Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Watched Arsenal of Freedom the other day for the first time in like 15 years and lol'd real hard at loving Chief Engineer Leland T. Lynch.

it's me, i'm the trek sperg who addresses himself in the third person with his full name and title every time he calls someone on the communicator.

I checked Memory Alpha to see if there was a particular reason why they wrote him this way, as my first assumption was the actor was probably trying to pull an Argyle and make drat sure people knew his name so that they'd give him the role permanently. But nope, it was just a weird decision that the writers made to make the guy seem creepy, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Angry Salami posted:

Mirror Garak, meanwhile, was a total waste... which, I suppose, makes thematic sense. Regular Garak's a multifaceted character with hidden depth and secret agendas, so the reverse is an utterly forgettable one-dimensional thug!

Worf was supposed to show up in the first mirror universe episode of DS9. It didn't work out and they basically just dropped Garak into his role without changing the text and gave Garak's part to someone else. So yeah, it was a bit of a mess.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Done my TNG rewatch. Guess I better start a DS9 rewatch.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Kibayasu posted:

Quickly running through my memory of the episodes where he stars or at least plays a major part, no, no there aren't. There's a few I remember that aren't amazing but nothing bad.

There's a couple Dominion War episodes where they make a big show of Garak being on the bridge of the Defiant and then he does basically nothing of import.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Thread, I need some advice: I just finished DS9. How can I cope with the knowledge that I will never be able to watch it for the first time ever again?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SomeMathGuy posted:

Thread, I need some advice: I just finished DS9. How can I cope with the knowledge that I will never be able to watch it for the first time ever again?

Immediately start watching it again to distract yourself.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

SomeMathGuy posted:

I finished DS9 for the first time fairly recently, so I feel like I may be able to give you some pointers;

Your first step should be despair but after that you'll slowly come to terms with the reality of the situation- which is also about where despair becomes the status quo again

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SomeMathGuy posted:

Continue the trip down the 90s scifi hole and watch Babylon 5.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kazinsal posted:

Followed by Time Trax and Sliders.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Powered Descent posted:

Switch to Quantum Leap.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Watching B5 right after DS9 sounds like a fun exercise in contrasts. There's even a few guest actors who appeared in both shows, sometimes playing very similar characters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Delsaber posted:

There's even a few guest actors who appeared in both shows, sometimes playing very similar characters.

Robert Foxworth being a notable one. His agent double-booked him and he no-showed on the B5 set for his follow-up episode, prompting everyone to scramble and they had to beg Bruce McGill to come do a few days' work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WkQTzAcYk

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 29, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

Time Trax predicted Siri and vape pens except in Time Trax instead of foul smelling vapor they shot criminals into the future.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I thought I had only half daydreamed Time Trax as a kid after eating a soft pretzel that was laced with something

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have all five seasons of Sliders on DVD and I'm not entirely sure why. Season five is in German because it was the only R2 release I could find.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I keep waiting for that Early Edition reboot.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

My suggestion as well. There's arguments to be made for each as to which is better, but enjoying one, you should enjoy the other regardless.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

They have that, it's called The Onion.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh poo poo, Star Trek: Bridge Commander VR drops tomorrow.

I haven't heard poo poo all about it leading up to its release so I'm guessing it's going to suck hard.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SomeMathGuy posted:

Enjoy it vicariously through others who are watching it for the first time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://m.vrheads.com/star-trek-bridge-crew-review-right-here-why-vr-exists

Sounds fairly decent, the biggest challenge is going to be finding enough people to play with.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AndyElusive posted:

Oh poo poo, Star Trek: Bridge Commander VR drops tomorrow.

I haven't heard poo poo all about it leading up to its release so I'm guessing it's going to suck hard.

From all the videos that have been released, it feels like something you'll need motion sickness medication to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBk3LnIcRo

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Timby posted:

From all the videos that have been released, it feels like something you'll need motion sickness medication to play.

Have you played much in VR? I wouldn't think this would give most people motion sickness. Generally it's movement that takes up your whole view that does that, sitting on a bridge and looking at some control panels and a viewscreen would probably be fine.
The third-person ship camera might be a problem though, I think that's something the captain can use to get a better view of what's going on.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Yeah, as far as VR experiences go, ones where you're stationary but with freelook like here are the easiest on your equilibrium by far

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Timby posted:

Holy poo poo. Dare I say that looks loving a amazing? Other the potential motion sickness I actually wish I had enough friends with VR to play this.

That OT bridge action looked so fun.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

That was basically Person of Interest except the cat was a supercomputer built by Benjamin Linus

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
By all accounts, the TOS missions are much harder than the Kelvin Timeline ship, on account of making the original jolly rancher buttons into a functional UI.

I mean, this is super easy to use, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You wouldn't get motion sickness actually playing since it's your head movements that are changing the point of view. Seated VR is like the least motion sickness inducing thing ever.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 30, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

You wouldn't get motion sickness actually playing since it's your head movements that are changing the point of view. Seated VR is like the least motion sickness inducing thing ever.

That really depends on the person, on how accurately the VR measures your head movements, how fast your head movements are, how much lag there is, and probably a lot of other factors.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Both the Rift and the Vive are capable of sub millimeter levels of tracking. It's scary instantaneous and exact.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

bull3964 posted:

There's always a risk of motion sickness depending on individual susceptibility with any first person thing, but I agree that Bridge Crew's setup is such that the risk is highly mitigated.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

By all accounts, the TOS missions are much harder than the Kelvin Timeline ship, on account of making the original jolly rancher buttons into a functional UI.

I mean, this is super easy to use, right?

Imagine navigating this console with the screen shaking and alarms blaring

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just watched the Thomas Riker episode of Tng but it pales in comparison to the opening of his DS9 episode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Doctor posted:

All about Cupid for me. Y'know, hard sci-fi.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Cruising through season four of ENT. At episode seven. Some thoughts:

1) Brent Spiner :allears:

2) This show sure does love beating the poo poo out of some Scott Bakula. Archer just got blown out a decompressed space station and transported after a couple seconds in the vacuum. Now he had bloodshot, bruised eyes and frostbite. This is after spending about eight episodes in a row with a major head injury.

3) Augments continue to be both rad and goofy, being a cross between Mad Max motorcycle mutants and Lost Boys. Although their superior intellect doesn't seem to recognize the irony of them complaining about the principle of Soong modifying the unborn augments' DNA. :ironicat:

4) There's been some weird editing issues. There'll be a major cliffhanger right before a commercial break or cut, and its resolution is handled to hastily that it's jarring. Archer's rescue from space, for example, leaves him on the transporter pad, frost-burned and convulsing. There's a cut that comes too quickly to let the viewer really focus on how horrific this is for Archer, and then after the cut everything's a-ok (except for his bloodshot eyes, which disappear in the next scene). T'Pol's order to destroy Cold Station 12 is also resolved abruptly, and straddled over a poorly-timed break. I'm liking these episodes, but I'd like them even more if the editors weren't jerking me around so much.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Archer gets beaten and kidnapped/imprisoned pretty much every 3rd episode.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Scott Bakula is just not captain material. He's a tired everyman and so the best way to write for him is to drag him through the mud, it doesn't really properly build up a captain.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think Scott Bakula could've done it fine, but he was given awful character direction. I suspect he got the same instructions as the Voyager cast: 'don't act too hard, be a bit bland'.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Watch all of Voyager, then you'll appreciate it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 2, episode 6 "Melora" and episode 7 "Rules of Acquisition"

I'm lumping these together under the heading, "Pandering Episodes of Star Trek"