Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, you make it look so easy. When I try to shoot that fast with an AR at that range, I can't even manage to hit the skybox. I'm that XCOM solder with the shotgun standing next to the alien with 50% chance to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Jerkface posted:

I wish all the guns showed the bullets like that so i could get better at sniping.

If you hold left click after shooting it keeps the sights up so you can watch the bullet, useful for dialing in kar98k shots.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Jimbot posted:

Man, you make it look so easy. When I try to shoot that fast with an AR at that range, I can't even manage to hit the skybox. I'm that XCOM solder with the shotgun standing next to the alien with 50% chance to hit.

That's not him. He's much worse.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

That's not him. He's much worse.

It's true, our last win at the academy next to Lipovka mainly happened because the guy couldn't get in the last zone due to the fence/lack of doors in the building on that side.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I join duo with a mate, and right away I can tell he's not in the mood. We land in a small cluster of houses with two enemies landing beside us. They rush into one house, we rush into another. I grab a pistol that only has 15 bullets, he grabs a pan. He gets downed by the enemies and I manage to kill both with just the 15 bullets. We loot the bodies, meaning we've both got weapons (a shotgun each and a pistol each). We then move to a nearby village, start taking fire, I kill the enemy with my pistol at medium range, then go to loot the body. My teammate stands right beside me and says "I'm definitely watching your back", even though I kinda knew he was doing that to make it easier for us to both get killed. Some people in a church start opening fire on us, I suppress them with the SCAR I picked up and tell him they're there. I manage to down one, forcing them to back off. We slowly make our way up the hill, my teammate instantly dies and I go and kill both enemies in the church.

I quit to lobby cause it was early game and I don't feel like going solo in a duo game. We play a few more games with real bad luck then I just call it a night cause I can tell my friend just isn't in the mood despite inviting me.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

suck my diiiiiick, i'm a shaaaaaark

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Why am I not at this level?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Safetyland posted:

Sometimes I get stuck in a shed outside a house because someone creeps up with a shotty and kills me 3 minutes into the game.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

I never had a silencer the whole time so...

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Turns out the VSS is pretty good. I got it first item at crates and went on to kill 4 with it and chicken dinner. I sprayed the final guy down with a SCAR in third person but i think i actually would have done better sticking with the VSS the whole way through.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I stumbled on the underground bunker/tunnel system for the first time a few games back. It might have just been the way the circle closed in but I was first there first, looted up good, then camped it out for a solid 10 minutes. Good place to get some kills on some unsuspecting looters who think they're down there alone.

I died more or less as soon as I had to surface :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, I'm done playing this game solo.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

willroc7 posted:

Turns out the VSS is pretty good. I got it first item at crates and went on to kill 4 with it and chicken dinner. I sprayed the final guy down with a SCAR in third person but i think i actually would have done better sticking with the VSS the whole way through.

It is a murder machine used properly. Really hard for people to isolate when you peg people with it, and it has a pretty good effectiveness at close-mid range.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I'm done playing this game solo.

What's wrong with solo? Genuinely curious, I've never played it as I always play with friends. But one of these days I was gonna bash out tonnes of solo games just to pick up experience in gun fights and stuff. It lets me reset real quick if I end up dying.

unlawfulsoup posted:

It is a murder machine used properly. Really hard for people to isolate when you peg people with it, and it has a pretty good effectiveness at close-mid range.

If I get shot at by someone with a suppressor, I just start zig zag running. I figure if they're far away, it'll make shooting me near impossible, or insanely difficult. If they're close by, I'd probably be dead in the time I manage to luckily find the right side of cover.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Solo is good if you drop into a crowded area and have some fun early brawls. I'm not a fan of solo queuing myself but it's always a good time when you do that.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Solo is good if you drop into a crowded area and have some fun early brawls. I'm not a fan of solo queuing myself but it's always a good time when you do that.

That's exactly what I'd use it for, seems the best way to play solo. I wouldn't plan on being the last alive, I'd just drop right off the bat in the nearest town to get better at house fights and stuff.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you drop somewhere hotly contested, you either end up with fantastic gear, or you die quick and can queue up for another one.

Way better than crawling around for ten minutes with crappy gear and then dying to someone who got the good loot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, except if I just wanted a 'shoot internet mans' experience there are definitely smoother ones. I just don't find solo terribly fun, and I think that's because it's a lot more fun having extra eyes and ears to help loot and listen.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yep totally agreed. In anything past one person there's more forgiveness for getting shot at from an unknown direction - with some friends you can narrow it down, revive anyone who's unlucky. In solo you have less than a second in a lot of situations and then you're dead.

Edit: Not to say I can stop shoving my face into the meatgrinder though!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
there are some things you can only do in solo though, like picking off some rear end in a top hat camping a window or ledge from long range

in teams he would just get revived and now you gave away your whole squads position for nothing

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
What I like about solo mode is if I get clever and do something smart, there isn't an rear end in a top hat 20 feet away from the person I just shot who will shoot me and revive him.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Got my hands on a VSS for the first time, in the second house I checked in a solo game. Got to #6 with 4 kills, but flubbed up on someone who was close by with an S12K. Goddamn, the range on that thing sometimes.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

This latest patch has been doing me real dirty. I've had plenty of instant deaths with no down but not out stuff with team games, alongside a handful of instances where I've been one shot downed by a single body AR hit when armored up. Couple of those good insane vehicle bounce deaths too. The biggest thing by far though is I've been getting these weird framerate hitches that weren't present before. It seems like in general performance is a little better, but now whenever I do any kind of quick turns it's a crapshoot as to whether my game will hang for a few seconds or not. It's lost me a good half dozen firefights where I knew something was coming and reacted with fast enough movement to make it poo poo the bed; Quick 180s to try and face someone sneaking up, or even like a fast ~90 degree turn around a corner where someone's waiting. That kind of thing. Sorry if it was discussed already when the patch first hit, but has anyone else been getting that hanging and is there anything that might be done to rectify it? I feel like the game itself is loving me over more than the other players recently.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The servers aren't super laggy today but I got pretty bad since I last played a week ago

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Dang does the new AKM damage (post boost) do enough to 1 hit kill at close range with a level 3 helmet?

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/BattleRoyaleMod/status/869015542887206912

We're getting there!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Thank loving god. I dropped into Mylta power plant or whatever, the burned out warehouse and got stuck with a 1911 vs a rifle so I ran to the roof and jumped onto the pipes. Promptly fell through the pipe grating and got stuck. Couldnt crouch my way out, jump out, or prone out. I waited for the other guy to get near and fired at him so he could kill me. Vaulting out would be welcome. Also spent a lot of the night being frustrated at all the various low walls i can't jump over.

In other news the VSS is actually loving dirty in the final circle. Since everyone is usually shooting and exchanging fire people usually: 1. not at full health which means the lower damage is less of a problem 2. distracted which makes the vss even more clutch at disrupting fights without drawing attention 3. full auto which lets you spray into bushes you think have wookies

Managed to chicken dinner with a vss & a scar. Only used the scar for the last guy since he had to run through no man's land. Posted up behind a tree and watched for the runners to start causing havoc and got some chip shots in. Finished off a guy who just survived a fight and only took a body shot and headshot with level 2 helmet and unknown vest.

If they buff the gun at all its gonna be even dirtier.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Loopoo posted:

I join duo with a mate, and right away I can tell he's not in the mood. We land in a small cluster of houses with two enemies landing beside us. They rush into one house, we rush into another. I grab a pistol that only has 15 bullets, he grabs a pan. He gets downed by the enemies and I manage to kill both with just the 15 bullets. We loot the bodies, meaning we've both got weapons (a shotgun each and a pistol each). We then move to a nearby village, start taking fire, I kill the enemy with my pistol at medium range, then go to loot the body. My teammate stands right beside me and says "I'm definitely watching your back", even though I kinda knew he was doing that to make it easier for us to both get killed. Some people in a church start opening fire on us, I suppress them with the SCAR I picked up and tell him they're there. I manage to down one, forcing them to back off. We slowly make our way up the hill, my teammate instantly dies and I go and kill both enemies in the church.

I quit to lobby cause it was early game and I don't feel like going solo in a duo game. We play a few more games with real bad luck then I just call it a night cause I can tell my friend just isn't in the mood despite inviting me.

Quit using this thread to bitch at your friends yo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Dang does the new AKM damage (post boost) do enough to 1 hit kill at close range with a level 3 helmet?

Depending on close range, but probably no.

Glad to see I'm not the only one talking about the one shot deaths though, thought I might be going crazy.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Jerkface posted:

If they buff the gun at all its gonna be even dirtier.

They want to buff the VSS?!

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I can't believe they buffed the VSS!

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

EU servers are loving making GBS threads themselves. Why the gently caress wouldn't they make the lag/netcode/optimization/whatever the first priority on the list anyway? Are they even able to properly get it right along the way?

LE
Oct 19, 2002

Went up to the north. Got lucky and punched some dude to death the moment I landed. Ran over to the nearest cluster of buildings. Thought I was alone. Heard a door open in the building I was rounding the corner on. And then this unfolded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi29Dk1LMSw

LE fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 29, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snapes N Snapes posted:

EU servers are loving making GBS threads themselves. Why the gently caress wouldn't they make the lag/netcode/optimization/whatever the first priority on the list anyway? Are they even able to properly get it right along the way?

It is first on the priority list, it's just a much more difficult fix because apparently the issues are caused by something in the core UE4 code.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

LE posted:

Went up to the north. Got lucky and punched some dude to death the moment I landed. Ran over to the nearest cluster of buildings. Thought I was alone. Heard a door open in the building I was rounding the corner on. And then this unfolded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi29Dk1LMSw

You killed the gently caress out of that window frame.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Bardeh posted:

It is first on the priority list, it's just a much more difficult fix because apparently the issues are caused by something in the core UE4 code.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have continuously been working on a solution to the server issues for a while now. I think it's just a little PR move that they announced that they are focusing on the netcode for the next monthly update even though they have been working on it all along.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Safetyland posted:

My main takeaway from that video is that my game runs like poo poo because it takes two hours to open the inventory and take meds, and three hours to go from 3rd person to scope. :(

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have continuously been working on a solution to the server issues for a while now. I think it's just a little PR move that they announced that they are focusing on the netcode for the next monthly update even though they have been working on it all along.

Yeah, they for sure fiddled with something in this latest patch because it has seemed to make things much worse overall. The weird thing is that some games are fine, some are complete shitshows. Also, on the whole the Asian servers are running really well for me now, but NA is horrible a lot of the time. The player count hasn't gone up appreciably since the patch, and they use AWS anyway which scales based on demand, so I wonder what causes it to be so variable from game to game?

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 29, 2017

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, they for sure fiddled with something in this latest patch because it has seemed to make things much worse overall. The weird thing is that some games are fine, some are complete shitshows. Also, on the whole the Asian servers are running really well for me now, but NA is horrible a lot of the time. The player count hasn't gone up appreciably since the patch, and they use AWS anyway which scales based on demand, so I wonder what causes it to be so variable from game to game?

This patch also introduced some weird pop-up for me that throws me to the desktop in the first match I play after starting the game. I'm suspecting it's got something to do with BattleEye. Dunno if I'm the only one with this particular issue, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

cyanidewolf posted:

This patch also introduced some weird pop-up for me that throws me to the desktop in the first match I play after starting the game. I'm suspecting it's got something to do with BattleEye. Dunno if I'm the only one with this particular issue, though.

BattlEye will open up a separate dialog box with whatever it's blocking noted, but that's before the game actually loads that it'll come up so that shouldn't be the problem. There should also still be a dialog box unless you manually exit out of it.

• Locked thread