Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Considering in HH books Mortorian can't do anything right I wonder if he'll have a rule where the first round of his attacks in game will be auto failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Full vampire Blood Angels might get me to come back to 40k. But I'd rather they just rerelease Gorkamorka.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Pawl why did you change your av back. I feel like a pig making GBS threads on its balls is really "you."

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
The bigmarines do look proportionally better, but they are all just striding forward and frowning down like they are cut from a hero pose movie poster.
None of them look like they are fighting an actual battle, or doing anything with purpose.

Business as usual.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

dmnz posted:

The bigmarines do look proportionally better, but they are all just striding forward and frowning down like they are cut from a hero pose movie poster.
None of them look like they are fighting an actual battle, or doing anything with purpose.

Business as usual.

These are all the single pose starter kit figures.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Do we know much about the starter plastics? They're single pose, but are they snap fit? Colored plastic? What's the mold line situation?

I'm just comparing it to the Warpath starter which has traditional multi pose models that are also sold individually and trying to figure out what GW's justification is.

Surely they're not keeping costs down with those kits. And if they're not snap fit they're not really beginner either.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TTerrible posted:

Nah its understandable. There are only so many space marine units you canget excited about. The next book, Angelus is going to start on the early days of the dark mechanicum so that might have some crazy stuff in it. Still humans being dicks tho.

Yeah Night Lords were my first 40k love so Angelus seems like it should be right up my alley so maybe that'll rekindle my interest.

FW choosing to stick with 7th edition for 30k pretty much guarantees I won't be playing it for the foreseeable future, though. I get that 30k solves some of 7th's problems with balance, but it does so in the most boring way possible

Atlas Hugged posted:

Do we know much about the starter plastics? They're single pose, but are they snap fit? Colored plastic? What's the mold line situation?

I'm just comparing it to the Warpath starter which has traditional multi pose models that are also sold individually and trying to figure out what GW's justification is.

Surely they're not keeping costs down with those kits. And if they're not snap fit they're not really beginner either.

(Probably) Snap fit, gray plastic. There are probably mold lines somewhere. There's a 1000% chance GW will release multi-pose versions of the primaris dudes within the next 2 months, so the monopose dudes will probably end up being "just a starter kit" deal, except for the standard bearer and captain.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 29, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/burgerdrome/status/869006345126551552

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I haven't really been paying attention, how is the new stuff looking?

Also did they make bigmarines have seperate rules because if so lol

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

nopantsjack posted:

I haven't really been paying attention, how is the new stuff looking?

Also did they make bigmarines have seperate rules because if so lol

They're an entirely new breed of marine with their own founding, chapters, vehicles, everything. For now old marines can take them mixed in but they can also be fielded as a standalone army.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
A few pages of the new Codex CSM were leaked, and even from those few pages, Obliterators firing once can result in up to 7 rolls of the dice.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Clawtopsy posted:

A few pages of the new Codex CSM were leaked, and even from those few pages, Obliterators firing once can result in up to 7 rolls of the dice.

This can't be right, 8th edition is more streamlined. The whole game was designed around being faster. :)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Hell, the seven is simply a reroll to hit. If Obliterators fire at pretty much anything with multiple wounds, it's still going to be six rolls on average.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The activity of rolling dice is fun, therefore more dice is more fun.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Are we talking six separate and sequential rolls of one dice, or one roll of six dice? Because the latter is fine, the former is nuts.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

You roll the Strength of your weapon, the AP of your weapon, the damage of your weapon, to hit, to wound, and saves.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Looks like GW are now using mixed plastic sprues too.

How long till someone mentions GUNDAM DID IT FIRST :qq:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Clawtopsy posted:

You roll the Strength of your weapon, the AP of your weapon, the damage of your weapon, to hit, to wound, and saves.

Can the damage roll make it cause multiple hits?

TTerrible posted:

Looks like GW are now using mixed plastic sprues too.

How long till someone mentions GUNDAM DID IT FIRST :qq:

This is legitimately a technical step above and beyond their competition.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

My understanding of Damage is just how many wounds you take on a failed save.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's pretty cool. When I saw the objectives on warhammer community I assumed the tank would be done the same way as the forge world zone mortalis one, just a seperate clear sprue. Wonder why they bothered to upgrade to this given the low volume of non-grey plastic they put out in kits.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Clawtopsy posted:

My understanding of Damage is just how many wounds you take on a failed save.

Is this series of rolls for the unit or every model individually.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

You roll for the unit, I think. We're still in the rumour mill phase after all.

You also have to reroll if the unit performs an Overwatch after getting charged with the obliterator weapons.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
So why are they even making these Index books if Codexes are already getting made? Shouldn't the Indexes then be free? You buy an Index, and how long do you have before you have to buy the thing that replaces it?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the answer is

gw still bad

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I'm guessing Space Marine players won't be using indexes for too long, others though...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

AgentF posted:

So why are they even making these Index books if Codexes are already getting made? Shouldn't the Indexes then be free? You buy an Index, and how long do you have before you have to buy the thing that replaces it?

So when Warhammer 40k 3rd edition and Warhammer Fantasy 6th edition were released, GW realized that most people had armies that they'd want to continue using with the new rules right away, but these were substantial edition changes and old lists would be strictly incompatible. Knowing that they'd only be releasing about 6 army books and codexes or less each year (assuming alternating months), plus expansion armies, GW knew that for some players it could be years before their army got a new book, and some armies (even ones that weren't squatted) had to wait for following editions for a proper book or simply never got one.

But as a sign of good faith, GW put all the armies that they planned to support in the 3rd edition 40k rulebook so everyone could start playing immediately and as a free supplement in the White Dwarf when 6th edition came out, GW released "Ravening Hordes" which had a list for every fantasy army in it. These were rough lists that were intended as a placeholder before full codexes or army books could be released and weren't intended for long term use (though for Chaos Dwarves and Dogs of War they ended up being the only lists they ever got outside of Forge World).

Since 8th Edition 40k is the same kind of major change in the rules, there needs to be rules available on day 1 for every army before their codex has been released, which again could take months, years, or may never happen. But this time GW is charging money for these placeholder lists that won't be balanced at all because GW is bad.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Re: obliterators, GW lobotomizing a popular unit to encourage people to buy a replacement is pretty much the only thing that's been guaranteed for each new edition/codex.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Clawtopsy posted:

The first three can be pretty easily combined by just rolling 3 dice of different colours.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Corrode posted:

The first three can be pretty easily combined by just rolling 3 dice of different colours.

You could preroll every dice in the shot and it wouldn't be any faster. The time consuming part isn't the rolling of dice (as was said above, 7 shots each is less of a hassle than 7 sequential rolls). It's that each of those results has to be individually consulted to see what it actually means.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Corrode posted:

You certainly can!

I envy you if you've never had an opponent go "Wait, WHICH colours were the power sword?" after your dice were hot, or forget your explanation of which was which first.

Hell, roll the hit dice at the same time, for maximum confusion!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Clawtopsy posted:

You certainly can!

I envy you if you've never had an opponent go "Wait, WHICH colours were the power sword?" after your dice were hot, or forget your explanation of which was which first.

Yeah there's no good way to make having 3 random factors be determined every time a unit shoots a good thing. I'm OK with not having them morph other weapons, but they should have stuck to at most, two random factors (damage and strength or damage and shots)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I mean if you actually wanted to save time you'd have the first roll determine a standard weapon and you'd then just use the weapon profile to determine the strength, ap, and damage.

Or better yet you'd just choose what they were shooting each turn.

But it's so fun and wacky when you roll Strength 1 AP1 for the whole squad!

(I guess it's not clear if the the roll translates to a table or if the roll is the actual strength and AP etc).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Atlas Hugged posted:

I mean if you actually wanted to save time you'd have the first roll determine a standard weapon and you'd then just use the weapon profile to determine the strength, ap, and damage.

Or better yet you'd just choose what they were shooting each turn.

But it's so fun and wacky when you roll Strength 1 AP1 for the whole squad!

(I guess it's not clear if the the roll translates to a table or if the roll is the actual strength and AP etc).

You can't roll Strength 1--it's 6+D3 for the strength, which, given the changes to the wounding table in this edition, doesn't actually matter all that much, which makes it even more laughably pointless to roll.

e: Really, they could have accomplished a good compromise between fluffy and balanced with just a dual-profile approach. Pick one--Gun A has more low-S, low-AP shots, gun 2 has fewer high-S, high-AP shots. That's basically what the choice boiled down to in prior editions anyway

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

You can't roll Strength 1--it's 6+D3 for the strength, which, given the changes to the wounding table in this edition, doesn't actually matter all that much, which makes it even more laughably pointless to roll.

Fair enough, I wasn't sure how it actually worked and was assuming worst case so I stand corrected.

It would still be faster to just roll a D3 or something and have that map to 1 of 3 possible profiles for the unit. They could be entirely unique profiles too if you didn't want them to just morph into existing weapons or whatever.

Edit:

TheChirurgeon posted:

e: Really, they could have accomplished a good compromise between fluffy and balanced with just a dual-profile approach. Pick one--Gun A has more low-S, low-AP shots, gun 2 has fewer high-S, high-AP shots. That's basically what the choice boiled down to in prior editions anyway

This would be fine too.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Re Obliterators above, that would also give you actually predictable probabilities (or choices) instead of a three dimensional matrix of randomness.

At least they don't have to roll artillery dice for random range...

Edit: I guess you could also just roll once for their stats at the start of the battle like for psychic powers...

Moola posted:

the answer is

gw still bad

TTerrible posted:

They're an entirely new breed of marine with their own founding, chapters, vehicles, everything. For now old marines can take them mixed in but they can also be fielded as a standalone army.

There are separate bigmarine chapters now?

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 29, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Clawtopsy posted:

Me being interested in "free 8th edition 40k rules": :yikes:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Corrode posted:

:agreed: The FFG star wars RPG dice system is cool and good

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Was just out at my local college campus picking up some textbooks for my wife. I went to look at their pricin for bluetooth headphones. They were right beside the Age of Sigmar kits, and the 7th Ed 40K rulebook. And then a slightly smaller board game section was sandwiched between GW stuff and Magic Cards.

I was kind of shocked that the school was selling GW.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Must be one of those fancy private schools for rich kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin'

Safety Factor posted:

How to calculate the points cost of a Thunderfire Cannon in 8th edition, by Games Workshop, age 42:
Thunderfire Cannon - 28 points base
Thunderfire Cannon (weapon) - 30 points

Techmarine Gunner - 36 points base
A servo-harness isn't a separate wargear item, but it's known to be two servo arms, a flamer, and a plasma cutter
Servo arm - 12 points
Servo arm - 12 points
Flamer - 9 points
Plasma cutter - 7 points

(28+30) + (36+12+12+9+7) = 134

:laffo:

• Locked thread