Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i stumbled a lil' in an interview once when i got asked the big-o complexity of an algorithm and i said "constant" and he said "so the big-o is..." and i repeated "constant" because i just pronounce O(1) "constant" (and O(n) "linear" and O(n^2) "quadratic" etc.) and i didn't realize that he literally wanted me to say "one" to show i knew what he was talking about

wrt "knowing big-o" i don't think anyone's claiming that you need to be able to write both bound proofs for a big-theta analysis on demand, you just gotta be comfortable with the common vocabulary for describing complexity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

doing time+space complexity in an interview is an incredibly bad filter and waste of time unless you are hiring fresh grads with zero experience

being able to reason about time+space complexity extremely good and useful thing to know

Iverron
May 13, 2012

raminasi posted:

big-theta analysis on demand

This is the kind of "gotcha" question I assumed was being discussed, but in any case I don't pick good employers and I'm not sure anyone else but me would have any clue what O(n^2) meant where I'm at now given that the other CS degree holder left.

I need to leave.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

doing time+space complexity in an interview is an incredibly bad filter and waste of time unless you are hiring fresh grads with zero experience

counterpoint: I literally had people that tried to do Fibonacci in a tree recursive fashion without seeing the problem on an interview

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

raminasi posted:

wrt "knowing big-o" i don't think anyone's claiming that you need to be able to write both bound proofs for a big-theta analysis on demand, you just gotta be comfortable with the common vocabulary for describing complexity

this. im not super math oriented and i don't think theta and omega end up being that useful outside of the sort of academic cs research poo poo where you come up with more and more low complexity algorithms for things that will never be implemented outside the paper they are described in. but being able to say "bubble sort is o(n^2) but is easy to do in place but merge sort is o(n log n) and can be done in place with slightly more complex code" is useful for deciding tradeoffs between algorithms, even if that particular example is vacuous.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

counterpoint: I literally had people that tried to do Fibonacci in a tree recursive fashion without seeing the problem on an interview

i need to know more to decide if that was bad. if it was just "print the numbers in order" then am iterative calc-and-forget approach is better

if it was "and make it efficient to call multiple times" then iterating and storing each step in an array is better but at least there if you're using recursion you're not creating as much unnecessary overhead as when you don't need to hold onto the data for later.

or am i overthinking it already? i tend to do that.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cis autodrag posted:

i need to know more to decide if that was bad. if it was just "print the numbers in order" then am iterative calc-and-forget approach is better

if it was "and make it efficient to call multiple times" then iterating and storing each step in an array is better but at least there if you're using recursion you're not creating as much unnecessary overhead as when you don't need to hold onto the data for later.

or am i overthinking it already? i tend to do that.

fibonacci was the classic example of "the simple recursive algorithm is extremely inefficient O(2^n), much more than the iterative algorithm" when i took those courses. if you aren't memoizing in some way, it's just terrible, and it's not a bad test to someone to mention that, at least with some hinting.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 29, 2017

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

like, explain to me why bubble sort is slower than merge sort in one sentence. big O notation can do it extremely succinctly in a way every programmer will recognize. your sentence is likely to be wandering and confusing. don't forget that i was a technical writer before i ever wrote a line of code. having a useful, compact, expressive, and universally understood notation for a difficult concept is extremely ftw.

more than a sentence but

bubble sort puts the biggest unsorted element into its correct place on each run, and each run has to look at up to the entire array. merge sort also has to look at the entire array several times, but it only has to do it for however many times you can break the the whole array in half. that number grows much slower than the size of the array, so merge sort can be much faster.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

carry on then posted:

fibonacci was the classic example of "the simple recursive algorithm is extremely inefficient O(2^n), much more than the iterative algorithm" when i took those courses. if you aren't memoizing in some way, it's just terrible.

O(n2^n)

addition on unbounded numbers isn't constant time friend

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

fibonacci was the classic example of "the simple recursive algorithm is extremely inefficient O(2^n), much more than the iterative algorithm" when i took those courses. if you aren't memoizing in some way, it's just terrible, and it's not a bad test to someone to mention that, at least with some hinting.

i mean you can define the recurrence in a way that passes the last two calculated values through and that's efficient enough if you only need to call it once and just need to print the sequence. but ya iterating will get you that for free and without adding a bunch of stack frames for no reason. like i said i tend to over think things :v:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

FamDav posted:

O(n2^n)

addition on unbounded numbers isn't constant time friend
e: lmo said it better than i could have \/\/\/

carry on then fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 29, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
usually big O is defined against a single thing, be that length of the input, bits in the operands (such as with karatsuba multiplication), number of records, or some other thing. trying to conflate two things into the same analysis is silly.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

usually big O is defined against a single thing, be that length of the input, bits in the operands (such as with karatsuba multiplication), number of records, or some other thing. trying to conflate two things into the same analysis is silly.

yeah, and the time complexity of addition for fibonacci numbers grows linearly for N when we're talking about calculating the Nth fibonacci number (N+2th is more than double the Nth fibonacci number)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

trap sprung itt

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FamDav posted:

yeah, and the time complexity of addition for fibonacci numbers grows linearly for N when we're talking about calculating the Nth fibonacci number (N+2th is more than double the Nth fibonacci number)

sure, but in the analysis you were responding to addition is being treated as a constant factor because that's generally how big o works. otherwise you're trying to measure two things at once which isn't useful especially since you can't change the algorithm to make large numbers smaller. you can't do anything about the addition so you treat it as insignificant.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

trap sprung itt

ya ur right ill stop now.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Better brush up on your ML before that next hardware store interview I guess

quote:

while we increased fulfillment levels from our stores, our overall fulfillment costs remain nearly constant as a percent of digital sales….by using machine learning to improve the algorithms that determine how to optimally fill orders with our network of stores and EFCs” – Kohl’s Corp CEO Kevin Mansell

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pryor on Fire posted:

Better brush up on your ML before that next hardware store interview I guess

my wife works in sales and she was telling me how stores like Lowe's and home Depot have been trying to use algorithms to do their inventory and the result is they they're massively overstocked on some poo poo and constantly out of others because trying to figure out how many of x object you can fit into y stores is basically a flavor of the backpack problem.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

trap sprung itt

many bad programmers were trapped

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

sure, but in the analysis you were responding to addition is being treated as a constant factor because that's generally how big o works. otherwise you're trying to measure two things at once which isn't useful especially since you can't change the algorithm to make large numbers smaller. you can't do anything about the addition so you treat it as insignificant.

big-o doesn't imply that addition is constant time, thats just the model of computation you happen to be using when calculating it. when its relevant you should consider the cost of the operations, because for example there is an O(n) solution and a O(log n), but the latter requires multiplication

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

FamDav posted:

big-o doesn't imply that addition is constant time, thats just the model of computation you happen to be using when calculating it. when its relevant you should consider the cost of the operations, because for example there is an O(n) solution and a O(log n), but the latter requires multiplication

i can't find a single piece of literature which provides O(n2^n) as the answer for "what is the bigO of recursive fibonacci". source?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

i can't find a single piece of literature which provides O(n2^n) as the answer for "what is the bigO of recursive fibonacci". source?

he's depending on the fact that adding very large numbers larger than the processor's native addition requires an additional algorithm with its own complexity.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cis autodrag posted:

he's depending on the fact that adding very large numbers larger than the processor's native addition requires an additional algorithm with its own complexity.

ya i'm looking for a source that lays out why its imperative we consider that for this, because as far as i can tell, the bigO of recrusive fibonacci is said to be O(2^n) in the general case. i'm really just curious.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also everything that touches memory has an extra O(sqrt(n)) on it but basically nobody acknowledges this and i only just recently saw a compelling proof of it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol if you think computer science has anything to do with computer hardware

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

it totally doesnt. in my algos class i read a paper where they published the first o(n) median-finding algorithm but when you read it its o(n) because they don't mention the constant factor of like 828748383.45 on the front. cs algorithm research at this point is more about researchwank algorithms that vacuously improve asymptotic analysis while being completely impractical for something other than pseudocode on paper.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
back to bitching about this recruiter, when i talked to him on thursday he's like "ill email you the health benefits information tomorrow and put your offer in the mail". never got an email. im not getting that fuckin offer letter for like a month i bet. this dude has made the whole process way more nerve wracking than necessary and if anyone asks me about him im going to spill so much tea.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cis autodrag posted:

back to bitching about this recruiter, when i talked to him on thursday he's like "ill email you the health benefits information tomorrow and put your offer in the mail". never got an email. im not getting that fuckin offer letter for like a month i bet. this dude has made the whole process way more nerve wracking than necessary and if anyone asks me about him im going to spill so much tea.

It's combination of them being a little bit slow probably due to their workload, and you being very stressed about it.

Chill, figgies will come

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

that's way data-oriented design is good

also anyone who suggests that a linked-list is the correct answer to a problem is wrong 99% of the time

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Y'all mother fuckers misusing n is driving me up a wall.

If you're going to put multiple things into one complexity at least have the good sense to use different variables

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The_Franz posted:

that's way data-oriented design is good

also anyone who suggests that a linked-list is the correct answer to a problem is wrong 99% of the time

you mean infinity cache misses for easy insertions isn't a good tradeoff?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

apseudonym posted:

If you're going to put multiple things into one complexity at least have the good sense to use different variables

standard CS complexity analysis usually assumes all operations take the same amount of time

but if you have two inputs then yes you should be using m as well. like, n*m operations to hit everything in a matrix or whatever

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

i had to hound my recruiter for like a month between verbal offer and e-sign on the dotted line

complications included:

having to redo my resume and reapply for the position because my paper resume didn't match the online submission exactly

having to apply to another position because their job offer software would not let them make me an offer at the agreed upon figgies for the req ID i first applied for

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

you mean infinity cache misses for easy insertions isn't a good tradeoff?

there are no cache misses in theoreticalville

also the hookers and booze are free

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

apseudonym posted:

addition on arbitrarily sized binary values is O(b) where b is the number of bits in the number. b is O(n) for the nth fibonacci number, so adding the n-1th and n-2th fibonacci numbers together is going to be O(n)

nth fibonacci is kind of interesting because the complexity of arithmetic operations has to scale with n

cis autodrag posted:

its memorial day weekend chill out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The_Franz posted:

also the hookers and booze are free

the perfectly spherical part is kinda awkward though

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

i had to hound my recruiter for like a month between verbal offer and e-sign on the dotted line

i did this with Epic but instead of sending me the offer they told me to get lost

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Shaman Linavi posted:

i did this with Epic but instead of sending me the offer they told me to get lost

bullet dodged ?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FamDav posted:

its memorial day weekend chill out

id be more chill if he hadn't gone mia after emailing to ask if i could phone call that day 3 times in the last couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jre posted:

bullet dodged ?

confirmed. unless it was the games company i guess?

• Locked thread