Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh poo poo he IS playing Jeff K., isn't he?

Now that's all i'll be able to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From the get go that was all I could see. It's perfect in every way.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

White Rabbit posted:

So The World is meant to represent globalisation/NWO with his tech & media cronies

I think he represents the shadow government that a lot of people believe exist; the organisation which knows everything about everyone and controls the world. Since enough people believe it, there actually is an entity which knows everything about everyone and controls the world from the shadows. Hence why he's dressed like a cliche CIA spook.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Edit: Double post

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, something that I'm thoroughly enjoying about the performances is how the Gods absolutely cannot help but be overwhelmed by their portfolios. Monroe has to bring Mr. World "back" from the high of recalling the life of Shadow and his mother, and for a moment the illusion that he's a human disappears. At the same time she can't help but speak in quotes and put on an act. I feel like even if the act is planned and part of her plan, she's as much a slave from the need of putting the act as she is on control of her powers. While they're all drowning in their eccentricity, Wednesday is more collected and more "human" and has an experience that the others God don't. But even Wednesday can't help but follow his predetermined personality.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I just want to say that making the incarnation of the internet into a bratty privileged white kid who wears corn rows and can't understand why it looks bad to lynch a black guy is disturbingly timely and accurate.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gonz posted:

Oh poo poo he IS playing Jeff K., isn't he?

Now that's all i'll be able to see.

They based him off a perma-banned SA user.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

stereobreadsticks posted:

I just want to say that making the incarnation of the internet into a bratty privileged white kid who wears corn rows and can't understand why it looks bad to lynch a black guy is disturbingly timely and accurate.

Yeah I know a bunch of people were upset that he wasn't a pimply trench-coat wearing loser, but this Technical Boy is such an absolutely perfect personification of what the worst parts of the internet are now.

Everybody is just giving it their all for this show and it elevates the already fantastic visuals and atmosphere into something else. I love it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm still laughing about this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah I know a bunch of people were upset that he wasn't a pimply trench-coat wearing loser, but this Technical Boy is such an absolutely perfect personification of what the worst parts of the internet are now.

Everybody is just giving it their all for this show and it elevates the already fantastic visuals and atmosphere into something else. I love it.

Well when the book was realized the internet really had taken off yet and I laughed how the show updated Technical Boy to basically be a forum troll type personality.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gimme my coin dead wife

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

Also, something that I'm thoroughly enjoying about the performances is how the Gods absolutely cannot help but be overwhelmed by their portfolios. Monroe has to bring Mr. World "back" from the high of recalling the life of Shadow and his mother, and for a moment the illusion that he's a human disappears. At the same time she can't help but speak in quotes and put on an act. I feel like even if the act is planned and part of her plan, she's as much a slave from the need of putting the act as she is on control of her powers. While they're all drowning in their eccentricity, Wednesday is more collected and more "human" and has an experience that the others God don't. But even Wednesday can't help but follow his predetermined personality.

I like it. While the gods can serve their own interests they are ultimately beings created by humans for humans. Media especially in this regard is interesting because as you noted she can't help but harken back. Her heydey already came and went, she's associated with the dying medium of television and her symbols are all throwbacks because that's all humans still value of her. At some point she will fade from memory as Technical Boy takes her place. Mr World is similar, they're all based on current cultural phenomenons but what they lack is that missing link between phenomena and mythology. The old gods might be weaker, but they've all carved a mythological niche where either their myth (Anubis's first death) or symbols (Anubis's second death) will persist and thus preserve their value to at least a part of humanity. Media, World and Technical are, just like the Mammoth god at the start of the episode, products of their time and environment. Like all young gods before them they are stuck in a race to leave their mark on humanity, or be forgotten.

I'm kinda curious how the major world religions slot into all of this but considering that the Jesus's were already foreshadowed I guess we'll get there eventually.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Zaphod42 posted:

Episode has aired so we don't need spoiler bars now right?

You guys are entirely missing the point. Which, it was supposed to distract you at first, but notice later on Wednesday says "Merger? Sounds more like Exile to me"

Get it?

They're acting like they're being nice, giving Wednesday platitudes, but really they're trying to give him the boot. Make him an ex-American god in exchange for giving him a nice bootstrap somewhere else. It means they win, they control America and all its worship. He's not about to give that up, so it was never a serious offer of "merger".

They can't offer him documentaries because they do NOT want him getting more strength in America. They want him gone. The missile was basically like putting him on a boat to another country.

That's why I think the pitch may have worked if they brought him in as a partner, rather than trying to exile him. Mr. World could have easily pointed out that more people live in California than were on the whole earth when Wednesday first came about...more than enough to go around. :shrug:

except the Gods don't want to share

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That's why I think the pitch may have worked if they brought him in as a partner, rather than trying to exile him. Mr. World could have easily pointed out that more people live in California than were on the whole earth when Wednesday first came about...more than enough to go around. :shrug:

except the Gods don't want to share

Except the pitch wouldn't have worked for them. The entire point of the deal is to get Wednesday out of their hair, that doesn't work if he's getting belief from Americans.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

etalian posted:

Well when the book was realized the internet really had taken off yet and I laughed how the show updated Technical Boy to basically be a forum troll type personality.

Yeah in the book, Technical Boy is less "the Internet and smartphones" and more "general technology fetish", hence why he dresses like a Matrix character. Also, he was fat and ugly because back then only fat ugly nerds used the internet. Now he's skinny and ugly!

One wonders why Media is dying though - shouldn't she be high as gently caress on all that sweet 24/7 News Cycle poo poo? Or maybe there's a separate God of (Fake) News.

poo poo, now I want to see Gillian Anderson dressed as Anderson Cooper or Alex Jones.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think you're supposed to take Media as waning in power seeing as she effortlessly beats the poo poo out of the Technical Boy.

Also even without the deal Wednesday was unhappy with Mr World/the new Gods. He brings up how they different views on how to deal with the people who believe in them. Old Gods like Wednesday and Czernoborg have a give and take relationship with humanity. They take belief and sacrifices but they will give something back in return (like in the first episode where Odin gives the Vikings their wind) while the New Gods just take and take and take.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So what the heck was that plant thing in the police station at the end? It looked like a wood knothole turned into an eye, and then a root shot out of the eye and grew up through the lady cop. And then attacked Shadow. That doesn't seem thematic with Media, Tech Boy, or Mr. World, from what we've seen.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bobulus posted:

So what the heck was that plant thing in the police station at the end? It looked like a wood knothole turned into an eye, and then a root shot out of the eye and grew up through the lady cop. And then attacked Shadow. That doesn't seem thematic with Media, Tech Boy, or Mr. World, from what we've seen.

Yeah, trees are definitely a pagan mythical symbol. I couldn't make sense of it either.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bobulus posted:

No idea, i think that's going to be a "keep watching" moment.

I feel bad for that lady cop, she thought she thought she was going to learn some Cool and Weird poo poo and instead learned that gods and humans intersecting doesn't always turn out so well for mortals.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bobulus posted:

Probably one of Wednesday's old god allies helping to jailbreak them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

I don't think you're supposed to take Media as waning in power seeing as she effortlessly beats the poo poo out of the Technical Boy.

You could read it as Media being baby boomer while Technical Boy represents millennials. She might be more powerful at the moment but that's only until her believers quite literally die off. If her power was anything more than a fig-leaf of the past then the two media symbols put on display this episode wouldn't have been those of several generations past (who are incidentally both dead), they would have been of today. Remember, she didn't appear to Shadow through a smartphone, she had to wait until he passed an actual TV. Just like real-life traditional media she is a powerful but fading institution that is about to be upstaged by something she neither understands or respects.

muscles like this! posted:

They take belief and sacrifices but they will give something back in return (like in the first episode where Odin gives the Vikings their wind) while the New Gods just take and take and take.

Doesn't this apply to sex-eater as well who I just realized just mysteriously vanished after the first episodes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Anyone else like the intro?

A pretty artistic way to show the concept how the gods aren't invincible and depend on their believers to stay alive.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
Got my fingers crossed it's Yggdrasil the world tree, helping out his fellow Nordic god.

Plucky Brit posted:

I think he represents the shadow government that a lot of people believe exist; the organisation which knows everything about everyone and controls the world. Since enough people believe it, there actually is an entity which knows everything about everyone and controls the world from the shadows. Hence why he's dressed like a cliche CIA spook.

I like that too, totally dig that people are eager to believe in the all-knowing all-controlling Illuminati, but in a way Media + Technological fit better as subordinates to Globalization.

Thinking back on it that North Korea offer is loving vile, I'm totally on board with Mr. W now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mr World definitely seems like Globalization. He's too current to be capitalism but also too market-oriented in his speech to not be related to economics

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

White Rabbit posted:

Thinking back on it that North Korea offer is loving vile, I'm totally on board with Mr. W now.

Why you gotta read racism into everything? I mean, first hanging a black guy from a tree is racist, then casually offering to murder millions of Asian people purely as a go-away bribe is racist. Jeez, old gods are so politically correct these days.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Mr World definitely seems like Globalization. He's too current to be capitalism but also too market-oriented in his speech to not be related to economics

Well he has a lot of capitalism in his rhetoric, but it's a very specific type of post Cold War capitalism. You've got to wonder if Mr World is still an American god or if his reach has the potential to be truly global in a way none of the other Gods are. If so, if he represents the potential to transcend national boundaries and cultures and beliefs, it's no wonder the new gods respect him.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, and did I misinterpret that scene, or did Media imply that enough people were fooled by War of the Worlds that they actually Believed and now there's, like, an alien god out in space?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked how Media picks dead celebs to represent her, sort of shows why as a god she's also fading due to losing relevancy.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Genocyber posted:

Except the pitch wouldn't have worked for them. The entire point of the deal is to get Wednesday out of their hair, that doesn't work if he's getting belief from Americans.

I took that as he would get worship from Americans. Due to weapon fetishization and all that. The Koreans would be the blood sacrifice his worshippers make.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Well he has a lot of capitalism in his rhetoric, but it's a very specific type of post Cold War capitalism. You've got to wonder if Mr World is still an American god or if his reach has the potential to be truly global in a way none of the other Gods are. If so, if he represents the potential to transcend national boundaries and cultures and beliefs, it's no wonder the new gods respect him.

Well he's called Mr. World so I'm guessing he's more or less global - at least for first world countries. To an extent I would think so would Technical Boy and Media - though maybe there's Mexican and Japanese versions??

Bobulus posted:

Oh, and did I misinterpret that scene, or did Media imply that enough people were fooled by War of the Worlds that they actually Believed and now there's, like, an alien god out in space?

According to the show if there's enough belief, then gods are created. Not sure if there's still a Martian god out there but since there's still people that believe so, probably.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Laura sucks but every character who interacts with her brings out their best when they tell her how much she sucks so that's okay

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

etalian posted:

I liked how Media picks dead celebs to represent her, sort of shows why as a god she's also fading due to losing relevancy.

I don't see that she's fading. Did i miss something?

I think the anthropomorphic representations of the gods in this case are less clear cut than new media vs. old media. The idea of Media straddles many platforms and delivery systems including many of the new ones, which is why I think the technical boy is shown as being subservient to her.
He may be the new delivery system, but she still overlaps into his realm.

I think she's more the idea of narratives that capture attention in the place of outright worship. She appears as dead celebrities because their mythologized narratives are powerful in the popular imagination.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think every guy who watched the recent episode cringed at Mad Sweeny's police car escape mishap.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I was eagerly waiting to find out just how Mad Sweeney's bad luck was going to gently caress him over in that scene until oof, yep there it is.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It really needs a gif

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Media says there are aliens because people believed there were. Not that those aliens are Gods like she is, just that belief creates reality.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I didn't take Media showing up as who she's shown up as to mean she's fading. TV isn't fading in the least. There are a bajillion channels now days as well as poo poo like Netflix. People drop thousands on big flat screen TVs and entertainment systems. "Media" covers more than just TV as well.

Her showing up as Lucy, Marilyn and Bowie is just that they are iconic and immediately recognizable. It's smart from a show stand point too because multiple generations of watchers will recognize those characters. Not everyone would recognize if she showed up as Walter White, Jon Snow or Rick Grimes.

I love Laura. I sympathize with her because I went through a large stretch of apathy like she did. She recognizes she's a lovely person and being dead had made her more alive.

Also, I want Mad Sweeney in every episode forever.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

precision posted:

Media says there are aliens because people believed there were. Not that those aliens are Gods like she is, just that belief creates reality.

I think she implied she got high off of that. A ton of people tuned into that radio broadcast and collectively poo poo themselves giving her a big bump.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KilGrey posted:

I think she implied she got high off of that. A ton of people tuned into that radio broadcast and collectively poo poo themselves giving her a big bump.

Yeah but she also did say "now there are aliens out there because people believed there were"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

KilGrey posted:

precision posted:

Yeah but she also did say "now there are aliens out there because people believed there were"

Yeah, it's both. She was young and new when WotW happened, but it was her first big hit of belief. Similarly, she commented that now that people believe aliens are out there: they are!