Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really don't get people who say "Why have you made it impossible for me to vote for you when I clearly want completely the opposite of what you want."

If you don't think that people with money should help out those without it then you aren't Labour. It's not Labour's job to salve your conscience about being a oval office by abandoning that principle so that you vote for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Irony Be My Shield posted:

How was he supposed to answer "Why have you made it impossible for me to vote Labour?", exactly

'because you're a wanker and we care more about workers'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It sounds like a lot of the criticisms from actual small businesses could be alleviated with banding, with a separate small profits rate to the main rate. That would help out the 'couple of joiners/plumbers/electricians form a limited company to limit their liability on large contracts' lot without helping the 'why can't I hire someone for an hour a week on a pittance?' lot.

What are the main reasons against banding corporation tax? I suppose it could create additional loopholes for larger companies to exploit, and there are arguments that most small businesses like that should be aiming to minimize their profits by paying themselves salaries rather than dividend related trickery anyway.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Pissflaps posted:

Then labour is hosed.

seriously, we don't care now kindly go the gently caress away

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aspirational voters as in "aspirations of being a decent human being but just can't manage it"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

If you don't think that people with money should help out those without it then you aren't Labour. It's not Labour's job to salve your conscience about being a oval office by abandoning that principle so that you vote for them.

No you see he used to think that (when he didn't have any money)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

jabby posted:

The bloke was interviewed afterwards and claimed Corbyn didn't answer the question.

"We've made it impossible for you to vote labour because we actually want the country to be better" was his answer. The fact he doesn't says more about him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

It sounds like a lot of the criticisms from actual small businesses could be alleviated with banding, with a separate small profits rate to the main rate. That would help out the 'couple of joiners/plumbers/electricians form a limited company to limit their liability on large contracts' lot without helping the 'why can't I hire someone for an hour a week on a pittance?' lot.

What are the main reasons against banding corporation tax? I suppose it could create additional loopholes for larger companies to exploit, and there are arguments that most small businesses like that should be aiming to minimize their profits by paying themselves salaries rather than dividend related trickery anyway.
Labour are reintroducing banding for corporation tax, aren't they? They'll have a small business rate of 21%.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Small Business Man was 100%, 100% Tory. It's nothing to do with who his parents voted for. Anyone who doesn't see how every word he said was dripping with Toryness doesn't understand Tory voters. Vicars wives in Guildford and asset managers in Canary Wharf are only a subset, it's guys like that that are the reason they win elections.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

What are the main reasons against banding corporation tax?
If Labour's policy is not to gently caress up small business with more legislation (a good idea, this last government has added a huge admin burden) then doing stuff like banding corp tax is not a flier.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I really don't get people who say "Why have you made it impossible for me to vote for you when I clearly want completely the opposite of what you want."

In the states these are (were?) known as Reagan Democrats. People who claim to have been Democrats all their life but have voted Republican for the past thirty years. The reason generally being FYGM.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I prefer the term Covert Underhanded Non-disclosing Tory.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Corbyn was too polite to call the man a selfish waste of space. Don't know where he gets the patience.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

seriously, we don't care now kindly go the gently caress away

You cared enough to reply?

E: and to find and upload a picture with your reply

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

TheRat posted:

Here's Corbyn vs Small Business Man for those who missed it:

https://twitter.com/Rhammified/status/869315886225788931

He's rather good at this

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Namtab posted:

You cared enough to reply?

only when it's exceptionally loving dumb by his standards

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jBrereton posted:

If Labour's policy is not to gently caress up small business with more legislation (a good idea, this last government has added a huge admin burden) then doing stuff like banding corp tax is not a flier.
Would there be a large admin burden for the business themselves? They already have to do their annual accounts and declare their profits if they're limited, so surely it would just be a case of HMRC saying all profits under £x are taxed at y% and all over at z% and issuing the tax slip based on that.

There may in practice be additional admin, but it wouldn't be for the small limited company.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

only when it's exceptionally loving dumb by his standards

Just tell him to gently caress off. He'll send you a pm and you reply saying gently caress off. Worked for me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

Just tell him to gently caress off. He'll send you a pm and you reply saying gently caress off. Worked for me.

In what way did it 'work'?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Namtab posted:

he's just sent a PM claiming "I'm obsessed with him". Nope, just calling him out on his shitposting

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

he's just sent a PM claiming "I'm obsessed with him". Nope, just calling him out on his shitposting
looool

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

hey, my posting is terrible, but two years straight of "CORBYN BAD, LABOUR hosed" and you just have to occasionally scream at the sheer banality of it all

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Text UNSUBSCRIBE gently caress OFF to stop recieving creepy PMs.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Would there be a large admin burden for the business themselves? They already have to do their annual accounts and declare their profits if they're limited, so surely it would just be a case of HMRC saying all profits under £x are taxed at y% and all over at z% and issuing the tax slip based on that.

There may in practice be additional admin, but it wouldn't be for the small limited company.
The message is more important than the reality on this one, especially given that HMRC is notorious for retroactively loving up your tax liabilities if you're a small business within that community.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

TomViolence posted:

Text UNSUBSCRIBE gently caress OFF to stop recieving creepy PMs.

the ignore function does nothing to help this in TYOOL 2017

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

hey, my posting is terrible, but two years straight of "CORBYN BAD, LABOUR hosed" and you just have to occasionally scream at the sheer banality of it all

He's a boring narcissist who feeds in this thread, not surprised when he's not posting here he's looking for more attention in PMs.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Benjamin Arthur posted:

He's a boring narcissist who feeds in this thread, not surprised when he's not posting here he's looking for more attention in PMs.

but he doesn't break any rules, can't forget that

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

TheRat posted:

Here's Corbyn vs Small Business Man for those who missed it:

https://twitter.com/Rhammified/status/869315886225788931

Brilliant response, but I also would have accepted Corbyn running up those stairs and smashing this man's head in as a valid answer to the question

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

if any combination of letters could entice 'flaps into not being quite so obnoxious then he would have settled down a long time ago

he is our curse, our punishment, forever and eternal. dehumanise yourself and face to pissflaps.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

One thing that comes to me from this 'debate' is that Corbyn is more likely to benefit from sending a spokesperson to the seven-way debate and May is more likely to be harmed.

May because it goes against her strong image to be seen to be avoiding a fight, Corbyn because his personal history is a much bigger issue for him than his policies and they can't attack his history as well if he isn't there. If he gets someone like Thornberry who can keep the topic on policy and keep mocking May for not showing up, Labout might come out quite well.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Angepain posted:

if any combination of letters could entice 'flaps into not being quite so obnoxious then he would have settled down a long time ago

he is our curse, our punishment, forever and eternal. dehumanise yourself and face to pissflaps.

P*******s is actually Theresa May and I claim my five pounds

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

As funny as Pissflap's stroppy PMs must be, lets all laugh at the media turning on Jeremy Paxman instead.

Martin Kettle says "Politicians deserve better", which I'm not sure is true, though he also says the public deserve better & I'd agree with that. John Harris says he has Frankie Howerd (sic) expressions & makes for crap TV. Some writer from The Economist wants him "put out to pasture". Former Sun shithead Stig Abell thinks he's become a caricature of himself.

As someone who has always found Paxman tedious, I do enjoy that people have turned on him & John Humphries particular style.

It's really miserable that the best received line from May is the one about no deal being better than a bad deal despite it being complete bollocks. But I suppose if you're the idiot who thought Brexit was a good idea then more bad ideas can also be good ideas if you wish hard enough.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Pissflaps is basically the kind of voter that you need to motivate to vote to get Labour into power. We will lose if it can't be done. Simple as that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hexyflexy posted:

Pissflaps is basically the kind of voter that you need to motivate to vote to get Labour into power. We will lose if it can't be done. Simple as that.

Yes, the internet pedant is a key demo for Labour, without whom victory is impossible.

:jerkbag:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

forkboy84 posted:

As funny as Pissflap's stroppy PMs must be, lets all laugh at the media turning on Jeremy Paxman instead.

Martin Kettle says "Politicians deserve better", which I'm not sure is true, though he also says the public deserve better & I'd agree with that. John Harris says he has Frankie Howerd (sic) expressions & makes for crap TV. Some writer from The Economist wants him "put out to pasture". Former Sun shithead Stig Abell thinks he's become a caricature of himself.

As someone who has always found Paxman tedious, I do enjoy that people have turned on him & John Humphries particular style.

It's really miserable that the best received line from May is the one about no deal being better than a bad deal despite it being complete bollocks. But I suppose if you're the idiot who thought Brexit was a good idea then more bad ideas can also be good ideas if you wish hard enough.

The media are turning on Paxman because he tore apart their darling Mrs May and jeopardised Leveson 2 being struck down.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hexyflexy posted:

I've always voted and I've always voted labour.

But you're right: voters like me win elections for labour.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Edit: double post

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hell has officially frozen over

https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/869280381786312704

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I've always voted and I've always voted labour.

But you're right: voters like me win elections for labour.

Good job you're voting Labour then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

In what way did it 'work'?

You stopped sending me pms

• Locked thread