Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
As much as I like to make fun of Singabore, I would move there in a heartbeat if I were pursuing a career and it made sense to take the offer - and the offer accounted for the massive hike in my cost of living from moving there (which, outside of alcohol, wouldn't be nearly as big a factor coming from Japan as from Thailand). I don't think I'd want to stay there long-term and in my case I'd plan a return to Thailand, but then again I've never tried, so I don't know. I can say a lot of people I know who've moved there have basically said it's a good place to spend some time, but they either plan to move on or have already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Like any other city in Asia with high costs of living, if your salary is good enough, you'll probably like it.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
What are the best Duckmaster stories? I'm taking a travel writing class as my elective this summer and I want to break up the precious circle-jerk about sacred life experiences. It's like accidentally getting trapped in a HCM hostel with the kind of trust-fund backpackers who do yoga at dawn, bow at anyone in a monk robe, and don't want to be called tourists.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Hey guys! Thanks for the suggestions earlier wrt my trip to Manila. I didn't end up going out on my own to hike outside of Manila (too time consuming, gf hated the idea), but the advice to download some offline maps of the area proved *really* useful. I did end up walking from BGC to Makati to prove it could be done, but walking along the side of the McKinley parkway got me a few odd looks (as well as a persistent smell of diesel fumes in my hair).

The girlfriends company did end up giving us a van and driver to see Tagaytay, though! Stunning, if a bit touristy. Manila is a pretty cool place to be, although Makati is a bit sterile.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Pixelante posted:

What are the best Duckmaster stories? I'm taking a travel writing class as my elective this summer and I want to break up the precious circle-jerk about sacred life experiences. It's like accidentally getting trapped in a HCM hostel with the kind of trust-fund backpackers who do yoga at dawn, bow at anyone in a monk robe, and don't want to be called tourists.

hey I still lurk here :mad:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

duckmaster posted:

hey I still lurk here :mad:

You remain a high-point of adventure story-telling in SE Asia. And you're a lot more interesting than the wiccan motorcycle enthusiast who wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Burning Man in class today.

e: :glomp:

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 19, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Most of my Southeast Asian adventure stories now are just, "Drunk Brit says something racist, his friends nod in agreement, I drink my beer and die a little more inside."

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey singapore goons, I'm coming over this weekend!

Who is up to meet up and eat some food? Im leaving late sunday night

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I have finally resettled in SEA! I've got an apartment in Da Nang and it's pretty cool so far. I know Saigon pretty well but Da Nang is a totally new adventure. Any goons around here?

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

caberham posted:

Hey singapore goons, I'm coming over this weekend!

Who is up to meet up and eat some food? Im leaving late sunday night

Hey I'll be available Saturday evening, but I can't stay too late - gotta wake up early on Sunday. I'll PM you (don't have your number anymore)

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Cabe :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Perhaps if you find an excellent Scotch hotel buffet!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I grew up in Singapore and would move back there in a heartbeat if I can make the same salary as I do now. Although come to think of it, I don't know if I'll want my future kids to go through the same brutal education system that I went through.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Senso posted:

I have finally resettled in SEA! I've got an apartment in Da Nang and it's pretty cool so far. I know Saigon pretty well but Da Nang is a totally new adventure. Any goons around here?

Hey man who did you go with for cell service? I'm still in the states until July and T-Mobile doesn't do Vietnam.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man Singapore goon meet was super fun

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Springfield Fatts posted:

Hey man who did you go with for cell service? I'm still in the states until July and T-Mobile doesn't do Vietnam.

I just got a random Mobiphone SIM in Saigon, been working fine.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just make sure your phone is unlocked and buy a local SIM for the duration of your trip.

Actually I don't know. Are American phones still dumb that way? When I bought a SIM in Taiwan last week I had to reassure the clerk that I had a Taiwanese phone and not an American one so I could use any SIM. They panicked when they saw my passport.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Oh, US phone companies still shove contracts on you if you take the cheap new phone bait. Luckily mine is unlocked so I shouldn't have that problem. Thanks.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I think the US uses a different band than Asia. If i recall correctly there are 4 different bands, I bought a quad band "international model" phone so I could use sims from all around the world. I'd do some more research to see what kind of frequency or whatever your phone uses, and if it will work in other countries

E: from google because I only kinda know what I'm talking about

"Quad-band. Refers to a mobile phone that supports the four major GSM frequency bands (850/900/1800/1900 MHz), making it compatible with all the major GSM networks in the world. The 850/1900 MHz bands are mainly used in the US, while the 900/1800 MHz ones are available in most other countries worldwide."

kru
Oct 5, 2003

caberham posted:

Man Singapore goon meet was super fun

What Singapore goons??

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America

kru posted:

What Singapore goons??
Me, for one. Long time no see man

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, let's catch up when I'm back from Scotland. :hellyeah:

creamyhorror
Mar 11, 2006
the incredible adventures of superworm across America

kru posted:

Yeah, let's catch up when I'm back from Scotland. :hellyeah:
Yessir!

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Likely headed to Thailand in September. I want to do a side trip to Siem Reap before it becomes too commercialized. What's a good length of time to visit? And is weed pizza an actual thing there?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

birds posted:

I want to do a side trip to Siem Reap before it becomes too commercialized.

I have some bad news for you.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

birds posted:

Likely headed to Thailand in September. I want to do a side trip to Siem Reap before it becomes too commercialized. What's a good length of time to visit? And is weed pizza an actual thing there?

:lol: you're about 15 years too late my dude.

E: This isn't to say that you shouldn't go. Everywhere you're going to have heard of before coming is going to be 'too commercialized', but it doesn't mean that places like Siem Reap aren't worth a visit.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 7, 2017

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I have some bad news for you.
Haha, beat me to it.

he;lp

I remember when I went back and saw rails and ropes for the first time, then wooden staircases. I was like :wtc:

I completely understand why, but it's a shame we can't have nice things.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

interesting ritual going on here, praise the sun god

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

Haha, beat me to it.

he;lp

I remember when I went back and saw rails and ropes for the first time, then wooden staircases. I was like :wtc:

I completely understand why, but it's a shame we can't have nice things.

:china:

There was a line to get into the top sanctuary of Angkor Wat when I was last there in January. They had signs on the line that said "90 minute wait from this point". It was pretty bad. It may be a little better in the wet season (imo the best time to visit SE Asia), but the mainland tourist industry is in full swing and I doubt it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I think there are still ways you can beat the crowds at Angkor, like going certain places at certain times. Like obviously avoid the main temple sunrise as pictured above, go at sunset instead since hardly anyone is there (and your iPhone pictures turn out better since the sun is behind you).

But I haven't been there in six years, so my advice is probably way out of date.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Like, I know the tourism industry there is booming but at least it's still relatively early, right? There's still people I know who are either terrified of visiting Cambodia as "it's a 3rd world, war torn poo poo hole!" or they don't even know that Cambodia is even a country. Best to go now rather than in 5 or 10 years when they get their first McDonald's or some poo poo.

Besides crowds, how has Siem Reap changed in the past decade or so?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

There's a KFC already.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

birds posted:

Like, I know the tourism industry there is booming but at least it's still relatively early, right? There's still people I know who are either terrified of visiting Cambodia as "it's a 3rd world, war torn poo poo hole!" or they don't even know that Cambodia is even a country. Best to go now rather than in 5 or 10 years when they get their first McDonald's or some poo poo.

Siem Reap is literally a town that exists to get people to and from Angkor Wat so it's really not the best example. McDonalds isn't in Cambodia for other reasons, but they have Burger King, Starbucks, KFC and Pizza Hut so yeah. It's really not early dude, sorry.

If you want a non-Western experience, go to Myanmar within the next 1-2 years. There's still quite a few tourists around, but Western brands (aside from Coke, anyway) are still quite scarce. That will change as the country opens up.

You could probably debate whether Cambodia is developing world or third world, but unless you want to go hiking in the landmine-covered areas, it's most definitely not a war-torn shithole.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

birds posted:

Go to not Siem Reap Cambodia? Hell, take some day trips out to Beng Melea or temples further away from the Chinese tour bus parade will find yourself nearly alone; especially in the wet season.

Beng Melea was by far the best temple in the Angkor region, if not because you could just scramble all over it.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Beng Melea was super nice and fun, with the added thrill that the stone blocks you're stepping on could collapse at anytime. It's definitely the least populated temple because of the distance. You can't escape the touts though, there's still someone there that would offer you a "tour" of the place but will ask for a tip afterwards.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

webmeister posted:

Western brands (aside from Coke, anyway) are still quite scarce. That will change as the country opens up.

they had like 12 flavors of mountain dew when I was there a few months ago

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

ladron posted:

they had like 12 flavors of mountain dew when I was there a few months ago
There is less than zero hope for a lot of reasons, yeah, heh.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Cambodia is lower middle income, which basically means a combination of developing and third world (it barely passed the marker from low income to lower-middle income, by the way). I feel like there is a lot of ground-floorism leading to their economic growth (and Myanmar's). People want to have money in places that could approximate Bangkok in 20-30 years. Not a lot of it is sustainable growth stuff, but money leaking from places now considered increasingly expensive like Jakarta or Bangkok.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Cambodia is lower middle income, which basically means a combination of developing and third world (it barely passed the marker from low income to lower-middle income, by the way). I feel like there is a lot of ground-floorism leading to their economic growth (and Myanmar's). People want to have money in places that could approximate Bangkok in 20-30 years. Not a lot of it is sustainable growth stuff, but money leaking from places now considered increasingly expensive like Jakarta or Bangkok.

Here's hoping they import massive garbage eating monitor lizards into the poo poo-canals that carve their way through the resulting megasloppyopolis. Love those dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I'm having friends visit from the states for a couple weeks. We're doing the local poo poo in Bangkok for the first few days, but then they wanted to hit a beach, naming Krabi as an option.

Anyone have a less crowded/better suggestion? I speak enough Thai to get hotel rooms/etc if it's not a particularly English-fluent area. Note we're all farangs + like drinking