Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

glynnenstein posted:

Cops never wear their seatbelts, or at least city cops where I am don't. 100% the belt is buckled in behind the driver so the chime doesn't go off all day long and they just drive around sitting on the belt driving like maniacs. Pretty crazy and I expect it's a big factor in how many are killed or injured in crashes.

It definitely does... the reason most do it is because if you have to get out of the vehicle quickly, the belt is going to catch on all of the poo poo on your belt. You'll get hung up and kinda stuck until you unfuck yourself.

I had the same experience in a different life, doing basically law enforcement work under a contract with a municipality. I always wore my seltbelt and I got hung up a few times because of it. Saved my rear end when I got t-boned by a drunk driver while on patrol... but both vehicles were doing 30 mph, and all I ended up with was some deep bruising on the front part of my upper thighs (aside from really bad whiplash). I feel confident in believing that if it was a higher speed accident that both of my femurs may have been broken.

You really only have two options with the belt... place it above the belt and over your abdomen, or under the belt at the tops of your thighs. directly over the belt is really uncomfortable and may slide up/down anyways for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a rule that says humans have to drive the cars? I'm imagining a computer would do a better job on closed tracks.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

qkkl posted:

Is there a rule that says humans have to drive the cars? I'm imagining a computer would do a better job on closed tracks.

A computer won't pour milk on its face when it wins. Also, if it's all AI-controlled, you're just watching a bunch of robots run racecar.bat, which takes some of the fun out of it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Maybe have man vs machine. A team of human drivers vs a team of AI.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Have human drivers, just don't put them in the cars. I figure that's got to save a significant amount of weight.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How come drone car racing isn't a thing? You could go the battlebots route and it'll be :krad:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

How come drone car racing isn't a thing? You could go the battlebots route and it'll be :krad:

That's how I figured humans vs robots would end. All but one robot suiciding down all the humans.

Actually I think that's how humanity ends.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

qkkl posted:

They've been talking about doing fully autonomous races for a couple years now, buy your tickets now for Roborace 2020.

Also they will get there eventually but we're a long way off from automated cars being able to match or surpass something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO6HyNj8Owk

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Mustached Demon posted:

That's how I figured humans vs robots would end. All but one robot suiciding down all the humans.

Actually I think that's how humanity ends.

That's wayyyyy more :black101: than nations starving and invading each other because of climate change.
I vote R&D for this armageddon immediately.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 29, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

More OSHA from that Indy incident:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

drat it, now i kinda want to start following F1 again. Just need to figure out who to follow; what's Good Lotus up to these days?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

There's flying drone racing. I almost wonder if it would be possible to hook one up with a stereo camera and VR headset and basically play scale model F-Zero.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Not really thrown just neglegient design encountering the laws of physics

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Isn't that exactly what these guys are doing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR4Gq9qfpnM You can see they all have headsets on. Don't know if they're getting stereo vision though.

Edit: Found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icx4uEi-kPY
Tried viewing it with google cardboard style headset and felt a bit sick tbh.

Budgie fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 29, 2017

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Tristesse posted:

Yup. My old roommate rolled her truck due to bad driving, and was also not wearing a seat beat. She flew out into the back of someone else's car and nearly killed two passengers.

Counterpoint I have a relative that only lost the tip of their thumb versus their life like ,everyone else that remained in the vehicle, because they weren't wearing a seat belt. Never wear a seatbelt;t if you want to live.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

glynnenstein posted:

Cops never wear their seatbelts, or at least city cops where I am don't. 100% the belt is buckled in behind the driver so the chime doesn't go off all day long and they just drive around sitting on the belt driving like maniacs. Pretty crazy and I expect it's a big factor in how many are killed or injured in crashes.

Yeah most of the ones I know that don't wear it say they don't in case they get ambushed and need to react fast. Of course it is much more likely they will get thrown through the window and hurt which is what happened to the husband of a nurse friend of mine. She was actually working in the ER when they bought him in. Always buckle up...

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

It definitely does... the reason most do it is because if you have to get out of the vehicle quickly, the belt is going to catch on all of the poo poo on your belt. You'll get hung up and kinda stuck until you unfuck yourself.

I had the same experience in a different life, doing basically law enforcement work under a contract with a municipality. I always wore my seltbelt and I got hung up a few times because of it. Saved my rear end when I got t-boned by a drunk driver while on patrol... but both vehicles were doing 30 mph, and all I ended up with was some deep bruising on the front part of my upper thighs (aside from really bad whiplash). I feel confident in believing that if it was a higher speed accident that both of my femurs may have been broken.

You really only have two options with the belt... place it above the belt and over your abdomen, or under the belt at the tops of your thighs. directly over the belt is really uncomfortable and may slide up/down anyways for whatever reason.

My brother was in a 120+ mph chase before the transmission in his car gave out and he told me he realized he was doing that without a seatbelt about halfway through. I told him I was glad the transmission went out and he said gently caress that, the guy got away and he had to drive 10 miles on the shoulder of the highway at 8 mph with his lights and siren on to get back to the city because they had no tows available.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Volcott posted:

A computer won't pour milk on its face when it wins. Also, if it's all AI-controlled, you're just watching a bunch of robots run racecar.bat, which takes some of the fun out of it.

Someone hasn't watched Saltybet :colbert:

neonbregna posted:

Counterpoint I have a relative that only lost the tip of their thumb versus their life like ,everyone else that remained in the vehicle, because they weren't wearing a seat belt. Never wear a seatbelt;t if you want to live.

Tremendously non-OSHA advice. Safety first, including seat belts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

neonbregna posted:

yeah, and if you wear a motorcycle helmet, in a crash it drags along the ground and twists and snaps your neck, whereas the skin on your skull slides and rotates and protects your brain

-- literally a thing some morons believe

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

neonbregna posted:

The two passengers in my roommate's car both buckled up and walked away. The one person who did not turned one potential paraplegic into three. I personally refused to ride anywhere with her behind the wheel because of her lack of regard for basic safety.

I've been in a fair few accidents myself because Floridians can't drive and I always walked away because I buckle up.

And it wasn't her weight that really hurt the people in the other car, it was her skull turning into a flying projectile. She got some major brain damage from it all but is somehow alive and walking around.

For every anecdotal story I hear from someone who didn't wear a seatbelt and they were fine I hear 5 more where people were horrifically maimed or killed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would like to know what situation neonbregna's relative was in where she was safer without the seatbelt. What happened? Did the car fly off a cliff into the ocean? Did it gently bump into a wall and then instantly explode, like in the movies? Was it stomped on by a godzilla?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

TVs Ian posted:

There's flying drone racing. I almost wonder if it would be possible to hook one up with a stereo camera and VR headset and basically play scale model F-Zero.

A guy at work the other day mentioned getting a VR head set and a drone and then smoking weed and laying on your couch and pretending you are superman and flying the drone around outside your house as you just lay on the couch and I was like "holy poo poo if I was still in my weedsmoking days I'd probably just quit my entire career and get a divorce and devote myself to that full time"

For some reason I'd just never thought of putting that all together and it seems like a blast. I have a small river that runs right across from my house and it'd be a bomb to fly the drone right over the water and through the trees that run along it.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I would like to know what situation neonbregna's relative was in where she was safer without the seatbelt.

When I was a dumb high school kid that didn't wear a seat belt all the time about a million years ago, I noticed a car was going to hit the passenger door I was seated next to when my friend failed to yield and slid over next to him on the bench seat of his Buick LeSabre. All the emergency responders were astonished that I wasn't injured at all. This is an extremely stupid reason to not wear a seat belt though. Bench seating isn't a thing anymore and I was just lucky I noticed a car about to hit us.

Wear your loving seat belt you goddamn morons.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Seatbelts just trap you in the burning wreckage and guarantee you die, it's like the airplane crash position, its supposed to kill you so you can't sue.

:v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

neonbregna posted:

Never wear a seatbelt;t if you want to live.

You are fantastically loving stupid. I mean, gently caress, you are ignorant.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/zS4ZBbX.mp4

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You are fantastically loving stupid. I mean, gently caress, you are ignorant.

:thejoke:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Truck vs freight elevator: elevator wins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UViDy4wbMsk

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
That's just how we stack em at work. You can fit a lot more truck into a smaller space that way.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, and if you wear a motorcycle helmet, in a crash it drags along the ground and twists and snaps your neck, whereas the skin on your skull slides and rotates and protects your brain

-- literally a thing some morons believe

"If you wear a helmet, you'll wreck and end up a quadriplegic the rest of your life, gently caress that, I'd rather gamble and just die completely over a knock to the head" "I'd also prefer to take my chances with extensive skin grafts and infection at age 60 over being too hot in traffic"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A guy posted in the motorcycle forum a couple years ago about his cousin who held precisely that attitude, the "I'd rather die instantly than be crippled for life" stuff, and then he crashed his Harley at 20 miles an hour and whacked his helmet-less head on the curb and now has brain damage and can't walk or speak properly any more.

Whoops.

Meanwhile if you wear proper protective gear you can get in a crash like this and literally walk it off
https://twitter.com/rendicahya/status/865908340001341442

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Please read this very informative and also :gonk: and :nws: article on pre-anesthetic urological procedures.

https://thechirurgeonsapprentice.com/2017/05/29/painful-operations-removing-bladder-stones-before-anesthesia/

Here's a safe for work preview image.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tristesse posted:

The two passengers in my roommate's car both buckled up and walked away. The one person who did not turned one potential paraplegic into three. I personally refused to ride anywhere with her behind the wheel because of her lack of regard for basic safety.

I've been in a fair few accidents myself because Floridians can't drive and I always walked away because I buckle up.

And it wasn't her weight that really hurt the people in the other car, it was her skull turning into a flying projectile. She got some major brain damage from it all but is somehow alive and walking around.

For every anecdotal story I hear from someone who didn't wear a seatbelt and they were fine I hear 5 more where people were horrifically maimed or killed.

It's almost as if it's a mandatory safety device backed up by a literal gently caress ton of evidential statistics because people are too loving stupid to be trusted.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Budgie posted:

Isn't that exactly what these guys are doing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR4Gq9qfpnM You can see they all have headsets on. Don't know if they're getting stereo vision though.

Edit: Found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icx4uEi-kPY
Tried viewing it with google cardboard style headset and felt a bit sick tbh.

Because that's the human body condition working for you. Your body is seeing that you're moving really fast but it doesn't feel like that in your body. Your body can't connect those two senses and the result is you feeling barfy.

A lot of virtual reality game programmers are finding out that it's easier to have an in game persona to warp to a different spot than to find the correct rate of travel speed between the start and where you want to go.

Kind of like how pigeons and other birds process the world. They lock their head into position, move their body, then while moving their head to catch up to the body their sight is sort of disconnected to stop sending images to the brain of the moving bits of the sequence and just replay what they saw before the head move. Then when the head gets there, camera is back on.

Humans have this too to a slighter degree. If you ever quickly move your head to look at a clock with a moving second hand , it sometimes looks like the second hand is frozen for a moment. Through years of evolution your brain and eyes have gotten their poo poo together to make it not a barf rollercoaster each time you move your head and gives your something to look at before it starts figuring out what is actually moving due to the head movement and what is moving by itself.

I know of the effect above is real because I have seen it a lot of times and not until 5 years ago I knew why it did that.

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

Holy crap. Ever since I was a kid I always wondered why second hands always seemed frozen in place for longer than a second when I first looked at a clock sometimes. I never realized it was an actual normal thing, and not just some skewed perception I had. That's really neat and fascinating. I wonder, then, if the strength of this ability varies between person to person and may be a reason some people are more prone to motion sickness than others, especially in things such as first person video games.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
This drone race is nice.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

EVIL Gibson posted:

Because that's the human body condition working for you.
God damnit, you made me learn. I don't come here to learn.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
Ms. Dipple is a goddamn menace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFEXGYP1r1A&t=25s

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Why did he turn the wheel right, into the car, at the very last moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHdYvq-x2-8&t=524s

http://i.imgur.com/ffOtd5u.gifv

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

Why did he turn the wheel right, into the car, at the very last moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHdYvq-x2-8&t=524s

http://i.imgur.com/ffOtd5u.gifv

Maybe he was trying to hit the car square, instead of glancing off and getting spun to who knows where? When I was learning to drive, I was taught that if you're gonna hit a deer, do your best to nail it with the direct center of the car, since that gives the best chance of staying under control after impact. Obviously didn't work here, but that's where my mind went first.