Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XOFvAIeVos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If there's one good thing that dipshit Elon Musk might accomplish, it's going to be creating a wedge that other manufacturers can use to kill the dealership model.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Wheeee posted:

If there's one good thing that dipshit Elon Musk might accomplish, it's going to be creating a wedge that other manufacturers can use to kill the dealership model.
Also, you know, drastically reducing the cost for space access, proving cheap rapidly re-usable rockets can be a thing, proving performance electric cars can be a thing, drastically reducing the cost and increasing the availability of electrics, maybe solving city congestion completely, maybe solving the problem of cheap medium-distance travel, maybe killing cities as a population center completely (why live in the city if you can take a mass transit from the suburb and arrive in 5 minutes?), maybe solving the brain-computer interface problem....

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ilkhan posted:

Also, you know, drastically reducing the cost for space access, proving cheap rapidly re-usable rockets can be a thing, proving performance electric cars can be a thing, drastically reducing the cost and increasing the availability of electrics, maybe solving city congestion completely, maybe solving the problem of cheap medium-distance travel, maybe killing cities as a population center completely (why live in the city if you can take a mass transit from the suburb and arrive in 5 minutes?), maybe solving the brain-computer interface problem....

Spit it out, his head is caving in

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

dissss posted:

Better Call Saul captured it just perfectly

https://youtu.be/VC6g3GRk_5s

What disturbs me most is how they tried to dub the HMMV/H1 diesel engine sound over the H2's gas V8. Makes it sound even more hosed up than usual.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

itt talk about elon musk as if he raped your mum

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Domestic Amuse posted:

What disturbs me most is how they tried to dub the HMMV/H1 diesel engine sound over the H2's gas V8. Makes it sound even more hosed up than usual.

The audio in film and movies is frequently edited to communicate directorial intent (Pryce is a moron) instead of striving for perfect accuracy.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The audio in film and movies is frequently edited to communicate directorial intent (Pryce is a moron) instead of striving for perfect accuracy.

See also: the hilux with visible D4-D badges in The Expendables 3 driven by Jean Claud Van Damme that has a monster truck engine dubbed over it

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
*See every car peel out ever.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

They're edited to appeal to what the foley artist thinks the audience expects to hear. A punch has a meaty sound, every time a gun is pointed there's some kind of noise, etc. It was probably entirely 'big rumble v8 = cool sexy muscle car' but 'truck???? = boring diesel' and not meant to communicate anything about the character.

How would his truck sounding like a diesel say he's a moron?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

davebo posted:

New 8 series image from BMW:

Edit: the seatbelts are built into the seats. That's what I liked about the old one.

What is going to be the production solution to the grille being the forward-most projections?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A big reinforcement bar behind the grille and a pop-up bonnet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'd have thought the convex points on the grill bars would be a no-go. The spy pics show a flat grill surface and a more jutting fascia below.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
European pedestrian !aws are the worst

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

New Civic Si embargo has been lifted. All accounts have the car being a return to form for the line. The only drawbacks seem to be the listed power figures, and there's no hatch.

The former might be easily solved as Honda underrates the normal 1.5, and ECU tunes with the normal 1.5 already make more power than the Si. The latter is for the best as the hatch is one of the ugliest cars on sale today.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Do you think they'll suffer from the perception that they're completely unable to make an engine that doesn't eat itself, based on every race they've contested in the past few years?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PT6A posted:

Do you think they'll suffer from the perception that they're completely unable to make an engine that doesn't eat itself, based on every race they've contested in the past few years?

Honda has a racing program?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kind of. Although Honda won the Indy 500, a lot of motors ate poo poo along the way.

I hear they aren't doing so well in F1 either.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What are the closest competitors for the Si now? The 5-door GTI is like $5-6k more expensive (in Canada). The Focus ST is about the same price but is more powerful and only available as a hatch. What else plays in the Si space?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Godzilla07 posted:

The latter is for the best as the hatch is one of the ugliest cars on sale today.

I think they look good in black.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

European pedestrian !aws are the worst

As a frequent pedestrian and dog-walker, I disagree.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Kind of. Although Honda won the Indy 500, a lot of motors ate poo poo along the way.

I hear they aren't doing so well in F1 either.

That is one way to put it, the other way is their engine is an utter turd that is the least powerful, most unreliable and exists only to troll Alonso into trying other sports.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CharlesM posted:

As a frequent pedestrian and dog-walker, I disagree.

Why how many times have you been hit by a car?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

prom candy posted:

What are the closest competitors for the Si now? The 5-door GTI is like $5-6k more expensive (in Canada). The Focus ST is about the same price but is more powerful and only available as a hatch. What else plays in the Si space?

WRX?

Dunno the whole sport compact segment died with the financial crisis.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...p-differential/

Not sure how I feel about that red, but that front diff better be available aftermarket to put into my normal one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

WRX?

Dunno the whole sport compact segment died with the financial crisis.

this is completely untrue, there are currently more slightly overpowered sport compact cars than ever before:

actually good cars
GTi / GLi
FoST
FiST
WRX / STi
Civic Si

bad cars but still with power
Hyundai Veloster
Fiat 500 Abarth
Nissan Sentra Nismo (a stretch)

Hell you can throw in the Toyobaru and MX-5 if you want, too. the lancer is still kicking around and won't die either.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is completely untrue, there are currently more slightly overpowered sport compact cars than ever before:

actually good cars
GTi / GLi
FoST
FiST
WRX / STi
Civic Si

Hyundai Veloster
Fiat 500 Abarth

Hell you can throw in the Toyobaru and MX-5 if you want, too. the lancer is still kicking around and won't die either.

I would throw the 3.8 Genesis Coupe under good cars as well. I got quoted 26K OOTD for a 348HP RWD coupe, which is insanely cool in my book.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

actually good cars
GTi / GLi
FoST
FiST
WRX / STi
Civic Si

Hyundai Veloster
Fiat 500 Abarth

Civic Type R getting a US release this year as well. Won't be the JDM one of course, no one gets the real one apart from Japan.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

Not sure how I feel about that red, but that front diff better be available aftermarket to put into my normal one.

It is. Same Quaife ATB that's currently available.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dk2m posted:

I would throw the 3.8 Genesis Coupe under good cars as well. I got quoted 26K OOTD for a 348HP RWD coupe, which is insanely cool in my book.

yeah I guess you can also throw in the Nissan Z and poo poo if you really want to. The Gen Coupe is going to die though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Gen Coupe is going to die though.

Much like the Z...

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

BigPaddy posted:

Civic Type R getting a US release this year as well. Won't be the JDM one of course, no one gets the real one apart from Japan.

I am still trying to figure out how to actually buy one of these loving Type R's.... I have contacted so many dealers and get different answers.. I think I posted in here before about this... But at first it was coming in Spring, then Summer, now who knows....

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

...what? The 10th Gen Civic Type R that's being built in the UK is for every market, including Japan.

Subaru tweeted an image that seems to allude to a BRZ STi. I don't know if a power bump will sway the people who were decrying the car for having no power since you can get a V8 Mustang for $33K MSRP.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Why how many times have you been hit by a car?

Back in college I was hit by a Geo Metro. I ended up on the car's roof. Dented the poo poo out of his hood, though.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KillHour posted:

KidDynamite posted:

It is. Same Quaife ATB that's currently available.

I'll probably do a limited slip diff install in a few years, but I'll probably go with a Wavetrac over a Quaife.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

kimcicle posted:

...what? The 10th Gen Civic Type R that's being built in the UK is for every market, including Japan.

Every single other one has had a JDM one that usually comes with different suspension, a LSD etc... while the rest of the world got a softer one if they got one at all. If they are making all of them in Swindon then that is a first.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And the engine will randomly light on fire to more accurately simulate the experience of being a racing driver in a Honda-powered car.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Entirely possible that they tailor each Type R for their destination market, but we'll have to wait and see until cars are out there to tell for sure.

Window stickers on Type Rs heading to the docks are saying $33900 for the MSRP.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

savesthedayrocks posted:

*See every car peel out ever.

I'm the 420a Eclipse with what is apparently a 10-speed manual.

Also:
MANIFOLD DANGER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

kimcicle posted:

Entirely possible that they tailor each Type R for their destination market, but we'll have to wait and see until cars are out there to tell for sure.

Window stickers on Type Rs heading to the docks are saying $33900 for the MSRP.

civicX.com