Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Javid posted:

I'd be more interested to see a theater get sued for their "no outside food" policy by somebody who's, I dunno, hypoglycemic or something where they medically have to have A) food B) food that meets specific nutritional criteria on hand (ie not popcorn or candy) at all times. I'm guessing this hasn't actually happened because just sneaking it in is easier.

If you're hypoglycemic, candy and soda is actually exactly what you need... That said, I can't think of a medical condition off the top of my head that both allows you a normal enough routine to go to the movies, but still requires you to eat specific foods (not medications) less than every two hours. I'm sure if you were that special a snowflake, and had a doctor's note, they'd let you do what you needed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Marfan lipodystrophy syndrome is the closest I can think of, but it’s questionable for several reasons.

Sufferers (and they are few) definitely do have to eat food, every fifteen minutes, and if they can be motivational speakers, they can probably see a film.

It may be possible to subsist on popcorn and soda pop, but I wouldn’t question it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:bahgawd: Darn you, ladies night at the bar!

One of my local gun ranges charges half off for ladies, kids are free on a 1:1 ratio with adults. Clearly, my equal protection is being violated.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 27, 2017

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

vyelkin posted:

If this is the case then couldn't the theatre make an argument that they had some reason to believe the MRA guy would violate women's privacy during the movie and so they were justified in holding women-only showings?

Presumably this is the same way gyms justify having women-only hours, because male gym-goers can be huge creeps and women should have the right to work out without the looming threat of being approached by some megacreep.

I doubt that would work. When people work out, they often don't want members of the opposite sex to see their fat guts flapping around. That's not a concern at movie theaters. Additionally, a movie theater is a public accommodation while a gym is (typically) a private club.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Special prices for kids is ageist!!

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Javid posted:

I'd be more interested to see a theater get sued for their "no outside food" policy by somebody who's, I dunno, hypoglycemic or something where they medically have to have A) food B) food that meets specific nutritional criteria on hand (ie not popcorn or candy) at all times. I'm guessing this hasn't actually happened because just sneaking it in is easier.

They don't have a problem with people bringing in medication. "I can get hypoglycemic" is going to let you bring in as many glucose tablets or gels or liquids as you want.

If a theatre actually enforced that policy and someone died, or suffered any kind of harm, because of it it the possible loss is too big to risk on a few bucks of concessions.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Potato Salad posted:

:bahgawd: Darn you, ladies night at the bar!

One of my local gun ranges charges half off for ladies, kids are free on a 1:1 ratio with adults. Clearly, my equal protection is being violated.

This is a really stupid comparison. Obviously this isn't anything people should get upset over but it would be interesting to hear openargs take on it instead of the know - nothing garbage - tier arguments being made by pretty much everyone but twodot.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ha, oh poo poo. Okay guy, you or Twoot or whoever he is may now begin citing case law that indicates this passes muster as illegal discrimination.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Potato Salad posted:

Ha, oh poo poo. Okay guy, you or Twoot or whoever he is may now begin citing case law that indicates this passes muster as illegal discrimination.
Is the legality of this in dispute? I quoted the relevant ordinance. I don't think anyone should care whether this is legal, like jaywalking or whatever, but the law seems unambiguous here.
edit:
I've seen reasonable arguments that there's effectively no damages for a civil suit, or that no judge would ever care to hear this case, but not that their actions don't violate the text of the law.

twodot fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 28, 2017

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Potato Salad posted:

Gee, yer onner, I told that boy that we could give him his hamburger round the back. Obviously him sittin up at the counter with my respectable customers would cause a scene. How can he claim damages and allege harm if I was happy to serve him a burger just like anybody else? We all know he was just lookin to cause trouble anyway.

That's what TROIKA means by garbage-tier arguments. The useful posts have been the ones that pointed out the Civil Rights Act, which revealed that women-only screenings are not illegal federally since Title II does not say anything about sex, and the one that pointed out the local law that does seem to make a female-only screening illegal. And absolutely if you brought this before a judge in Texas, there is some chance you'd get injunctive relief stopping the screenings based on that law. I have no idea if that chance is 1%, 50%, or 99% because I'm not a lawyer and I don't know what the judges are like down in Texas.

We all like dunking on MRAs, but we should probably stick to calling them whiny little shits blubbering about a movie they only want to watch so they can bitch about it on Reddit. I posted in this thread because it's usually reasonably informative and I hoped to learn about US law.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Javid posted:

There's probably a ADA claim there. Getting to bring in your glucose gel packets is probably a reasonable accommodation. On the other hand, I can't imagine any movie theater actually objecting to it.

e: or if one of their minimum wage 17 year old employees did, immediately apologizing profusely.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

twodot posted:

Is the legality of this in dispute? I quoted the relevant ordinance. I don't think anyone should care whether this is legal, like jaywalking or whatever, but the law seems unambiguous here.
edit:
I've seen reasonable arguments that there's effectively no damages for a civil suit, or that no judge would ever care to hear this case, but not that their actions don't violate the text of the law.

You can still obtain the "goods and services" in question if you're a guy. You just can't get into that specific theater at that specific time.

The difference here would be if men could only see Wonder Woman there in the terrible theater room where live skunks wander up and down the aisle (not the same service), or if men weren't allowed to buy Wonder Woman tickets there at all.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
De minimis non curat lex

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Hot take: public accommodations statutes in some states are really broadly worded and ladies night might conflict with them, but holy poo poo who cares chill.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Roadie posted:

You can still obtain the "goods and services" in question if you're a guy. You just can't get into that specific theater at that specific time.

And under many laws or ordinances, including those for the specific area in question, that's not allowed. Yes, a man can get into every other theater except that one, but segregation is illegal and most anti-segregation laws and ordinances don't have an "unless the segregated accommodations are really equal" exception. It's fair to say that having a women's-only screening isn't malicious and doesn't really inflict any meaningful harm, but it still would likely fall afoul of desegregation laws.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Ogmius815 posted:

Hot take: public accommodations statutes in some states are really broadly worded and ladies night might conflict with them, but holy poo poo who cares chill.

let me tell you about ethics in video game journalism

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Here's your plaintiff. Looking forward to the 5-4 decision.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 28, 2017

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

haveblue posted:

The end of that article is incredible.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

haveblue posted:

I absolutely 100% guarantee that the supreme court is not going to be issuing a ruling interpreting state statutes on public accomodations.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't like anti-discrimination laws preventing people from trying to score obnoxious political points, then perhaps you should try to repeal them.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

The politics between the government of Texas and the municipality in which its capital is seated are complex and really amusing as long as you don't live there.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

KernelSlanders posted:

The politics between the government of Texas and the municipality in which its capital is seated are complex and really amusing as long as you don't live there.

That's par for the course for at least the conservative states (also the nation).

A lot of state legislative races in Georgia involve platforms about how much the candidate hates Atlanta, for example.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

ulmont posted:

That's par for the course for at least the conservative states (also the nation).

A lot of state legislative races in Georgia involve platforms about how much the candidate hates Atlanta, for example.

Florida may be the King of this phenomena, except it's not the capital that receives the hate. The yokels who dominate our politics are united in their spite and hate for the southern cities that keep their lights on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I vote against candidates who engage in synecdoche as a matter of principle.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Schizotek posted:

Florida may be the King of this phenomena, except it's not the capital that receives the hate. The yokels who dominate our politics are united in their spite and hate for the southern cities that keep their lights on.

Tallahassee is too boring to hate.

For now.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Tallahassee is too boring to hate.

For now.

Tallahassee is clone stamped Valdosta. Boring as fuuuuck and doesn't feel like a capitol at all.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Schizotek posted:

I think this is much more the norm than the focus of the hate being the capital itself. See also: Illinois, New York, California.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/comfortablysmug/status/868871357114851328

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shakenbaker posted:

Tallahassee is clone stamped Valdosta. Boring as fuuuuck and doesn't feel like a capitol at all.

Yeah, it's a medium-ish (200k) college town with a slightly higher proportion of older professionals.

I grew up in College Station, Texas which is frankly now a more happening place than Tallahassee. :v: :hf: :saddowns: And growing faster, but Tallahassee is growing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tallahassee isn't that bad and it's worlds better than loving Valdosta.

It's an interesting place because it's really just a tiny rear end rural north florida town like crawfordville, quincy, or monticello, but it happens to be the state capital and have two huge colleges and a junior college. I figure take those away and it's just another 20k person conservative rural town, but with all that added in it's an odd liberal city with a redneck backbone. My favorite part is how my representative in Congress is shared with Jacksonville, Florida but people in the rich part of town shares a rep with PCB.

Also gently caress aggy and college station.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

haveblue posted:

To be fair, if trolling people who ascribe unreasonable importance to a particular brand or media property is no longer legally protected, this forum is going to be even more dead.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dead Reckoning posted:

To be fair, if trolling people who ascribe unreasonable importance to a particular brand or media property is no longer legally protected, this forum is going to be even more dead.

i dont think "being a dick to women for no reason" is really trolling. it's just being a dick. to women.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

cis autodrag posted:

i dont think "being a dick to women for no reason" is really trolling. it's just being a dick. to women.
It isn't being a dick to women as a whole, it's being a dick to the subset of people who think Zack Snyder producing a franchise movie about a character that started life as BDSM wank material is An Important Moment For Feminism, as well as a few people who got sucked in by WB's social media campaign to portray their $120 million movie as an underdog that women should buy tickets for to send a message to the patriarchal studio system. And I'm OK with that being legally protected.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 30, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Are you the plaintiff, you sound real mad about Wonder Woman

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Zack Snyder is directing it? Good god, someone has got to be actively sabotaging the properties at this point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Zack Snyder is not and never was directing Wonder Woman. It's directed by Patty Jenkins, a relatively unknown woman director who's done a bunch of TV stuff and some dramatized biography of a prostitute-turned-serial killer.

Snyder produced it but, unfortunately, probably won't be involved with DC movies for a while because his daughter died recently and he's taking a break from his work.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Are you the plaintiff, you sound real mad about Wonder Woman

Like most goons, I am personally affronted if someone gets excited about a mainstream media property I don't have an interest in. :rolleye:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dead Reckoning posted:

It isn't being a dick to women as a whole, it's being a dick to the subset of people who think Zack Snyder producing a franchise movie about a character that started life as BDSM wank material is An Important Moment For Feminism, as well as a few people who got sucked in by WB's social media campaign to portray their $120 million movie as an underdog that women should buy tickets for to send a message to the patriarchal studio system. And I'm OK with that being legally protected.

Is there a well actually emote? I need it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cis autodrag posted:

Is there a well actually emote? I need it

:gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Zack Snyder is not and never was directing Wonder Woman. It's directed by Patty Jenkins, a relatively unknown woman director who's done a bunch of TV stuff and some dramatized biography of a prostitute-turned-serial killer.

Snyder produced it but, unfortunately, probably won't be involved with DC movies for a while because his daughter died recently and he's taking a break from his work.

Oh, phew, ok. Sorry, shoulda paid more attention. Though, given DC's producer meddling reputation...

edit: he's lead writer.