Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

From the promo stuff on it I never would've known. Never trust commercials.

I talked about this on twitter, but the thing that I most liked about it is it's almost entirely free of The Prestige TV Monologue. It understands that it's so much richer to reveal character through dialogue and action (again, as befitting a Lansdale story)

It's also super economical; where most shows now are 13 episodes that should be 10 or 10 that should be 8, this one is 6 episodes without an ounce of fat on them.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
The Girl with All the Gifts is available on Prime now if you're looking for an above average zombie movie.

It's basically "The Last of Us - UK".

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The Girl with All the Gifts is available on Prime now if you're looking for an above average zombie movie.

It's basically "The Last of Us - UK".

Great! I really wanted to see this in theaters but the release was super-limited even though the critical reviews were really good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hate to say it, because I was really looking forward to it but The Girl With All the Gifts is incredibly mediocre. I had a hard time actually finishing it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked it all the way through though the first act is definitely the best part.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah, Hap and Leonard is amazing. And if you have AMC, you may be able to still stream the second season on there (I guess Sundance is an affiliate?).

Christine is on Netflix now, about troubled 70s Sarasota anchorwoman Christine Chubbick, not the evil haunted car. It was good, but really pretty sad.

Comedy option from our friends at the Asylum(if you occasionally like to put on some goofy trash before bed) Flight World War 2. A plane hits a storm and goes back in time to 1940. The actor playing the copilot looks like Latino Jimmy Fallon, and there is an incrediblely ridiculous standoff scene where some passengers try to mutiny, and an off duty soldier ends the argument by screaming 'I'm not going to let that happen all because you tried to kill Hitler!'

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

The_Rob posted:

Creed was loving fantastic. The script is a good solid script, but the movie shines in directing and editing. Not to mention the training montage with the dirtbikers was just beautiful and perfect. I loved the running theme of respecting the past but making the future the way you want it to be. I also love that in a lot of shots you always see Apollo in the background in some way because he can't not be shadowed by his past. I really loved that movie a lot.

That moment during the final fight when the Rocky theme starts is hype as gently caress. What a good movie moment.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Does HoC's come out at Midnight Eastern or Pacific time?

Also, why didn't they release it over the weekend? More people would watch it over a Holiday weekend probably, should have had it out on Friday IMHO.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Bloodline season three was very good until the last two episodes when it got very bad.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 29, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tainen posted:

Bloodlines season three was very good until the last two episodes when it got very bad.

What happens? Now I'm curious.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

precision posted:

What happens? Now I'm curious.

Bloodline final season spoilers

The first half of the season is spent cleaning up the finale of season 2. With the help of the drug dealer boss guy they frame Diaz's murder on Eric (Danny's friend). About halfway through the show jumps 6 months into the future to the trial. That stuff is still very interesting. In between episode 8 and 9 John has a diving accident and episode 9 ends up with him waking up in the hospital with no memory. Then things are weird like Danny is still alive, he gets into a car accident and the mom dies then he wakes up in the same hospital again but things are a little different. Then he takes pills to kill himself and again wakes up in the same hospital living out seemingly the same day but with things slightly different. Then he is visiting scenes from the first seasons again but observing them third person. At one point he has a conversation with himself (there were two of him on screen). And that was the entire penultimate episode. I understand they were trying to show his mental deterioration from all the stress and cascading lies but I feel the rest of a series did a fine job showing that.

In the finale Kevin flees to Cuba because he got in deep with the drug dealers and one of them was a DEA agent and he was about to get arrested. Kevin's wife forgets to turn off the GPS on her phone so they end up getting arrested anyway. John spends half the episode talking with an imaginary Danny while revisiting the past. He decides that he needs to confess to everything and tells his boss that he killed Danny and covered up Diaz's murder by framing Eric. His boss says that stress is causing him to be paranoid and he doesn't need to take responsibility for his families gently caress ups and thats literally it. His boss leaves, John goes home to find Nolan (Dannys Kid), who has been looking for him the entire episode. John has another conversation with 2 ghost dannys, one old one young. The old one tells him to confess to Nolan and the young one to keep it a secret. John walks out to Nolan, just kind of stares at him for a minute then the series ends.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 29, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Haha holy poo poo what the hell? That sounds like lumberjack Dexter levels of dumb.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
I startet watching Taboo.

The show is great It plays at 1818 in London. The production has verry high standards. The actors have yellow teeth, dirty hands, broken nails its awsome.
Production company is scott free the company from ridley scott...

If you like to see more about this time 18xx and the theme arround east india trading company, birth of the usa and sick ugly british roayls you will love this show...
Main actor is tom hardy and the rest of the cast is mostly knowing from other shows sometimes I was thinking oh hello you again same role to play different show.... But It works for me.

Atm I'm at episode 5 and I want more ggg

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

veni veni veni posted:

I hate to say it, because I was really looking forward to it but The Girl With All the Gifts is incredibly mediocre. I had a hard time actually finishing it.

My wife and I just finished it, and I completely agree. There's like 20% interesting plot, and 80% bog standard zombie movie fare.

From the premise and they way it was discussed, I was expecting some kind of intriguing ethics/research/militarism storyline that happened to be set in a zombie apocalypse, almost like the original Day of the Dead. Instead it was just...

"oh of course the guards are incompetent and the base falls apart"

"oh of course they have to walk quietly through the zombie mob"

"oh of course everyone wanders off by themselves"

"Welp, everyone is dead except hey there's a twist and the feral kid tribe from Beyond Thunderdome inherites the Earth."

etc etc.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

LogisticEarth posted:

My wife and I just finished it, and I completely agree. There's like 20% interesting plot, and 80% bog standard zombie movie fare.

From the premise and they way it was discussed, I was expecting some kind of intriguing ethics/research/militarism storyline that happened to be set in a zombie apocalypse, almost like the original Day of the Dead. Instead it was just...

"oh of course the guards are incompetent and the base falls apart"

"oh of course they have to walk quietly through the zombie mob"

"oh of course everyone wanders off by themselves"

"Welp, everyone is dead except hey there's a twist and the feral kid tribe from Beyond Thunderdome inherites the Earth."

etc etc.

You just perfectly described my experience reading the book.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

XenJ posted:

I startet watching Taboo.

The show is great It plays at 1818 in London. The production has verry high standards. The actors have yellow teeth, dirty hands, broken nails its awsome.
Production company is scott free the company from ridley scott...

If you like to see more about this time 18xx and the theme arround east india trading company, birth of the usa and sick ugly british roayls you will love this show...
Main actor is tom hardy and the rest of the cast is mostly knowing from other shows sometimes I was thinking oh hello you again same role to play different show.... But It works for me.

Atm I'm at episode 5 and I want more ggg

I enjoyed it for the production values and performances as well, but kinda felt it went off the rails in the last 2-3 episodes - the show wanted too much to have it both ways with Delaney being an unstable, literally haunted, and dangerous savage while also being 10 steps ahead of the most powerful and wealthy entities on the planet. I'll definitely tune in for season 2 though.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Yes second season could be interresting.
For me is the like factor not in the first line the story or is it possible. The little thing like yellow teeth, dirty fingernails and so on make this show so nice to watch for me.
If you see other shows playing in the past mostly they are all well dressed, have nice washed hair and the actors are not willing to make them selfe ugly.
I don't see often shows like taboo that take care on the small things.

But I was watching the whole weekend from season 3-5 all homeland episodes ggg so was Taboo a realy good break in a diffrent world. 🤗

XenJ fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 30, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I enjoyed it for the production values and performances as well, but kinda felt it went off the rails in the last 2-3 episodes - the show wanted too much to have it both ways with Delaney being an unstable, literally haunted, and dangerous savage while also being 10 steps ahead of the most powerful and wealthy entities on the planet. I'll definitely tune in for season 2 though.
One cool thing about Taboo that I learned from its thread, is that if you look really really closely, there are ghosts hidden in some of the scenes. Like, for real, blink and you'll miss it, ghosts that have to do with the protagonist's past.

I was also way more relieved than I would've expected to feel, when I found out what happened to Winter. That affected me more than I thought it had.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Tainen posted:

Bloodline final season spoilers

I finished the series on Saturday, and since that show doesn't have a thread of its own, I guess I'll just say this here. But I was really disappointed with how much I felt like the show flopped after such a great first season.

But other than the aggravating dream episode and the ambiguous final shot, these are the biggest things I was left wondering...

- What was the point of Ozzy in S3? I really didn't get it, other than guilt shaming Sally, and then he randomly shoots himself.

- Soooo, that sheriff election? They just totally dropped that part of the plot without any exposition whatsoever. The doctor who visited the inn to treat the sunburn was one of the only references in 10 episodes. Hell, John and Nigiri (sp?) are really getting along fine by the end.

- The woman who bailed Danny and Ozzy out of jail in the past, or whatever, why was she around? Was she in S2 and I just forgot? Unless her sole reason to exist was to drive Nolan to the Inn for the final scene, then... yeah.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Lovesong has an awful name but is an enjoyably bittersweet little indie romance. The acting from the two lead actresses is top notch - I'd like to see Jena Malone in more stuff. Went up on Netflix a couple of weeks ago and I watched on a whim, glad I did.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

coyo7e posted:

God, I hated free jazz before I was tripping balls and watching a pulsing yellow highway line rush by while a plastic-faced midget laughed in front of a red curtain :psypop:
I realize this comment from is forty eleventeen pages ago but holy gently caress this is the greatest opening line for a Bogart noir movie that was never made.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PTizzle posted:

Lovesong has an awful name but is an enjoyably bittersweet little indie romance. The acting from the two lead actresses is top notch - I'd like to see Jena Malone in more stuff. Went up on Netflix a couple of weeks ago and I watched on a whim, glad I did.

It's named after the Cure song, not that that makes it any better. But yeah, I liked it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

precision posted:

Haha holy poo poo what the hell? That sounds like lumberjack Dexter levels of dumb.

Oh it's horrendous throughout most of the season. There are plotlines that last several episodes and go nowhere, basically everyone in the show is incompetent at their job except for the undercover DEA agent, the pacing is really slow and not in an interesting slow-burn either, it's just plain slow. There is a substandard trial procedural that extends across at least 3 episodes, and the lawyer actress would get laughed out of a dinner theater. The second-to-last episode is a dream sequence. There are giant, obvious plot holes, here's a good one: The fuckup younger brother Kevin is intimidated by a Cuban cocaine cowboy to get him back to Cuba or he'll kill the guy's wife and kid. Kevin sets him up to be caught by the DEA. Kevin then flees to Cuba. The country whose criminal syndicate wants his head. Somehow this problem is ignored because it wouldn't fit an easy narrative. Kevin just ends up chilling out there for a day until his dumbass wife gets them caught because she's never heard of phone tracking. There are lots of flashbacks. Ben Mendelsohn's precious time was wasted on this show when he could've been working on a worthy project. The show ends on a cliffhanger. You find out in the final episode that the mother has been bugfuck crazy since John was born and somehow kept a mask of sanity on until she found out her property was worthless. It wasn't her older daughter's death that broke her. It wasn't her older son getting beaten to poo poo by her husband that broker her. It wasn't her older son getting murdered by her middle son that broke her. It wasn't her youngest son beating his little sister's ex-fiance to death with a dolphin statuette that broke her. It wasn't her younger daughter abandoning her that broke her. It wasn't her youngest son blowing up his life by entering the drug trade that broke her. No, it was Islamorada's rising waterline that broke her mask of sanity.

Anyway that's what I remember off the top of my head. It's an awful final season.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Also Meg just disappeared after the first episode and they spent half to season going "where is meg. I wonder where meg went". Then John finds her somehow, visits her for 10 minutes in like episode 5 and she is never spoken of again.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Filthy Hans posted:

Oh it's horrendous throughout most of the season. There are plotlines that last several episodes and go nowhere, basically everyone in the show is incompetent at their job except for the undercover DEA agent, the pacing is really slow and not in an interesting slow-burn either, it's just plain slow. There is a substandard trial procedural that extends across at least 3 episodes, and the lawyer actress would get laughed out of a dinner theater. The second-to-last episode is a dream sequence. There are giant, obvious plot holes, here's a good one: The fuckup younger brother Kevin is intimidated by a Cuban cocaine cowboy to get him back to Cuba or he'll kill the guy's wife and kid. Kevin sets him up to be caught by the DEA. Kevin then flees to Cuba. The country whose criminal syndicate wants his head. Somehow this problem is ignored because it wouldn't fit an easy narrative. Kevin just ends up chilling out there for a day until his dumbass wife gets them caught because she's never heard of phone tracking. There are lots of flashbacks. Ben Mendelsohn's precious time was wasted on this show when he could've been working on a worthy project. The show ends on a cliffhanger. You find out in the final episode that the mother has been bugfuck crazy since John was born and somehow kept a mask of sanity on until she found out her property was worthless. It wasn't her older daughter's death that broke her. It wasn't her older son getting beaten to poo poo by her husband that broker her. It wasn't her older son getting murdered by her middle son that broke her. It wasn't her youngest son beating his little sister's ex-fiance to death with a dolphin statuette that broke her. It wasn't her younger daughter abandoning her that broke her. It wasn't her youngest son blowing up his life by entering the drug trade that broke her. No, it was Islamorada's rising waterline that broke her mask of sanity.

Anyway that's what I remember off the top of my head. It's an awful final season.

One minor thing, Kevin tried to escape to the Bahamas. The only reason I recognize that is because of the cops' uniforms that accompanied the DEA when they came into arrest him. I actually though that was even more idiotic than running off to Cuba where the drug syndicate wanted to murder him, given the whole extradition aspect, and he only ventured 50 - 90 miles from the U.S. Coast. The more I think on it, gently caress Bloodline. I still can't figure out how that show devolved to such a heap of poo poo.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Quick question on sharing Prime Video. I have an account, and my dad wants to watch Bosch because he reads all the books. We don't live together. Is it legal/ allowable for him to set up a device with Amazon Video and then I just type in the code on my end? They don't buy anything from Amazon and if they did I would get it shipped to my house anyways. Thanks! Also, can 2 people watch at once, otherwise this isn't a really good idea.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Michael Corleone posted:

Quick question on sharing Prime Video. I have an account, and my dad wants to watch Bosch because he reads all the books. We don't live together. Is it legal/ allowable for him to set up a device with Amazon Video and then I just type in the code on my end? They don't buy anything from Amazon and if they did I would get it shipped to my house anyways. Thanks! Also, can 2 people watch at once, otherwise this isn't a really good idea.

You can't stream the same video to two devices at the same time, but you can stream to two devices simultaneously.

As for different locations, I know it used to be possible but I've heard reports of Amazon doing IP crackdowns because of account sharing between friends instead of family members, etc. My advice would be to just pop onto Amazon's live chat and ask them -- the feature is called Amazon Households, for the record.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Michael Corleone posted:

Don't copy that floppy dude.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
The last day I was watching Mr. Robot.
The first sesaon was great intrresting plot and every episode a secret comes out totaly unexpectet.
A plus for me to the "good technic" talk.
Yea they use linux.... and don' try to do it with other OS's.,
Atm I'm at season 2 episode 6 It's a complete different episode to all others on air but that they grabbed Gordon Shumway for a part in this episode is awsome.

If you like a modern hacker plot in a relative real szenario. This is your show.
Every episode you will surpised from the story. The main actor in combination with christian slater is a win win thing verry lovely to watch.

Sad that I have to watch this evening RAW (haha) and can't finished the second season....

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are you a Chinese reviewer bot?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Thanks, I am just going to tell him what I already told him, if he wants to watch Bosch he can watch it all during the free 1 month trial if he is dedicated.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Are you a Chinese reviewer bot?

I? No, only a bit time atm. Why?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

XenJ posted:

I? No, only a bit time atm. Why?

You post some of my favorite reviews. You're enthusiastic about everything.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Thank you ☺ I was realy lucky with the last shows I chose to watch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Christine is on Netflix now, it's a pretty good Based On a True Story film with a decent cast. It's about a reporter in the dawn of the television news age.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Has someone hands on "war machine" with brat pit on netflix?

Thx precision, marked for watching in the near future 😋

XenJ fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 31, 2017

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I have been binging The Leftovers and am halfway through Season 3. What a fascinating show. I went in expecting an interesting show about the rapture and it's so much more thought provoking. I love the ambiguity and how they leave it up to audience to interpret the events of the show. I'm going to be real sad when season 3 ends because I think there could be so many fascinating stories with these characters.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

XenJ posted:

Has someone hands on "war machine" with brat pit on netflix?

It's bad. Completely toothless, which guts it as a satire. And it's a real bore overall.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Hot take: the animation in F is for Family is awful, and one season was perfectly adequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's bad. Completely toothless, which guts it as a satire. And it's a real bore overall.

That's a shame, I was kinda looking forward to it.