Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Mr. Nice! posted:

And? Dude's just mouthing the words of the song.

and its a current event. ii #we #oi laughed; thought you could use one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

:lol:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Booker was a rising star for about five minutes in the fall and then it came out he voted in favor of some poo poo that favored pharmaceutical companies over consumers because they had donated big time to him. So this is just another mark against his dumb rear end

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There's competition between France and Germany over who is the true leader of the free world.

https://twitter.com/dmitryzaksAFP/status/869218393001512960

https://twitter.com/B3infos/status/869225360168067072

https://twitter.com/BreakingF24/status/869213284649418752

Bonus comedytweet for journalists on a holiday: https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/869232226604593153

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can France even carry out a strike like that without US assistance? I'm not even saying that in the rear end in a top hat way, just in the can French logistics and deployments independently support that?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

And? Dude's just mouthing the words of the song.

and? It looks hilariously childish. Imagine any other president just bobbing along to the song and mouthing the words.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Can France even carry out a strike like that without US assistance? I'm not even saying that in the rear end in a top hat way, just in the can French logistics and deployments independently support that?

probably just not sustained.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Reverand maynard posted:

probably just not sustained.

What is the Charles De Gaulle up to these days?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Missionary Positron posted:

Brexit might've been a blessing in disguise for the EU.

I 100% agree with that, even as an anglophile frog who lived in blighty for a decade.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

A strike? Yes

A sustained bombing campaing with strategic implications ? Mmm no

Syria may be able to like deploy some Chem and ride out the 3 days of independent bombing the French can accomplish on their own and than continue to do whatever they want

Now politically....if the French ask ze Germans for help idk how that changes the calculus....and if they ask the US....idk. What's donnies answer? Saying no has horrifying implications in the international sphere. US condones use of chemical weapons and no one else has the ability to do anything about it so...lol international norms and stability

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Holy poo poo. Horrific bland centrist or not, thats funny.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Reverand maynard posted:

and? It looks hilariously childish. Imagine any other president just bobbing along to the song and mouthing the words.

Can you imagine the unbelievable poo poo storm on right wing media if Donnie ordered Dijon mustard, didn't have a flag pin and walked past a marine without saluting?

You're right neither can I because hypocrisy went all murder/suicide with satire and now both are dead.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I do very much like the assertive rhetoric coming from France and Germany after they have seemingly made a decision to become more independent however I do not condone the way donnie has gone about eliciting that response....i.e being pants on head retarded and a loving idiot resulting in massive chaos, the paralyzation of the US nat defense apparatus, no foreign policy and a vacuum for Russia to move into

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Reverand maynard posted:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Flikken posted:

What is the Charles De Gaulle up to these days?

Are they actually going to go through with their 2nd carrier now?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Suicide Watch posted:

They might as well buy an unfinished UK one and turn it into Catobar so it's useful.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can see Obama starting to get into it too.

This was a funeral, right?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Suicide Watch posted:

Maybe? The presidential election brought that topic back on the table. It would take us ten years though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Waroduce posted:

A strike? Yes

A sustained bombing campaing with strategic implications ? Mmm no

Who needs a sustained bombing campaign if the strike is a few PGM into Assad and his cronies?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Who needs a sustained bombing campaign if the strike is a few PGM into Assad and his cronies?

Insallah

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M_Gargantua posted:

The problem is being able to shrug off to these few PGMs obviously emboldens Assad or at least strengthens his position ironically.

Also I really don't want a strong Frano-German military alliance...Larry Bond showed us that route.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
A Franco-German military alliance that eventually grows into an all-out EU military, complete with a strategic nuclear deterrence :fap:

EDIT: I mean, come on. We already have a rad coat of arms ready to go:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 29, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i'm afraid of reverse ww2

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The problem is being able to shrug off to these few PGMs obviously emboldens Assad or at least strengthens his position ironically.

No. I mean bombing him, you can't shrug off death. As recent history has shown the brief period where killing 'civilian' leadership in wartime was seen as unsportsmanlike is over. They use chemical weapons again, France (and I assume merkel and Germany will stand by them) strikes and strikes hard. In their wake is a humanitarian crisis, but one likely no worse than what's already happening. If they catch any flak they can just point to america as an example to justify their actions

And at the minimum they'll have removed an rear end in a top hat from the world.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

i'm afraid of reverse ww2

Italy on our side would be pretty terrifying.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Politico noted something that I've felt, too:

Trump and Europe, trading places. Don’t look now, the EU is having a huge 2017.

quote:

When Donald Trump won the American presidency last November, the European establishment slipped from deep funk (over Brexit, terrorism, euro troubles, migration, populism) into full depression.

Six months later, the dark jokes about political suicide watches still resonate. They’re just not directed at Continental Europeans.

This week, on his first trip abroad, the U.S. President is meeting a changed Continent. The mood has swung — wildly, some might say manically — to confidence veering toward giddiness.

Is it Brussels or Washington that today resembles a “hellhole” (in the bon mot from Trump’s campaign that so many have gleefully recalled)?

In contrast to its Anglo-Saxon interlocutors — Trump and Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May who, to be generous, both look a lot more politically wobbly than a few short weeks ago — Europe’s famously dysfunctional leadership is positively chipper.

Mood swings, like political swings, happen quickly. This one could sweep back just as rapidly. But for now, to the pleasant surprise of the fervent defenders of the post-war “European project,” the Continent’s Cassandras have been muted by the events of this spring.
Germany’s humming economy, which created 4.5 million jobs in the past six years and is near full employment, is the primary engine driving the city’s transformation. Now comes Brexit. As it threatens — to London’s dawning dismay — to send many well-paid jobs out of the City, Frankfurt is the destination at the top of the list.

To businesspeople here, Prime Minister May’s Brexit-means-hard-Brexit is an act of sheer insanity, “an amputation,” as one puts it. And not because it is a rejection of “European values” and liberalism — such airy notions hold little currency for the practical Germans — but because of what it’ll cost the U.K. in lost trade and income.
“Brexit may end up being a blessing in disguise,” Dastis says. “It may end up giving unity that was missing. In part, it was the same with the Soviet Union, which was an external [unifying threat] … Maybe Brexit is the way for us to find a new will and sense of common purpose.”
Here’s a real news flash: Brussels is having a good year. European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, whom Trump met on Thursday, is on a bit of a political winning streak. The Dutch and French voters did their part by rejecting populists. The EU economy is doing better, at least by its relatively modest standards.

And Juncker, along with Council President Donald Tusk, have pulled off their own trick: to give the appearance that the 27 EU members who will remain after Britain leaves are united and committed to the “project” to build Europe free and whole. And that Brexit and Trump, which in their minds seemed ready to combine into a possibly fatal threat to the Western liberal order, may in different ways actually reinforce it.
Hubris has, of course, undone Europe many times before. But that’s not in the air, not yet. The feeling is of relief and guarded not-pessimism.

For sure, the EU’s structural problems are all there. The latest and still inconclusive wrestling match over Greece’s eternal bailout this week was another reminder that the eurozone is a vulnerable place. Italy is a mess; politics in Hungary and Poland continue to cause Euro-grandees headaches; and the democratic deficit in Brussels, the north-south tensions, and the demographic time bomb are lying in wait, as always.

Most of the improved spirits might be chalked up to one big thing: the problem cases in the West aren’t, for a change, on this side of the Atlantic (or Channel).

We’re talking about moods and appearances. Then again, that’s political reality, especially these days. Trump and May look a bit smaller, so they must be. And Europe is up — a sentence anyone who has followed the Continent for years would be shocked to commit to ink or pixels.

Is this... hope? No, it's cautious optimism but that's fine, 'cause that's okay :unsmith:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 29, 2017

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.
There is always the Triomphants.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/CapMalcolm/status/869216012553469952

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Lmfao

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

jesus loving christ

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

That's not very subtle. What a loving retard

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

What the hell prompted that from Trump?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Probably looked at him funny after he shoved to the front of the group

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hubris and idiocy.

I try to keep my opinions on Trump off public internet forums because I don't want to get turned around at the border one of these days, but by god as my witness that man is a danger to the human race.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Hubris and idiocy.

I try to keep my opinions on Trump off public internet forums because I don't want to get turned around at the border one of these days, but by god as my witness that man is a danger to the human race.

:nsa:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NSA WIZARD gonna show up and blacklist my passport

(though at the rate Passport Canada is taking they're not gonna get my new one to me by the time I leave for Cisco Live jfc government get it together)

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Tbf we are all on a government list somewhere given the odd conglomeration of people's personal + professional backgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/869225899509547008

I'm really starting to like Macron.

• Locked thread