Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

iospace posted:

Someone has to help fill out the field :shrug:

And they already are. Especially after all those times people complained that Conor Daly "deserves" a full-time seat because his dad's cool, I guess? And he's American, I suppose?? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

I have a hunch Jolyon Palmer is heading IndyCar way soon enough.

I'm mildly surprised Maldonado hasn't taken a punt.

Maldonado was offered an F1 ride and he said no (I'm guessing it was probably Sauber), so I don't see him going to Indy. Palmer I can see making the move when his contract ends (this is his last year) if he can't move up in terms of teams (he won't get a good team).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Maldonado was rumored a few times. I gather that the PVDSA sponsorship isn't what it used to be given the situation in Venezuela right now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Palmer is so insanely bad. He makes Chilton look like Schumacher. Ralf Schumacher, but still.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Chilton is bad but at least he doesn't tear up equipment and is decently consistent. Which is the best you could say for a pay driver.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Stroll is possibly the worst driver I've seen in a top end motorsport that didn't include people who pay for Ferraris

Edit: poo poo thought this was the F1 thread. gently caress it leaving it. Stroll is bad. And Max Chilton is a better driver than him.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Maldonado was rumored a few times. I gather that the PVDSA sponsorship isn't what it used to be given the situation in Venezuela right now.

yeah, I get the feeling that Maldonado's account is running pretty dry right about now given the state of the Venezuelan economy.

Palmer joining and IndyCar running one of his dad's tracks in the UK may not be a huge surprise in the future...?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I think we all laughed at Chilton in F1 but in retrospect trying to show your skills in a Marussia must be impossible.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dsriggs posted:

Because he's had 3 top 10 finishes in 24 races with a best of 9th?

That was with BHA and Pre-2017 Coyne that's pretty drat respectable.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Basticle posted:

I think we all laughed at Chilton in F1 but in retrospect trying to show your skills in a Marussia must be impossible.

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure Rossi felt the same way, which lead him to Indy in a "I'll see if anyone will pick me up next year" move.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

No team could willing to sign Maldonado could afford him.

p.s. Ralf owns.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Minto Took posted:

No team could willing to sign Maldonado could afford him.

p.s. Ralf owns.

Apparently, he had an offer from an F1 team but it wasn't Mercedes or Ferrari, so he said no.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

iospace posted:

Apparently, he had an offer from an F1 team but it wasn't Mercedes or Ferrari, so he said no.

This is also according to Pastor.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That is true.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dentist toy box posted:

He was also driving for Herta before they Merged with Andretti. So the car was pretty bad.

Yeah. It probably says something that Gabby had better results at Indy with a team that had never raced a lap before Sunday than he did with pre-merger BHA.

Harding is gonna run all the races that use the speedway bodywork, and apparently are planning on running full season with him next year with D&R's crew. I'm glad, think he deserves another shot after how he did in Lights.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

:siren: Banquet is on. :siren:

https://livestream.com/accounts/17974260/events/5340319/player

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 30, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

I can guarantee you that corporate Toyota is NOT happy at all. The Honda/Toyota rivalry makes Chevy/Ford look comically tame, they fuckin' hate each other and its like a deep cultural thing. For example, Honda blackballed Comptech while i was there after a 20 year history of it being a Honda factory supported race team because Comptech signed a deal to build Toyota IRL engines after Honda had already turned them down. A permanent blackball that put the company out of business eventually (also one of the owners was a prick, but yeah)

Both of em have spent crazy amounts of money to try to show up the other in racing, especially with a Japanese driver at the wheel. Honda was able to grab front pages in Japan with a Japanese driver, while Toyota failed at LeMans. I guarantee you they are having meetings right now about pulling every stop out for Lemans this year.

Rumor I heard from a friend was that Subaru was interested pre-500 in badging the Cosworth fwiw.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

By this point Pastor is like the single dude blaming every girl he's gone on a first date with for not making it to a second date.

If he wanted to race and had a budget we'd clearly see him in LMP2 or GTE or GT3 or Indy or even Super Formula. His supposed budget alone would be enough to put a car on the grid in any of those series. But here he is, not racing. There has to be more going on, and I'm guessing it's because his bank balance isn't as healthy as it once was.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

njsykora posted:

The ACO will subsidise LMP1-H until they go bankrupt. That they said new teams coming into LMP1 couldn't use hybrids unless they built them themselves shows that's a hill they're willing to die on.

Subsidize? With what? Peugeot shuttered its team on the eve of a season and they didn't (couldn't have) saved it. The OEMs provide the series and the organizers with support, not the other way around. Even if you win overall you only get about $300k.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DaleCoyneRacing/status/869345906818199553

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah... I'm not going to agree with Alonso getting it, Jones put in some drat work.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mmmm, that's some fine grade sea salt.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Rookie of the Year prize goes for the entire event, not just the race and Alonso was styling on Jones every day until his engine popped

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Mmmm, that's some fine grade sea salt.

Eh, they're right, if only because calling Alonso a rookie is hilariously stupid.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also true.

Ah well, I look forward to seeing more of Ed Jones down the line.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Ed's got a great future ahead of him.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I've only gotten back into F1 this season after having not followed it much over the last 5 years, and Palmer really does seem like a whiny and phenomenally untalented twat.

But if him in Indycar gets Brands Hatch on the schedule, then that's cool.

Juicy Juice
Nov 12, 2011

Where we're going, we don't need roads...

dsriggs posted:

Rookie of the Year prize goes for the entire event, not just the race and Alonso was styling on Jones every day until his engine popped
Precisely why Jackie Stewart won it in 1966 even though Graham Hill and Mel Kenyon finished ahead of him at the end of the race.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Dixon will never live down the Taco Bell Incident. :allears:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

"Dixon, if you went to Steak 'n Shake, you would've been fine." - Graham Rahal

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Could've been even worse if he went to Burger Chef.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Is it just me or did TK throw a little shade at Hamilton when he was on stage?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

"Dixon, if you went to Steak 'n Shake, you would've been fine." - Graham Rahal

I am now sad that I can't watch the banquet while traveling.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bentai posted:

Is it just me or did TK throw a little shade at Hamilton when he was on stage?

What did he say? :allears:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/869383731076890625

Goddamnit McLaren.

Get Alonso over here full time.

iospace posted:

What did he say? :allears:

ditto. can't get the stream to work ><.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/869383731076890625

Goddamnit McLaren.

Get Alonso over here full time.

ditto. can't get the stream to work ><.

That guy is a loving class act all around.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

TK said to the effect of how he was impressed at how Alonso's humble attitude, unlike some people in F1, like the guy who finished 2nd in a two car race.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

quote:

"You were humble, not like your other fellow F1 drivers that said some comments this month, but uh.. What are you gonna say? The guy raced 2 cars last year and he finished second."

*edit*
TK also joked that he made Sato's in-cockpit scream his phone's ringtone. :D

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Aw nobody laughed at Sato's gentlemen driver/silver driver joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Oh. OOOH.
Man I just got that. :(

• Locked thread