Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
"Making it so people can only get clean water may stop the spread of cholera, but it makes it unaffordable for people who could only drink from stagnant pools filled with animal corpses"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

vodkat posted:

I'm not going to continue arguing this with you on this, because you clearly just want to be right, and an adversarial style of argument isn't going to teach you anything new, but if you really aren't seeing the difference between a nation and a state, or why it matters, please do go and read up on it because as someone that spends all their time on the internet posting about politics you really owe it to yourself to get the same theoretical level as a first year undergraduate.

We were comparing Scotland to California, not Catalonia. You've trapped yourself in an irrelevant semantic cul de sac. UDI is not going to happen whatever label you choose to attach to that part of the UK.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

We were comparing Scotland to California, not Catalonia. You've trapped yourself in an irrelevant semantic cul de sac. UDI is not going to happen whatever label you choose to attach to that part of the UK.

Or is it?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

forkboy84 posted:

Well, that & whenever I watch the national football team.

Now you have me at it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

No. No it's not.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Pissflaps posted:

If only for the sake of pedantry and your reading comprehension.

Catalonia comes from feedmegin question:

feedmegin posted:

For a real-world demonstration of how all this works without Westminster consent, rest your peepers on Catalonia, btw. Is it independent yet? No? Well, that's how far unilateral independence referendums without the backing of constitutional law get you.

You then introduced California when quoting my reply to feedmegin.

At no point have I mentioned California, or said anything else substantive since replying to feedmegin's post. You are arguing with a strawman of your own creation here, and doing so poorly.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

No. No it's not.

gently caress!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

learnincurve posted:

HOW??? You don't even seem to understand that a pensioner in disability benefits can easily afford stuff.

Let's play the living on benefits game.

Young man 22, university degree, no dependants, one bed flat in a northern town with rent of £80 a week in council tax band c.

£57.90 a week jobseekers. -£1.78 in council tax -£1 water rates. Leaves £55.12 per week to live on. Token meters which people on the dole can only get have a .25p a day standing charge on them so take away £3.50. That's £51.62 left before you even turn on a hot water tap.
Going to the job centre is £3, gas and electric £10. Now we are down to £38.62. Want to attend a job interview and keep a phone on so the employer can contact you? That's another £3 bus trip and a Giff gaff contract is £2.50 a week. Now we are at £33.12.

£4.73 a day. To buy food, clothing, furniture, white goods, bus fares and so on. I also didn't give this hypothetical young man a maxed out credit card or overdraft fees. That's another £5 a week, and drops the poor lad to £4 a day to live on.

Now how insignificant does that £3.75 lightbulb feel?

enough for a meal deal :D

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Russia would probably recognise a Scottish UDI just to stir the pot.

Would prime minister corbyn threaten the use of nuclear weapons to stop the Russians from moving nukes to the outer hebridies??

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The Tories have emailed their supporters with briefing notes for tonight, asking them to retweet as much of the garbage coming out of CCHQ as possible. It also confirms that their main points tonight will be a) Jeremy Corbyn can't negotiate Brexit, b) Jeremy Corbyn is an IRA, and just for fun c) Jeremy Corbyn doesn't want to cut immigration.

It shows Lynton Crosby is firmly back in charge, so many kudos to anyone doing a drinking game for 'strong and stable' and 'coalition of chaos'. You will be remembered.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

This is stretching the reasonable bounds of outrage.

Regardless of your opinion of Abbott's competence, I'd say implying that she would literally gently caress the corpses of dead NHS patients is a bit much.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

TomViolence posted:

I really think we should put a moratorium on all the oy vey hope is a lie bollocks until after the election is lost, it's a real buzzkill when things are actually looking up for once.

People are awfully excited itt about being 10% behind in the polls, even if they were 30% behind up until recently.

We're going to take a kicking in the GE, but at least an erosion of the Tory majority (should that come to pass) will reward them with a bloody nose for their hubris.

Being 10% behind isn't exactly a cause for optimism or celebration imo but that's just me.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

kustomkarkommando posted:

Russia would probably recognise a Scottish UDI just to stir the pot.

Would prime minister corbyn threaten the use of nuclear weapons to stop the Russians from moving nukes to the outer hebridies??

His silence on the issue speaks volumes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

The Tories have emailed their supporters with briefing notes for tonight, asking them to retweet as much of the garbage coming out of CCHQ as possible. It also confirms that their main points tonight will be a) Jeremy Corbyn can't negotiate Brexit, b) Jeremy Corbyn is an IRA, and just for fun c) Jeremy Corbyn doesn't want to cut immigration.

It shows Lynton Crosby is firmly back in charge, so many kudos to anyone doing a drinking game for 'strong and stable' and 'coalition of chaos'. You will be remembered.

I feel like if net immigration numbers aren't very small then that's the conservatives' fault at this point.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like if net immigration numbers aren't very small then that's the conservatives' fault at this point.

Yeah they're sort of doing PR for each other there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

HOW??? You don't even seem to understand that a pensioner in disability benefits can easily afford stuff.

Let's play the living on benefits game.

Young man 22, university degree, no dependants, one bed flat in a northern town with rent of £80 a week in council tax band c.

£57.90 a week jobseekers. -£1.78 in council tax -£1 water rates. Leaves £55.12 per week to live on. Token meters which people on the dole can only get have a .25p a day standing charge on them so take away £3.50. That's £51.62 left before you even turn on a hot water tap.
Going to the job centre is £3, gas and electric £10. Now we are down to £38.62. Want to attend a job interview and keep a phone on so the employer can contact you? That's another £3 bus trip and a Giff gaff contract is £2.50 a week. Now we are at £33.12.

£4.73 a day. To buy food, clothing, furniture, white goods, bus fares and so on. I also didn't give this hypothetical young man a maxed out credit card or overdraft fees. That's another £5 a week, and drops the poor lad to £4 a day to live on.

Now how insignificant does that £3.75 lightbulb feel?

Okay here we go, because you're again being utterly ludicrous in picking the worst possible example you can to back your argument up. I won't even get into the fact that a single 22 year old university leaver is incredibly unlikely to have a one bed flat all to themselves without a family support network to turn to while unemployed, but whatever we'll go with it because its the only way to get you to shut up.

£57.90 a week jobseekers.
Council tax reduction scheme means he'd qualify for 0 rating and as such won't have to pay anything towards it.
Change to a token meter that has no standing charge (ebico) or a supplier with a lower standing charge. British Gas also offer a standing charge rebate scheme to people on jobseekers, but lets go with whats in the place my mates just moved into which is 15p a day. £1.15 a week.
He's a single man, and since i get through about 20 quid of electricity and £25 of gas a month with 2 people in my place, one of which loves half hour long showers. I'm going to pull you on that example too. A single person would use significantly less, so 25 quid a month at most. £5.25 a week
Bus fares, a weekly ticket would be much cheaper, and again supposing this man is an orphan with no family or friends to help him, theres a 7 day pass for £13 available in my area. All the bus journeys to interviews and job centers they'd need.
Phone. Credit only. £10 a month. So £2.50 a week.
Thats £38.25 for a weeks worth of food/incidentals for a single man. My weekly shop is just over £40 for 2 people. Working on the assumption that your man didn't move into an unfurnished flat with 0 possessions of his own already before suddenly being on job seekers thats perfectly doable to live on while only replacing things that go wrong. Which in the case of white goods is very rare, and if it truly does, there are services that provided massively discounted or even free white goods for people on benefits.
Lets also bring credit cards and overdraft fees into it, because a phone call to the providers would get the charges stopped and a payment plan of either a few months deferral (which is the usual course of action) or a closure of the account to be repaid at a nominal amount of a few pounds per month in true hardship cases.

But again, your example is just flat out ridiculous. In reality your man would be living at home and wouldn't be liable for half the poo poo you've got him down for.

You're just wrong.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Halogen bulbs are a lot cheaper than LED and still available in shops.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Okay here we go, because you're again being utterly ludicrous in picking the worst possible example you can to back your argument up. I won't even get into the fact that a single 22 year old university leaver is incredibly unlikely to have a one bed flat all to themselves without a family support network to turn to while unemployed, but whatever we'll go with it because its the only way to get you to shut up.

£57.90 a week jobseekers.
Council tax reduction scheme means he'd qualify for 0 rating and as such won't have to pay anything towards it.
Change to a token meter that has no standing charge (ebico) or a supplier with a lower standing charge. British Gas also offer a standing charge rebate scheme to people on jobseekers, but lets go with whats in the place my mates just moved into which is 15p a day. £1.15 a week.
He's a single man, and since i get through about 20 quid of electricity and £25 of gas a month with 2 people in my place, one of which loves half hour long showers. I'm going to pull you on that example too. A single person would use significantly less, so 25 quid a month at most. £5.25 a week
Bus fares, a weekly ticket would be much cheaper, and again supposing this man is an orphan with no family or friends to help him, theres a 7 day pass for £13 available in my area. All the bus journeys to interviews and job centers they'd need.
Phone. Credit only. £10 a month. So £2.50 a week.
Thats £38.25 for a weeks worth of food/incidentals for a single man. My weekly shop is just over £40 for 2 people. Working on the assumption that your man didn't move into an unfurnished flat with 0 possessions of his own already before suddenly being on job seekers thats perfectly doable to live on while only replacing things that go wrong. Which in the case of white goods is very rare, and if it truly does, there are services that provided massively discounted or even free white goods for people on benefits.
Lets also bring credit cards and overdraft fees into it, because a phone call to the providers would get the charges stopped and a payment plan of either a few months deferral (which is the usual course of action) or a closure of the account to be repaid at a nominal amount of a few pounds per month in true hardship cases.

But again, your example is just flat out ridiculous. In reality your man would be living at home and wouldn't be liable for half the poo poo you've got him down for.

You're just wrong.

thats almost 13 meal deals :O

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I bought a shed load of nice Philips ones in B and Q the other week for 1.50 each.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have very cheap bus tickets where you live, it's £20 a week if you want to go anywhere where I live.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

thats almost 13 meal deals :O

depends where you go

i wouldn't bother with a sainsbury meal deal tbh

and co-op meal deals are on a tiered system

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

tesco egg&cress triple, twix extra and a bottle of bru (irn bru)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why do people bother with cress in an egg sarnie?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Watercress in an egg sandwich is very nice.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

serious gaylord posted:

Not where I live. Everyone has to pay at least 25%.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
coop meal deal lets you get 2 boiled eggs with some mayo/mustard which is the superior snack option

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sorry, serious gayord they removed the 100% reduction in council tax, that was taken from a the benefits calculator, and you forgot about water. Your total is £35.47 only £2.35 a week more than mine. Your hypothetical young man has £5 a day to live off and a utterly destroyed credit rating, good luck with that mortgage when you get back on your feet lad.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

savage

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

vodkat posted:

The UK doesn't have many allies that think of us very highly of us at the moment, and there are lots of states out there that would love to see the UK lose its place on the UN security council, and out main claim to these oversized boots recently have relied on having nuclear weapons and being 'representatives' of Europe.

UK will not sink into ocean and magically cease to be just because Scotland announces indepence. Neither does UK disappear into ether because of Brexit. And those states with close economical, cultural and political ties with the UK have to have very, very convincing reasons to cut those ties in exchange for Scottish... gratitude?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

Sorry, serious gayord they removed the 100% reduction in council tax, that was taken from a the benefits calculator, and you forgot about water. Your total is £35.47 only £2.35 a week more than mine. Your hypothetical young man has £5 a day to live off and a utterly destroyed credit rating, good luck with that mortgage when you get back on your feet lad.

And your hypothetical young man doesn't actually exist, but whatever lightbulbs are too expensive am I right?

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Not to mention all the fines from the council for his constantly overflowing black bin

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It's too tempting, even for Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj2NXYEAEFY

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

why doesnt he just chop down a tree, make a crafting table and make his own lightbulbs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should put something good in the sandwich like crisps, prawns, or ham.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i'd be surprised if the possibility of another Scottish referendum ever becomes a constitutional question, it'll be about political will and how many people it'll piss off and whether it'll be a good look to piss them off much. I mainly remember the chat from the snp and the like being about asserting a moral right to have a referendum rather then a legal one.

OwlFancier posted:

because it is the little moments of decency in this world that make life remotely worth living, you bastard, let me have my cress

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

crisps are a pro move

OwlFancier posted:

You should put something good in the sandwich like crisps, prawns, or ham.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ratjaculation posted:

why doesnt he just chop down a tree, make a crafting table and make his own lightbulbs?

This is about as realistic as Learningcurves example case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

serious gaylord posted:

And your hypothetical young man doesn't actually exist, but whatever lightbulbs are too expensive am I right?

173,200 people aged 18-24 were claiming jsa or universal credits in march 2017, I'm not going to find out the exact number of them who were single 22 year old educated men living in a flat but let's take a leap of faith and assume there is one somewhere in the north of England. http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05871/SN05871.pdf

• Locked thread