Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My cousin recently had a daughter. She named her Fall.
I asked why, and she said because her favourite season is fall. I asked "Why not Autumn then?" and she rolled her eyes and told me that so many girls are named Autumn, but never Fall. Yeah, there's probably a good reason for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

quote:

If Daring Fireball looks goofy in your browser, you’re likely using a lovely browser that doesn’t support web standards. Internet Explorer, I’m looking in your direction. If you complain about this, I will laugh at you, because I do not care. If, however, you are using a modern, standards-compliant browser and have trouble viewing or reading Daring Fireball, please do let me know.

This guy sounds like a prick.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yo rear end is grass posted:

My cousin recently had a daughter. She named her Fall.
I asked why, and she said because her favourite season is fall. I asked "Why not Autumn then?" and she rolled her eyes and told me that so many girls are named Autumn, but never Fall. Yeah, there's probably a good reason for that.

Are you legally expected to name your kid? I think it'd be hilarious if you just let your kid grow up to name themselves whatever they wanted

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

ArtIsResistance posted:

I can't believe goons are complaining about bringing children to Disney world...

Why would you take a newborn to Disney World? If it's wrong to question that, then fine, I'm wrong.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Other than responses triggered by being annoyed, he is also kind of fun to dump on when he says ridiculous poo poo like "I don't understand how anyone can enjoy a sunset". He's so consistent in not getting so many basic human experiences that I'm convinced it's genuine.

That's a good one. Another Greatest Hits is when he didn't understand why people like going on vacations.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Are you legally expected to name your kid? I think it'd be hilarious if you just let your kid grow up to name themselves whatever they wanted

Hi, this is my boy Temp, and my daughter who is also Temp. My oldest kid, Godzilla Cowboy, is still at school.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Aesop Poprock posted:

There's nothing stopping you from changing your own name if you're an adult is there? Problem is, you're probably going to pick something incredibly dumb unless you wait until 30 or something and by then whatever placeholder name you have has already long since stuck.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Grevling posted:

Problem is, you're probably going to pick something incredibly dumb unless you wait until 30 or something and by then whatever placeholder name you have has already long since stuck.

I think that kids calling themselves 'Ric Flair Smith' or 'Captain America Jones' is still less dumb than 'L'Mikhael' and 'Aytymmmm'

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bean_shadow posted:

Why would you take a newborn to Disney World? If it's wrong to question that, then fine, I'm wrong.

I don't have a kid, but my sister has a 7 month old and as a family it's fun to bring her places and see her reactions to things if we're out together. Disney world would be utterly exhausting for a baby but I understand the sentiment behind it. My parents brought me to Disney world when I was 1 and the pictures from that are the only ones I have of me and my great grandparents who died before I could remember them

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Welp thanks for making me realize that a whole lot of people are probably going to name their daughters Eleven because of Stranger Things.

Named my kid eleven because they were conceived to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZa4yre0uEk

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Named my kid eleven because they were conceived to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZa4yre0uEk

WHAT THE gently caress DID I JUST WATCH

IS THIS HOW TIGGUM AND MISTERBIBS FEEL, TO BE COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY BAFFLED BY RECEIVED DATA

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

My Lovely Horse posted:

Welp thanks for making me realize that a whole lot of people are probably going to name their daughters Eleven because of Stranger Things.

Imagine all the "hey guys why aren't we having this wedding at 7-11" jokes they would have to endure if the two of them ended up getting together.

Anyway at least eleven could be shortened to something that sounds like a normal name. Seven has no options besides "sev", which from personal experience just makes people ask if they are russian. I suggested just going by Sven but they didn't like that, probably too ~common~.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I once worked with a girl named Jeopardy. Her childhood must have been great.

I know a Mormon couple who named their kid Sean. I was actually surprised it wasn't a more Biblical name.

Little thing: there are dozens of parking places and the car pulls in RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. Because walking another 10 feet would have been insanely hard!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know a Mormon couple who named their kid Sean. I was actually surprised it wasn't a more Biblical name.

Sean/Shane/Sion are variations of John. :ssh:

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Sending a message spread throughout several rapid-fire text messages is the worst thing about some of my friends. I understand sending a quick follow-up to fix a typo or add a sudden thought, but some of these people send 5 or 6 in less than two minutes. Just make one or two multi-sentence texts!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I once worked with a girl named Jeopardy. Her childhood must have been great.

Why isn't Malcom in class Julia?

I'm afraid he's currently in Jeopardy!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm afraid he's currently in Jeopardy!

Sorry, can't give you the points for that. You have to phrase it as a question.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Jeopardy also worked retail. I don't understand why she didn't just change her name, or at least the namebadge.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

bean_shadow posted:

Another Greatest Hits is when he didn't understand why people like going on vacations.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

he says ridiculous poo poo like "I don't understand how anyone can enjoy a sunset". He's so consistent in not getting so many basic human experiences that I'm convinced it's genuine.

:same:

Also, do you guys have a link to either/both of these?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are in the pet peeve thread, not this one, which is basically the same thread.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think of the pet peeve thread as reasonable things and this thread for the poo poo that you know shouldn't bother you, but makes you froth at the mouth anyways.

Like when I'm working and someone pays for their stuff and instead of handing me the money, they set it on the counter like they're afraid to touch the hands of someone who works in a gas station. Oh, no! I could be carrying Ebola or hand-herpes! Never mind how loving filthy that money really is, the guy behind the counter is a poor!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't have a kid, but my sister has a 7 month old and as a family it's fun to bring her places and see her reactions to things if we're out together. Disney world would be utterly exhausting for a baby but I understand the sentiment behind it. My parents brought me to Disney world when I was 1 and the pictures from that are the only ones I have of me and my great grandparents who died before I could remember them

We have a booth at many festivals and renfaires and such. I understand wanting to bring the babby, maybe for pictures like you said, or just to get out of the house for a bit and get the kid some air. But jfc, if you're going to take a little babby, make sure it has a hat or some kind of shade. It drives me crazy to see moms chatting while the little guy helplessly roasts away.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

between the car alarm going off outside our window an hour ago and the people next to us running their bath for ten minutes straight at 1:25 in the morning, I'm wide awake now, and really angry! and their kid is stomping around too!!! aaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The Snoo posted:

between the car alarm going off outside our window an hour ago and the people next to us running their bath for ten minutes straight at 1:25 in the morning, I'm wide awake now, and really angry! and their kid is stomping around too!!! aaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Maybe you should move to a secluded cabin on a mountain, because drat

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

fun fact: they ran the bath again at 2:15am I want to cry

I'm on my phone so idk if I mentioned it before but apparently they do their laundry in the bathtub and they run the bath all day every day and no offense but 2 in the morning is a bit ridiculous

e: and again at 3:05am. what the gently caress

e2: and again at 3:15 lol okay that's enough

snoo has a new favorite as of 08:24 on Jun 1, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Honestly this is so tempting every day of my life. I wouldn't even need a cabin, just a cave would suffice. I even know a few, but hikers might get mad when I shoo them off with my incoherent gibberish.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

but I like being across the street from taco bell :qq:

I've learned to deal with a lot of obnoxious noises, and it's not their fault the plumbing is so loud, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that 6am and also now 1-3am are not really cool times to be doing this poo poo

e: I got a whole two hours of sleep before they started up again a little after 6am!!!

snoo has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Jun 1, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Khazar-khum posted:

We have a booth at many festivals and renfaires and such. I understand wanting to bring the babby, maybe for pictures like you said, or just to get out of the house for a bit and get the kid some air. But jfc, if you're going to take a little babby, make sure it has a hat or some kind of shade. It drives me crazy to see moms chatting while the little guy helplessly roasts away.

I had a big goofy floppy safari hat on

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

The Snoo posted:

but I like being across the street from taco bell :qq:

I've learned to deal with a lot of obnoxious noises, and it's not their fault the plumbing is so loud, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that 6am and also now 1-3am are not really cool times to be doing this poo poo

e: I got a whole two hours of sleep before they started up again a little after 6am!!!

Snoo -- dunno if you might find one helpful, but when I lived in a noisy set of apartments, a white noise machine was a lifesaver for me. I have a small one now that I take with me when I travel -- it doesn't actually take much volume off the machine at all to block out so many different types of noise.

eta -- it won't block the sound of your alarm clock, as wearing earplugs might.

'White noise machine' on Amazon should bring up a variety of machines at different prices.

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Jun 1, 2017

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Can vouch for white noise machines. They work like a charm and also help stop my problem with nightmares.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I always just sleep with a fan on. White noise plus the bonus of some airflow

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
But everyone knows that that the leading cause of death! ...in Korean folklore... Still, be careful!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Re: plumbingchat, my neighbors are pretty cool and i'm fine with a slightly noisy neighborhood (the windows are pretty solid when they're closed), but the plumbing is loud in our place too. It usually doesn't bother me, but yesterday I could literally hear my upstairs neighbor peeing, and that was really weird.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The only loud thing in my apartment is my boiler - it clicks all the time even when not being used, but it's quiet enough the neighbours can't hear it and I can keep the noise contained by closing all the doors.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mu Zeta posted:

They are in the pet peeve thread, not this one, which is basically the same thread.

Leavemywife posted:

I think of the pet peeve thread as reasonable things and this thread for the poo poo that you know shouldn't bother you, but makes you froth at the mouth anyways.

I think of this thread as more specifically interpersonal grievances, and the pet peeves one more as just stuff that happens that annoys you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TBH I just wasn't aware of the pet peeve thread and people seem to be enjoying this one so I left it open :v:

I like to think this one is for specifically petty stuff.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Sociopastry posted:

Can vouch for white noise machines. They work like a charm and also help stop my problem with nightmares.

For a couple months I was living at a place that had roosters crowing near my window, and they went all night because there were foxes in the area. Also no glass on the windows, just a screen. I got an app that played white noise on my phone and slept with earbuds in. They stayed in surprisingly well and managed to drown out the idiot roosters so I could finally sleep.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

veni veni veni posted:

I always just sleep with a fan on. White noise plus the bonus of some airflow

I used to do this but ever since someone tried to break in to my apartment and I almost didn't notice it because of the white noise I can never sleep comfortably in anything but 100% silence anymore.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

For a couple months I was living at a place that had roosters crowing near my window, and they went all night because there were foxes in the area. Also no glass on the windows, just a screen. I got an app that played white noise on my phone and slept with earbuds in. They stayed in surprisingly well and managed to drown out the idiot roosters so I could finally sleep.

Life hack: Kill and eat the roosters. Or the foxes. Both.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I was honestly tempted to volunteer for chicken killing duty and "accidentally" serve up the roosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Time to complain about my boyfriend's friends. His weird friend is getting worse I think. He walks around with his hair super dirty and greasy, in a mullet with bald patches, tangled in two rat's nests at the front and back of his head. It's almost painful to look at him, I actually try to avoid seeing him out of the corner of my eye because it depresses me. He reminds me of the two people I knew while they were dying.

His brother bought him a brush, which he said he used but I didn't see any difference. And seemed awkward/offended when I offered to pay for him to get a haircut with me next time I go. He is a disgusting oversharer and makes random statements that are impossible to respond to, like "My brother bought me an ashtray!" or "I made my bed this morning."

And yet he talks about hookups with attractive women, and people (who were obviously bots) on adultfriendfinder calling him hot. If he fixed his mental problems, stopped blurting out random things, and practiced basic hygiene I'm sure he could date a girl who doesn't care about looks, but no one anywhere ever would call him hot.

He hit on one of our friends the other day, a girl who is insanely picky about men, and tried to give her a neck massage. Yeah.

Lots of times I've found that people with the lowest self-esteem can act weirdly overconfident. The friend he hit on is constantly going on online dates and then coming over and relentlessly making GBS threads on the guys she meets, many of whom are indeed total losers, but she can be incredibly judgemental.

She is 35 and has never moved out of her parents' house. She has never worked much, and she's about to stop working again. She should probably be on disability though because she has chronic pain and symptoms of psychosis. One of her psych meds has given her tardive dyskinesia, so she has a pronounced twitch. She is very uneducated and gullible (thought fake documentary about mermaids was real). Yet she expects to date, like, a hot doctor.

She thought it was "hosed up" that my boyfriend went to spend a few nights at his mom's instead of at our apartment. She also thought it was "hosed up" that a guy she dated had moved out and let his ex and their kids have the house. A guy has to take her out to dinner at least once a week and not even ask to split it and never go anywhere without inviting her or she gets upset. One time we were at a bar and a cute guy asked if she wanted to split a pitcher, and she became highly offended and complained about how she doesn't pay for things. She thought a financial advisor who made 6 figures was a loser because he had a BS in Psychology but his job was unrelated, then asked me what psychology was :psyduck: Whenever she comes over we both have to walk her from her car to the door, and again when she leaves, even during the day. Probably because she's insanely racist, as she's always talking about how she'd never date a black guy. It's just reality, I don't know what she thinks she can bring to a relationship and have someone hold her hand and support her. No, she isn't hot.

Both of them are sweet though, so I feel bad about being so annoyed by them and try to be nice, but omg.

• Locked thread