Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

"Oh, this doesn't look good. It has to be at least 300 feet to the front door!"

Yeah, Rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

seiferguy posted:

Thanks! Was the content that someone mailed this to MLK with this note? I thought it was a letter to the editor but it doesn't seem like it.

I'm not sure. I've seen that picture before, but only in the context of refuting people who try to use MLK to bash BLM.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Prism posted:

I saw a guy wearing a Make America Great Again hat on the bus the week Trump won election (in central Alberta), so yeah, you can't help some people.

I've seen my share of stars and bars vanity plates on rig rockets around town, just east of Calgary. Granted, Alberta does have the highest expat population iirc

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Yeah, there's a hefty fuckin' free. :911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzW2ybYFboQ

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Mewnie posted:

I've seen my share of stars and bars vanity plates on rig rockets around town, just east of Calgary. Granted, Alberta does have the highest expat population iirc

Also a giant population of massive idiots.

I hate this city

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mewnie posted:

It's that oil money, thank god it all burnt down

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

skeleton warrior posted:

Herbert Block, (1909 - 2001)
This is a great post. And this is a good book:

Got my copy for twenty-five cents used at a Barnes and Noble about a year ago. You can probably grab it for one penny plus 3.99 shipping on Amazon.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I chuckled at a Rall. Of course, that "Spicer" doesn't look remotely like the actual item.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

seiferguy posted:

I know cursive but I can't understand what the hell the person is saying with that handwriting.

How can you, a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ, be such a deceitful hypocrite? You're not fooling anyone but yourself in your nauseating talk about non-violence. You demand a program to overcome poverty and "blow in" untold amount in your high living and running all over the world to feed your own egotism.

I'm not entirely sure about "blow-in" and "amount", though.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

D.N. Nation posted:

I chuckled at a Rall. Of course, that "Spicer" doesn't look remotely like the actual item.

Wait, that's supposed to be SPICER?!

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

D.N. Nation posted:

I legit thought that was supposed to be Trump.
Took me a couple seconds.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

While I admire your courage in closely examining Rall's cartoon, I'm worried about the effect it might have on your mental well being.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Scaramouche posted:

Is there anyone more influential on the form than Herblock? Nast?

Probably Nast. We wouldn't have elephants and donkeys without him.

D.N. Nation posted:

Yeah, I liked this one. Not for the art, of course, but it's a decent joke and doesn't have the juvenile "but Democrats also..." that I'm used to.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Not even Ted Rall can pull a BUT DEMOCRATS as easily these days. Maybe he'll demonize Hillary just to remember what it was like before Trump, but even he can't fight reality that much when the biggest thing that is in the way of his grand revolution is spelled G.O.P.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

How can you, a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ, be such a deceitful hypocrite? You're not fooling anyone but yourself in your nauseating talk about non-violence. You demand a program to overcome poverty and "blow in" untold amount in your high living and running all over the world to feed your own egotism.

I'm not entirely sure about "blow-in" and "amount", though.

I think it says "flow in." (Someone on the last page said that also but it may have gotten lost)

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Lucy Bellwood and Sarah Mirk on what Wonder Woman means.

This is a pretty rosy picture of Marston and Wonder Woman's origins. Marston was a creep and a huckster whose other great claim to fame was inventing a "lie detector" that later got supplanted by the polygraph and helped legitimize the idea that you could accurately detect deceit through bullshit like heart rate. That idea, the inspiration for Wonder Woman's lasso, has perverted our justice systems for generations and put thousands of innocent people in jail. Most of his other contributions to psychology were similarly dubious and, in most cases, long discredited.

Marston's polyamorous relationship is also a lot less inspiring than they present it as. He was essentially a secret bigamist, but what they don't say is one woman, the lawyer, got to be his official wife and have her children acknowledged, while the other was just "the housekeeper" -- a poor single mother they took in -- and even her children didn't know they were living with their biological father all along. You can blame a lot of this on "society" but the power dynamic is still pretty unsettling.

Also, Marston's attitude toward women may be feminist, but it's also weird. He put his amazons on a mile high pedastal and seemed to genuinely think society would be better if men were subordinate to women or just absent entirely. The constant bondage and coded lesbianism really does feel like he's inserting his sexual kinks into a children's comic. He fetishised strong, gorgeous, dominant, assertive, liberated, sensitive, morally perfect, pin-up ready women in a way that completely divorces them from normal female humans and exalted an idealized femininity that's​ every bit as sexist as the passive, submissive gender norms he was fighting.

Wonder Woman is amazing and groundbreaking, but Marston was still an rear end and doesn't deserve to be lionized the way he has been.

As an aside, I feel like the nib is very hit and miss. There some good art and cogent points, but this is one of several pieces that have felt poorly researched and devoid of nuance. I'm starting to find the whole site annoying.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Trogdos! posted:

and here's his new cartoon hot off the press

Kurtofan posted:

ah yes opposite of reality

like seriously, this is ridiculous even for Garrison.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Sir Tonk posted:

like seriously, this is ridiculous even for Garrison.

It's Macron's broken hand that really makes this one. "No! Trump didn't lose the handshake! Macron let go first and his fingers were broken and he was crying because he's such a wimp and Trump is so big and manly! Everything that makes Trump look bad is a lie and I'll stick my fingers in my ears and scream until I'm right!"

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Crabtree posted:

Not even Ted Rall can pull a BUT DEMOCRATS as easily these days. Maybe he'll demonize Hillary just to remember what it was like before Trump, but even he can't fight reality that much when the biggest thing that is in the way of his grand revolution is spelled G.O.P.

That's ok he'll demonize her again when she runs in 2020... oh god she's gonna do it :negative:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Spiffster posted:

That's ok he'll demonize her again when she runs in 2020... oh god she's gonna do it :negative:
She'd absolutely lose the primary. Like, I wouldn't put entirely out of the realm of possibility that the DNC/voters would be incompetent enough to put her up again, but you don't win a presidential campaign by having a candidate who has already lost once to their opponent.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Duckbag posted:

This is a pretty rosy picture of Marston and Wonder Woman's origins. Marston was a creep and a huckster whose other great claim to fame was inventing a "lie detector" that later got supplanted by the polygraph and helped legitimize the idea that you could accurately detect deceit through bullshit like heart rate. That idea, the inspiration for Wonder Woman's lasso, has perverted our justice systems for generations and put thousands of innocent people in jail. Most of his other contributions to psychology were similarly dubious and, in most cases, long discredited.

Marston's polyamorous relationship is also a lot less inspiring than they present it as. He was essentially a secret bigamist, but what they don't say is one woman, the lawyer, got to be his official wife and have her children acknowledged, while the other was just "the housekeeper" -- a poor single mother they took in -- and even her children didn't know they were living with their biological father all along. You can blame a lot of this on "society" but the power dynamic is still pretty unsettling.

Also, Marston's attitude toward women may be feminist, but it's also weird. He put his amazons on a mile high pedastal and seemed to genuinely think society would be better if men were subordinate to women or just absent entirely. The constant bondage and coded lesbianism really does feel like he's inserting his sexual kinks into a children's comic. He fetishised strong, gorgeous, dominant, assertive, liberated, sensitive, morally perfect, pin-up ready women in a way that completely divorces them from normal female humans and exalted an idealized femininity that's​ every bit as sexist as the passive, submissive gender norms he was fighting.

Wonder Woman is amazing and groundbreaking, but Marston was still an rear end and doesn't deserve to be lionized the way he has been.

As an aside, I feel like the nib is very hit and miss. There some good art and cogent points, but this is one of several pieces that have felt poorly researched and devoid of nuance. I'm starting to find the whole site annoying.

He sounds like Paul Feig

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pants Donkey posted:

She'd absolutely lose the primary. Like, I wouldn't put entirely out of the realm of possibility that the DNC/voters would be incompetent enough to put her up again, but you don't win a presidential campaign by having a candidate who has already lost once to their opponent.

Nixon pulled it off.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Nixon pulled it off.

Andrew Jackson as well...

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, it was brazen of them to try again after she lost to Obama and they'd be complete fools to go for round three. Of course, granted a lot of them are complete fools, but I think Clinton herself is probably to wise/weary to run again. Presidential campaigns are loving nightmares and I'm not sure she'll have any interest in stepping back into the meat grinder when she's Bernie's age.

More likely, next primary will be something of a proxy war between the Clintonites and the Berniecrats with people like Warren and Booker taking the mantle from the septuagenarians.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The reason she won't run again is because she lost to what should've been, by all conventional wisdom, the easiest candidate to defeat in the history of presidential elections.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pants Donkey posted:

That is literally the only way anyone has ever beaten someone who lost the popular vote.

Lurdiak posted:

The reason she won't run again is because she lost to what should've been, by all conventional wisdom, the easiest candidate to defeat in the history of presidential elections.

In an election Russia wasn't rigging, yeah, but what does that have to do with anything?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 30, 2017

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Pants Donkey posted:

Yep! Sweeping the primary will be a breeze for Mark Zuckerberg :)

:smithicide:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Lol if Zuck runs as a democrat, he'll just be another in a long line of inexperienced rich white guys who get crushed. You can run against the left wing, labor, or the civil rights/identity/populist bloc, but not all three.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Nixon pulled it off.

Spiffster posted:

Andrew Jackson as well...
We're talking modern politics here. Nixon predates the internet and 24 hour news cycles. We're in a very different environment that makes it harder to get a second chance.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Nixon won because the sixties were insane, Vietnam and Civil Rights broke the Democratic base, RFK died suddenly, and Humphrey was a really bad candidate. The Southern strategy​ and the hardhat vs. hippies dynamic only worked because the democrats were so dysfunctional that it alienated moderates. Something like that could absolutely happen in this era (and may be happening to the Republicans now), but Nixon had also chosen not to run in '64 and thus had been out of the limelight for a while. Clinton running four years after an embarrassing defeat would be very different.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, it was brazen of them to try again after she lost to Obama and they'd be complete fools to go for round three. Of course, granted a lot of them are complete fools, but I think Clinton herself is probably to wise/weary to run again. Presidential campaigns are loving nightmares and I'm not sure she'll have any interest in stepping back into the meat grinder when she's Bernie's age.

More likely, next primary will be something of a proxy war between the Clintonites and the Berniecrats with people like Warren and Booker taking the mantle from the septuagenarians.

Warren will be a septuagenarian in 2020.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Really? Huh, I thought she was a little younger than that. I knew she and Clinton were the same generation, but I didn't realize they were only two years apart. I should have known. The weird Boomer gerontocracy in modern politics is really obvious if you look for it. Trump, Biden, Gore, the Clintons, Sanders, W, Perry, Kerry, Romney, and Warren were all born between 1941 and 1950. Jeb! was born in '53, so no wonder he lost.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 30, 2017

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

:eyepop: that's pretty fuckin ballsy to publish in a newspaper.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I have to respect how utterly lazy this is. It goes beyond the call of duty.

quote:

drat. That's solid.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Stantis literally already did this.

Kurtofan