would just do it themselves out of malicious stupidity.

Like those rurals who unincorporate their towns because "no goddurned elitist know-it-all polesmoker is gonna tell me three feet of horseshit in my backyard is a public health hazard" and then die in the darkness wondering why the roads don't get paved and the streetlights don't come on anymore.

This is fascinating and hilarious in a sick way. :stare: I kinda wish they'd do an update on the place now 3 years later. I mean, did they sell the community center? Do the streetlights come on anymore? Does it look like a hellscape out of a poorly-funded zombie TV movie?

I really want to know what happens to these places because it will be happening everywhere, soon. :unsmigghh:

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Ripoff posted:

This is fascinating and hilarious in a sick way. :stare: I kinda wish they'd do an update on the place now 3 years later. I mean, did they sell the community center? Do the streetlights come on anymore? Does it look like a hellscape out of a poorly-funded zombie TV movie?

I really want to know what happens to these places because it will be happening everywhere, soon. :unsmigghh:

Radiolab did a pretty good show on this:

http://www.radiolab.org/story/seneca-nebraska/

"Our town is still our town in our hearts, and those ~others~ aren't part of it now!"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lizard Combatant posted:

Fake news man says my thinking's impaired.
Woahhhh-oohhhh, treated so unfair!

Tommy used to work on the docks
Unions don't exist
the liberals just mock
It's tough, so tough

Gina works the diner all day
$2.13 minimum wage
She brings home her pay
For love, for love

She says, "We've gotta hold on to what we've got.
Now that Trump's in office, no more moral rot
We've got each other and that's a lot.
which is good, because we can't afford our shots

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So what was the deal with the rave lights in the White House?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

:orb:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It's cool, they just forgot to black out the windows before their monthly status report to the devil.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

There Bias Two posted:

The red light was a signal to the Soviets to begin.

Any moment now thousands of mammoth tanks will pour across the Mexican border, hundreds of Kirov airships will rain destruction upon our coastal cities, and millions of conscripts will wash over our lands.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mustached Demon posted:

The red light was a signal to the Soviets to begin.

Any moment now thousands of mammoth tanks will pour across the Mexican border, hundreds of Kirov airships will rain destruction upon our coastal cities, and millions of conscripts will wash over our lands.

So the same as any other day according to border patrol?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Pretty sure they just dug up Ford's corpse and held a prom.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

:iiam:

But seriously, it's in the kitchen/dining room at about 9pm, so I'm thinking it's a smoke/fire alarm.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Spicer probably tried to boil water.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

OhDearGodNo posted:

But seriously, it's in the kitchen/dining room at about 9pm, so I'm thinking it's a smoke/fire alarm.

Trump steaks gonna burn.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

OhDearGodNo posted:

Donny burnt his Lean Cuisine.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Spicer probably tried to boil water.

cinnagum stew

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FalseNegative posted:

Radiolab did a pretty good show on this:

http://www.radiolab.org/story/seneca-nebraska/

"Our town is still our town in our hearts, and those ~others~ aren't part of it now!"

Well I guess the comments answer the question about the street lights

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Drone posted:

Donny burnt his Lean Cuisine.

Could it just be red light treatment for trumps jetlag?

E: apparently its a "rejuvenation" treatment

ShredsYouSay fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 29, 2017

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

lol

All hail orb

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ShredsYouSay posted:

Could it just be red light treatment for trumps jetlag?

E: apparently its a "rejuvenation" treatment

I'm picturing the dream mask from Die Another Day.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

catspleen posted:

lol

All hail orb

That's the Capitol!

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

VanSandman posted:

That's the Capitol!

Don't blame me, I voted for kodos

shock cinema mag posted:

Writer-director Paul Leder is best known for effective low-rent horror dreck like MY FRIENDS NEED KILLING and I DISMEMBER MAMA, but he took a very different route with this post-Watergate tale of sex, corruption and abuse of government power. Although chock full of lurid, exploitable elements -- nudity, rape, prostitution, lesbians -- its refreshingly cynical attitude nudges it above the usual drive-in drivel. It also poses an intriguing question: should an honest politician be destroyed by immoral past actions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

Some people were saying it was them sweeping for bugs. Something about lasers that detect cameras.

• Locked thread