Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Power Bottom posted:

Weighing in on Wailing Arrow vs Mind Control:

Wailing Arrow can shut down the entire enemy team's ability use, which is enormously useful when both teams are totally engaged in fighting. The trick is using it early so the enemy doesn't have the opportunity to throw out ultimates of their own while you collapse on them.

Mind Control can force an enemy into an unfavorable position with very little counterplay, making fights into 5v4s with all of the benefits that such a thing entails. Alternately, you can use it to make a fight 4v4 while using it on an enemy teammate that's more valuable in a teamfight than Sylvanas is (i.e., making the tank gently caress off so they have no peel or stopping their AA from doing anything useful).

Ultimatelyheh, both abilities have their uses. I usually prefer Wailing Arrow because Mind Control isn't as useful in this Double Warrior meta of ours, and also because it's easier to stop major moneymakers like Twilight Dream or Horrify.

The range on MC is awful. If you're going to use it on a squishy either 1) they were already out of position and should be dead, 2) they're not out of position, you are and you just self stunned, or 3) they're not squishy. I guess the case for MC is a game where your opponents are built around a single hero like Greymane or Illidan and are functionally useless iwthout them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Goons, help me how to Kerrigan... I've been trying to get better with her, but I'm not sure when to dive. Also, I feel extra squishy with her.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Nephzinho posted:

The range on MC is awful. If you're going to use it on a squishy either 1) they were already out of position and should be dead, 2) they're not out of position, you are and you just self stunned, or 3) they're not squishy. I guess the case for MC is a game where your opponents are built around a single hero like Greymane or Illidan and are functionally useless iwthout them.

Well, I suspect you're probably good enough that you get much better players with and against you than I do. But on the sort of teams I get, a squishy being out of position does not mean the enemy will collapse on them and get an instant pick like a pro team would. In my absolutely anecdotal, personal, mid-level experience, though? The big MIND CONTROL sign going up over a slightly mispositioned soft character is a huge neon light that screams "Kill this one!" to Sylvanas's team a lot of the time. It doesn't ALWAYS work, but it works frequently enough that it makes MC not a dead pick to me.

Now, I still agree that in a vacuum, Wailing Arrow is better. For good players, Wailing Arrow is better. Being more useful for tactically weaker teams does not increase the absolute value of Mind Control. But I think that absolute value of an ability is less important than the actual value one gets out of it if they pick it. IE, if all Falstad is going to do with Gust is push a bunch of warriors and Thrall right up next to Jaina and Chromie? He's probably better off taking Hinterland even if Gust is the better choice in a vacuum.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

There's one guaranteed way to get a random team to focus on a single target, and it's Gul'dan casting Life Drain on a minion.

Just get the talent that resets the cooldown on minions that die with life drain on them

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have a problem

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Ciaphas posted:

I have a problem

I disagree, you are clearly winning most of your games

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Ciaphas posted:

I have a problem

This would only be a problem if you were playing Samuro, Butcher or Nova :v: (I say this as a person who enjoys playing Nova).

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Quote is not edit.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

Just get the talent that resets the cooldown on minions that die with life drain on them

This competes with some much better talents, iirc. And it's not something you even need except when your teammates all kill the minion you were keeping fresh to drain.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Ciaphas posted:

I have a problem

Well, go on. Post your pro review of Probius' talents. You're clearly doing decently with it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bogart posted:

Well, go on. Post your pro review of Probius' talents. You're clearly doing decently with it.

Everything but 1, 7 and 16 is completely set in stone; I can't make up my mind on rift vs cannon talents at 1 and 7, and at 16 I regularly switch between the lingering slow, the slow more at center, and a couple times even the reduced spell power talent. Other than that? At 4 turbo on big maps where I'm not scared of dives, shield otherwise (though lately I'm tending more toward always going turbo), Pylon Overcharge always (tried null wall once and totally hated it), shield pylons always and pylon upgrade at 20 always :shrug:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 29, 2017

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Ignite Memories posted:

This competes with some much better talents, iirc. And it's not something you even need except when your teammates all kill the minion you were keeping fresh to drain.

Yeah, Improved Life Tap is usually better, especially if you will be spending a long time away from lanes or if you don't have reason to believe your teammates are going to repeatedly gently caress over your life drains. I still end up taking Health Funnel on rare occasions because of teammates who DO seem inclined to do so though.

Hell, every now and then in QM I go Full Drain Life Gul'dan. It will never complete with Fel Flame or Corruption builds, but it can be silly fun on occasion.

Ciaphas posted:

shield pylons always

I have found some limited success with the MP/spell power pylons when my team has characters who are very mana hungry. The two I've noticed so far are Tyrael and Morales. But that's a very limited and specific situation, and shield pylons are definitely more of a safe all-around choice. I have never been in a situation where my team has been dependent enough on autoattackers to take that pylon.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 29, 2017

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
Anyone defending Mind Control needs to post their rank.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

tcjimbo posted:

The argument is Wailing Arrow is great and the right pick 99.98% of the time while Mind Control is fun and funny. That's my MC defense.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I picked Mind Control once on accident in a hurry to team fight at 10 immediately and have regretted that one time ever since.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Khorne posted:

The argument is Wailing Arrow is great and the right pick 99.98% of the time while Mind Control is fun and funny. That's my MC defense.

Pretty much same here.

But sure, I'll post the rank I have since I already admitted I'm bad and don't deny it. Mostly play QM and UD. My hotslogs MMR hovers between 1900 and 2100 most of the time. I know this is not accurate to real Blizzard MMR, it's just what I have.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Mind over Matter posted:

Well, I suspect you're probably good enough that you get much better players with and against you than I do. But on the sort of teams I get, a squishy being out of position does not mean the enemy will collapse on them and get an instant pick like a pro team would. In my absolutely anecdotal, personal, mid-level experience, though? The big MIND CONTROL sign going up over a slightly mispositioned soft character is a huge neon light that screams "Kill this one!" to Sylvanas's team a lot of the time. It doesn't ALWAYS work, but it works frequently enough that it makes MC not a dead pick to me.

Mind control makes you stop doing Sylvanas Things. Any ult that violates your primary purpose without enhancing it or providing more tools is probably a bad ult. A much better version of mind control that people are describing here is varian's taunt. Mind control is just a fun thing to do and sometimes leads to a kill. A squishy caught out of position is just as dead if you had used wailing arrow instead. Both ults will shut them down, so it doesn't make much sense to me to take mind control when it only works best if the enemy team is dumb.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Mind control makes you stop doing Sylvanas Things. Any ult that violates your primary purpose without enhancing it or providing more tools is probably a bad ult. A much better version of mind control that people are describing here is varian's taunt. Mind control is just a fun thing to do and sometimes leads to a kill. A squishy caught out of position is just as dead if you had used wailing arrow instead. Both ults will shut them down, so it doesn't make much sense to me to take mind control when it only works best if the enemy team is dumb.

Yeah. My argument, and it is absolutely a weak one, is that it can make Sylvanas's team less dumb just long enough to get a pick, sometimes. In a way that Wailing Arrow may or may not. This is not an endorsement of MC as a strong overall ultimate. Looking at my HotsLogs records for Sylvanas I have picked MC 29 times to Wailing Arrow's 199 times. So I am definitely not saying to slam pick or even often pick MC.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Colossus Smash may be a very situational pick, but it is satisfying as hell to jump on a Li-Ming and knock her out of the loving ballpark. :black101:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 29, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bloody Pom posted:

Colossus Smash may be a very situational pick, but it is satisfying as hell to jump on a Li-Ming and knock her out of the loving ballpark. :black101:

Its really disappointing that Taunt Varian is going to be the best choice 90% of the time cause both Colossus Smash and Twin Blades are so much fun.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I would only take Mind Control to isolate one crucial hero that is probably wrecking your face, like an Illidan or Sonya your team just wouldn't be able to deal with otherwise.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

1stGear posted:

Its really disappointing that Taunt Varian is going to be the best choice 90% of the time cause both Colossus Smash and Twin Blades are so much fun.

If you're playing Draft, you pretty much only take Varian to be taunt Varian. If you're playing QM, you sometimes walk into times where those other two builds really can do degenerate things and have fun.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
I remember how much self-healing Fury Varian had at release and I'm okay with that never being viable ever again

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

I remember how much self-healing Fury Varian had at release and I'm okay with that never being viable ever again

Release Fury Varian is probably the only thing that has made me as salty in HotS as current Tank Varian in QM does.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

via reddit:

quote:

Geneva, Switzerland –
Quantum physicists announced today the discovery of a field-shaking new subatomic body they call the "Varian Particle.”
“Everything we thought before about quantum physics is wrong,” says Ernst von Kleiburn, head researcher of the team who discovered the particle. “The particle turns simultaneously defies and redefines every principle of mechanics we’d previously believed.”
Most quantum physics is highly theoretical, and its discoveries tend to be derived from mathematics rather than observation. But in the case of the Varian Particle, observation revealed gaping holes in the existing math.
von Kleiburn explains: “Everyone knows Schrödinger’s cat. You put a cat in a box, and press a button, and there is a fifty-percent chance that the button kills the cat. Before you open the box, the cat is both alive and dead. This helps us think about uncertainty in quantum mechanics, how particles are in fact waves.”
But scientists discovered that even though the Varian Particle has two potential states, Twin Blades and Taunt, they could in fact accurately predict its state based on its position.
This is even more startling given the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, another foundation of quantum mechanics. This principle explains that a scientist can measure either the momentum and position of a particle—but not both. The Varian Particle throws a massive quantum wrench into the mix.
“We always know the momentum of the Varian Paritcle,” von Kleiburn says. “It always moves toward the enemy team as fast as it can.” This principle is known informally as the Varian Constant. And yet, researchers learned that if they measured the Varian Particle’s position first, they could unquestionably measure its state.
CERN scientists released the beguilingly simple equation behind the Varian Particle: VT1=Vtb.
This means, according to von Kleiburn, if a Varian is on the team of the observer, the newly discovered Varian Particle will compel that Varian to be in the state known as Twin Blades. “If, however,” he continues, “the Varian is on the team opposite the observer, the Varian will be in the state we call ‘Taunt.’”
von Kleiburn says that scientists were baffled when they first observed the particle in action. “It’s statistically impossible for a particle with two potential states to end up 100% of the time in one state,” he says, “but the Varian Particle manages it. Even when conditions would appear to favor the other state, Taunt, if the observer’s position is on the same team as the Varian: Twin Blades.”
In the end, both Heisenberg and Schrödinger appear incorrect. “We know its position: on our team. We know its momentum: forward at c, or the speed of light. And we can predict its state with complete accuracy.”
Attempts to split the Varian Particle in the Large Hadron Collider have met with an unexpected challenge: the particle appears to be able to protect itself indefinitely. Scientists have therefore not yet fully uncovered the full implications of their discovery. Already, they believe it my provide an explanation for loss-streaks, high blood pressure, and rage. “It appears, strangely enough, that this quantum particle is also part of the formation of NaCl,” von Kleiburn adds. “It’s truly remarkable.”
Some researchers at CERN have suggested a third possible state for the Varian Particle called “Colossus Smash,” but this state has never been observed in the laboratory or the field.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

EdRush posted:

I would only take Mind Control to isolate one crucial hero that is probably wrecking your face, like an Illidan or Sonya your team just wouldn't be able to deal with otherwise.

If there's just one hero that your team can't deal with at all you were never going to win anyway, and stunning yourself while you run them into your team to kill everyone isn't going to help you.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Bullshit. MC probably isn't usually the best way to do it, for sure. But getting a 5v1 pick or whatever on the character that's been giving you trouble in a match lets you turn that into a 5v4 against the rest of their team and either pick up a solid lead to build on, or catch back up to parity.

Leaving MC entirely aside, the concept of using a moment to turn a small advantage into a big one is a huge part of HotS and I've seen it happen so many times to turn matches around both for and against my team.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Varian and D.Va not being classified as tanks is loving ruinous

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Ciaphas posted:

Agreed. Devil's advocate a little though, in QM at least you may be queuing up to play twin blades or colossus smash. Since the point of QM is to be able to be sure you can play the exact hero you want in the spec you want (regardless of if your team is equipped to support that) I don't know how they can fix Varian's classification. Maybe make you lock into if you're going to play damage or tank Varian before a match starts?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

NeurosisHead posted:

Agreed. Devil's advocate a little though, in QM at least you may be queuing up to play twin blades or colossus smash. Since the point of QM is to be able to be sure you can play the exact hero you want in the spec you want (regardless of if your team is equipped to support that) I don't know how they can fix Varian's classification. Maybe make you lock into if you're going to play damage or tank Varian before a match starts?

Set it up like Nazeebo and his Superstition talent in Mage Wars; if Varian queues for QM and there are no warriors on the enemy team, then he can't choose Taunt at all for that match.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

beejay posted:

:thunk:

I'd love to hear this explanation.

Was confusing the effects, thought they were both Silences, but I was wrong!

Also I bought the starter kit and got Azmo for free. :woop:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Fuzz posted:

Wailing Arrow is a crappier Artanis ult but that's not saying much because holy poo poo can you swing a team fight immediately with either one.

Mind Control meanwhile lets you gently caress with one person and if your team is stupid and doesn't pounce on them it's literally a waste.

Even in solo QM (and I've been playing for only a month so probably still bottom barrel MMR) I get kills every time with Mind Control. It is really loving loud and even that guy who seems to be playing with the minimap disabled will jump on the out-of-position enemy that walks right into your team while you are yodeling.

I feel like Arrow is going to get better when I'm finally doing HL matches, but Mind Control is king when you're playing QM dumpster fire matches. Neither team is willing to initiate a teamfight. There is no sudden 5v5 clash, no big plays. Just two 5 man deathballs orbiting around each other. It's like musical chairs. Whoever is finally caught out of position gets killed, then the other 4 heroes on that team will slowly filter in to die one by one. I have also never been disabled or otherwise interrupted during a Mind Control channel. At higher skill levels I doubt that would be true.

It's one of those skills that gets better the worse the players are. Like Bloodseeker ult in dota.

tcjimbo posted:

I can't even do placements yet, I still need to get 14 characters to level 5. At my MMR Mind Control is :discourse:

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 30, 2017

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Oh yeah I ran into one of those stereotypical "bad stealth hero player" guys that took it so far it was unreal. Zeratul, player level 900 (with a star along the bottom - does that mean 1900?). End of a 20 minute match, had 3000 xp contributed. He used the time stop ult at the most random times. Enemy hero at 5% HP and about to die? Freeze it and two teamates. Drop it on a creep wave and walk away. Cast it on an empty spot of ground in the enemy base and then walk towards it, taking fire from a building.

He would also walk to a creep camp when he had 90% health, and just stand there until he regenerated to 100% before fighting the camp.

The mind boggles :psypop:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Yo why is no one talking about how amazingly fun Genji is, he gels so well with my play style. My play style being I gently caress around with very little health to bait the enemy into attacking me.

I got away on less than 5% health so many times, if I were them I'd get so lovely. :allears:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

My favorite D.Va move : boosting deep to secure a kill on a low health runner or back liner, then getting back out safely. This is why Nitrous is the best level one talent!

The D.Va move I keep trying to practice : launching a self-destructing mech to zone runners, most commonly cutting off the retreat of someone too far forward in lane. It feels like Q has one of those forced delays on it to prevent spam clicking, so you have to wait maybe a full second before you can stop it, which often screws up this move and also general bullying. It's my only real quality of life issue with her.

Also I like that D.Va's master portrait is literally *winky face* (one of her OW lines for those that haven't played it - I don't think they ported that line to HotS).

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

NeurosisHead posted:

Half the support or warrior characters can be specced so they don't heal or tank, but that doesn't bar them from counting as your support or tank. Just because someone can choose not to tank warrior doesn't mean he shouldn't count as one for QM.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Coolness Averted posted:

Half the support or warrior characters can be specced so they don't heal or tank, but that doesn't bar them from counting as your support or tank. Just because someone can choose not to tank warrior doesn't mean he shouldn't count as one for QM.

...No they can't?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Kalko posted:

Also I like that D.Va's master portrait is literally *winky face* (one of her OW lines for those that haven't played it - I don't think they ported that line to HotS).

They did, it's actually one of her unlockable voice lines too.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

SirSamVimes posted:

...No they can't?

Spoken like someone who's never lost a game because their Li Li talented exclusively into Cloud Serpent, leaving her Healing Brews basically homeopathic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, isn't D.va classed as a bruiser? And yet she does gently caress all damage but is tanky as gently caress.