Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I was about to say that I am shocked that Sony is finally doing firmware updates instead of just releasing new bodies. But they aren't :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Is going from an X-Pro1 to an X-T1 that much of an upgrade?

Last summer working in Denali National Park I found my OG X100 inadequate for any kind of wildlife photography so I picked up an X-Pro1, 35 1.4, and an xc 55-230 in preparation for coming back to Alaska.

I just paid for Rio's Fuji 100-400 to get more reach, and I'm wondering if I should upgrade bodies too. Landscapes and (now) wildlife are my largest two categories. Is the focus speed or low light significantly better with the X-T1? I know it's weather sealed and I may need to get the 23 f2 wr once I get a few paychecks.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The X-Pro 1 has famously mediocre autofocus, even with the latest firmware installed. The X-T1 was the first Fuji camera with good autofocus, and the X-T2 and X-T20 have great autofocus.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

ianskate posted:

Awesome, just upgraded!

Unrelated to the above, has anybody spotted some Fujifilm Memorial day sales anywhere?

I think we're all waiting impatiently for the next lens sale. I have seen nothing of the sort. They have me conditioned to not buy anything until they do a sale and I don't know how long to wait or if they stopped doing it.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

SimpleCoax posted:

I think we're all waiting impatiently for the next lens sale. I have seen nothing of the sort. They have me conditioned to not buy anything until they do a sale and I don't know how long to wait or if they stopped doing it.

Yep! That's what I'm waiting for. The prices are were great... the last one was December 2016, I think? I haven't been a follower of their sales in the past so I've got no clue how frequently they do it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ianskate posted:

Yep! That's what I'm waiting for. The prices are were great... the last one was December 2016, I think? I haven't been a follower of their sales in the past so I've got no clue how frequently they do it.

I think that song is over, becuase the mirrorless industry has left the competition phase and given up the low end to phone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Still waiting on the X-T20 to be in stock anywhere. :11tea: Still have an order with B&H and now it says it will be in stock June 7th. Worst wait ever!

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
here's an interesting link re: the EVF vs LCD power draw discussion that came up a while ago http://ultralightphotography.net/gear/fuji-cameras/x-t2-power-management/

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I'm thinking of finally upgrading from my x100 to an XT1, has anyone found a preset that has a similar OOC look?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fiannaiocht posted:

I'm thinking of finally upgrading from my x100 to an XT1, has anyone found a preset that has a similar OOC look?

All of the OOC "looks" are the same with the addition of Classic Chrome. The only difference will be that they do look a little different since the Xt1 is an x trans sensor and the x100 is a bayer sensor - even with its faults I miss my x100...there was something very special about its image output.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DJ if you were to have one would it be the 40-150 with 1.4 or the 300?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

DJ if you were to have one would it be the 40-150 with 1.4 or the 300?

I absolutely love the 300 but it's going to be limited in its use. It's a 600mm equivalent; this is a ton of reach.

In terms of versatility, the 40-150 f/2.8 is going to do a lot better for you. There are all manner of good primes you can toss in the bag as well and call it good.

E: Oh I mistook what you were saying. Still though, it would depend on what you already have and what you want to shoot. The 300mm is very expensive and still limits what you can use it for since it's just so much reach. That said, the stabilization is spectacular.

The 40-150 is really hard to argue with as an all-around. It's plenty bright, focuses fast, and takes a beating. I haven't heard bad things about the teleconverter, but you're going to lose a stop of light and a bit of sharpness, but that's the case with any teleconverter. It does still maintain the weather sealing though.

What body are you using all this with and what do you want to shoot?

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 30, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have the 100-300 which is quite soft at 300 but I find myself using it at 300 more often than not. I have the cheap 40-150 and have honestly never used it; prefering the 100-300 and 60. I do take a ton of basset hound photos at 100 though.

I was resolved not to get the 300 right now as I'm using the gx8, like money, and I have not adapted to the offset eye piece but both are on the refurb site and they usually have a June sale. If I could get it for just short of 2k I think that, the 60 and 12-40 would be a great hiking kit and allow easier bugs/critters than the 60 and much better birds than the 100-300.

Probably should take the 40-150 out this weekend to confirm.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 30, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Take the 40-150 f/2.8 out for a spin first. The 300mm is a beast of a lens (3.25 lbs, about 9" long without the hood extended) so it's going to take up a lot of space.

The 40-150mm f/2.8 is just under 2 lbs and about 6.3" long. That's a very significant difference if you're hiking.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rontalvos posted:

Is going from an X-Pro1 to an X-T1 that much of an upgrade?

Last summer working in Denali National Park I found my OG X100 inadequate for any kind of wildlife photography so I picked up an X-Pro1, 35 1.4, and an xc 55-230 in preparation for coming back to Alaska.

I just paid for Rio's Fuji 100-400 to get more reach, and I'm wondering if I should upgrade bodies too. Landscapes and (now) wildlife are my largest two categories. Is the focus speed or low light significantly better with the X-T1? I know it's weather sealed and I may need to get the 23 f2 wr once I get a few paychecks.

The biggest hinderance to the XPro1 for me is the sub-par EVF. I love the look, feel, and layout of the camera but honestly in anything that isn't a perfectly lit scene the EVF will lag. I thought I'd use the OVF more but I really do like the EVF more. My understanding is that the EVF and AF are drastically better in the XT1 so I'd say yes, depending on the price difference.

When I say sub-par EVF I don't mean it's unusable, it's just very laggy in low light conditions. You can certainly take photos and if it's bothering you terribly you can switch to OVF, but at some point in the future I'll be upgrading a camera I think is otherwise pretty much perfect for me.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Martytoof posted:

The biggest hinderance to the XPro1 for me is the sub-par EVF. I love the look, feel, and layout of the camera but honestly in anything that isn't a perfectly lit scene the EVF will lag. I thought I'd use the OVF more but I really do like the EVF more. My understanding is that the EVF and AF are drastically better in the XT1 so I'd say yes, depending on the price difference.

When I say sub-par EVF I don't mean it's unusable, it's just very laggy in low light conditions. You can certainly take photos and if it's bothering you terribly you can switch to OVF, but at some point in the future I'll be upgrading a camera I think is otherwise pretty much perfect for me.

I don't really find the EVF that bad, I just accept that it's not a SLR and it has its limitations. My biggest gripe with the Pro1 would be the focus speed, have been shooting with the 55-200 this morning and in some situations it just hunts and hunts. Coupled with no hard stops on the focus ring (I assume it's something to do with variable aperture zoom lenses) makes for some frustrating situations when you're trying to nail a quick shot.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
There's no hard stops on any of fuji's focus rings except the clutch type lenses.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

8th-snype posted:

There's no hard stops on any of fuji's focus rings except the clutch type lenses.

When I wrote that I didn't have any others on me to compare. Is there a reason for it?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I only have one lens with the clutch ring and although it is cool, I don't like it. It messes with being able to focus on some modes and it takes away flexibility. I like the normal old lens manual focus rings but I don't like having to push and pull just to do what I want when it all works well with the rings that don't have a hard stop.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
At a guess its because fuji has AF+M mode in mind when designing lens bodies. If it turns infinitely then there's no confusion about where the lens should focus if you manually adjust after an AF lock.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

So I'm going to Thailand at the end of the year, and I'm really tempted to pick up a Rokinon 12 mm X-series for landscapes and architecture at all the temples.

Is it really worth the $300-$400 price tag if I already have my kit lens, an 18-55 mm 2.8-4 lens?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

So I'm going to Thailand at the end of the year, and I'm really tempted to pick up a Rokinon 12 mm X-series for landscapes and architecture at all the temples.

Is it really worth the $300-$400 price tag if I already have my kit lens, an 18-55 mm 2.8-4 lens?

It's $289 at Adorama right now so it's cheaper than ever to say yes

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I can't stand manual focus these days so I use the 10-24mm, which can be had for like $800 used and is very good. You could look into the 14mm f/2.8 as well I think they got for around $600 used if you can find a deal. The 12mm rokinon is the best value in wideangle lenses though if you don't mind the manual focus.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Planning to go on a couple solo day hikes again.

I am a jaded enthusiast, I just want to try out a new equipment on the mountains. Should I rent a Fuji X70/Ricoh GR, or a 10-24mm, or a 360 camera? Maybe go broke and rent a RX1R?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

Planning to go on a couple solo day hikes again.

I am a jaded enthusiast, I just want to try out a new equipment on the mountains. Should I rent a Fuji X70/Ricoh GR, or a 10-24mm, or a 360 camera? Maybe go broke and rent a RX1R?

Rent a GFX 50S

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8th-snype posted:

Rent a GFX 50S

$485 for the body and the 32-64mm zoom lens.

I would do it if it doesn't crash my stickpic mount.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Fiannaiocht posted:

alternately, you could upgrade to an x100f and get all the sexy innards, performance and functionality of the XT2/XPro2 without the temptation and finance destroying properties of the Fujinon lens ecosystem.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

krackmonkey posted:

alternately, you could upgrade to an x100f and get all the sexy innards, performance and functionality of the XT2/XPro2 without the temptation and finance destroying properties of the Fujinon lens ecosystem.

That was 100% my reason for buying it. I cut myself off from the very real and strong temptation to chase lenses.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I'm gonna rent an x100f for my next wedding and probably buy one as a permanent second camera to my xpro2 and stable of lenses.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I'm not gonna lie - I miss the gently caress out of my x100 and really wish I had an f. It was the camera that got me into Fuji so it was when I still shot Canon and it was such a good second body (so good that I started using it more than my 5D which precipitated the full change when I got my x-t1). It is hard to justify the money spent since I can put my 23/1.4 on one body and whatever other lens I want on the other body now that I have an x-t2...I have absolutely no real need for an x100t. But I want one. And I am not exaggerating, I virtually never use two bodies and not have the 23 on one of them. But the 1.4 is extremely handy - tonight I had a gig shooting an opera and I was picturing a well lit concert venue but it was in a fire house and the audience was blindfolded so I could move wherever I wanted and used the 23 and 56/1.2 the whole night and it was really dark so that 1.4 was a godsend - if I sold the x-t1 and got an x100f I would have been shooting at a higher base ISO all night.

I feel like the x100 cameras are the best designed camera bodies of our age though and I miss mine often. And something like tonight I could have used the mechanics shutter since it is so quiet (part of the reason I got the gig was because I could shoot with the electronic shutter since they required total silence and didn't know that it was possible for a professional camera to shoot silently but there was florescent lighting so I had to shoot slow shutter speeds to avoid the fluorescent light lines that appear with the electronic shutter which was a tots pain since I didn't expect to have to deal with that.

Anyway that is the long version of agreeing that getting an x100f instead of an Xt1 is a good idea and yes it would save you money in the long run since once you get a Fuji ILC you will want all the lenses.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

rio posted:

Anyway that is the long version of agreeing that getting an x100f instead of an Xt1 is a good idea and yes it would save you money in the long run since once you get a Fuji ILC you will want all the lenses.

I was the happiest boy in the world with my 100T until I used my co workers xt2 with the 16-55 2.8 and then my bank account was very empty soon after.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That is another want that I don't need...the 18-55 is a great lens but I would love to splurge on that too. Just want all the gear I guess.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

rio posted:

I'm not gonna lie - I miss the gently caress out of my x100 and really wish I had an f. It was the camera that got me into Fuji so it was when I still shot Canon and it was such a good second body (so good that I started using it more than my 5D which precipitated the full change when I got my x-t1). It is hard to justify the money spent since I can put my 23/1.4 on one body and whatever other lens I want on the other body now that I have an x-t2...I have absolutely no real need for an x100t. But I want one. And I am not exaggerating, I virtually never use two bodies and not have the 23 on one of them. But the 1.4 is extremely handy - tonight I had a gig shooting an opera and I was picturing a well lit concert venue but it was in a fire house and the audience was blindfolded so I could move wherever I wanted and used the 23 and 56/1.2 the whole night and it was really dark so that 1.4 was a godsend - if I sold the x-t1 and got an x100f I would have been shooting at a higher base ISO all night.

I feel like the x100 cameras are the best designed camera bodies of our age though and I miss mine often. And something like tonight I could have used the mechanics shutter since it is so quiet (part of the reason I got the gig was because I could shoot with the electronic shutter since they required total silence and didn't know that it was possible for a professional camera to shoot silently but there was florescent lighting so I had to shoot slow shutter speeds to avoid the fluorescent light lines that appear with the electronic shutter which was a tots pain since I didn't expect to have to deal with that.

As a previous X100 and X100S owner, upgrading to the X100F was worth every single penny. ISO 12800 perfectly usable and I never have to go below 1/60.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

As a previous X100 and X100S owner, upgrading to the X100F was worth every single penny. ISO 12800 perfectly usable and I never have to go below 1/60.

Is 12800 available in auto-ISO on the new sensor, or does auto still top at at 6400?

In my experience, 12800 on the old sensor is pretty passable in a BW mode, but the colors get too out of control.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Huxley posted:

Is 12800 available in auto-ISO on the new sensor, or does auto still top at at 6400?

In my experience, 12800 on the old sensor is pretty passable in a BW mode, but the colors get too out of control.

yeah, just checked and can confirm that auto ISO settings now go to 12800

Confirmation by Bill Baker, on Flickr

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Huxley posted:

The new sensor gets rid of the weird waxy look that the old one had at 6400 and handles colour at high ISO a lot better. I used the X100S for a ton of low light shooting and the F is just so much better in every way.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I use the xpro2 (same sensor and processor) all the time with autoISO cranked to 12,800 to shoot both color and B&W. It's totally fine if that's what you need to capture action. Acros film sim is an absolute game changer compared to the old cameras imho. The way it processes grain in different parts of the photo can't be duplicated in post. Here's an example of color ISO 12,800 from last week at I show I shot. I don't do any post on shows, I rename them and upload keepers to the publication.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm window shopping MFT bodies, obsessing over which one has which features etc. The GM5 had a cool, perhaps gimmicky thing for video where you'd predefine two focus points and a transition speed and while recording it would smoothly rack from one point to the other at the set speed. Does anyone know if this was retained in later Panasonics?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
On my G7 there's a "focus pull" option under the Snap Movie settings which does that. Note that Snap Movies are at most 8 seconds long and the focus pull isn't triggerable, so it's not something you'd be able to do arbitrarily in the middle of a long cut.

There's also touch focus, which can be decent ... as long as the processor doesn't start off going the wrong way, giving you that zoom-in-out effect before it settles down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, it is probably just a little gimmick. Touch focus seems to work very well going by youtube, but it does snap quite fast with a bit of hunting. It's not something I really need anyway, but they could definitely have refined it further.