Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Why do people here dislike mrhappy so much? I've watched some of his videos and he doesn't seem that bad?

Like his video about the combat changes in 4.0 was good, covered the issues with the class/job system well etc... His playthrough he did with a low-level healer guy was good. Am i missing like some video where he revealed himself a secret brony or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

He has a habit of prioritizing early howto mechanics videos over thoroughly informed ones. Speaking just for myself, I generally hit up the videos that come out a week or two after content release instead of a day or two, since it gives the video creator a chance to pick up on all the details and tricks the community has discovered.

And at least back in 2.x, he also blathered on for about 2-3 times as long as needed, though I think he's improved since then.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vil posted:

He has a habit of prioritizing early howto mechanics videos over thoroughly informed ones. Speaking just for myself, I generally hit up the videos that come out a week or two after content release instead of a day or two, since it gives the video creator a chance to pick up on all the details and tricks the community has discovered.

The most recent example of this, not that it's Mr. Happy's particular fault, is the whole 'Skip Soar' fiasco/joke. I remember a lot of his older videos back in ARR that were pretty 'here's a mechanic, not completely sure what it all does but you might be able to skip it if you have the DPS' sort of stuff. Which led to PF's trying to do that, which led to grumbles about those mechanics and how there weren't any better videos than Mr. Happy's out there, etc. etc. yadda yadda.

A simple comparison between his stuff and Mizztec's tend to reveal this as well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

The most recent example of this, not that it's Mr. Happy's particular fault, is the whole 'Skip Soar' fiasco/joke. I remember a lot of his older videos back in ARR that were pretty 'here's a mechanic, not completely sure what it all does but you might be able to skip it if you have the DPS' sort of stuff. Which led to PF's trying to do that, which led to grumbles about those mechanics and how there weren't any better videos than Mr. Happy's out there, etc. etc. yadda yadda.

A simple comparison between his stuff and Mizztec's tend to reveal this as well.

If you go into other dark and terrible parts of the internet you'll find people saying he is terrible and had to be carried through A12s, just look at his fflogs!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

megalodong posted:

Why do people here dislike mrhappy so much? I've watched some of his videos and he doesn't seem that bad?

For me, it's that in his videos he's too wordy and he has the charisma of drywall. Mizzteq's more my speed - pleasant voice, reasonable pace, bad puns, usually covers all the mechanics without describing them to death.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uELrgWAGK-8&t=712s

mrhappy.avi

willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

I really need to get this and get back into playing...

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Mr Happy is fine and I'm glad he exists because sometimes he covers some stuff that nobody else does.

But overall it's like other people have said. He's so verbose and rambles on over some of the same footage. Like there's that you tube trap I see a lot of content creators fall into where they tend to ramble over some footage that's only marginally related to what they're talking about. (e.g.: Maybe they're discussing the Job's AoE rotation, but instead of showing it you're just looping footage of the single target rotation on the open world.) This is a visual medium! Show don't tell.

Maybe he's gotten better, I am not sure. I haven't really watched anything from him since HW's launch and it's due to other people being better (especially mizzteq).

e:

Yeah for comparison MTQcapture's video on this is just under 8 min.

e2: Just look at the editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykTu2Gligzw

His video starts with him talking in silence. Her video starts with the cinematic dungeon opening clip and the music mixed in as she says practically the same thing, it's just much better.

e3: Haw she has a separate video for just doing the dance mechanics... the points still stand :colbert:

itskage fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 30, 2017

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Yeah that all makes sense then. I've never watched his dungeon guides, just the general stuff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After not playing for around two months, I jumped back in today, queued for Dun Scaith, and immediately ripped hate off the tank with my opener using two month old muscle memory

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
use quelling strikes or elusive jump you loser

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I used elusive jump within one gcd of noticing I had hate

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
at that point the damage is already done and the tank had to turn in his Smug Superiority Card forever

i did just notice, however, that the drg opener doesn't natively include EJ anywhere, which seems really awful

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 30, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

use quelling strikes or elusive jump you loser

Quelling Strikes in a 24 man? What kind of fun hating is this

24 mans exist to humiliate pubbie tanks

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

at that point the damage is already done and the tank had to turn in his Smug Superiority Card forever

i did just notice, however, that the drg opener doesn't natively include EJ anywhere, which seems really awful

Using it throws away a ton of damage and isn't necessary unless the tank is garbage

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The correct way to use elusive jump is to backflip towards the boss as a gap closer so that you can save spineshatter dive for damage.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
using it throws away like a global cooldown and that damage is going to be more than made up when your tank actually gets to dps during the boss

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

using it throws away like a global cooldown and that damage is going to be more than made up when your tank actually gets to dps during the boss

If you use it in the opener then you're not really removing that much enmity, plus you're losing out on trick attack/MCH phys boost/balance. I don't even think DRG has a particularly frontloaded opener, unlike something like BLM.

vOv fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 30, 2017

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

itskage posted:

Mr Happy is fine and I'm glad he exists because sometimes he covers some stuff that nobody else does.

But overall it's like other people have said. He's so verbose and rambles on over some of the same footage. Like there's that you tube trap I see a lot of content creators fall into where they tend to ramble over some footage that's only marginally related to what they're talking about. (e.g.: Maybe they're discussing the Job's AoE rotation, but instead of showing it you're just looping footage of the single target rotation on the open world.) This is a visual medium! Show don't tell.

Maybe he's gotten better, I am not sure. I haven't really watched anything from him since HW's launch and it's due to other people being better (especially mizzteq).

e:

Yeah for comparison MTQcapture's video on this is just under 8 min.

e2: Just look at the editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykTu2Gligzw

His video starts with him talking in silence. Her video starts with the cinematic dungeon opening clip and the music mixed in as she says practically the same thing, it's just much better.

e3: Haw she has a separate video for just doing the dance mechanics... the points still stand :colbert:

He also tells you to LB the fishman, which is basically the opposite of good advice.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

vOv posted:

If you use it in the opener then you're not really removing that much enmity, plus you're losing out on trick attack/MCH phys boost/balance. I don't even think DRG has a particularly frontloaded opener, unlike something like BLM.

i think every ranged dps (maybe not smn) uses quelling strikes in their opener, though.

i mean that DS tank was invariably just awful but honestly if I just absentmindedly did my opener and wasn't paying attention to what other people were doing I'd probably end up losing aggro at some point too if a dps didn't use their enmity management abilities

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Mizzteq was okay back in 2.x but lmao if you use her lovely guides for anything in heavensward

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've used her guides for the Ex primals and they seem fine.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
stands to reason. most goons think her guides are fine. on a related note, most goons are 'bad at the game'

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
don't even talk to me if you don't reference at least 3 POV twitch highlights from professional esports raiders for your instructions to fights, especially EX primals

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yea that's what I said. sorry I don't remember the mechanics of normal modes guys, I'm too used to savage

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
seriously though, you're like one of my static's favorite memes. thanks for replying

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Velthice posted:

seriously though, you're like one of my static's favorite memes. thanks for replying

:same:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Velthice posted:

stands to reason. most goons think her guides are fine. on a related note, most goons are 'bad at the game'

Yes. I followed this guide and passed content. Both I and the guide are bad.

Sound logic.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Bleu posted:

He also tells you to LB the fishman, which is basically the opposite of good advice.

Obviously the fight is a joke now, but I remember when the content was current that hysteria-laying Sahagin add was easily the most dangerous part of the fight, to the point where people would deliberately reserve a slot for a Paladin just to maximize the chain-stun time you got to burn it down.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
lmao lookit dat AV. I'm pretty sure I just won the XIV thread. sorry everyone else, good luck in stormblood

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velthice posted:

lmao lookit dat AV. I'm pretty sure I just won the XIV thread. sorry everyone else, good luck in stormblood

what the heck

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
back off homie, you're old news. there's a younger, hipper kid on the block

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Obviously the fight is a joke now, but I remember when the content was current that hysteria-laying Sahagin add was easily the most dangerous part of the fight, to the point where people would deliberately reserve a slot for a Paladin just to maximize the chain-stun time you got to burn it down.

I will never stop enjoying Holmganging that jerk to interrupt his cast.

edit: drat it, I thought the posts were all Fister because apparently I only look at avatars.

Velthice posted:

Which are problematic? I don't think we used them in Midas, and in Gordias she hadn't cleared yet so she had no guide up for A3S/A4S. The Extreme videos seemed fine but I can't speak for Sophia/Zurvan because we did them blind.

nuru fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 30, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nuru posted:

I will never stop enjoying Holmganging that jerk to interrupt his cast.

edit: drat it, I thought the posts were all Fister because apparently I only look at avatars.

I did too and I got confused because it was like "wow, that seems a bit out of character for h- oh wait."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

:same:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hes finally gone off the deep end and started talking to himself.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
This page just got good.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

nuru posted:

Which are problematic? I don't think we used them in Midas, and in Gordias she hadn't cleared yet so she had no guide up for A3S/A4S. The Extreme videos seemed fine but I can't speak for Sophia/Zurvan because we did them blind.

basically all of her savage guides. also for one of the raid tiers (I forget which one) she just used another group's footage which led to her trying to explain thing when she had no idea how the mechanic worked so it was all around bad. to her credit, in those guides she linked an actually good written guide, and those were helpful, but I also totally understand that some people really don't learn or retain written stuff.

There are way better video guides out there was my main point, and one of the first I usually point people to are Xeno's

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oh my word this page is beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
goldmine

• Locked thread