Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spookydonut posted:

Yeah but if your country uses 110V because of a smear campaign you're gonna have double the amperage to get the same wattage aren't you?

Still better than the reasoning used for 50 Hz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lime Tonics posted:

Out of wire? Use an old computer power supply, one trick they don't want you to know!

Confession time:
I got a big ol' window rattler for free and took it to my share house.
We had it on the floor in a doorway to the outside, and cut a sheet of chipboard to fit in the doorway and "seal" it.

Anyway, the wire was cut off and I didn't have a plug that wasn't moulded, so I opened an ATX power supply, soldered the air con wires to the mains side and plugged the ATX into the wall with a kettle plug.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TVs Ian posted:

Pretty sure if you push a statue onto that, a door will open somewhere nearby.

Chard posted:

I want that rectangle in the bottom right to be a trapdoor.
:ms:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Platystemon posted:

Still better than the reasoning used for 50 Hz.

So I hear different parts of Japan use not only different voltages but also combinations with different frequencies for their mains in different areas. Sounds fun if you ever move house, do you just leave your appliances behind and hope you inherit good ones?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I don't think it's as much of a problem as it would seem, especially nowadays -- sure, old CRTs and wall clocks and maybe a few Commodore-era computers that used the mains frequency as a clock signal might be iffy, but there's not really all that much that gives a poo poo about frequency these days, is there? Modern computers and TVs run on DC internally and can probably run on anything within reason (a lot of PSUs don't even have the lil' 120/240 switch anymore), heating elements don't care, and AC motors (kitchen mixer, power tools) just run a bit slower/faster. Only place I've seen it be a problem is Techmoan's retrotech reviews -- an Englishman who buys a lot of old audiophile stuff from the US to make youtube videos about can easily get stepdown transformers for UK 240v to 110/120v, but some of the record players run a bit slow and need some gaffer tape wrapped around a drive spindle or a different gear/pulley to change the gear ratio.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Delivery McGee posted:

I don't think it's as much of a problem as it would seem, especially nowadays -- sure, old CRTs and wall clocks and maybe a few Commodore-era computers that used the mains frequency as a clock signal might be iffy, but there's not really all that much that gives a poo poo about frequency these days, is there? Modern computers and TVs run on DC internally and can probably run on anything within reason (a lot of PSUs don't even have the lil' 120/240 switch anymore), heating elements don't care, and AC motors (kitchen mixer, power tools) just run a bit slower/faster. Only place I've seen it be a problem is Techmoan's retrotech reviews -- an Englishman who buys a lot of old audiophile stuff from the US to make youtube videos about can easily get stepdown transformers for UK 240v to 110/120v, but some of the record players run a bit slow and need some gaffer tape wrapped around a drive spindle or a different gear/pulley to change the gear ratio.

Techmoan actually runs a 12v power supply into a 120v/60hz inverter to get around the frequency problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dgO0HdPMds

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
(Crosspost from Fix It Fast)
Check out my dad's (attempted) solution to a leaky PVC pipe:

That's fiberglass, wrapped around the pipe and infused with epoxy, held on with a million zipties. I'm sure it'll hold. :downs:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

(Crosspost from Fix It Fast)
Check out my dad's (attempted) solution to a leaky PVC pipe:

That's fiberglass, wrapped around the pipe and infused with epoxy, held on with a million zipties. I'm sure it'll hold. :downs:

Is your dad an engineer? Why spend 5 minutes and $3 on a couple of connectors and a length of pipe when you can spend half a day inventing a complicated solution with garbage you have laying around? This is typical of engineers I know.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Is your dad an engineer? Why spend 5 minutes and $3 on a couple of connectors and a length of pipe when you can spend half a day inventing a complicated solution with garbage you have laying around? This is typical of engineers I know.

How would you get the pipe into place when you don't have enough room to flex the pipe to get fittings on? Are there zero-clearance fittings or something that you could use?

And he's a doctor. I can only hope that he does a better job of fixing peoples' internal plumbing than he does of fixing this stuff.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How would you get the pipe into place when you don't have enough room to flex the pipe to get fittings on? Are there zero-clearance fittings or something that you could use?

And he's a doctor. I can only hope that he does a better job of fixing peoples' internal plumbing than he does of fixing this stuff.

I actually replied to you in the other thread. I've chopped up a few sprinkler lines. I have a bin of spare PVC couplers in my garage. It will flex, dig up another foot of pipe if you need to, and cut out a good enough sized section. There's about 0.5" of play or so in the couplers.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'd use a union, but they make sliding fittings for this sort of thing. I don't have any experience with the latter, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Delivery McGee posted:

AC motors (kitchen mixer, power tools) just run a bit slower/faster.

If the speed of the motor doesn’t particularly matter, running a 50 Hz motor at 60 Hz yields the same torque with 20% more speed, and consequently 20% more power. It will produce more heat, but if it’s driving its own cooling fan that more than compensates. If the wires leading to the motor can handle 20% more current , everything is fine.

Running a 60 Hz motor at 50 Hz can be more of an issue. You’ve lost 20% speed and therefore power. What’s more, parts of the motor may magnetically saturate. Now it’s running loud, inefficient, and hot. What’s more is that its cooling fan is less effective and by more than 20%.

You can use a transformer to give the motor less voltage and take it out of saturation, but that cuts torque. The combination of less speed and less torque means the motor has 60% of the power it had on 60 Hz.

This isn’t just a thing that happens with conversions. Purpose-built 50 Hz motors (and transformers) are substantially larger than 60 Hz motors (and transformers) of the same power. DC equipment needs larger capacitors in 50 Hz land. Lights flicker more perceptibly.

But it’s all worth it because “50” is a rounder number. :downs:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 28, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is why everything should just run on 120vac at 400hz.

:smuggo:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MrYenko posted:

You fukken what matey?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cakesmith handyman posted:

You fukken what matey?

Aerospergin' http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/electronics/q0219.shtml

edit: oh hey this would be why there's that airplane cabin note just under A440 on the PA and the like.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

glynnenstein posted:

I'd use a union, but they make sliding fittings for this sort of thing. I don't have any experience with the latter, though.

Yeah, in a pinch you can even file, cut, or grind out the stop in the middle of a normal union. You just have to mark the pipe to make sure that the fitting is centered. They make the same kind of thing for copper.
PVC is pretty easy to work with, once you learn the tricks, like the quarter twist when gluing joints. I learned right quick that makes a huge difference in not leaking. The fact that it's flexible makes a lot of stuff so much simpler.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrYenko posted:

400 Hz does indeed allow further decreases in transformer/motor/capacitor size, but it more quickly reaches limits with inductance and skin effect in transmission lines.

These tradeoffs are great for planes, where conductors don’t need to be thick or long, but that’s exactly what’s needed for the mains power grid.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

But it’s all worth it because “50” is a rounder number. :downs:
What is 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, or even 1/12 of 50? Same question for 60. gently caress you metric system.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Crotch Fruit posted:

What is 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, or even 1/12 of 50? Same question for 60. gently caress you metric system base ten counting system

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Crotch Fruit posted:

What is 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, or even 1/12 of 50? Same question for 60. gently caress you metric system.

Now do it with inches.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Now do it with inches.

Not that bad, but I will admit that mm/cm is much easier for smaller or more precise measurements. It's tough to overcome a century or more of imperial inertia.

Also, I just accidentally learned how to multi-quote in the noble app.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Darchangel posted:

Not that bad, but I will admit that mm/cm is much easier for smaller or more precise measurements. It's tough to overcome a century or more of imperial inertia.

Also, I just accidentally learned how to multi-quote in the noble app.

That's exactly why I use metric system in my Tinder profile

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
For inches you just put a " after all the fractions. Or use hundredths/thousandths and be in the same situation as if you were using metric. For other SAE unit the division practically does itself for you.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Darchangel posted:

. It's tough to overcome a century or more of imperial inertia.
Rest of the world managed to do it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Crotch Fruit posted:

Why would you want to know 1/12th or 1/6th of something in a metric system?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Now do it with inches.

Is there any reason inches get divided into 8ths? Is it just the smallest you can go before it's too hard to read on a ruler?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NPR Journalizard posted:

Why would you want to know 1/12th or 1/6th of something in a metric system?
Are you really asking why sometimes engineers might need to divide by three?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Most rulers I see go down to a 1/16th of an inch.

As for why 1/8th or 1/16 in particular, it's going by halves. Half of 1/2 is 1/4, half of that is 1/8, half of that is 1/16.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Nicer tape measures will have the first inch or two divided into 32nds, but besides probably being more expensive to print on the whole tape, it clutters the ability to read the larger divisions clearly.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I now look forward to confounding my Canadian coworkers by adopting the "metric system" and referring to everything in 3/32nds of a meter and the like.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crotch Fruit posted:

For inches you just put a " after all the fractions. Or use hundredths/thousandths and be in the same situation as if you were using metric. For other SAE unit the division practically does itself for you.

Or you talk to an old machinist who does everything in thousandths of an inch and "tenths" which is a tenth of a thousandth (a ten thousandth, 0.0001"). This gets especially infuriating when they're making metric parts, and they say stuff like "we're gonna get the OD of this cylinder to 18mm within a tenth," and that DOESN'T mean 18+-.1mm, it means 18mm +- 0.0001 inches. Then "we'll cut this thread 2mm deep, but we've got 1/64" or so of play."

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

If I hear one loving joke about a concrete block...

Looks like a house for a dwarf.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Or you talk to an old machinist who does everything in thousandths of an inch and "tenths" which is a tenth of a thousandth (a ten thousandth, 0.0001"). This gets especially infuriating when they're making metric parts, and they say stuff like "we're gonna get the OD of this cylinder to 18mm within a tenth," and that DOESN'T mean 18+-.1mm, it means 18mm +- 0.0001 inches. Then "we'll cut this thread 2mm deep, but we've got 1/64" or so of play."

It's only recently that I've learnt "mil" is an imperial unit (thousandth of an inch), when I'm used to it just being verbal shorthand for millimetre. Then this conversation happened with the electricity network:
UKPN: "You need to increase your meter tails to 25 mil"
Me: "OK is that thousandths of an inch or millimetres?"
UKPN: "I don't know"

Great, thanks. (given that 25mil is 0.6mm I'm going to say she meant mm)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Arachnamus posted:

It's only recently that I've learnt "mil" is an imperial unit (thousandth of an inch), when I'm used to it just being verbal shorthand for millimetre. Then this conversation happened with the electricity network:
UKPN: "You need to increase your meter tails to 25 mil"
Me: "OK is that thousandths of an inch or millimetres?"
UKPN: "I don't know"

Great, thanks. (given that 25mil is 0.6mm I'm going to say she meant mm)

people talking about plastic are the worst for this. "yeah i'm gonna use 6mm" "i really doubt that"

also:

tag yourself, i'm the random wire dip so you can high five your electricity on the way to the corpse fridge

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

There are. Called slip fix unions.

Best thing for PVC since reciprocating saws.

We use em all the way up to 100mm pipe with ~1400kpa of pressure behind em- its awesome cos you can literally cut out a leak and you just need the 50-70mm of pipe for the glue join exposed either side of the fitting at full extension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so9XZS0aD1s

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NPR Journalizard posted:

Rest of the world managed to do it.

Yeah but the rest of the world didn't have a hundred years of inertia. They had thousands of years of inertia.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

people talking about plastic are the worst for this. "yeah i'm gonna use 6mm" "i really doubt that"

What's wrong with 6mm plastic?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's wrong with 6mm plastic?

It makes a very stiff, heavy bag.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

It makes a very stiff, heavy bag.

Oh I see; didn't know we were talking about bag-making :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

also:

tag yourself, i'm the random wire dip so you can high five your electricity on the way to the corpse fridge

I'm the table saw used to cut off limbs that was hastily removed before this photo was taken.