Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inkspot posted:

He survived his romance with Caitlin. That's not nothing. Almost nothing, but not nothing.

Does it really count? He just became romantically obsessed with her and she turned into an evil woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
She had more chemistry with him than Jay, who spent most of their scenes together shirtless and confused, or Ronnie, who spent all of their scenes together confused/just happy to be on a TV show. I mean, none of the Philosopher's Stone stuff made any sense, but... Speed Force?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Inkspot posted:

She had more chemistry with him than Jay, who spent most of their scenes together shirtless and confused, or Ronnie, who spent all of their scenes together confused/just happy to be on a TV show. I mean, none of the Philosopher's Stone stuff made any sense, but... Speed Force?

Calcified speed force. It especially doesn't have to explain poo poo.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Barry should have pointed out to Savitar that both their mother's have the same name.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LongDarkNight posted:

Barry should have pointed out to Savitar that both their mother's have the same name.

It's kind of surprising that Savitar's plan didn't involve going back in time to the Allen family room.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Barry and Savitar are fighting on the Allen family lawn when Thawne and Future Barry show up. Thawne just shakes his head, mutters "you loving idiots" and leaves.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Rhyno posted:

It's kind of surprising that Savitar's plan didn't involve going back in time to the Allen family room.

Eventually there will be a dozen Barry Allens from various times piled into that room all yelling at different versions of themselves for being an idiot and loving up the timelines. Sort of like that Sealab 2021 episode.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

8one6 posted:

Barry and Savitar are fighting on the Allen family lawn when Thawne and Future Barry show up. Thawne just shakes his head, mutters "you loving idiots" and leaves.

It'll be a fight like the end of Shocker, but instead of fighting through TV shows; they'll be fighting through great moments in history and Barry will be killing butterflies left and right.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Subvisual Haze posted:

Eventually there will be a dozen Barry Allens from various times piled into that room all yelling at different versions of themselves for being an idiot and loving up the timelines. Sort of like that Sealab 2021 episode.

Eventually? There's already like 8 Flashes, reverse or otherwise, in that room.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It'll be a fight like the end of Shocker, but instead of fighting through TV shows; they'll be fighting through great moments in history and Barry will be killing butterflies left and right.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ojjeorago posted:

Eventually? There's already like 8 Flashes, reverse or otherwise, in that room.

We thought Barry A was shaking his head at Barry B like "no, don't interfere, it's better this way" but it was more like "wow I was so naive back then, look at this time scrub just trying to change one thing".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhyno posted:

I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't, I want them to just make that scene more convoluted every season.

The other reason is that they had some great setup a few episodes ago during the conversation between Barry and Iris (at the end of the memory loss episode) to resolve the Savitar plot by bringing him back to the Allen family room. Iris killing him was somewhat cathartic but, I dunno, it's nicer when the heroes on your show aren't murdering folks left, right and centre.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 29, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

irlZaphod posted:

I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't, I want them to just make that scene more convoluted every season.

The other reason is that they had some great setup a few episodes ago during the conversation between Barry and Iris (at the end of the memory loss episode) to resolve the Savitar plot by bringing him back to the Allen family room. Iris killing him was somewhat cathartic but, I dunno, it's nicer when the heroes on your show aren't murdering folks left, right and centre.

Meh, Savitar is a legit evil/bad dude. Dying in a kill or be killed scenario seems okay. What's kinda dumb is everyone screaming at Barry about how killing someone will CHANGE YOU!!! except he's loving murdered people before and it's nbd. This whole killing dilemma crap is just so loving dumb.

I bingewatched S03 recently, and I was surprised by the lack of lovely teen romance lying drama - for the most part.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think a Flash writer would argue that Barry killing somebody while they're trying to kill him is different from the actual plan being to kill the bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I was also really disappointed that Barry's plan of "let's be really super nice to Savitar" didn't work. It would have been a nice solution to a villain who was doing bad stuff not because he was evil but because he had severe emotional problems. They could have solved his problem by looking for an Earth that didn't have a Barry Allen (like, you know, Supergirl's) and sending him there to start a new life as the Flash.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tree Dude posted:

I think a Flash writer would argue that Barry killing somebody while they're trying to kill him is different from the actual plan being to kill the bad.

Voluntary manslaughter only works as a defense the first time around.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, I was also really disappointed that Barry's plan of "let's be really super nice to Savitar" didn't work. It would have been a nice solution to a villain who was doing bad stuff not because he was evil but because he had severe emotional problems. They could have solved his problem by looking for an Earth that didn't have a Barry Allen (like, you know, Supergirl's) and sending him there to start a new life as the Flash.

I was *kinda* hoping this, too, but Gorilla Grodding a dude seemed pretty unoriginal, and then also the guy was literally responsible for killing a bunch of people though. He also became evil because his feelings were hurt, so he's not the most mentally stable of people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So how long will Barry be gone next season? And why will the Barryless episodes be the best in a long time?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

So how long will Barry be gone next season? And why will the Barryless episodes be the best in a long time?

That's assuming that they don't spend the Barryless episodes constantly saying "boy I miss Barry. Things sure suck when Barry's not here"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Season 4 opens with them getting Barry out of the trap.

"Good thing we figured out how to get you out of there!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's assuming that they don't spend the Barryless episodes constantly saying "boy I miss Barry. Things sure suck when Barry's not here"

When Barry isn't on screen, the other characters should be saying "where's Barry?"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

Season 4 opens with them getting Barry out of the trap.

"Good thing we figured out how to get you out of there!"

Nah he'll already be out. No mention of how they did it, just business as usual. Except now Digg suddenly has a daughter again and Wally is really nervous about something.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Barry being nice to Savitar and it working could have been the bridge to "Got me again, Flash!" but it's a TV show that has to appeal to more people than just pure-strain comic book nerds. They never would have gone that route despite it being a great option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl91v2Mvv94

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
They could do a time jump. Make Wally super competent/confident. Maybe do the Brother/Sister crime fighting team thing with Iris. Have something happen at the end of the first episode that is so insane Mrs. Speed Force decides Barry can leave.

It would really be nice to skip over everyone being sad that Barry is gone.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What was the whole bit about Wally not having his powers if Barry was upset or something? He's been unable to access the speedforce before and wally still had his powers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drifter posted:

What was the whole bit about Wally not having his powers if Barry was upset or something? He's been unable to access the speedforce before and wally still had his powers.

It was a cause and effect thing. Because Barry forgot who he was, Savitar also forgot who he was, and because he forgot who he was, he never activated Wally's speed powers because who the gently caress is this kid to him?

Something something closed time loop. I hope the writers are finished with time travel bullshit plots for the rest of the show. Leave that poo poo on Legends where nobody giving a poo poo about causality is a feature, not a bug and played for comedy most of the time.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

They pretty much always do a 3-month timejump anyway.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I hope Barry spends his time in the speedforce learning to grant speedforce access to whoever he wants.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Hopefully season 4 won't try to copy season 3, badly. Like how season 2 tried to copy season 1.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What do folks who didn't enjoy this season so much (I honestly didn't see enough of it) think Flash should do for season four to improve?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wheat Loaf posted:

What do folks who didn't enjoy this season so much (I honestly didn't see enough of it) think Flash should do for season four to improve?

Stop moping-the-gently caress around. Barry Allen is the fastest man alive. That is loving awesome and he should be having a great time not wallowing in guilt and self-doubt and whatever-the-gently caress they have been doing. If I want to see that, I watch Arrow.

Edit: more Bart, less Barry.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Leave Barry in the speedforce for the majority of the season. Wally is the new Flash. Iris gets something to do besides pine over Barry. Harry is a dick to everybody. No speedster as the big bad. No time travel.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bentacos posted:

Leave Barry in the speedforce for the majority of the season. Wally is the new Flash. Iris gets something to do besides pine over Barry. Harry is a dick to everybody. No speedster as the big bad. No time travel.

Oh yeah. Wally is still in the "the superpowers are great" phase. Just let him star and Barry can still be a whiny bitch when he gets back mid-season.
Also, Iris and Julian hook up since they are both in rebound.

Edit: I'd really like to believe they were lampshading how depressing the show is with future emo Barry, time remnant evil Barry, and Bart. Maybe they have learned their lesson and he'll be content and grounded when he gets out of the speedforce. Even the musical episode made fun of the show.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 30, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Make the tone a lot more upbeat, give all the supporting characters something to do, don't make the whole season about defeating another speedster, and no more completely insane time travel plot holes.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got around to watching the beginning of the Season Finale of The Flash and saw that it was HR that got killed instead of Iris. Goddamn this show is getting ridiculous.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He should learn to run faster. And a new trick to forget.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

The back half of the season was so dominated by the Savitar/saving Iris stuff that it really dragged on. I like stories which develop over the course of the season but it just doesn't work when you start throwing time travel/future knowledge stuff into it.

Also I'm all for suspension of disbelief but they really pushed it a lot this season. I just don't think the writers are very good at writing time travel stories, they get convoluted and they can't stick to their own rules. The multiverse stuff is, usually, good, though.

The Caitlin/Killer Frost stuff was bad. I liked Julian although I fully expected him to get written out at the end of the season, it's hard to see what they'll do with him now.

The season really fell away from Barry's day job too (aside from one or two episodes). Hell, everyone's day jobs.

I liked Wally developing as Kid Flash, but there probably wasn't enough of it and particularly towards the end of the season they seemed to mostly just have him get beat up a lot. I liked his relationship with Jesse but again it was largely dropped aside from the episode where he's inexplicably missing for the whole thing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Make the main villain a non-speedster. They've locked up or killed off so many bad guys that could have been awesome recurring characters. Speedster vs speedster is boring now, IMO.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope Felton is in for the long run. There's worse things than having a steady paycheck that will keep you visible to nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Have a big musical episode, but do it properly this time

• Locked thread