Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wrist Watch posted:

Could I make a tiny feature request?

Would it be feasible to make it so long pressing on an emoticon brings up a toast with its bbcode or something of the sort? On my computer I can just hover over it to see what it is if I don't recognize it or can't tell what it's supposed to be or whatever, but in Awful I have to quote the post and check that way. If it's a closed or archived thread there's no way to tell if I don't already remember.

If it'd be a pain then don't bother, it's not a huge deal. Thanks for working on the app by the way, the update's really good.

I had a look at it, I think it'll be pretty simple so long as it doesn't interfere with anything else (like pausing gifs). :yayclod: works, :frogbon: is uncooperative as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

baka kaba posted:

I had a look at it, I think it'll be pretty simple so long as it doesn't interfere with anything else (like pausing gifs). :yayclod: works, :frogbon: is uncooperative as usual

Oh cool, thanks!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Could y'all add a feature that would open the forum in a browser?

I love the app, but wish I could make threads here. Barring that development, however, a shortcut to the forums in browser would be cool.

Regardless, Thanks for your efforts

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The future of the forums is kinda up in the air, don't hold your breath about thread creation!

Opening the mobile site in the app is possible but probably a bunch of work, especially if it's meant to be all fancy like opening the current forum or whatever. Might take a look. If you just want an 'open the site' button it would be easier to just add a bookmark in Chrome (especially if you have Awful set to handle the site's urls)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So I just got a new phone and did the cabled phone transfer/transfusion with my old phone, and the Awful app was smart enough to pull all of my login credentials and immediately log me back in on the new phone, while the official Facebook app wasn't. So good job on that one goons.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

I cant unbookmark archived threads..it replaces the unbookmark button with 'archived'

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Just mirroring forum behavior ™

You can unbookmark in the bookmark thread-list by longpressing the thread

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Kinda late to the party, but I just saw post preview finally work, for the first time (first time I've even tried it for a while) . Thank you!

(Galaxy S5, in case you wanna know.)

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Sereri posted:

Just mirroring forum behavior ™

You can unbookmark in the bookmark thread-list by longpressing the thread

Oh wow you can longpress a thread :science:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I used the "set last read post" feature in the Trump thread because refreshes kept taking me to not the last post. Left the thread and saw this post count:

Doesn't appear to cause any further problems. Just wanted to let you know.

Edit: I'm on a Pixel XL, if that makes any difference.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 1, 2017

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Hah, kinda like FYAD, and it's that thread. This is one smart app.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh lord what have you people found now :can:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

For what it's worth, someone reported the exact same issue in the iOS app a few days ago, so maybe it's actually a weird forums bug?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Noooooo it isn't

I hoped it was

but

it's not :stoked:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I was browsing the forums in bed, and the app crashed when my phone slipped and fell on my face. Can anyone else replicate this?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

There Bias Two posted:

I was browsing the forums in bed, and the app crashed when my phone slipped and fell on my face. Can anyone else replicate this?
Sounds like the app crashed into your face.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
I used the app to visit an archived thread linked through Google search in chrome web browser. Now it seems that when I back out of the app, when I come back, it opens up on the archived thread. Even if I was looking at another thread when I backed out of the app. I also tried using the sidebar to get to my bookmarks, and it wouldn't work. I could swipe to bookmarks like normal though. On a Pixel, if that matters.

Not app breaking, just a little weird. Only happened like twice so far, so I don't know if it will end up resolving itself somehow. I'd also like to express my thanks for the fine folks that work on this app. It really turned my phone into a device that can do everything. Any word/news about the xenforo migration? I really don't know much about how it works. Would it be fairly easy to just tweak some code, and bam, works with xenforo?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

There Bias Two posted:

Can you replicate it? Does it happen in portrait and landscape? What about with tweets and videos enabled/disabled? Or pull to refresh?

This is a pretty serious issue so if you can do some tests that would help a lot!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

crack mayor posted:

I used the app to visit an archived thread linked through Google search in chrome web browser. Now it seems that when I back out of the app, when I come back, it opens up on the archived thread. Even if I was looking at another thread when I backed out of the app. I also tried using the sidebar to get to my bookmarks, and it wouldn't work. I could swipe to bookmarks like normal though. On a Pixel, if that matters.

Not app breaking, just a little weird. Only happened like twice so far, so I don't know if it will end up resolving itself somehow. I'd also like to express my thanks for the fine folks that work on this app. It really turned my phone into a device that can do everything. Any word/news about the xenforo migration? I really don't know much about how it works. Would it be fairly easy to just tweak some code, and bam, works with xenforo?

Yeah that's an issue at the moment, if you open the app at a certain thread (from an external link) it sticks in weird ways until you close and reopen the app. It's on the to-do list!

lol at the second part. The code's pretty intertwined with the way SA works, it's always being worked on to separate things out but who knows when the move will happen and how much work it'll be at that point

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Can you replicate it? Does it happen in portrait and landscape? What about with tweets and videos enabled/disabled? Or pull to refresh?

This is a pretty serious issue so if you can do some tests that would help a lot!

Also try different heights, it might be an issue with your phone's accelerometer.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

baka kaba posted:

I tried dropping it onto my bed from various controlled heights and orientations to no avail. I'll next attempt to drop it from my roof to see if a sudden stop is required to trigger the crash.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Yeah that's an issue at the moment, if you open the app at a certain thread (from an external link) it sticks in weird ways until you close and reopen the app. It's on the to-do list!

lol at the second part. The code's pretty intertwined with the way SA works, it's always being worked on to separate things out but who knows when the move will happen and how much work it'll be at that point

Yup, restarted my phone and that did the trick. I only thought about the xenforo thing because the most recent announcement from the taxman. Thanks again for your hard work!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ Yeah unfortunately it's not as flexible as it could be. In an ideal world it would be pretty easy to point the stuff at different urls, read the necessary bits on the new pages, change some internal organisation to reflect the new setup, that kind of thing. But this is a 100% organic Goon Project that's grown around Radium's magical creation, so it's all pretty wild

There Bias Two posted:

I tried dropping it onto my bed from various controlled heights and orientations to no avail. I'll next attempt to drop it from my roof to see if a sudden stop is required to trigger the crash.

It's a capacitive screen, pretty sure you need to drop it on your face again to trigger whatever caused it

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 8, 2017

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

baka kaba posted:

It's a capacitive screen, pretty sure you need to drop it on your face again to trigger whatever caused it

And you need to provide video evidence so they can tell exactly what happened.

V:hfive:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Yes, it's important to recreate the exact conditions that caused the initial crash. Maybe take a video of it to make sure that we can all see what happened.

e: dammit

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

Actually you know what, I think I know what's causing it.

Could you by any chance get ahold of an AndroidTV capable television?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sereri posted:

Actually you know what, I think I know what's causing it.

Could you by any chance get ahold of an AndroidTV capable television?

possibly?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

There Bias Two posted:

Can you give a rough estimate of how moist your hands, face, and bedding were at the time? And a breakdown by substance, if available.

Simple​ hyperhidrosis clamminess shouldn't be enough to crash this robust app.

Edit: also, how large are your hands and face? Like Marfans, Trump, average?

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 8, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

sweart gliwere posted:

Can you give a rough estimate of how moist your hands, face, and bedding were at the time? And a breakdown by substance, if available.

Simple​ hyperhidrosis clamminess shouldn't be enough to crash this robust app.

Edit: also, how large are your hands and face? Like Marfans, Trump, average?

My hands were dry, I was just jostled by the 80 lb Doberman trying to get under my comforter. I would say my face is average size, but I have large hands, roughly 10.5 in. span from thumb to pinky.

My face was likely not moist, but I can't rule out the presence of dog drool on my bedding at that moment.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

crack mayor posted:

Yup, restarted my phone and that did the trick. I only thought about the xenforo thing because the most recent announcement from the taxman. Thanks again for your hard work!
Don't worry, the forums will be transferred to xenForo once version 2.0 is ready, which has only been in development for 3 years

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

crack mayor posted:

You can probably also fix it by closing the app from the app switcher and relaunching it; that works for me when I encounter the same problem.

And if we're lucky the new Xenforo will have a good mobile site layout right out of the box.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Just a question / request, any way or plans to make thread titles optional when reading?

Phone space ends up feeling a bit cramped compared to tablet, it'd be cool to have an option for the title bar to toggle either: off, or slide down when up-scrolling

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The app just stopped being able to retreive the forums data out of nowhere a few days ago. I've re-installed it but that made no difference. Am I missing something here?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MiddleOne posted:

The app just stopped being able to retreive the forums data out of nowhere a few days ago. I've re-installed it but that made no difference. Am I missing something here?

What happens if you try to access the forums from your mobile browser?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Works fine.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What do you mean exactly? Is the main forum list empty, or do you mean thread lists don't refresh

If it's the empty forum list, you can go into the settings and force an update in there - it shouldn't take too long but it's not instantaneous, so if it stops immediately then it's having trouble accessing the site. You could try logging out and back in again

Also are you saying you had a full list and then one day it said 'no data', and you didn't clear your app data or anything? It should only ever update the data you already have

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Small suggestion: could there be some sort of visual notifier if something connection-wise is going wrong?

Every once in a while a thread won't load. The blue bar above will have the title, there's no loading bar below it, and the circular reload button is unresponsive. Sometimes it'll fix itself if I go to another thread, sometimes it requires a full close-and-reload, and sometimes the Loading Failed thing will come up 3 minutes after the fact.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah it could be better - the blue loading bar shows you the progress of something that's loading, but there can be a bunch of requests going on, so they can all affect that bar and reset it and so on. And if anything times out you'll get that Loading Failed message when it does, even if you moved on to something else

It's not an easy fix basically! But yeah I'll add it as an issue

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Why can't new threads be made using this app? I would expect it would have been implemented already. Also, how is the forum switch from vBulletin to XenForo going to affect the awful app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I believe thread creation is intentionally omitted for fewer literal shitposts.