Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Intruder posted:

Injury luck is a bitch?

We started 2-8 before the injuries started piling up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Some Numbers posted:

The I Word makes its home in your roster in Spring Training, as with every roster.

The pile-up is just the medical staff taking notice.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Some Numbers posted:

Smyly's been out all year. That plus SSS could account for things in those first 10 games. I still think they'll be decent if they get healthy, but the hole is awfully deep.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

Thanks everyone who came to the meetup, it was super fun. Especially watching Kevlar get angrier and angrier with each successive Dodger home run.

Yeah it was fun to meet everyone! I'm sure we'll do it again.

Wish I could have stuck around to watch the game. But instead I got a bunt single and scored a run off a former KBO league pitcher :smug:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

Yeah it was fun to meet everyone! I'm sure we'll do it again.

Wish I could have stuck around to watch the game. But instead I got a bunt single and scored a run off a former KBO league pitcher :smug:

never bunt.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

Thanks everyone who came to the meetup, it was super fun. Especially watching Kevlar get angrier and angrier with each successive Dodger home run.

My favorite part was when I spilled my drink. :cry:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
N: In ten starts, Zimmerman has only recorded two quality starts.

V: Should have stuck with Pelfry after all :suicide:

E: is Al Avila just remarkably unlucky or remarkably bad as a GM? Zimmerman, Pelfry, Lowe, K-Rod, Neftali Feliz... Everything he's touched either was poo poo or turned to poo poo. The King Midas of poo poo.

E2: between Sanchez, Zimmerman, Pelfry, Lowe, and K-Rod, Tigers are paying $53 million for poo poo tier pitching. The Brewers' opening day payroll was $63 million.

Comptroll The Forums fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 29, 2017

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Every year, there's a point where I find out that some team is still paying Mike Pelfrey to pitch.

This is it.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

iKickDogs posted:

Every year, there's a point where I find out that some team is still paying Mike Pelfrey to pitch for another team in their division.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

E: is Al Avila just remarkably unlucky or remarkably bad as a GM? Zimmerman, Pelfry, Lowe, K-Rod, Neftali Feliz... Everything he's touched either was poo poo or turned to poo poo. The King Midas of poo poo.

E2: between Sanchez, Zimmerman, Pelfry, Lowe, and K-Rod, Tigers are paying $53 million for poo poo tier pitching. The Brewers' opening day payroll was $63 million.

June is going to be super interesting because the Tigers are garbage and there's no Dombrowski around to spin poo poo into gold. If Avila can't get good returns for at least JD Martinez then oh boy are the Tigers going to suck for the next 3-4 seasons.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

K-Rod is so very bad

Holy mackerel

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
All right M's, enough joshing around. Where'd you hide the real pitchers?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My favorite part was when I spilled my drink. :cry:

At least you spilled it at the Cardinals fan, so the only loss was some beer.

Seriously, though, it was really cool to meet up with some Chicagoons. Hope we can do it again​ in the future sometime.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

shirts and skins posted:

The DL I think.

Also not enough people are reacting to my link of Sano nearly giving our pitching coach a heart attack

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

shirts and skins posted:

Bergman's almost real. Sort of.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Explosionface posted:

At least you spilled it at the Cardinals fan, so the only loss was some beer.

Seriously, though, it was really cool to meet up with some Chicagoons. Hope we can do it again​ in the future sometime.

There's the taco crawl in river north in August

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sanchez and K-Rod both had (reasonably) effective seasons for the Tigers before falling off a cliff and Zimmermann was a highly valued FA when they signed him, so I'd say the problem is more likely to be in the coaching staff rather than the front office - someone's made an adjustment which has hosed them up and now they can't unfuck themselves.

The Pelfrey signing is squarely on Avila though, he's always been terrible and I don't understand why any team would sign him unless they needed someone to get things off high shelves and couldn't find the stepladder.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The problem is probably more along the lines of 30 something pitchers with ok stuff tend to fall off cliffs.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The Brewers would also like to thank the Tigers for Pina and Hernan Perez.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I had to laugh during the Cubs game yesterday when they were talking about running into Scott Boras while in Los Angeles and how he went on this huge rant about how Jake Arrieta is still an elite pitcher.

Um, Scott, I know your job is to get the most value for your client, and you're very good at this, but his arm's been dead for the better part of a year.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hand Row posted:

The Brewers would also like to thank the Tigers for Pina and Hernan Perez.

Hernan Perez is a treasure.

K-rod has had declining velocity for seasons now and he had gotten by adjusting his approach to be more deceptive. Now his velocity has declined to the point where it's robbing his pitches if movement and he just can't fool people. He should retire.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cis autodrag posted:

K-rod has had declining velocity for seasons now and he had gotten by adjusting his approach to be more deceptive. Now his velocity has declined to the point where it's robbing his pitches if movement and he just can't fool people. He should retire.

Jesus, I had forgotten he's been in the majors for sixteen years. And yeah, I just took a glance at his peripherals since 2011, and holy poo poo, they range from "hey, that's still pretty good" to :stonk:

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Timby posted:

I had to laugh during the Cubs game yesterday when they were talking about running into Scott Boras while in Los Angeles and how he went on this huge rant about how Jake Arrieta is still an elite pitcher.

Um, Scott, I know your job is to get the most value for your client, and you're very good at this, but his arm's been dead for the better part of a year.

He's just upset his gamble to not sign a deal after 2015 has horribly backfired

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Meister posted:

He's just upset his gamble to not sign a deal after 2015 has horribly backfired

Arrieta was still saying in spring training this year that he fully expects to sign a seven-year deal, and I remember last year he was telling one reporter that "aces get seven years" and specifically pointing to Strasburg, and after the first two months of the season, all I can say is :lol:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Timby posted:

Arrieta was still saying in spring training this year that he fully expects to sign a seven-year deal, and I remember last year he was telling one reporter that "aces get seven years" and specifically pointing to Strasburg, and after the first two months of the season, all I can say is :lol:

Jake seems like he is very dumb outside of the narrow domain of throwing baseballs.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I mean if you're Arrieta what else are you supposed to say?

"Yeah I'm not as good as I was when I won the Cy Young so I guess I should only get a 3/60 deal."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

I mean if you're Arrieta what else are you supposed to say?

"Yeah I'm not as good as I was when I won the Cy Young so I guess I should only get a 3/60 deal."

Oh, I don't blame him for making those comments, and like I said, Boras is just doing his job, which is to get his clients as much money as possible (I continue to insist that Boras has been the biggest boon to players since Marvin Miller), I just have a hard time imagining any team being willing to fork out 7 / 210 for a guy who had one and a half great years and now is pitching worse than he ever did in Baltimore.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Alex Wood is the latest Dodgers SP to go on the DL with a Very Serious injury that will cause him to miss exactly one start.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Oh, I don't blame him for making those comments, and like I said, Boras is just doing his job, which is to get his clients as much money as possible (I continue to insist that Boras has been the biggest boon to players since Marvin Miller), I just have a hard time imagining any team being willing to fork out 7 / 210 for a guy who had one and a half great years and now is pitching worse than he ever did in Baltimore.

Arrieta is still better than he was with Baltimore. He had a solid season last year that only looked bad relative to 2015.

I still contend that Arrieta is a better pitcher than his current numbers, not 7/210 better. But he should do fine in FA.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Timby posted:

Arrieta was still saying in spring training this year that he fully expects to sign a seven-year deal, and I remember last year he was telling one reporter that "aces get seven years" and specifically pointing to Strasburg,

Dammit Al Avila, quit nodding in agreement and put Chris Illitch's checkbook away this instant <:mad:>

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Timby posted:

I guess last laugh is on us cause he will still get a bajillion dollars in free agency.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Der Meister posted:

I guess last laugh is on us cause he will still get a bajillion dollars in free agency.

Yep. Even if he continues to absolutely poo poo the bed for the rest of the season, some team is still going to take a gamble and sign him to big money on the hope he'll recapture his absurd 2015 form.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think the money per year will still be high but the length much shorter.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Arte will give him 5/100 and set the Angels back another 6+ years.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

still not too late to make an iconic Costacos Brothers Jake and the Fat Man poster with Kyle Schwarber

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
'Stros have scored 8 runs this inning and obliterated the Twins' 6 run lead :holymoley:

Astros good

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Big Mean Jerk posted:

'Stros have scored 8 runs this inning and obliterated the Twins' 6 run lead :holymoley:

Astros good

Now it's a 11 run inning :aaa:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Make that 11 runs, Minnesota is booing their own pitcher :laffo:

My man Beltran

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Alex Wood is the latest Dodgers SP to go on the DL with a Very Serious injury that will cause him to miss exactly one start.
This one is probably not bullshit

Wood has been the best starter on the team this year, and replacing him this week will be Ryu who is a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Make that 11 runs, Minnesota is booing their own pitcher :laffo:

My man Beltran

Contract the Twins.