Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I described what happened in the chapter to you my dude.

Sorry, I took it the wrong way when you put pink in scarequotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Namtab posted:

Sorry, I took it the wrong way when you put pink in scarequotes.

It is gravy my pal. I used them because I still wasn't sure which character you had meant as you were mixing them up! :shobon:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Phinx is the best Spider and I hope his fight with Hisoka is cool.

Feitan is the worst Spider and I hope he gets punked.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Phinx is the best Spider and I hope his fight with Hisoka is cool.

Feitan is the worst Spider and I hope he gets punked.

Phinks is great because he has no eyebrows and his bad at counting. I like Feitan and his good pal Phinks. Franklin is the worst bad most boring one. Yawnarama.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I like Phinx a lot and I hope he gets to be killed by Kurapika. Also I hope he doesn't have another power and that wind-up punch is really all he has, he's just super good at doing it.

Machi's probably my favorite spider after she caught Killua's hand with her rock hard abs.

The worst was Sharlnark and I'm glad he is dead, the new worst is Kalluto. Or the new off-panel recruits that will probably be chumped in a single panel by Hisoka.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I liked Shalnark a lot because apart from all the murdering and stealing he was a very sweet boy. When Uvo is fighting the Shadow Beasts Shalnark compliments them as "they're pretty good at using their nen, they're doing fine" which I always liked. He was really self-aware too because he realised Kortopi an Paku were more important than he or I think Nobunaga due to ability rarity and had no hesitation in saying it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I liked Shalnark for the same reason I liked Rurouni Kenshin's Hojo: in an organization that's otherwise mostly just dudes who are crazy good at fighting, he's the guy who handles information and logistics, and is thus useful in a capacity beyond his ability to trade blows with people. I'm also fond of bad guys who are cheerful and have people-puppet powers, and hey, he satisfies those conditions too.

Just about the only thing I didn't like about him was his Super Saiyan secret mode.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Shalnark didn't like it when best boy Uvo kissed him and that's unacceptable. Also his power was lame and his super Saiyan thing was the lamest power in the series.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I didn't mind Super Saiyan Shalnark at all because it seemed to have a pretty big downside and he was murdered before it was used again. The worst power is Emperor Time which makes sense because it's used by the worst character.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Super Saiyan Shalnark is dumb because it goes agains the grain of his character. Not that characters can't or shouldn't surprise you sometimes, but it felt totally disjointed with the rest of his personality and fighting style. If Togashi wanted to give him a power-up, he should've tried to come up with something more in keeping with the character's previous performance.

Emperor Time is also kinda handwavey but I'm more cool with that because Kurapika's fights are always about his internal struggle rather than any external threat.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The worst spider is the guy with the holes in him

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Namtab posted:

I thought she was called kortopi because I have bad anime name recall.

Ah, fair enough. I can somewhat relate to being really bad with names.

EmmyOk posted:

I didn't mind Super Saiyan Shalnark at all because it seemed to have a pretty big downside and he was murdered before it was used again. The worst power is Emperor Time which makes sense because it's used by the worst character.

How dare you.

Bad Seafood posted:

Super Saiyan Shalnark is dumb because it goes agains the grain of his character. Not that characters can't or shouldn't surprise you sometimes, but it felt totally disjointed with the rest of his personality and fighting style. If Togashi wanted to give him a power-up, he should've tried to come up with something more in keeping with the character's previous performance.

Yeah, that power up was odd. Also, did the "only one Manipulator per target" thing come up again after that? It feels like a rule that might be important but as far as I can recall it basically has only mattered for that one fight, first as why Shalnark got captured and then as a reason for his power up.

Namtab posted:

Bonolenov rules, even if his design got a bit toned down since his first appearance in the manga (where it looked like he was wrapped in metal or something and not just bandages).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It was interesting because the he's someone who likes to be calculated an in control effectively having to cede control which makes him stronger. As a sacrifice goes it's not too bad and he died before we really got to see it so I don't mind it.

Emperor Time and Kurapika in general is far more egregious because it goes against pretty much everything Togashi put in place for someone to have strong nen. His only restriction is on Chain Jail nothing else not even his promise chain which is effectively unbeatable if it hits you. His dowsing chain is incredibly useful and so is his healing one before you even look at Emperor Time. Emperor Time is perhaps the most OP ability in the show and Kurapika pretty much has no restriction on how much he can use it because he can pretty much turn his eyes scarlet at will. His struggle is really dull and uninteresting and he's the least interesting part of Yorknew despite being the focus of it. I just don't think Togashi has done anything interesting with his abilities, his growth, or his motivations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
All the spiders are good actually

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

EmmyOk posted:

It was interesting because the he's someone who likes to be calculated an in control effectively having to cede control which makes him stronger. As a sacrifice goes it's not too bad and he died before we really got to see it so I don't mind it.

Emperor Time and Kurapika in general is far more egregious because it goes against pretty much everything Togashi put in place for someone to have strong nen. His only restriction is on Chain Jail nothing else not even his promise chain which is effectively unbeatable if it hits you. His dowsing chain is incredibly useful and so is his healing one before you even look at Emperor Time. Emperor Time is perhaps the most OP ability in the show and Kurapika pretty much has no restriction on how much he can use it because he can pretty much turn his eyes scarlet at will. His struggle is really dull and uninteresting and he's the least interesting part of Yorknew despite being the focus of it. I just don't think Togashi has done anything interesting with his abilities, his growth, or his motivations.

In any other series Emperor Time would be broken as gently caress, since it's basically Kakashi's Sharingan. But not in this series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
emperor time was only amazing until pakunoda gave her life to tell the other spiders about it. all they had to do is send non-spiders after kurapika, and they know what he looks like, where he works and who his friends are.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Kurapica isn't really that strong in practice, IMO. I don't think he's ever used Judgment Chain against an opponent who wasn't already restrained, and he becomes seriously ill when he uses Emperor Time heavily.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Namtab posted:

Do you think he has holes drilled into his weiner?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

TriffTshngo posted:

All the spiders are good actually

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

It's mentioned that males of his tribe are circumcised, which would seem...redundant if there was a hole there too. Also, they presumably don't want to risk sterilizing themselves.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shalnark's self puppeting was there to set up pitous self puppetting.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Kurapika is good and I'm glad the current arc features him and Leorio. He's slightly OP using his Emperor Time but so is Killua's electricity skill.

I've noticed a trend where the higher the childhood PTSD/trauma the higher your special skills ability range goes up. Coincidence? I think not.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm wondering what's going to happen once Hisoka runs into Kalluto. He's probably not going to want the Zoldyck family to come steam roll him, even though he'd love to have a dust up with them for sure.

Kurapika sucks a lot. He even breaks the Sawashiro rule, he's that bad.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

What's that?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anyone who is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro is best girl.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Kurapika is best girl, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alder posted:

Kurapika is good and I'm glad the current arc features him and Leorio. He's slightly OP using his Emperor Time but so is Killua's electricity skill.

I've noticed a trend where the higher the childhood PTSD/trauma the higher your special skills ability range goes up. Coincidence? I think not.

broken people have an innate advantage when it comes to nen. i think it is kind of sad that this includes gon, even though he had a very nice childhood prior to becoming a hunter.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kurapika's fine but I'm gonna be mad if Leorio doesn't finally get his chance to shine.

I mean punching Ging was definitely a highlight but come on Togashi, let him do more stuff.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

broken people have an innate advantage when it comes to nen. i think it is kind of sad that this includes gon, even though he had a very nice childhood prior to becoming a hunter.

Reminds me what's Leorio's nen ability again? He always seems to be the person who kept everyone grounded in stressful events.

Also, I feel like broken people tend to have a devil-may-care attitude towards themselves and others see: Chrollo. I'm still waiting for the official Hisoka backstory now.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Leoreo's abilities:
- Haggling
- Emission Punch
- Possibly using emission to figure out layouts as theorised by Ging after being punched by him that one time
- Being tall

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

No but his natural dickhole has the diameter of a tin can

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Alder posted:

Reminds me what's Leorio's nen ability again? He always seems to be the person who kept everyone grounded in stressful events.

Also, I feel like broken people tend to have a devil-may-care attitude towards themselves and others see: Chrollo. I'm still waiting for the official Hisoka backstory now.

We saw his backstory. He was always a predator

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Alder posted:

I'm still waiting for the official Hisoka backstory now.

http://readms.net/r/one_shot/Hisoka%20Origin%20Story/3450/1

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That backstory isn't canon or at least not confirmed as it yet and even though Togashi is aware of it it'd be quite strange that one of the most significant character's backstory is given in a few rough sketches posted on the internet. Personally I'd rather no backstory for Hisoka because he works better as an absolute existence.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

emperor time was only amazing until pakunoda gave her life to tell the other spiders about it. all they had to do is send non-spiders after kurapika, and they know what he looks like, where he works and who his friends are.

That is incorrect because only Chain Jail is restricted to the Phantom Troupe none of his other abilities are. He has also shown that he can pretty much enter his red eye state at will. When using Emperor Time his healing cross could fix a shattered arm in seconds and his dowsing chain could detect if someone was lying through a recording. It's incredibly over powered and being a bit tuckered out afterwards isn't much of a downside. We haven't seen enough of Killua's Godspeed to say if it's OP but it isn't nearly as bad as Emperor Time in that regard. We've already seen one weakness in it, it uses up his charge incredibly quickly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

EmmyOk posted:

not even his promise chain which is effectively unbeatable if it hits you.

In order for Judgement Chain to take effect he has to effectively stab you in the heart first. If he's in a position where he can freely stab you in the heart, then all his abilities are irrelevant: he's already won. He'd be just as dangerous with a pocket knife or even his bare hands. Now, the fact that he can control people's actions by holding a sword to their heart is certainly helpful, but the ability to conjure a sword with which to threaten them isn't exactly the broken part of his powerset.

Frankly, almost all of it comes down to him being good at Enhancing while in super mode.

^^^^The Dowsing Chain being able to detect lying just strikes me as the sort of weird power people like to give their conjured tools. If that were his only power it wouldn't seem all that out of place.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

EmmyOk posted:

That backstory isn't canon or at least not confirmed as it yet and even though Togashi is aware of it it'd be quite strange that one of the most significant character's backstory is given in a few rough sketches posted on the internet. Personally I'd rather no backstory for Hisoka because he works better as an absolute existence.

It's not so much an origin story as a story about when he invented Bungee Gum.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Clarste posted:

In order for Judgement Chain to take effect he has to effectively stab you in the heart first. If he's in a position where he can freely stab you in the heart, then all his abilities are irrelevant: he's already won. He'd be just as dangerous with a pocket knife or even his bare hands. Now, the fact that he can control people's actions by holding a sword to their heart is certainly helpful, but the ability to conjure a sword with which to threaten them isn't exactly the broken part of his powerset.

Frankly, almost all of it comes down to him being good at Enhancing while in super mode.

^^^^The Dowsing Chain being able to detect lying just strikes me as the sort of weird power people like to give their conjured tools. If that were his only power it wouldn't seem all that out of place.

Right it's not that each individual power is ridiculous it's that he has so many that by themselves would effectively make up someone's single ability. I'm not sure if Judgment Chain needs to hit you in the heart though, it looks like once it breaks the skin it just makes a beeline for your heart. It is game over once he hits you with it sure but it's not the ability to kill someone but that you can enforce a promise that's useful. Sealing Chrollo's nen and making it impossible for Pakunoda to explain what was happening are great examples of how strong it is. By itself that's a pretty solid power, on top of that though he has a chain that can detect lying and find things, an incredibly strong and long conjured chain, chain jail which granted is limited, a chain that can heal, and Emperor Time. Every single one of those is either a complete power by itself or fairly close to one but Kurapika has them all with a restriction and oath that doesn't scale to it at all. Also until the boat where he has been pretty good he was less interesting than Sasuke AKA the one time he hasn't been dealing with his main focus.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, it's not like you need restrictions to have more powers. You just need, well, the creativity to do so. Hisoka for example has both Bungie Gum and Deceitful Texture. These are just two entirely separate powers that have nothing to do with each other. He practiced both and learned how to do both. There's simply never been a rule that you can only have one nen power. Each individual power is naturally going to be more or less powerful based on its own restrictions.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

For sure but it's five versus two and both of Hisoka's tend to be used together quite a lot. They're also not nearly as broad as each of Kurapika's and are individually much weaker than his. Kurapika effectively has no restriction on his abilities which allows him to use the ET versions of them quite freely. Hisoka's also have the benefit of not seeming that strong but getting used in a variety of cool and interesting ways whereas Kurapika's are just so dull. God he sucks so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kurapika's at maximum power only when fighting spiders. It isn't just chain jail, it's also just how nen works. I doubt his self healing would work as well on non-spider wounds.