Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Basticle posted:

So uh I had no idea this person is a journalist for the Denver Post. Or at least was since this tweet got them fired :lol:

Good, what an asinine thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Basticle posted:

So uh I had no idea this person is a journalist for the Denver Post. Or at least was since this tweet got them fired :lol:

Are you serious? Lmao

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Are you serious? Lmao

http://deadspin.com/denver-post-columnist-fired-after-racist-tweet-about-in-1795634687

quote:

Frei said in the apology the source of his anti-Japan angst was rooted in his father having fought in World War II.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Basticle posted:

that fav/reply ratio :eyepoop:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Why are people so loving stupid on social media. It's loving :magical:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:smug: 4th

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Basticle posted:

Lmao. Good luck explaining that job change in your next round of interviews, you idiot. I hope you aren't supposed to be providing for a family.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

Lmao. Good luck explaining that job change in your next round of interviews, you idiot. I hope you aren't supposed to be providing for a family.

I'm sure Breitbart is looking to expand their sports section.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I seriously don't get how some Americans are still this loving raw about a war they relatively suffered little by loving nearly 80 years on. France got the poo poo kicked out of them big time by the Germans and they're BFFs with Germany now. You won America, you can stop crying now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

I seriously don't get how some Americans are still this loving raw about a war they relatively suffered little by loving nearly 80 years on. France got the poo poo kicked out of them big time by the Germans and they're BFFs with Germany now. You won America, you can stop crying now.

Because spoiler alert: America is racist as gently caress still. It's just really, really taboo to talk about, mostly because the people on the right have convinced themselves that being called racist is just as bad as calling someone black the n-word, among other things.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

I love when professional people own themselves online. Not every thought in your poo poo brain needs to be shared with the world people, like someone said I hope he wasn't providing for a family or something, otherwise loving lol.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

Because spoiler alert: America is racist as gently caress still.

I was being rhetorical.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

I was being rhetorical.

Fair enough.

I have to deal with some old, white dudes who regularly go to my work, so it's something gets me going.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Japanese manufacturing coming in and outperforming the Americans around the time all these "I remember the war" people were starting to look for jobs in the 80s. Funnily enough they never bitch about the Krauts.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

learnincurve posted:

If the last raven leaves the Tower of London then England will fall, this is why we have the beefeaters to guard them with pikes.
What if the ravens hold a referendum on leaving Britain?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Their wings are clipped, they ain't going nowhere.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They can't, because their wings are clipped

efb grrrr learnincurve

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Does that take away their voting rights or their flying rights

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wicka posted:

Sorry about your continued independence from Germany, I guess.

Sochi was in April.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Basticle posted:

Lmao that is beautiful.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

Does that take away their voting rights or their flying rights

Well they're certainly not a flight risk

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Heh.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Japanese manufacturing coming in and outperforming the Americans around the time all these "I remember the war" people were starting to look for jobs in the 80s. Funnily enough they never bitch about the Krauts.

The big 3 got hit really, really, hard by the Japanese in the 1980s. It's importan to point out thought that the primary victims stateside of the Japanese arrival were the Italian and French manufacturers, which were reduced to nothing. Volkswagen almost kicked the bucket in NA as well in the early 1990s.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Big 3 getting hit was them trying to make small, fuel efficient cars in the wake of the 70s oil crisis and failing, the Japanese makers saw an opening because well, they already had them because those were the cars people drove in Japan, and the rest is history.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Drivers gone in 2018;

Palmer (This time for reals)
Stroll
Raikkonen

I would say Kyvat too but knowing my luck he's going to drive for the next 20 years. This list may change.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 29, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

The Big 3 getting hit was them trying to make small, fuel efficient cars in the wake of the 70s oil crisis and failing, the Japanese makers saw an opening because well, they already had them because those were the cars people drove in Japan, and the rest is history.

Europeans drove cars like that too and failed completely more or less. Light FWD cars are seen as a Japanese thing for reasons I don't understand; the first cars of that type were French. Toyota and Nissan stuck with rear drive until the early 80s; even longer than Ford or GM.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Europeans drove cars like that too and failed completely more or less. Light FWD cars are seen as a Japanese thing for reasons I don't understand; the first cars of that type were French. Toyota and Nissan stuck with rear drive until the early 80s; even longer than Ford or GM.

The reason was down to tolerance, fit and build quality. I loved my Scirocco but I don't think it was put together anywhere near as well as a Japanese enconobox. The Japanese really had a solid understanding of the idea that if you tighten up tolerances in manufacturing and work at it you're actually going to reduce total waste and eliminate quality issues with your product and the West just couldn't wrap their minds around that concept.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It was cool when 1970s Chrysler started importing Rootes group cars to fight the Japanese. Why buy a 510 when you could have a 1970s British product from the worst US manufacturer?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There's an old story/wife's tale about Ford and how in the 80s they had all their customers specifically requesting Mazda transmissions for a certain model. They go and ask some customers why and they say "Well it's quieter, shifts smoother and seems to last longer", so they go and tear down a few Mazda transmissions and it turns out the tolerances are a third what Ford's are. Idk how true that is but it captures exactly where the Americans hosed up.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 29, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

It was cool when 1970s Chrysler started importing Rootes group cars to fight the Japanese. Why buy a 510 when you could have a 1970s British product from the worst US manufacturer?

It's pretty ironic that they never brought over the Imp which would've probably done well as a decent import fighter in the 70s. I heard BL turned down buying them because they thought the Imp was just going to eat into Mini sales which is pretty ironic because their other models probably would've given them enough runway to figure out their clusterfuck of a lineup and develop some new models.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

There's an old story/wife's tale about Ford and how in the 80s they had all their customers specifically requesting Mazda transmissions for a certain model. They go and ask some customers why and they say "Well it's quieter, shifts smoother and seems to last longer", so they go and tear down a few Mazda transmissions and it turns out the tolerances are a third what Ford's are. Idk how true that is but it captures exactly where the Americans hosed up.

I'd believe it, it took the Big Three a looooong time to realize that they just needed to make better cars.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

I read something similar in a book about the British motorcycle industry. Some people at the BSA group bought one of the new Hondas in the 60s, probably one of the sloper twins like the 305, and took it apart to see how it was made. Their engineers figured that it would take them something like a million pounds to retool their factories to make ONE part equivalent to the Honda. I believe it was the head/cam block. It had so much precise machining in it. So then they decided "let's just make lovely bikes until we all go bankrupt" and they did.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

The reason was down to tolerance, fit and build quality. I loved my Scirocco but I don't think it was put together anywhere near as well as a Japanese enconobox. The Japanese really had a solid understanding of the idea that if you tighten up tolerances in manufacturing and work at it you're actually going to reduce total waste and eliminate quality issues with your product and the West just couldn't wrap their minds around that concept.

Yeah imma let you finish but just gonna remind you about the single cylinder Honda.

E: or whatever the gently caress that frankengine that had a crank that span the opposite way was.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Yeah imma let you finish but just gonna remind you about the single cylinder Honda.

It's not like Soichiro Honda just woke up one day and said, "Hmmmm...I'm going to invent the Honda Civic!"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

It's not like Soichiro Honda just woke up one day and said, "Hmmmm...I'm going to invent the Honda Civic!"

Nah but they've had some pretty awful ideas.

As I have previously waxed, their first ever Diesel engine belongs in the goddamn Louvre, but there are a few examples of utter garbage too.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Nah but they've had some pretty awful ideas.

As I have previously waxed, their first ever Diesel engine belongs in the goddamn Louvre, but there are a few examples of utter garbage too.

Eh, "size zero" was the awful idea that undermined their current F1 program, and that was all McLaren's fault.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Everyone singing the praises of Japanese engineering in a thread titled gently caress HONDA gently caress HONDA

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

E: or whatever the gently caress that frankengine that had a crank that span the opposite way was.

That's all their engines. They all do that.

Honda is its own special little breed of insanity, I think in general outside of Honda the Japanese aren't that adventurous technology wise in their cars. Honda for whatever idea is like a dog trying to catch a car when it comes to chasing stupid concepts.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
gently caress Honda. Whatever talent and engineering nous they possessed is long gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

My dream car is a Honda Odyssey

• Locked thread