Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

orcane posted:

There's a slightly improved version of the Dan A4 on Kickstarter again:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/33753221/dan-cases-a4-sfx-v2-an-ultra-compact-sff-case

I figure it's the only reliable way to get it as the first version ones sold through retailers have been gone almost instantly. Dan isn't going to make any more after this, apparently he has a new project he'll be pursuing next.

Hopefully he'll license out the design or something. I'm just upset that all of these cases are actually coming out after I got laid off, having been following them for years.

Yea, all of these cases are pricey, this, the Sentry, the Ncase M1. But they'll follow you through several builds and its definitely a niche market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

Hopefully he'll license out the design or something. I'm just upset that all of these cases are actually coming out after I got laid off, having been following them for years.

Yea, all of these cases are pricey, this, the Sentry, the Ncase M1. But they'll follow you through several builds and its definitely a niche market.

Can the company that rips off other people's case designs do this one do so I can buy it for less than $100?

eames
May 9, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I like the case but €230 is pants on head crazy.

I thought so too, so I checked eBay:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Dan-A4-SFX-Mini-ITX-PC-Case-Black-NEW-SEALED-/222524524846

:psyduck:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm still surprised nobody has knocked these off from a major company and ate their lunch. It'd be a "bargain" at $150.

cougar did something similar but it's not quite the same.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

It'll be months before you get your Kickstarter item, people will pay a premium for a copy that's ready to go right now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Cryorig is going to release the C7 in all copper soon. Can't wait to see test results.

http://techreport.com/news/31965/cryorig-cu-heatsinks-are-cool-in-copper

Edit: Also Zotac has a 1080Ti Mini incoming...
http://techreport.com/news/31967/zotac-readies-a-gtx-1080-ti-mini-and-a-slick-external-enclosure

Looks like they're doing a bunch in copper; they look brilliant.

e: Boy I want one of those A4s. There's nothing wrong with my M1 but boy I like that A4.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 28, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Looks like they're doing a bunch in copper; they look brilliant.

e: Boy I want one of those A4s. There's nothing wrong with my M1 but boy I like that A4.

I'd probably buy your Ncase off you.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'd probably buy your Ncase off you.

Sadly, if I did grab an A4, the M1 would become my wife's new PC. :v:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Cryorig Taku itx case on Kickstarter

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
ASRock X299-E ITX/AC Motherboard

the absolute madmen

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

$100 shipping. :staredog:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

what

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

That's a bit much...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you have a desktop it's impossible to have a monitor stand or VESA mount. It's canon.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

ASRock X299-E ITX/AC Motherboard

the absolute madmen

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Nothing like winning a freaking design award by repackaging the 1990s desktop form factor :allears:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I bet the Ola never sees the light of day again.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
ouya

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I like Cryorig and all, but there's no way that case is going to get funded.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Help, my N1 is running hot because I am a huge moron.

Running a i5 7600K, Noctua D9L, and a windforce gtx 770. CPU idling maybe in the low 50s, AIDA64 makes it touch 90, and all of this without any OC. The GPU isn't an issue. The CPU is laid out so it blows out of the rear, along with a tiny 92mm fan in the back adding some additional suction. I have an additional fan on the bottom feeding into the GPU which serves absolutely no purpose and should be removed. Trying to figure out better ways of cooling, but I'm definitely stuck in terms of space. I use the entire hard drive rack which prevents me from just going ~~AIO~~ like the lord intended.

I'm considering just going to a reference blower card to reduce internal heat, but I'm slightly skeptical after looking at some numbers online. It will definitely help, but I'm happy with the 770 at the moment and don't need to go to a 1060 or 1070. Also, I'm poor. I could just go for an even bigger heatsink :thunk: but it seems like the D9L normally works fine for most people so I'm tempted to keep it.

Here's a pic when I first put it together, a few things have changed but nothing that would affect temps.

any thoughts? :sweatdrop:

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

logikv9 posted:

Help, my N1 is running hot because I am a huge moron.

Running a i5 7600K, Noctua D9L, and a windforce gtx 770. CPU idling maybe in the low 50s, AIDA64 makes it touch 90, and all of this without any OC. The GPU isn't an issue. The CPU is laid out so it blows out of the rear, along with a tiny 92mm fan in the back adding some additional suction. I have an additional fan on the bottom feeding into the GPU which serves absolutely no purpose and should be removed. Trying to figure out better ways of cooling, but I'm definitely stuck in terms of space. I use the entire hard drive rack which prevents me from just going ~~AIO~~ like the lord intended.

I'm considering just going to a reference blower card to reduce internal heat, but I'm slightly skeptical after looking at some numbers online. It will definitely help, but I'm happy with the 770 at the moment and don't need to go to a 1060 or 1070. Also, I'm poor. I could just go for an even bigger heatsink :thunk: but it seems like the D9L normally works fine for most people so I'm tempted to keep it.

Here's a pic when I first put it together, a few things have changed but nothing that would affect temps.

Corsair H5?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Won't fit :smith:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I slapped an Accerlero III on my 1080 with a pair of 120's horfing the heat exhaust out the bottom; works well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Reminds me of the Macintosh LC III, "pizza box form factor".

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
That Cryorig kickstarter makes me want to run my own kickstarter for an adjustable stand with cute wooden legs.

In taller news, Phanteks made a pair of skyscraper ITX cases called Shift and Shift X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GRCUIHtUnM

It has the 'gpu wrapped around the bottom' idea of the A4, but with tempered glass side panels, cable management features, airflow, and room for storage. The video seems to show room for 2 2.5" drives behind the back panel, and 1 3.5" drive behind the front panel. There could be room for more in the bottom chamber, I dunno, the only info about this case right now is this one youtube video.

The smaller one is 22 liters, and costs $109. The bigger one costs $159, but at 30 liters, it's way past anything that would be considered SFF.

/edit - if anyone wants to say that 22 liters doesn't qualify as SFF because Intel's specifications say 20, I refer you to Silverstone's nuh uh, it just has to be under 23 argument

Maxwell Adams fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 30, 2017

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

logikv9 posted:

Won't fit :smith:

An H100i v2 will!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Maxwell Adams posted:

That Cryorig kickstarter makes me want to run my own kickstarter for an adjustable stand with cute wooden legs.

In taller news, Phanteks made a pair of skyscraper ITX cases called Shift and Shift X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GRCUIHtUnM

It has the 'gpu wrapped around the bottom' idea of the A4, but with tempered glass side panels, cable management features, airflow, and room for storage. The video seems to show room for 2 2.5" drives behind the back panel, and 1 3.5" drive behind the front panel. There could be room for more in the bottom chamber, I dunno, the only info about this case right now is this one youtube video.

The smaller one is 22 liters, and costs $109. The bigger one costs $159, but at 30 liters, it's way past anything that would be considered SFF.

/edit - if anyone wants to say that 22 liters doesn't qualify as SFF because Intel's specifications say 20, I refer you to Silverstone's nuh uh, it just has to be under 23 argument

This seems pretty dope.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

logikv9 posted:

This sounded like a stupid ide in my head but I'm going to suggest it anyway - what about flipping the rear fan and cpu fan?

That way the cpu would get priority for cool outside air, might be worth a shot if it's each to change.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That Phanteks case is awesome. Their cases are so slick looking and the footprint being so small is what really matters for a lot of users.

Goddamn that Hardware Canucks channel makes some good looking videos. Their tour footage looks better than most people's studio work.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I hate when manufacturers have no non-glass panel option. I want more ventilation, not a window into something no one will be looking at. :(

I'm still musing on the A4, but I don't want to plunk down the money when I may need space for an AIO come Vega. :ohdear:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Captain Hair posted:

This sounded like a stupid ide in my head but I'm going to suggest it anyway - what about flipping the rear fan and cpu fan?

That way the cpu would get priority for cool outside air, might be worth a shot if it's each to change.

I tried both positions :sweatdrop: I had it as an intake for awhile with heating problems and I reversed it yesterday... I thought it would fix it but it didn't, so I asked for help

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

well why not posted:

Goddamn that Hardware Canucks channel makes some good looking videos. Their tour footage looks better than most people's studio work.

Yep. Here's another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Z9iMG2W7I&t=129s

This is the Inwin Gaming Cube A1. Pretty interesting, if only to observe how badly RGB lighting clashes with wood paneling.

Also, a spherical robot chassis that can spin around for no reason.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

This is the Inwin Gaming Cube A1. Pretty interesting, if only to observe how badly RGB lighting clashes with wood paneling.

I love it, it's so Star Trek / Mid-Century Modern.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

Would look much better without the window and with a wooden base matching the top instead.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The wood and glass looks nice and as mentioned, sort of a mid century vibe.

The RGB at the bottom seems odd though. I imagine if you want a simple looking case (i.e. wood) you aren't the one for sick LEDz

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Got my Ncase in the mail yesterday and finally transplanted my build from box hell (build album). Loving this little thing but jesus christ was it a nightmare to assemble. I take it the "if I ever have to disassemble this I'll just kill myself" feeling isn't terribly uncommon?

On the bright side I can run AIDA64+Furmark with a 7700k@4.9 and a 1070@2.1 without either going over like 72 after half an hour.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Did you test temps with and without the fans under the GPU?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I haven't done any A/B testing, I just put it all in and was happy with the results. I can't imagine that the fans are hurting anything since its running comfortably in the 60s under normal gaming loads. The fans never spin up to an audible level (Corsair ML120s, pretty drat quiet in the lower half of their rpm range).

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Silverstone is at Computex, and they brought the weird stuff.

https://smallformfactor.net/news/silverstone-cases-computex-2017-pio-micro-stx

They've got a prototype FTZ03 that uses the PIO motherboard form factor, and a prototype RVZ04 that uses MicroSTX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0U55eA6VqM&t=753s

I also found this video that looks around the entire Silverstone booth. The guy takes a good look at these prototype cases, but unless you speak Thai, the commentary won't do much for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I've become so indoctrinated into the cult of itx that seeing hordes of new, massive, glowing towers makes me reflexively sneer. :ohdear: