Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Theyre playing point guard, not small forward. Does it overly matter how long his arms are.

Also what Bimble said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

euphronius posted:

Theyre playing point guard, not small forward. Does it overly matter how long his arms are.

Also what Bimble said.

Yes get the longest arms you can at all positions

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Emmanuel Mudiay 6-5 with 6-9 arms.
Oops he can't shoot.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Oops he can't shoot.

I would like a word filter to replace "Mudiay" with a trashcan emoji

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

Knee stuff I'll grant you. By defense ? They don't play defense in college. Who knows ?? Did Markell's faults play defense ?

I love this tae autocorrect

PG defense doesnt really matter unless said PG is at Kanter-level defense

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

I would like a word filter to replace "🚮" with a trashcan emoji

I've been thinking about Fultz, there's a certain heaviness that you don't expect from point guards, he's really big, he's James Harden sized, and he doesn't have turbo speed, but he's so crafty that he can walk by defenses. He makes every contested shot with his weirdo arms. He reminds of Klay Thompson with his instant releease. I'm trying to think of a better comparison than James Harden, he seems big and bulky when he get into a defense but manages to wade through them, spin around them, and put in a little layup.
He probably would have been considered a shooting guard, in the past. I think he could easily play off the ball next to Thomas, but I don't know if he would like it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a HORSE competition between Mudiay and MCW

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

I've been thinking about Fultz, there's a certain heaviness that you don't expect from point guards, he's really big, he's James Harden sized, and he doesn't have turbo speed, but he's so crafty that he can walk by defenses. He makes every contested shot with his weirdo arms. He reminds of Klay Thompson with his instant releease. I'm trying to think of a better comparison than James Harden, he seems big and bulky when he get into a defense but manages to wade through them, spin around them, and put in a little layup.
He probably would have been considered a shooting guard, in the past. I think he could easily play off the ball next to Thomas, but I don't know if he would like it.

Yeah I didn't really start paying too much attention to him until the Celtics got the first pick because I figured we would have ended up at like 3 or 4, so I checked out Josh Jackson and the like a little more. Now that I'm looking at all of Fultz's mixtapes etc I'm surprised at how strong and stable he looks. Like you said the other day, he's gotta be on some quality steroids. It makes his little slither and spin moves look even more ridiculous

He doesn't even sound opposed at all to playing next to Thomas, but he added some little thing about how he thinks Isaiah is "even better off the ball" so he may have expectation adjustments incoming. Or maybe I'm wrong and that's exactly how it will happen and Isaiah is going to be a discontent next year

Also 🚮 is killing me

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 27, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fultz on Boston for the next 10 years is going to be infuriating.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I thought of it, Fultz is almost Boris Diaw when he gets into the teeth of a defense, he sort of waltzes or wades through 4 guys and gets to the rim, without fail. If he doesn't flip a shot in then he bangs a pass between some defender's legs for an easy dunk. There are things I see NBA defenses exploiting, but if he's on the celtics, forget it, it will be like Kawhi and people will forget about him for a season and then say 'holy poo poo how did he get so good,' because they'll cover up for his weaknesses and boost his strengths.

Also he's about the same size as Mudiay but thicker and without the John Wall turbo boost, with the ability to make layups.

EvanTH posted:

Unless it's indicative of Derrick Rose-esque joint-punishing biomechanics that are a serious issue
That's a good point and he does take a lot of off angle jumps toward the rim that put shear strain on those tendons and ligaments, a decent NBA strength and conditioning program should be able to teach him to move properly, though

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 27, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

An ACL is an injury that players in every sport fully recover from, in 2017.

Unless it's indicative of Derrick Rose-esque joint-punishing biomechanics that are a serious issue

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metapod posted:

Yes get the longest arms you can at all positions

John Hammond account spotted

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Also what Bimble said.

euphronius posted:

Oops he can't shoot.

Don't be silly.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Smith is the only player in the draft who has demonstrated both an ability to create for his teammates in the half court and to get his own offense at a high level.

It is really like watching John Stockton 2.0 except if instead of going up one foot in the air for a humble floater, Stockton becomes Steph Marbury and rises into the sky and thunders the ball into the basket.

I'm less worried about the attitude and the knee than the fact that he was really troubled by long and athletic defenders, but it's also very unlikely that he's going to draw double and triple teams in the pros like he did in college.

WhyteRyce posted:

The Ringer has Jonah Bolden up at #27 right now it's happening

Guys not good enough to get off the bench in college getting drafted in the first round seems to be a thing this year.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

How is Bolden so good at 3s and so bad at FTs? That should worry any team picking him...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

Guys not good enough to get off the bench in college getting drafted in the first round seems to be a thing this year.

Worked ok for Zach LaVine so far, torn ACL notwithstanding

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Og is #10 in that Ringer draft primer too. Either of those to are probably our guys at #10....or Justin Jackson :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rick posted:

Smith is the only player in the draft who has demonstrated both an ability to create for his teammates in the half court and to get his own offense at a high level.

It is really like watching John Stockton 2.0 except if instead of going up one foot in the air for a humble floater, Stockton becomes Steph Marbury and rises into the sky and thunders the ball into the basket.

I'm less worried about the attitude and the knee than the fact that he was really troubled by long and athletic defenders, but it's also very unlikely that he's going to draw double and triple teams in the pros like he did in college.

Yeah I see the same with smith. Just imagining him surrounded by NBA players.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

. An ACL is an injury that players in every sport fully recover from, in 2017.

You recover but it still takes a year+, which might affect how he develops.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

IcePhoenix posted:

Worked ok for Zach LaVine so far, torn ACL notwithstanding

Zach was a rotation player, Bolden was not and Furgeson wouldn't have been either.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I really think its Smith or Monk for me. Only question is how ball dominant Smith can be with Simmons.

Monk-Bayless-RobCo-Simmons-Embiid

Then bench options of

TJ-Stauskas-???-Dario-Holmes

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I really think its Smith or Monk for me. Only question is how ball dominant Smith can be with Simmons.

Monk-Bayless-RobCo-Simmons-Embiid

Then bench options of

TJ-Stauskas-???-Dario-Holmes

The fit with Simmons is my biggest concern. He does shoot pretty well off the catch+shoot and from 3, but I'm not sure he has that much value over guys like JJ/Fox/Monk if Simmons is going to be the primary ballhandler.

TLC is probably slots into 3 off the bench in that lineup.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The fit with Simmons is my biggest concern. He does shoot pretty well off the catch+shoot and from 3, but I'm not sure he has that much value over guys like JJ/Fox/Monk if Simmons is going to be the primary ballhandler.

TLC is probably slots into 3 off the bench in that lineup.

Have as many guys who can initiate the offense as possible

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

WhyteRyce posted:

Og is #10 in that Ringer draft primer too. Either of those to are probably our guys at #10....or Justin Jackson :(

Justin Jackson seems like the obvious gag gift around that spot so I'd be happy if he wasn't there to tempt Charlotte. I could see him being a Rodney Hood type though

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Metapod posted:

Have as many guys who can initiate the offense as possible

This is why I've come around to Smith.

You could even stagger minutes so that at least one of the two (Smith or Simmons) is on the floor all 48 minutes.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

I kind of thing Terrance Ferguson is a good fit, I feel like Sacramento will have plenty of wing minutes for him to hopefully expand his game, and he's incredibly toolsy.

I like OG but until he develops anything on offense beyond an okay 3p shoot his hard ceiling is an Al Farouq Aminu ish defensive combo forward with even less passing and ball handling. That's not awful for 10, but not great, and it sort of suits what Sacramento needs, it's a querstion.

Justin Jackson is a step below Rodney Hood at everything.

I'm coming around a little bit on John Collins, but just a little. Actually all those later lottery bigs have gleams of potential.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I figured it went without saying that best case scenario for the Sixers is to trade down, but I don't see who would be interested in trading up. I guess hope the Magic or Kings fall in love with someone, I don't know. Jackson, Smith, Fox, and Monk all make me happy, so being at 5 or 6 is ideal. I remain steadfast in not wanting Tatum or Ball at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd be horribly mad if they took Jackson or fox. There is no room for people who can't shoot.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

I'd be horribly mad if they took Jackson or fox. There is no room for people who can't shoot.

They both progressed into being decent shooters as the season went on, but sample size, etc...

I'd take either one before Isaac who, quite literally, might not be able to play in any games in Utah/Denver because of his asthma.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They both progressed into being decent shooters as the season went on, but sample size, etc...

I'd take either one before Isaac who, quite literally, might not be able to play in any games in Utah/Denver because of his asthma.

Fox couldn't even crack 25% from a short line

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Fox couldn't even crack 25% from a short line

He shot 38% over his last 15 games, 48% over his last 10, and 70%+ from the line for the season.

I don't think it'll ever be his biggest strength, but given the quality of the rest of his skill set I would be comfortable taking the risk at 3. Ditto with JJ.

I'd much rather that risk than taking guys with health flags like Smith or Isaac.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
“I feel like wins are deceiving sometimes,” Ainge told the Boston Herald. “I think that the fact that we were one of three teams still left playing was something to be proud of, but it’s not necessarily where we really are.”

This may be the most insightful thing Danny Ainge has ever said and it gives me hope that his head is in the right place this offseason

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

If you want evidence that BS is really out of touch on basketball nowadays...

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/869243545374269440

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

If you want evidence that BS is really out of touch on basketball nowadays...

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/869243545374269440

Why would the kings even need to be involved there?

3+ LAL 18 + Saric for Fultz straight up.

Ainge would laugh in Colangelo's face

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He shot 38% over his last 15 games, 48% over his last 10, and 70%+ from the line for the season.

I don't think it'll ever be his biggest strength, but given the quality of the rest of his skill set I would be comfortable taking the risk at 3. Ditto with JJ.

I'd much rather that risk than taking guys with health flags like Smith or Isaac.

Why are those games more predictive than all the ones where he shot horribly?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

aBagorn posted:

Why would the kings even need to be involved there?

3+ LAL 18 + Saric for Fultz straight up.

Ainge would laugh in Colangelo's face

That's still wayyyyyy too much to move up 2 spots in a draft full of good PG prospects and when the Sixers already have a primary ball handler in Simmons.

Fultz is obviously a better prospect than Smith or Fox, but I don't think the difference is soooooo dramatic to merit sacrificing what will probably be a top 7-8 pick in good looking 2018 draft in addition to Dario.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This thread has taught me that Ben Simmons apparently improved dramatically as a ball handler while spending the better part of a year not playing any basketball

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Why are those games more predictive than all the ones where he shot horribly?

They're not necessarily; it's going to be a small sample size for whatever portion of the college season is being analyzed unless the guy is chucking 10 threes a game and I like improvement over the course of time as an indicator of his not being a terrible!!! shooter in the pros.

Like I said I don't think he'll ever be a Monk-esque shooter, but given his other abilities I'm not too concerned if he shoots 30%-32% from three v shooting 38%-40%.

The biggest change I saw over the course of the season for him was a dramatic improvement in the quality of his shot selection. His footwork in setting up for shots still needs a lot of work and think a bit more upper body strength might help. He really needs to work on shooting off the dribble, but that's true of other guys like Smith as well.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

This thread has taught me that Ben Simmons apparently improved dramatically as a ball handler while spending the better part of a year not playing any basketball

Well they've said he's going to be their primary ballhandler so I guess we'll see.

edit: do you think his injury prevented him from dribbling an ball or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They're not necessarily; it's going to be a small sample size for whatever portion of the college season is being analyzed unless the guy is chucking 10 threes a game and I like improvement over the course of time as an indicator of his not being a terrible!!! shooter in the pros.

Like I said I don't think he'll ever be a Monk-esque shooter, but given his other abilities I'm not too concerned if he shoots 30%-32% from three v shooting 38%-40%.

The biggest change I saw over the course of the season for him was a dramatic improvement in the quality of his shot selection. His footwork in setting up for shots still needs a lot of work and think a bit more upper body strength might help. He really needs to work on shooting off the dribble, but that's true of other guys like Smith as well.

It seems like the best way to deal with the sample size issue would be to, ya know, use a larger sample. Like maybe the whole season!

• Locked thread