Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

the trump tutelage posted:

Who wants to hear my thoughts on cultural appropriation?

They're as important as the paper about poutine and much less important than the papers about canadas future role in a century where people decide they are anti-left because one hippy says "cats should not be pets"

tbh poutine ads for mcdonalds and "CANADIAN" branding is gross trash but the appropriative elements aren't what's causing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I haven't been following the cultural appropriation argument. Why is it bad now?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

cowofwar posted:

Whip's going to have a hell of a job making sure all 44 peeps are present before a confidence motion.

Showing up to work once a year: a challenge for elected officials.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Evis posted:

I haven't been following the cultural appropriation argument. Why is it bad now?

Because this is what modern left-wing political movements have become.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Can't wait to hear the scorching hot takes from right wing media (and probably the BC Libs too) about the leftist coup in BC and how this is undemocratic.

On a related note, the federal coalition "crisis" (lol) was almost 9 years ago already :stare:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Forums for healthy discussion founded on mutual respect? Leaders who pick their battles wisely and don't needlessly antagonize others? I agree. Niki rules.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 30, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Counter-take: being anti-poutine is just a mask for quebec-bashing anglo supremecism.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

THC posted:

Forums for healthy discussion founded on mutual respect? Leaders who pick their battles wisely and don't needlessly antagonize others? I agree. Niki rules.

Sure it's picking your battles wisely to avoid a media shitstorm, but it's also caving into menial needless demands at the expense of your own intelligence.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Evis posted:

In terms of things like aboriginal religious headdresses being worn while partying it up at Coachella, it makes sense that it's kind of disrespectful taking an item of cultural and religious significance to a historically poo poo on people and making a mockery of it.

In terms of poutine it's probably bullshit though. I can't find the impact factor of the journal that article got published in, but I'm guessing "CuiZine: The Journal of Canadian Food Cultures" isn't going to shake up the foundations of modern thought.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 30, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
This is slightly better:

https://twitter.com/Cam_Oflage/status/869350291518488577

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

attackmole posted:

Sure it's picking your battles wisely to avoid a media shitstorm, but it's also caving into menial needless demands at the expense of your own intelligence.

How does deleting a tweet make her less intelligent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

THC posted:

She also apologized, and that is bad

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

In terms of things like aboriginal religious headdresses being worn while partying it up at Coachella, it makes sense that it's kind of disrespectful taking an item of cultural and religious significance to a historically poo poo on people and making a mockery of it.

In terms of poutine it's probably bullshit though.
Seriously, who's actually angry about "cultural appropriation" when it comes to loving food, outside of tumblr circle-jerks? The entire world history of cuisine is different cultural groups taking good food ideas from each other and making them their own. Should only south americans be allowed to like potatoes? What's the statute of limitations?

THC posted:

If a you accept that a white person referencing a Beyonce song is beyond the pale, then the term "appropriation" has lost all meaning and deserves to be mocked. I would argue that you shouldn't and hopefully it hasn't, but the loony fringe of the left is trying their damnedest to make it so...

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

infernal machines posted:

She also apologized, and that is bad

People should be proud of her for upholding the Canadian spirit

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I accept that not every single thing has to be a Jordan Peterson tiny anthill to die on and by the way please donate to my patreon, and remember to like & subscribe

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cultural appropriation is a reasonable complaint in some circumstances, but it seems that considerably more often it's just a tool used by assholes to bludgeon people into feeling bad about something totally benign and harmless.

It makes me feel bad for the people who are actually being mocked and insulted by real things like white people in native headdresses because they end up getting lumped in with idiots who whine about poutine or Beyonce songs, and then everybody loses. A lot of people don't really care about helping victims of injustice as much as they do about getting to feel better and more just than someone else, even if it's over an issue of absolutely zero relevance, such as poutine.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

Seriously, who's actually angry about "cultural appropriation" when it comes to loving food, outside of tumblr circle-jerks? The entire world history of cuisine is different cultural groups taking good food ideas from each other and making them their own. Should only south americans be allowed to like potatoes? What's the statute of limitations?

There's legit arguments here like when people talk poo poo about a cuisine until white people start cooking it. Like when your corner Ethiopian place is shat on but some dude fusing it with the essence of dreams for $600 a plate has redeemed and saved it from the savages

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

THC posted:

I accept that not every single thing has to be a Jordan Peterson tiny anthill to die on and by the way please donate to my patreon, and remember to like & subscribe

Think about how much funding she'd raise!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't see how everyone loses. You can still tweet Beyoncé lyrics if you want (I'd rather you didn't though)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I think there's an argument that Sainted Cutie Niki turning things more to the left is actually a good and cool use of those lyrics. We should ask Beyonce herself IMO

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

THC posted:

There's nothing wrong with deleting a tweet or apologising, I just don't think that catering to the .0001% of people who have an issue with white people saying "to the left" is a particularly good look.

I mean if someone went to my twitter and was told me to delete a tweet saying "Hi, my name is ____" I could, but.....why? I guess that's a dumb example, I'm just trying to make up something off the top of my head that's as menial as a political slogan of "to the left". It's just so benign that acknowledging a grievance with it seems more implicative of a lack of critical thinking than anything else to me.

To be clear, I'm not trying to comment on broad policy, I literally just think that specific tweet interaction is dumb.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

THC posted:

A lot of people (Trump voters) think appearing to be a strong man despite having no one respect you and despite not being able to pass any laws is better than appearing willing to compromise on the most minor issue.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
It's like how politicians are rewarded for never flip flopping despite the objective benefit of being able to base policy on data which could change.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

attackmole posted:

There's nothing wrong with deleting a tweet or apologising, I just don't think that catering to the .0001% of people who have an issue with white people saying "to the left" is a particularly good look.
The 0.000000000001% of people who care about the tweet deletion are just outraged, yes I know (and I'm sure they were all planning to vote for Niki before this)

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
It's just so lame. Now Niki Ashton can never karaoke straight outta compton because if somebody records it, her political career will be over.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

"Flip flop" makes me think of John Kerry and what could have been :smith:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

cowofwar posted:

A lot of people (Trump voters) think appearing to be a strong man despite having no one respect you and despite not being able to pass any laws is better than appearing willing to compromise on the most minor issue.
That's sort of what I was trying to tease out of them yeah. As if anyone upset by this was ever going to vote for Niki Ashton the candidate for every minority she can name in the time allotment

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ChairMaster posted:

Cultural appropriation is a reasonable complaint in some circumstances, but it seems that considerably more often it's just a tool used by assholes to bludgeon people into feeling bad about something totally benign and harmless.

It makes me feel bad for the people who are actually being mocked and insulted by real things like white people in native headdresses because they end up getting lumped in with idiots who whine about poutine or Beyonce songs, and then everybody loses. A lot of people don't really care about helping victims of injustice as much as they do about getting to feel better and more just than someone else, even if it's over an issue of absolutely zero relevance, such as poutine.

Yes. It's an entirely reasonable concept that gets reduced to nonsense people people looking to score internet outrage points.

And I do think it's worrying when even the most ludicrous accusation of "appropriation" starts to prompt immediate capitulation and apologies out of fear of being at the centre of a controversy. In a sane world the proper response to being accused of Cultural Appropriation for referencing a Beyonce song would be to completely ignore the tweet and have no one who matters care, because it's so obviously a dumb complaint.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Entropic posted:

And I do think it's worrying when even the most ludicrous accusation of "appropriation" starts to prompt immediate capitulation and apologies out of fear of being at the centre of a controversy.
Reminder: you're talking about a loving tweet. It's not like she's leading allied forces at the battle of the bulge

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Who cares? We're not mad, we're just saying it's dumb. I'd vote for her anyways cause I like the NDP's platform, I just think it's a *silly twitter interaction*.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It's just so lame. Now Niki Ashton can never karaoke straight outta compton because if somebody records it, her political career will be over.

In a way cooler alternate universe, all political contests are decided by whoever can do the best karaoke version of gangster rap songs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lightning Lord posted:

There's legit arguments here like when people talk poo poo about a cuisine until white people start cooking it. Like when your corner Ethiopian place is shat on but some dude fusing it with the essence of dreams for $600 a plate has redeemed and saved it from the savages

There are definitely legitimate arguments there, but when idiots looking to score points reduce it to a reflexive knee-jerk "white person making any non-european recipe = HITLER" like some people do, it's completely counter-productive and makes it easier to ignore those legitimate questions.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

like maybe if she "capitulated" on something that actually loving mattered. maybe then.

but no. it wasn't that. it was a tweet

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Entropic posted:

The specific argument in this case is not about simply eating the food it's claiming ownership of it, i.e. poutine being a French-Canadian dish or being a Canadian dish. And obviously it's a bigger can of worms because of Quebec/francophone culture within Canada.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The tweet and the response to the tweet aren't what I'm talking about, I don't give a crap about the tweet, other than the fact that they shouldn't have made such an embarrassing and outdated reference in the first place. The people that lose from all this garbage are the people whose genuine complaints get lumped in with people who say that white people shouldn't be able to make rap music or eat poutine outside of Quebec or reference some old song from 2006. Like it nor not, when "cultural appropriation" becomes a term that refers to all that hand-wringing garbage, people who have legitimate grievances get lumped in with that garbage too.

It may not be fair, and in whatever just world we're pretending like we should be living in certainly the burden of such a distinction does not lie with the people with legitimate grievances, but in the real world that's how language and ideas evolve and function, and language and ideas are important.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

THC posted:

like maybe if she "capitulated" on something that actually loving mattered. maybe then.

but no. it wasn't that. it was a tweet

It doesn't have to be super important to be dumb as hell.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If we actually wanted to piss off quebec we'd serve poutine everywhere but give it an anglo name.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Butcher posted:

In a way cooler alternate universe, all political contests are decided by whoever can do the best karaoke version of gangster rap songs.

Don't know if I'd care about watching the actual performances but I would be really intrigued to know how each party decided to replace or ignore all the offensive words.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lol Scheer's first day in QP is just "high tax! High spending!"x100

Keep it up little guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Entropic posted:

If we actually wanted to piss off quebec we'd serve poutine everywhere but give it an anglo name.

Fries from French Canada. So how about... French Fries?