Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

What if the reason they made Shadow black was to make it easier for him to also be the protagonist of Anansi Boys :thunk:

That... there is a very, very big reason that could not possibly work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wheat Loaf posted:

Honestly, if they get through the American Gods novel and Anasi Boys, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they found a way to incorporate Neverwhere as well.

There's also the American Gods novellas The Monarch of the Glen and Black Dog to adapt, plus the upcoming sequel novel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Please everyone remember that American Gods 2 is not even remotely being worked on and is just a theory that Gaiman has about the book he might write after he finishes at least two more first. Stop referring to it as an inevitability.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/BeAwesomeOne/status/868797447396630528

I don't... I don't like this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol::lol::lol:

Incredible.

Can we burn Deviantart to the ground, finally? This is what happens when those people grow up.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I love the guy in that picture who says "We've reached peak autism." That poo poo ain't autism, that's called "being a loving creeper."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't get the full-size image. Who's the bloke in the glasses?

Also, I didn't even know there was new Powerpuff Girls. Not one I was ever really into. It was one of the ones my mum didn't like when I was little.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I can't get the full-size image. Who's the bloke in the glasses?

Also, I didn't even know there was new Powerpuff Girls. Not one I was ever really into. It was one of the ones my mum didn't like when I was little.

Here, take it all:

That's one of the writers for the new PPG. He created a self-insert character and Blossom -- who's 7, BTW -- is in love with him.

Who the gently caress let this through, seriously?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So many great modern cartoons have come from letting the creative people behind them run wild but everything I've seen about the Powerpuff Girls reboot embodies the worst thing that can possibly come from that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
on the other hand, the Japanese Powerpuff Girls is fantastic

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

precision posted:

on the other hand, the Japanese Powerpuff Girls is fantastic

I wish that show was even a little bit as funny as O.G. PPG. The artstyle is stunning but it's wasted on some unbelievably boring plots.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

At some point the Powerpuff Girls stopped being a parody and just became an actual franchise aimed at little girls and I don't get how that happened.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the original powerpuff girls was definitely aimed at kids/teens primarily, don't let the brony revisionist version of cartoon history come to pass

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean yeah of course, it wasn't aimed at people who ready Metal Hurlant or anything, but the show definitely had anti-lessons, horrendous violence superimposed with the sugar-coated aesthetic and a satirical structure that lampooned "girl power" stuff like Sailor Moon. But then by the time the movie came out it was actually aimed at that audience and didn't really have those satirical elements as much. And that anime version sure didn't have that stuff.

It was more like Dexter's lab than Twinx is what I'm getting at.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 29, 2017

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

STAC Goat posted:

American Gods seems to be playing pretty fast and loose with tone and focus so far. It does seem like they're trying to work a lot of stuff in with the American Gods novel as the framework. And that could definitely fall apart sooner than later. But for now I'm enjoying it so I'm not going to worry about what might be 3, 5, or 7 years from now. How many shows last 7 years even if they want to? That seems like a weird way to be looking at a show that is 4 episodes in, unless you're DEEPLY invested in the source material.

Which again, is why I'm avoiding the thread like the plague.

American Gods is one of those shows that was always going to have a terrible thread. it's been telling whatever stories it wants to tell, under the logic that, well, the show says "American Gods", not The Adventures of Shadow Moon. and thus people who always watch superhero and action shows, and look for tight plotting tune into American Gods, and flip their poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I mean yeah of course, it wasn't aimed at people who ready Metal Hurlant or anything, but the show definitely had anti-lessons, horrendous violence superimposed with the sugar-coated aesthetic and a satirical structure that lampooned "girl power" stuff like Sailor Moon. But then by the time the movie came out it was actually aimed at that audience and didn't really have those satirical elements as much. And that anime version sure didn't have that stuff.

It was more like Dexter's lab than Twinx is what I'm getting at.

Well yeah.

But you're wrong about the anime. It definitely made fun of the magical girl genre though it didn't really keep the "almost adult swim" style stuff that the first few seasons of the original had.

I forgot the movie even existed.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Apparently Bloodline season 3 just snuck out. I had no idea it was coming out, haven't even watched season 2 yet.

Season 1 was decent, starting a bit slow, it had a good pay off. How was season 2?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 2 is still quite good. I've heard 3 gets pretty nuts.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Season 3 was pretty good. It gets a little out there toward the end, but I thought it was a fitting end to the show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Apparently Bloodline season 3 just snuck out. I had no idea it was coming out, haven't even watched season 2 yet.

I swear Netflix wants their good poo poo to fail.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well I mean the show is cancelled and it's Netflix, if it's not going to draw in new viewers they really don't give a poo poo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Showrunner's ambition or not I feel it's silly to refer to anything that gets to actually plan for its final season as 'cancelled'. Shows not going on forever is a good thing and I feel that very much applies for Bloodlines of which the first season was basically completely self-contained outside of the last-minute cliff-hanger. HBO and Showtime has turned stringing good shows into endless repetitive poo poo and/or self-parody into an art-form and it's not exactly something that you should want other companies to emulate.

Yes I'm still bitter over Girlboss getting front page advertising while Dear White People got rolled out without fanfare.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 30, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

MiddleOne posted:

Yes I'm still bitter over Girlboss getting front page advertising while Dear Black People got rolled out without fanfare.

You're kinda undermining yourself a bit here.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There are people who actually liked Girlboss?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MiddleOne posted:

Showrunner's ambition or not I feel it's silly to refer to anything that gets to actually plan for its final season as 'cancelled'.

I think it's silly to pretend that a team that wants to do 5 or so seasons that gets told "You are done now" wasn't fired. Season 3 clearly shows the efforts of stunted storylines and things they wanted to do more with but didn't have the time. Were they able to cobble together a mostly thematic ending? Sort of, but it's still clear that isn't what they set out to make.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Yes I'm still bitter over Girlboss getting front page advertising while Dear Black People got rolled out without fanfare.

I had Dear Black People on the first page of the Netflix Originals carousel.

Everyone on Netflix gets a different order based on their demographic and watch history

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I had no idea Dear White People was getting a tv show so I would say that Netflix put it somewhere visible enough.

I have no opinion on girlboss other than it doesn't interest me enough to watch it at all and form one.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

blunt posted:

I had Dear Black People on the first page of the Netflix Originals carousel.

Everyone on Netflix gets a different order based on their demographic and watch history

They're both shows targeted at younger audiences, released around the same time and there was literally no effort paid to push it in mainstream media over here where I live. I've been hearing about the next season of House of Cards for months and yet Dear White People is something I just randomly found going through the categories. That was not the case for the Get Down which did get pushed. If this is a demographics issue I'm sure not seeing it. Hell, it was so undersold that I first actually thought it was the 2014 movie. Netflix does not release original content often enough that I should have to dig to know an amazing show even exists.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 30, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Girlboss managed to be even worse than it looked.

Also what's Dear Black People?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad we live in a world where Jon Glaser is encouraged to keep making a bizarre loving show like Neon Joe.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Girlboss was meant to be a big hit show right up till it came out the person it's based on is horrible

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't she supposed to be like a female Walter White or something? He isn't a good guy either.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Walter White wasn't executive producing Breaking Bad.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't she supposed to be like a female Walter White or something? He isn't a good guy either.

But she's real and currently getting sued for labour violations

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Jennifer Wright from New York Post called the show a "feminist fraud" because of Sophia's selfishness."

Women can't be selfish? I don't understand that for an official critique.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

sbaldrick posted:

But she's real and currently getting sued for labour violations

Jordan Belfort is also real. I haven't seen the show but my impression from marketing was that she's one of those flawed anti heroes. The trailer showed her scamming on Ebay.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rocksicles posted:

"Jennifer Wright from New York Post called the show a "feminist fraud" because of Sophia's selfishness."

There's been this recent trend to try and repackage Silicon Valley's vampiric assholishness as empowering by propping up lady CEOs and it's all crumbling down because it turns out that they're just as good at being abusive criminals as men are.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/were-living-in-the-era-of-the-hypocritical-feminist-boss-591ee120249dceda5e243004

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Jordan Belfort is also real. I haven't seen the show but my impression from marketing was that she's one of those flawed anti heroes. The trailer showed her scamming on Ebay.

The one episode I watched gave me the impression that the Girl is a Boss and Cool. And it was awful.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Rocksicles posted:

Haha, the author of that article does seem to kind of miss the point that the "feminist action" that the protagonist was pretty obviously pursuing in the show wasn't "making money and getting rich", but "being a female entrepreneur" (cue Carly Simon). And the cherry on top that she also happens to be an unrepentant shithead makes the show, not a fraud, but a better than average feminist piece as it portrays women as being equal to their male counterparts in that they are just as capable of being insufferable garbage fires as men.

Although, given the fact that a buffoon whose hobbies include sexual assault and fake & baking, recently won the majority of white women votes for president I'm pretty sure the latter point has already been made.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I never thought I'd say this, but I am super sick of the Ghostbusters theme song.

• Locked thread