Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

spankmeister posted:

serious eats,
chefsteps,
the anova recipe website and
The sous vide thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640

thank you kindly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I got an instant pot and made kenji's chili verde and since then have been sort of paralyzed making up my mind on what to make next. My rice cooker seems to make better rice though, which seems fair.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

nuru posted:

I got an instant pot and made kenji's chili verde and since then have been sort of paralyzed making up my mind on what to make next. My rice cooker seems to make better rice though, which seems fair.

The rice definitely wasn't how I liked it, but to be fair, it'll probably take a bit of tinkering on my part to get it just how I like it. It was still edible and didn't taste awful which is a plus. The biggest thing for me is the quicker cook times, and the ability for me to set and forget stuff without worrying too much. Bashing out dishes with lamb that falls off the bone, can't wait.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Ok, the manual for my pressure cooker "strongly recommends" soaking beans...

Do I have to? I thought the whole point was that I didn't have to do that.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

Ok, the manual for my pressure cooker "strongly recommends" soaking beans...

Do I have to? I thought the whole point was that I didn't have to do that.

Not soaking beans just means you'll have to cook em longer. The only reason people soak beans is to soften them up and make it so they don't have to cook them for a million hours. You can shove the beans right in without soaking, but it's definitely gonna cause the cooking time to increase, and more likely than not you'll be checking them the after and realising they're still undercooked. I guess you could shove em in without soaking and just add however long onto the cooking time, I dunno how much it should be though.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

There's that constant debate over brining if you soak. I think Serious Eats had an article about it toughening the surface of the bean.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've previously used the HIP pressure cooking chart https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooking-times/ to some success.

I think directly from dried changed a bit batch to batch just due to natural variations in the beans harvesting/dryness/age so it's a bit hard to pin down exactly. You can always give them another go at high pressure if the time isn't enough.

Also make sure to give plenty of water - if the beans are near the surface they tend to not cook well at all.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Loopoo posted:

It was still edible and didn't taste awful which is a plus.

That's the Goons With Spoons official motto, isn't it?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Scientastic posted:

That's the Goons With Spoons official motto, isn't it?

A motto I can stand behind with pride.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Loopoo posted:

Just bought an Instant Pot, throw some of your favourite recipes my way. I'm trying to branch away from my typical meals that are almost exclusively curries / pasta dishes. I go for them since they're easy, but it'd be nice to have something that doesn't revolve around rice / pasta.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/157517114578/instant-pot-pressure-cooker-chicken-pho

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/01/pressure-cooker-french-onion-soup-recipe.html ... though I made mine with homemade beef stock (made in a pressure canner, but you could also use an instant pot) instead of the chicken stock it calls for.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/157517114578/instant-pot-pressure-cooker-chicken-pho

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/01/pressure-cooker-french-onion-soup-recipe.html ... though I made mine with homemade beef stock (made in a pressure canner, but you could also use an instant pot) instead of the chicken stock it calls for.

Gonna make beef and dumplings in a bit, will post photos of how it turns out. Gonna add the dumplings in at the end on high heat slow cooker programme.

That chicken pho looks glorious.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Oh, yeah, if you're looking for the most useful application for your instant pot, make chicken stock. I've made really delicious stock in 90 minutes with 2 pounds of wings and one carcass, along with some water and whatever aromatics you're interested in. Just throw everything together, add enough water to cover, cook on high pressure for an hour. You can add even more bony chicken for a richer stock. I honestly can't recommend enough making your own stock for general use.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lawnie posted:

Oh, yeah, if you're looking for the most useful application for your instant pot, make chicken stock. I've made really delicious stock in 90 minutes with 2 pounds of wings and one carcass, along with some water and whatever aromatics you're interested in. Just throw everything together, add enough water to cover, cook on high pressure for an hour. You can add even more bony chicken for a richer stock. I honestly can't recommend enough making your own stock for general use.

I've heard the IP is great at making stock, because it doesn't boil the water, so you don't get a tonne of scum rising to the surface. I was googling a recipe for chicken stock and it said it creates a really clear and tasty broth, is that your experience with it?

I'm gonna make machboos diyay (roast chicken, Arabic style) and it's gonna be so good cooking the rice in the chicken stock I get from the chicken.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You can also skip making the stock, and just make whole-chicken chicken soup.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I cooked a turkey breast today, and while I don't care for gravy, I couldn't bear to throw the fond away. So I deglazed with water and put it in the freezer...what should I do with it?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I don't care for gravy

I don't understand.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Those look like words, but I just can't parse them.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What can I say, for whatever reason it's never appealed to me! I guess it's been probably 10+ years since I had some, maybe I should give it a try.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's the spirit

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I want to make dumplings, but don't want to make another trip to the stores (cause I forgot to buy brand new flour). I've had a bag of self-raising flour opened in the cupboard since about November. I stuck my nose right into it and took a whiff (I ended up inhaling a bunch of flour too and sneezed for about ten minutes straight) and it smelled fine. No hint of sourness, no weevils or bugs in the flour, no signs of mould. Is that a pretty solid indication that it's still good to cook with? It's been in the dark cupboard almost the entire time, with the cupboard rarely being opened. I've got some beef suet as well that's opened, and I'm wondering whether it's safe for me to use that (I bought new suet though just in case). It's been opened for a few months, doesn't expire until July 2017 and doesn't smell rancid.

Am I better off just going to the store and buying new flour and making dumplings with the fresh suet + flour? Or will it be alright just using what I have already. Feels a shame to have to waste stuff, but then again, flour's cheap as chips and suet only cost me £2.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If it's before the expiration date, stored as it should've been, and seemingly fine, why wouldn't it be fine?

The only catch is the flour is self-rising. Put some in a glass of water and see if it still fizzes.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
How thick do you guys make your burgers? We grilled 1/2 inch thick monsters over the weekend cause we could. Also, what's your preference on doneness?

And is it okay to call them burgs or is that dumb?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

vermin posted:

How thick do you guys make your burgers? We grilled 1/2 inch thick monsters over the weekend cause we could. Also, what's your preference on doneness?

I like a half inch thick burg, heavy sear, medium rare.

if sayin burg is wrong I dun wanna be right

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

vermin posted:

+1 for burgs

I don't like em real thick, but I'm not sure I'd call 1/2" thick a big burger

I prefer thinner and crispy

I'd be okay with 1/2" but some of those fuckers you see on TV are like 1" or bigger. I want a burger not meatloaf

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like a half inch thick burg, heavy sear, medium rare.

If you are going to grill them, this is the way.

Bob Morales posted:

I prefer thinner and crispy

I've gotten really into the smash burger technique, I wish I had a better hood on my stove.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
depends on how much meat Im using. 5-8oz I'll make it fairly thick with a sizeable divet in the middle. Around 3oz I prefer to make a smash burger (drop a 3oz ball onto a smoking hot cast iron pan, squash flat with a solid spatula (use a wooden spoon or tongs or w/e to push the top of the spatula down hard) until its less than a 1/2". The latter cooks quick and will be crispy if done in a little oil or fat.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've gotten really into the smash burger technique, I wish I had a better hood on my stove.

plug in induction hob, do it outside.

edit:
you can do a smash crisp + still have it medium rare, just need some BTU

Smash burger
by Matthew Mendoza, on Flickr

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 30, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Smash burger

That looks like a perfectly nice burger, but it's about twice as thick as I do my smash burgers.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

That looks like a perfectly nice burger, but it's about twice as thick as I do my smash burgers.

that's my point, I think people think smash crisp and mid rare juicy are mutually exclusive. you can have both.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

that's my point, I think people think smash crisp and mid rare juicy are mutually exclusive. you can have both.

My point is that this is just a semantics game about what counts as smash crisp. I don't think anyone is confused by the idea that you can make a burger both well browned on the outside and medium rare on the inside if it's thick enough.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Since I have embraced the smash over the past couple years, I have found that grilled burgers are 100% uninteresting. I grilled a couple last night and was so let down.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

We smashed some qps last night on the griddle. Ground our own mixture of brisket and chuck. Turned out p. well I thought, though I think I'm gonna run the griddle hotter next time.

Had a whole pile of fixings so people could assemble their own.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

plug in induction hob, do it outside.

edit:

Smash burger

Great picture, man!

Yeah, I do have an induction plate that I use for hot pot, so I could do that outdoors.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Depends on how I'm doing 'em. On the grill I want a thicker burg so I can get some char on it but still be mid-rare and juicy in the middle.

I have a huge weakness for thin flat-top style 'fried in grease' crispy burgs, though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

all this talk of burgs reminds me of when me and my old man had a pretty nice bonding experience a few years ago. we were hype for the Perseid meteor shower, so we decided to stay up til really late, about 3am to see them. we got the grill out and I made some fresh burgs right then and there with toasted buns, and we ate it as the meteors flew overhead and it was pretty nice.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Loopoo posted:

all this talk of burgs reminds me of when me and my old man had a pretty nice bonding experience a few years ago. we were hype for the Perseid meteor shower, so we decided to stay up til really late, about 3am to see them. we got the grill out and I made some fresh burgs right then and there with toasted buns, and we ate it as the meteors flew overhead and it was pretty nice.

:unsmith:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So when the Instant Pot actually loving pressurizes, god drat does it work well. Most tender pieces of stew beef I've ever had. No matter what I did when I cooked it on the stove, it'd always be tough and chewy. At first I thought it was due to not cooking long enough, then I thought maybe I was cooking it too long, I tried everything in between and it still turned out tough and chewy. So it's a really nice treat to have it turn out amazing in 22 minutes. A pressure cooker also has the added benefit of leaving my vegetables intact, and prevents them melting into the stew. So I had really good texture throughout the stew, my celery, leek, carrots and potato had bite to them (but not undercooked), and they all retained their shape perfectly.

That being said, the drat thing wouldn't pressurize for some reason. I did the 22 minute cycle three times, each time failed, and I ended up having to stand over the IP and keep smacking the lid and prying the valve up until it stayed in an upwards position. Almost 2 hours of me faffing about trying to get it to work. Maybe I overfilled it and the heat element couldn't deal with the amount of liquid I had in there, who knows.

Meal was ruined though, I shouldn't have used the opened suet and flour. Shoulda just bought fresh, I'm a dope. I'm 100% sure the dumplings were off, and I ate 2 decent sized ones. My stomach is in bits. Thrown the rest of the dumplings out in an attempt to salvage the rest of the stew for tomorrow's dinner.

On that note, dumpling recipes, go! I use self raising flour, salt, and parsley / thyme, but they always turn out quite dense. This time I added baking powder and it fluffed them up but they were too fluffy and didn't have substance to them. So hit me with your award-winning dumper recipes.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I've also had trouble with the IP not coming up to pressure. Verify that the sealing ring and lid are clean before starting, and also make sure there isn't any debris between the housing and the "outer pot" where the lid flanges onto the housing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are some dishes were a stovetop is simply better as it won't automatically turn off if the sensor detects however many above 255 degrees at the base. If you're adding anything that absorbs liquid you should have the liquid in the electric cooker already hot and bring it to pressure as soon as you add the poo poo that soaks. There will occasionally be dishes (or scales of dishes) that you simply cannot make as the pot won't get to pressure fast enough to avoid the food triggering the safety measures whether via absorption or settling on the inner pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

There are some dishes were a stovetop is simply better as it won't automatically turn off if the sensor detects however many above 255 degrees at the base. If you're adding anything that absorbs liquid you should have the liquid in the electric cooker already hot and bring it to pressure as soon as you add the poo poo that soaks. There will occasionally be dishes (or scales of dishes) that you simply cannot make as the pot won't get to pressure fast enough to avoid the food triggering the safety measures whether via absorption or settling on the inner pot.

When I am doing something like that, for instance chicken soup with egg noodles, I just add the noodles in at the end, after everything else has cooked, the residual heat is enough to cook the noodles.