Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I've decided I finally need a system after just using the TV's audio and I'm a little in the weeds for the speakers, mostly the subs but also the power ratings are messing with me. Going for a 3.1 system right now with a vague possibility of 5.1 in the future.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-530-K : says 140 watt @ 6 ohm

Sides: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR: 80 watts, can't find an ohm rating

Center: Pioneer SP-C22: 90 watts, again no ohm rating

I was looking at, of course, a matching Pioneer sub, but the input doesn't match the output on the receiver: specifically as far as I can tell, the receiver has a single output, but the sub's inputs are two channel? This seems universal and I might be just very dumb and not familiar with how all this works.

Also I think on the first page or so the matching sub was actually considered Not Great because it's an 8 inch. What would be a suitable 10 inch? It's a relatively large room in a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's normal for the subwoofer. You just plug into the left (I believe?) input.

But probably skip on the Pioneer sub. The speakers are good, but the sub isn't too hot. I have one. People here like the Polk PSW10, which looks to be a bit cheaper than the Pioneer.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I've decided I finally need a system after just using the TV's audio and I'm a little in the weeds for the speakers, mostly the subs but also the power ratings are messing with me. Going for a 3.1 system right now with a vague possibility of 5.1 in the future.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-530-K : says 140 watt @ 6 ohm

Sides: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR: 80 watts, can't find an ohm rating

Center: Pioneer SP-C22: 90 watts, again no ohm rating

I was looking at, of course, a matching Pioneer sub, but the input doesn't match the output on the receiver: specifically as far as I can tell, the receiver has a single output, but the sub's inputs are two channel? This seems universal and I might be just very dumb and not familiar with how all this works.

Also I think on the first page or so the matching sub was actually considered Not Great because it's an 8 inch. What would be a suitable 10 inch? It's a relatively large room in a house.

quote:

This 5.1-channel receiver delivers 140 watts per channel (1 kHz, 1.0% THD @ 6 Ohms, 1ch Driven FTC)

The part in parentheses is the important bit. They are putting a 1 kHz test tone (you will likely be listening to a full bandwidth 20-20k convolution of tones) at 6 ohms (slightly lower than the nominal impedance of most speakers, so it draws more power) at 1.0% THD (distorted and cruddy sounding). The actual power output in real listening situations will be considerably lower and unlikely to damage anything as long as you aren't beating the crap out of it.

On further investigation Pioneer lists those speakers as 6 ohms so they will run the amp a little harder than an 8 ohm speaker. However I would put money down that the amp will never be putting out more than 100W continuously per channel in real listening so don't fret too much - the combo will probably be fine. If you find yourself clipping the poo poo out of it, then it's time to upgrade. :v:

How big is this room? Even a 10 inch will probably struggle a little if it's that big/open floor plan.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

The part in parentheses is the important bit. They are putting a 1 kHz test tone (you will likely be listening to a full bandwidth 20-20k convolution of tones) at 6 ohms (slightly lower than the nominal impedance of most speakers, so it draws more power) at 1.0% THD (distorted and cruddy sounding). The actual power output in real listening situations will be considerably lower and unlikely to damage anything as long as you aren't beating the crap out of it.

On further investigation Pioneer lists those speakers as 6 ohms so they will run the amp a little harder than an 8 ohm speaker. However I would put money down that the amp will never be putting out more than 100W continuously per channel in real listening so don't fret too much - the combo will probably be fine. If you find yourself clipping the poo poo out of it, then it's time to upgrade. :v:

How big is this room? Even a 10 inch will probably struggle a little if it's that big/open floor plan.

Great, thanks, I'll keep those in the cart then.

The room is around 14x15 with a pretty high, sloping ceiling.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Great, thanks, I'll keep those in the cart then.

The room is around 14x15 with a pretty high, sloping ceiling.

A 10" will probably be OK unless you are looking for crazy SPL or extension. Unless your ceiling is like 20' high.

I envy your lack of parallel surfaces though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why do receivers still all have basic digital front displays? Like I mean I don't need anything like that old Kenwood car deck I had with a little graphic of a car that turned when I turned, but I'd like to see a fancier appearance beyond the old digital clock look

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

A 10" will probably be OK unless you are looking for crazy SPL or extension. Unless your ceiling is like 20' high.

I envy your lack of parallel surfaces though.

Sounds good. I need to figure out what a decent 10 inch is, then!

Endless Mike posted:

That's normal for the subwoofer. You just plug into the left (I believe?) input.

But probably skip on the Pioneer sub. The speakers are good, but the sub isn't too hot. I have one. People here like the Polk PSW10, which looks to be a bit cheaper than the Pioneer.

Saw this before, looking at it seriously now

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 24, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

codo27 posted:

Why do receivers still all have basic digital front displays? Like I mean I don't need anything like that old Kenwood car deck I had with a little graphic of a car that turned when I turned, but I'd like to see a fancier appearance beyond the old digital clock look

They don't. You're just too poor, plebe.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This. Plus a lot of people run the display defeated as they don't want the lights on their dark theater.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A lot of expensive gear still has shamefully awful displays.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sounds good. I need to figure out what a decent 10 inch is, then!

Saw this before, looking at it seriously now

Honestly, skip the PSW10, I replaced mine in less than a year. It's not a bad sub, I just think spending another 50 to 75 dollars to catch the PSW505 on sale is a 100000 times better decision. The PSW 10 was OK for anything about 40 to 45Hz, but I watch a lot of movies and it sounded like poo poo during a lot of them. The PSW505 gets the job done for me.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

qirex posted:

A lot of expensive gear still has shamefully awful displays.

Expensive stuff is likely living in a rack in a mechanical room out of sight.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not that stuff. It's audiophile gear, not actual pro gear.

It's like ricers vs actual race cars.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That Cyrus one looks like a cheap car stereo from the 90s

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

skipdogg posted:

Honestly, skip the PSW10, I replaced mine in less than a year. It's not a bad sub, I just think spending another 50 to 75 dollars to catch the PSW505 on sale is a 100000 times better decision. The PSW 10 was OK for anything about 40 to 45Hz, but I watch a lot of movies and it sounded like poo poo during a lot of them. The PSW505 gets the job done for me.

Seconding this as I did exactly the same thing. The PSW10 is fine for music but can't handle the low frequencies in a lot of movies.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That Cyrus one looks like a cheap car stereo from the 90s

The first time I saw one I legit thought it was a CB radio.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Fog Tripper posted:

I guess I could sell the NIB one as NIB and just use the floor model.

Do it! Sonos stuff does resale very good because they pretty much never go on sale.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Brain Issues posted:

Do it! Sonos stuff does resale very good because they pretty much never go on sale.

Yeah I pulled the trigger on it. Now to decide to keep the NIB or the demo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Do most receivers have an onscreen display when playing music, even if not via the TV? I remember my friends receiver did that and it was an annoying "feature" that you couldn't turn off. I like to often stream music throughout my home while I'm farting around so Spotify wifi streaming in the receiver via wifi is a must or at least really good Bluetooth.

I'm trying to convince myself to just deal with the lack of space and get a nice 3.1 setup. Seems soundbars often have more of those streaming features etc though, receivers seem more bare bones in that regard

I really don't get receiver pricing. It seems some of the $300-400 ones have all the same exact features as a $800 one. Though I guess it's not a huge deal if I'm not doing 5.1/7.1, which is I think where the price increase comes from. I set my mom up with a decent system years ago but I'm still quite oblivious to it all. I have a Samsung KS800 TV, Xbox one s, and a PS4 pro. So need 4k and HDR. Do receivers upscale to 4k? Is it poo poo? Have a wii-u and firestick.

Also I can't sleep and got stuck in the black hole of reading about home audio online. Y'all make this poo poo confusing as gently caress. After much googling, everything tells me I just need to buy this 😩

But my wallet and lack of space is saying no. Though most of the soundbars I was looking at were about that price. I don't need the rears, but might be able to jury rig something in the future

Help 😭😭

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 26, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ sell on the rears orrrrrr put them to use in another room.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Is there a seamless way to say, have one rear in two separate rooms, then use whatever app to only play in said room + sub, for example? Something intuitive?

-edit wait poo poo I'd have to run wires everywhere. Is this possible with a receive and wifi speakers?

Being the holiday I'm sure we'll see lots of sales, but I did see this one:

Marantz NR1607 Ultra HD 7.2 Channel Network A/V Surround Receiver with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi $500 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHWFCRM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_c0bkzbQJJD37D

Someone pointed out that 50w per channel is really underpowered. Sure I'd be fine though

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Do most receivers have an onscreen display when playing music, even if not via the TV? I remember my friends receiver did that and it was an annoying "feature" that you couldn't turn off. I like to often stream music throughout my home while I'm farting around so Spotify wifi streaming in the receiver via wifi is a must or at least really good Bluetooth.

I'm trying to convince myself to just deal with the lack of space and get a nice 3.1 setup. Seems soundbars often have more of those streaming features etc though, receivers seem more bare bones in that regard

I really don't get receiver pricing. It seems some of the $300-400 ones have all the same exact features as a $800 one. Though I guess it's not a huge deal if I'm not doing 5.1/7.1, which is I think where the price increase comes from. I set my mom up with a decent system years ago but I'm still quite oblivious to it all. I have a Samsung KS800 TV, Xbox one s, and a PS4 pro. So need 4k and HDR. Do receivers upscale to 4k? Is it poo poo? Have a wii-u and firestick.

Also I can't sleep and got stuck in the black hole of reading about home audio online. Y'all make this poo poo confusing as gently caress. After much googling, everything tells me I just need to buy this 😩

But my wallet and lack of space is saying no. Though most of the soundbars I was looking at were about that price. I don't need the rears, but might be able to jury rig something in the future

Help 😭😭

This is why I always recommend just listening to a few things and buying what seems best in your budget. You know, if you live near one of three places in the country with a decent showroom where you can do that. :\

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
A post above reminded me to post a PSA.

If you have a 4k source and display, many lower-end receivers may not give you an onscreen display overlaid on a 4k source signal. I found out that I can't have the "volume bar" or mute indicator for my receiver's audio or the OSD for setup overlaid on a 4k signal, and would have to pay like $600 for a receiver that does 4k overlay. The volume thing is the annoying part since my receiver is tucked out of sight, where you cannot tell (except via iOS app) where the volume is set or whether it's muted when watching a 4k signal. Less obtrusive is the fact that if you want to use the OSD, there's a 1-2 second delay when you pop up the receiver OSD as it switches away from your 4k source to a black screen with the OSD content, then another 1-2 seconds as it switches back.

Just something to be looking for or expecting as you buy receivers. I assume this will all be quickly overcome by events in the next year or so.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

-edit nvm

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 27, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Been reading a lot about the Sonos playbar vs Bose sound touch 300

I've read a lot about the details and features. If you personally had to pick one of the above options coupled with the sub, which and why?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I haven't used all of them but from what I've read Sonos probably sounds a little better, still has far and away the best software for music and is the easiest to set up. I have a couple Sonos in my place and I like them a lot. The Bose has HDMI and comes with a remote; it seems odd for the Sonos to not include even one for just volume control. I'm not really a fan of Bose [or soundbars for that matter] so I might not be the best person to ask though. For that amount of money you could get some serious performance out of regular gear.

eames
May 9, 2009

I have a pair of B&W CM9 connected to a Denon AVR2309, both relics from years ago when I was interested in HiFi/AV and watched TV/Movies on my Plasma. Those days are over and the TV is already gone. The speakers sound really nice but are definitely oversized for my apartment.

I just want something that turns on from my iPhone, plays Spotify, sounds good and generally works without having to use a Harmony remote. I have two Sonos Play:1 and quite like them, should I buy a Sonos Connect:Amp for the CM9s or am I better off selling the B&W speakers to replace them with Sonos gear?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

qirex posted:

I haven't used all of them but from what I've read Sonos probably sounds a little better, still has far and away the best software for music and is the easiest to set up. I have a couple Sonos in my place and I like them a lot. The Bose has HDMI and comes with a remote; it seems odd for the Sonos to not include even one for just volume control. I'm not really a fan of Bose [or soundbars for that matter] so I might not be the best person to ask though. For that amount of money you could get some serious performance out of regular gear.

I spent hours on google/reddit/etc last night.

Conclusions I came to, in case anyone cares. And yes, to reiterate and preface, a traditional set-up is a much better bang for your buck.

- same price. $700 sub and soundbar sold separate
- Both have optional speakers for a whole house set-up, zone control, etc
- Sonos speakers can be used as rears, or in another room. The bose has designated tiny rear speakers that are pretty much poo poo from what I've read. So if you want 5.1, Sonos
- Sonos has a much more intuitive and seamless app/set-up
- Some people have issues with whole house sonos and the wifi, etc. Definitely didn't seem to be commplace, so who knows if they just have cement walls, a $20 router, or what.
- Sonos sub is much more clear and less about shaking windows, arguably better
- Both have $40 wall-mount brackets that are almost required if you want to wall-mount (there are other options, sure)
- Sonos is bare bones. No HDMI, thus, no ARC. No bluetooth. Optical only pretty much. Which is fine these days since most all TVs these days handle all that HDMI switching/optical/whatever great
- Both sound good, definitely different? Sonos is better for music?
- Bose has better aesthetics, arguably?
- Bose is newer and thus might do whatever DTS poo poo better depending on your device (I don't know anything about 5.1 etc and BTS, etc etc). Bose also has some newer hardware changes? Something to do with the bass I think? Which, if you use a sub, is moot

More specific things that applied to my situation:
- Both support spotify connect and almost every other internet streaming (reading about some issues with the Sonos though?)
- Sonos supports apple music via the app, bose doesn't at all--you'd have to use bluetooth
- Sonos might get alexa support? I read a lot of various information about future alexa/siri for both

Probably a lot more that I'll think of in 15 minutes. So yeah, seems Sonos is the best bet if you don't need the extra features of the bose

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Is a traditional receiver/hard wired speakers not an option?

Almost certainly better sound quality and future expandability if you decide to go full on home theater.

Downside would be aesthetics potentially if you are tied to having it co located with TV. If you can wire to a hidden closet or room and use ir repeater or harmony hub for control, that cures that issue.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

No. Sorry, don't mean to be a oval office. But every time someone mentions soundbar on SA that person is dogpiled into oblivion about a traditional setup and it grows tiring. Not saying that's happening here. I get many are just simple consumers caught up in the marketing. As for me, I understand the benefits, and when I have a place that isn't the size of a shoebox I'll look into a 5.1 proper.

On that note, do receivers do the whole house setup well? From what I've read, the Sonos is top notch when it comes to having the same or different poo poo playing in multiple rooms, multiple separate speaker options, etc

Anyways buying a used Sonos sub/bar pair so YOLO. Anyone have one mounted? That and the bose have $40 proprietary mounting brackets. Not sure if I'll get some sort of shelf or just two bars that stick out to support it

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 28, 2017

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

any recommended sound cards/dacs? it'd be going from my pc to a marantz 2270.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do you hear buzzing or nose from your computer without the dac?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

no. just wanted to upgrade my system. i had an old musicstreamer that worked well enough and definitely improved the sound a bit. was just wondering what else is out there. right now i'm running straight out of the headphone jack on my tower.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I've been happily using an SMSL sanskrit for awhile now. Not too expensive, uses external power (had issues with power output of my USB ports with my previous dac), and supports all the pointlessly high sample rates you could hope for.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Schiit makes a number of DACs ranging from cheap on up. I can't remember which one I have but I like it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

no. just wanted to upgrade my system. i had an old musicstreamer that worked well enough and definitely improved the sound a bit. was just wondering what else is out there. right now i'm running straight out of the headphone jack on my tower.

You probably don't want to hear this but unless there is something obviously wrong with the audio coming out of your system (pops and crackles, interference from other components), a DAC will not measurably improve anything beyond the placebo effect. You're better off spending that money on a couple acoustic panels for your walls or something.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

KillHour posted:

You're better off spending that money on a couple acoustic panels for your walls or something.

Are the wood framed bales of rockwool still a super cheap way to do this effectively?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Unless physics changed substantially since then, probably.

I've never tried it though.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KillHour posted:

You probably don't want to hear this but unless there is something obviously wrong with the audio coming out of your system (pops and crackles, interference from other components), a DAC will not measurably improve anything beyond the placebo effect. You're better off spending that money on a couple acoustic panels for your walls or something.
i paid $40 or some such nonsense for a upgraded DAC circuit for my OG Schiit Bifrost and i felt like a sucker when i fired it up to uh... no change. it's the last time i fall for audiophile nonsense. then again, i'm probably a big idiot for still using toslink in TYOOL 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I've skimmed through the last few pages and it seems like Denon is pretty well regarded. Is the AVR-S510BT a decent amp to start with? Looking to do 3.1 for now, maybe 5.1 in the future, but I have a pretty small space.

Or should I just bite the bullet and spend another $200 for the x1300w?

I'm in Canada so my options are pretty limited.

E: Would both of those be able to handle a set of KEF Q100s and a Q200? They are on sale right now cheaper then the Elac models.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 30, 2017