Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
In which the President of France has the balls to do something our U.S. President never will:

quote:

French President Emmanuel Macron has made an extraordinary attack on two Russian media outlets, saying they acted as “propaganda” organs during France’s election campaign.

Speaking at a news conference with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday, Macron accused the two outlets, Russia Today and Sputnik, of spreading fake news.

https://apnews.com/c01121dbfc6740969cd0fefc629cc46d?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

You fantasize about murdering people on the other side of the aisle. Let's not pretend you are anything but a crazy person.
Well it's a good thing you stopped by to set the record straight! I figured we'd have to wait until the thread moved a bit more so you could dig through twenty pages of posts to find one of mine. Nice work.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Overwined posted:

While you raise a good point, I think it was the manner in which it was dissolved that has people (over)reacting.

Yeah, I guess, but the whole town was apparently reduced down to .13 square miles of land and was 10 families. It is absolute nonsense for a town that small to have an entire local town government. Like I get it's unfortunate it had to be about horse cruelty but pretty much the first time anything did anything that made anyone even notice that a town government was even still a thing someone was going to say "why do we even have this? just let the county manage us, the county seat is literally the next town over"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DaveWoo posted:

In which the President of France has the balls to do something our U.S. President never will:

https://apnews.com/c01121dbfc6740969cd0fefc629cc46d?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

While it is the term du jour, and Macron himself used the correct term, I really hate that we still are using "fake news". It's propaganda people. Sticking with the right wing's term only softens the importance of the subject and allows them to blow it off as a mere difference of opinion.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
That term was originally conceived in that sense. Using 'Fake News' to describe mainstream news outlets/anything Trump didn't like came later.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Agreed I try my best to avoid "Fake News" as much as possible... I don't want to credit Trump for a God drat thing and if this catches on overall after he's gone... :negative:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DaveWoo posted:

"Why yes, that happened"

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 29, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crain posted:

While it is the term du jour, and Macron himself used the correct term, I really hate that we still are using "fake news". It's propaganda people. Sticking with the right wing's term only softens the importance of the subject and allows them to blow it off as a mere difference of opinion.

I don't think "fake news"was originally the right's term. Macron was using it in its original context, to describe the nonsense conspiracy sites masquerading as legitimate news outlets that get spread on social media by ideologues and believed by people who are bad at analyzing news sources and people with confirmation bias, before the right seized hold of it and turned it into "any news we disagree with."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What would that translation be?

Les actualités faux?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

Fake News stories were properly labelled fake.

Since Trump has decided to coop the term to malign CNN/WaPo/NYT/MSNBC, maybe we should start saying Hoax News? Because the term "fake news" was created to describe poo poo you could disprove on sites like Snopes.

Snopes being massively labelled as a partisan site because it disproves lovely right-wing memes and chain e-mail anecdotes is pretty loving gross too. They even attack the organs used to fight against misinformation.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 29, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pakled posted:

I don't think "fake news"was originally the right's term. Macron was using it in its original context, to describe the nonsense conspiracy sites masquerading as legitimate news outlets that get spread on social media by ideologues and believed by people who are bad at analyzing news sources and people with confirmation bias, before the right seized hold of it and turned it into "any news we disagree with."

Which, incidentally, wrecks the term used to describe the original phenomenon. It's actually quite clever.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I remember it having a brief period of intentional meaning back in October or thereabouts, when people started looking into articles being passed around Facebook and twitter and realizing they were utter fabrications. The "Trump called republicans stupid" story and the various Hillary hit squad reports. For about a week there were articles about "Fake news stories".

Then Trump dropped it in a rally about CNN and HERE WE FUCKIN ARE.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

M.c.P posted:

I remember it having a brief period of intentional meaning back in October or thereabouts, when people started looking into articles being passed around Facebook and twitter and realizing they were utter fabrications. The "Trump called republicans stupid" story and the various Hillary hit squad reports. For about a week there were articles about "Fake news stories".

Then Trump dropped it in a rally about CNN and HERE WE FUCKIN ARE.

Cable news media kind of latched onto it in the election post-mortem, I think cause it let them pass the blame on to a bunch of Russian hackers and Internet stooges instead of acknowledging that they'd spent the last few months covering sensationalist HER EMAILS stories.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This is perfect. This is our stupid loving country in a nutshell. People voting themselves out of existence in order to spite someone or something. It's amazing.

On a side note poo poo like this also makes me depressed. I honestly used to love this country. Hell I'm watching Band of Brothers right now (HBO memorial day marathon) and it made me think that, despite the many MANY faults of this nation, at least it tried to prove its existence by standing for an ideal. We can't even do that anymore, and I blame Republicans and anyone selfish and stupid enough to still associate with them.

It's less that andore people just not really subscribing to the idea of being Americans anymore. People keep splitting themselves into little groups, and become so incensed and hateful of The Dreaded Other that they stop seeing them as neighbors or even people and see them as enemies to be snuffed out. You see a lot of that in this thread lately too, it's something I've started to see on both sides of the isle and it's very worrying.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder Paul Ryans favorite band is RAtM.

Back when I was a republican douchebag (college), I took great joy in the fact that I enjoyed Rage and they would hate me. Paul Ryan is almost certainly the same.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Pakled posted:

And originally it made more sense. The site's (mostly just facebook pages really, before the right threw a hissy fit to make them stop shutting them out) in question were legit inventing stories. Now though they're just fudging headlines with implication and posting semi related content in the article knowing no one in their target demo reads the article.

And they're being used as propoganda instead of just click bait now (well, they always were, they just co-opted the technique). So I say call it what it is.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Grapplejack posted:

It's less that andore people just not really subscribing to the idea of being Americans anymore. People keep splitting themselves into little groups, and become so incensed and hateful of The Dreaded Other that they stop seeing them as neighbors or even people and see them as enemies to be snuffed out. You see a lot of that in this thread lately too, it's something I've started to see on both sides of the isle and it's very worrying.

See the problem with that is the Republicans target people who just want to live their lives and not be discriminated against. They are evil, actual quantifiable evil and just like evils of the past there can be no negotiation. The only solution is their utter destruction and actively preventing them from reforming.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Did we even talk about this one?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/869166145894535169

What?

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Crain posted:

And they're being used as propoganda instead of just click bait now (well, they always were, they just co-opted the technique). So I say call it what it is.

I remember the fake news thing being these outrage inducing articles about nothing.

"Americans furious after [Candidate] says out of context quote!" and the whole article is based around three tweets from no one in particular.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Brave China, you try so hard!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/drstef/status/869216192317227008

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

China is putting pressure on North Korea to stop shooting missiles. So if they do it anyway they're showing disrespect for their only ally and primary trading partner.

China is the only path to resolving the North Korean problem that doesn't kill a few hundred thousand South Koreans.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Why would Angela Merkel be there?

To Lead the free world? Duh!

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 29, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

FizFashizzle posted:

What would that translation be?

Les actualités faux?

Fausses nouvelles.

E. In the actual clip he says "contre-vérités" and "propagandes mensongères" but fausses nouvelles is the term for "fake news" and it actually predates this election cycle.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 29, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Jesus that's about the most disrespectful and embarrassing thing I think he's done so far. Thanks all you dead guys who would have voted for me, time to jam! :rock:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

this isn't that egregious, some folks are gonna love it as a sign of passion or whatever

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Vegetable posted:

this isn't that egregious, some folks are gonna love it as a sign of passion or whatever

The worst part is that he obviously doesn't know all the lyrics. It's like trying to sing a karaoke song but you've only heard the song a few times so you jump into the middle of lines you recognize

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
I watched most of the memorial ceremony on the Fox News stream and people were going nuts about how amazing Trump was for just putting his hand over his heart...

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I like to think he has no idea why he is there until the teleprompter tells him, after talking about the election win...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He loves America so much he can't keep the song in his heart

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Vegetable posted:

Its pretty loving egregious but you're right, his cultists will claim it just shows how much he loves America.

Mide posted:

I watched most of the memorial ceremony on the Fox News stream and people were going nuts about how amazing Trump was for just putting his hand over his heart...

Like that. The far-right was so convinced that Obama was making GBS threads on babies and yelling the shahada every time there was a patriotic event that they'll eat any show of patriotism.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I just want to go back to this for a sec, I'm actually amazed he blocked someone.

All this time, I assumed Trump just tweeted out and never read the responses, because since the Russians turned off the bots the responses are almost universally negative.

She must've really gotten under his skin, perhaps she hit a bit too close? Hmm.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Apparently Trump reads his mentions all the time

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Yeah it is. Some dumbasses will cheer him on but he's at a fuckin cemetery to Press X to Pay Respects. :911:

Mide posted:

I like how he pats himself "Man that's a catchy beat!"

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/868459359851995136

If McMaster does public appearances, people should pelt him with his own book.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Apparently Trump reads his mentions all the time

Ouch, I'd almost feel bad for him if he wasn't one of the worst people alive.

Almost all the responses to his tweets just seethe with visceral hatred. It's oddly soothing to read them.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Snuffman posted:

Ouch, I'd almost feel bad for him if he wasn't one of the worst people alive.

Almost all the responses to his tweets just seethe with visceral hatred. It's oddly soothing to read them.

The terrorism speech a few days ago where he was talking about calling them Losers instead of Monsters since terrorists would enjoy being called monsters I think is more projection.

I think he gets off on the hate also I think loser really crawls up his rear end. I bet that's what daddy railed on him with.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rinkles posted:

That was a disgusting, petty insult. This is a national tragedy.

A hate crime is not going to be considered a national tragedy. Especially by Trump in this case unless he tries to play up the "well this guy supported Bernie so clearly he's an alt-left radical" thing that right wingers have tried tossing around.

VitalSigns posted:

Texas would immediately fail as an independent state, because although in theory we send about as much to the federal government as we get back on average, in practice Texas would never tax appropriately and become a corrupt bankrupt crumbling petrostate trying to squeeze more blood from the poor to fill its massive budget hole

Texas also pays more than it receives because it has tons of Federal contracts that would be gone immediately if it broke free on its own.

Jesus Christ.

His base will love it because "LOOKIT TRUMP SINGING UNLIKE THAT PINKO COMMIE KENYAN BASTARD UBUMMAR."

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

Nah, it's very hosed up. Some people may disagree with Memorial Day and call all soldiers killers, murderers, whatever but he's the President and he should be as solemn as Mattis is. He disrespects the people that have died since the Revolutionary War acting like this is Game 1 of the World Series or some other dumb sports event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

New life goal: Get blocked by the POTUS.

• Locked thread