Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tony Phillips posted:

Assuming he meant the first half on 1998.

Yeah, 9-10 is not exactly vintage Randy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

Considering baseball has a HBP process, I don't think it's appropriate for a batter to charge the mound at almost any situation, sorry.

Harper can be and has been better than that. He got hit for bullshit reasons in his first season and didn't throw punches in response.

What process? Harper should just accept that he's gonna get hit if he plays well?

I get that it's your team, but Strickland is an idiot and pitchers need to face repercussions if they wanna throw at someone if MLB isn't going to do anything about it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Process? Appropriate?

Get outta here.

Protest if you want, the ump is right there, but fistfights are crap. Both guys should get equal suspensions and Dusty should keep his retaliatory beanball poo poo to himself.

Popete posted:

I get that it's your team, but Strickland is an idiot and pitchers need to face repercussions if they wanna throw at someone if MLB isn't going to do anything about it.

Pitchers should get ejected for deliberately throwing at guys. And yeah Strickland is an idiot. Not defending him here.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

he got hit for homering off of strickland twice, in october 2014

Basically.

All you need to see in the replay is Buster Posey just watching Harper walk to the mound and not doing poo poo, most likely because he knows Strickland was asking for it.

Oh and Samardzija and Morse colliding was good, think Samardzija got the best of him though.

This happened because Strickland is a giant loving man child that can throw really hard and made a really poor choice that could've hurt someone.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 29, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Intentional beans are petty horseshit, but so is charging the mound. Take your base and let the ump deal with the pitcher.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Buster Posey is like the righteous judge of baseball and if he doesn't come to your defense you probably hosed up.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Actually fistfights are good and correct if someone wants to throw beanballs for no loving reason.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, 9-10 is not exactly vintage Randy.

3.35 FIP, 12 K/9, 3.55 K/BB, .337 BABIP (.295 career BABIP)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Luigi Thirty posted:

Posey just sat there like "nope you're on your own"

Pretty much the only sane response in the whole fiasco, lol who loving carries a grudge over a batter doing his job against you 2+ years ago? Do I have to worry about Javy getting drilled in the head the next time he faces Strickland because he had the audacity to single up the middle in the NLDS last year?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I'm guessing Posey was just staying out of an ejection. Also Strickland is the same size as Harper pretty much.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The saddest gif

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/869319992155570177

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Strickland won the fistfight portion before it descended into chaos, god bless

lol

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Intentional beans are petty horseshit, but so is charging the mound. Take your base and let the ump deal with the pitcher.

Yeah those pitchers really get a good ol' fashion'd slap on the wrist.

This beaning poo poo needs to stop. Just loving play you gigantic pissbabies.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hunter Strickland is stupid as gently caress and deserved to be knocked out by his own teammates considering Posey already has suffered a concussion this season from being thrown at.

But man did he avenge the 2014 meatball he left over the plate, so he's got that!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

DL players can't get on the field even for a fight.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

New Concept Hole posted:

I'm guessing Posey was just staying out of an ejection. Also Strickland is the same size as Harper pretty much.

Harper also got maybe one half-decent blow in, otherwise all he got for his trouble was a shot to the face courtesy of Strickland and the the entirety of twitter making fun of his pathetic attempt to throw his helmet.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What, a warning? There was no bad blood in this game prior to this, and its the first time they've played this year. This is because that rear end in a top hat doesn't like that Harper hit some dingers off him a couple years ago and thought he could get away with something here.

He wouldn't have gotten fined, suspended, anything. Just a dont do that again. Seems pretty bullshit to me.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So how many games does Harper get?

Charging the mound never ends well

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Intruder posted:

Strickland won the fistfight portion

i've been wavering back and forth on this. Strickland landed a good, clean hit but it was an open hand slap/shove to the face while backpedalling. Bryce got his feet set and rotated the hips to get that closed fist punch in but strick's arm got in the way and caused it to be a glancing blow. i think i'm calling it a draw and i want to see Harper-Strickland 2 on PPV

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MLB: Harper threw his helmet, creating a dangerous missile object that could have caused serious injury *completely ignores irony*

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

what are you talking about that charge ended in a boxing match and that rules

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Double whatever Strickland gets, which is why we have beanballs. If a pitcher got something like 20 games they'd stop immediately.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

Double whatever Strickland gets, which is why we have beanballs. If a pitcher got something like 20 games they'd stop immediately.

So if Strickland gets 5 games, Harpers getting 10? Which is pretty much the whole road trip.

Man. gently caress Hunter Strickland.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Santheb posted:

What, a warning? There was no bad blood in this game prior to this, and its the first time they've played this year. This is because that rear end in a top hat doesn't like that Harper hit some dingers off him a couple years ago and thought he could get away with something here.

He wouldn't have gotten fined, suspended, anything. Just a dont do that again. Seems pretty bullshit to me.

I'm not defending Strickland, I agree with you. That said, charging the mound accomplishes nothing and hurts your own team when you end up thrown out and suspended for however many games, along with whoever else decides to throw a punch. Take your loving base and make him pay for it with runs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

MLB: Harper threw his helmet, creating a dangerous missile object that could have caused serious injury *completely ignores irony*

I'd have just posted "lol" and left it at that but the sad reality is you're probably right.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
This was actually revenge for that graphic comparing Harper to Bonds that showed during this game.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Like really the Giants should give Strickland a suspension on top of whatever MLB does. Bochy is consistently anti-beaning, even after events like the Posey collision injury.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If Harper had just run to first then Strickland wouldn't even have been ejected, and if pitchers can throw at people for bullshit reasons and face literally no punishment whatsoever then it's just going to keep happening.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Harper's only mistake was dropping the bat.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Paracaidas posted:

Harper's only mistake was dropping the bat.

I would argue that his aim with his helmet could have been improved.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

TBeats posted:

I would argue that his aim with his helmet could have been improved.

I think the helmet throw was kinda a distraction to open the fight. He missed him by such a wide margin.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Craptacular! posted:

Like really the Giants should give Strickland a suspension on top of whatever MLB does. Bochy is consistently anti-beaning, even after events like the Posey collision injury.

I can only assume Bochy seriously had to consider not whacking Strickland over the head with a bat himself when he came back after being ejected.

Julio Cruz posted:

If Harper had just run to first then Strickland wouldn't even have been ejected, and if pitchers can throw at people for bullshit reasons and face literally no punishment whatsoever then it's just going to keep happening.

Yeah I think that's what makes the whole thing feel so lovely. Either Harper does the right thing and takes it which means Strickland just gets away with being a huge shithead and potentially injuring him, or he does the wrong thing and gets Strickland ejected/presumably suspended but also has to bite that bullet himself as well and also start a dumb brawl.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Craptacular! posted:

Like really the Giants should release Strickland for cause on top of whatever MLB does. Bochy is consistently anti-beaning, even after events like the Posey collision injury.

I'm sure their FO will come up with some excuse reason excuse not to though.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Santheb posted:

I think the helmet throw was kinda a distraction to open the fight. He missed him by such a wide margin.
It looks kind of like it slipped out of his hand. You could argue that if Harper really wanted to throw anything at Strickland he probably would've made it a bit closer, though.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Strickland is a piece of poo poo and I don't blame Harper one iota.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Casnorf posted:

It looks kind of like it slipped out of his hand. You could argue that if Harper really wanted to throw anything at Strickland he probably would've made it a bit closer, though.

He threw it by the bill of the helmet too, I'm not sure if like..palming the top and throwing it that way would make it a more effective weapon but either way, that wasn't anywhere close.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Strickland and Harper are both total douchebags, carry on everyone

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Harper deserves 15 for that awful helmet throw imo

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Buster was over that poo poo before it begun

https://twitter.com/scout_6/status/869329030230663168

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It would be tight if a manager just pulled and suspended his own player for beanballing, if the umps don't do anything. Doubt any of them have the balls to do this though.

• Locked thread