Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

OptimusWang posted:

Is there a trick to flocking bases with snow? Normally I hit them with wood glue then dip in whatever, but since this stuff is white I used Elmer's (the non-kiddy kind). It looked ok for a day, then it basically ate the snow and now it looks like fuzz or something :confused:

I use this stuff on my Infinity bases and it looks killer, really good. Pricey, sure, but a little goes a long, long way. The tutorial videos are a must watch.

http://www.thescenicfactory.com/product_p/sn-04.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

There are guides online. There's some weird mixture with household items that looks really good. Will try to find the tutorial I'm thinking of.

Baking soda and pva. http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/04/hobby-create-realistic-snow-in-3-minutes.html

Thanks man, I'll check it out. Was pretty annoyed when it turned to this:

That fuzzy stuff at the bottom was my snow :smith:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Thin your glue down and use less of it.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

A friend of a friend found these in a box with some old Grenadier D&D minis and is trying to identify them. I've come up with nothing. Anyone recognize them? The pegs, rather than tabs or integral bases, is what's baffling me.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Crossposting from the Oath thread.

I tried to intentionally pool and make the wash on the Deff Dread a little uneven, in an attempt to look like oil stains and grime. Not sure if I'm happy with it or not.

Floppychop posted:

Oath Complete!

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Christ that's good

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Floppychop posted:

Excellent Ork Stuff

This is so so good!

Man, the Ork itch is legit.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
I know that over the years any time I looked at a killer kans or deff dreads the want to grab them 'just for painting' becomes irresistible.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

head58 posted:

A friend of a friend found these in a box with some old Grenadier D&D minis and is trying to identify them. I've come up with nothing. Anyone recognize them? The pegs, rather than tabs or integral bases, is what's baffling me.

Would be helpful to know how big they are - would they be considered orc or ogre sized, as it were?

Stuff of Legends might be a site worth checking out. I've had a quick look, but to no avail.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

OptimusWang posted:

Is there a trick to flocking bases with snow? Normally I hit them with wood glue then dip in whatever, but since this stuff is white I used Elmer's (the non-kiddy kind). It looked ok for a day, then it basically ate the snow and now it looks like fuzz or something :confused:

I made a tutorial on them that you can check out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWCsB1oZlik

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

SRM posted:

I made a tutorial on them that you can check out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWCsB1oZlik

Thanks man, I'll give it a shot. I tried a single pass with dullcote/flock method and wasn't real impressed:

I'll scrape as much off with a stiff brush as I can and try the mix tonight.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Working on a Kanren for Infinity as a color scheme test, still need to do the NMM (gold on the belt/neck ornament/coat border/sword hilt/decorations, some steel on the gun) and clean stuff up. Not sure how happy I am with the red right now, I think I'm going to have to shade it more into the purple range to really tie everything together. Shading everywhere else needs some work too, I think, the contrast isn't quite where I want it to be.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Im trying to fix up my photography skills. How do these pictures look to you guys?

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 29, 2017

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lethemonster posted:

Im trying to fix up my photography skills. How do these pictures look to you guys?

Dark and heavily contrasted. Are those painted or bare pewter?

Your lighting may be a little on the harsh side, which never plays well with a white background since it really pushes the contrast. Try diffusing your light source (tracing paper over it) and using a grey or grey/white gradient instead of pure white for the backdrop.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Dark and heavily contrasted. Are those painted or bare pewter?

Your lighting may be a little on the harsh side, which never plays well with a white background since it really pushes the contrast. Try diffusing your light source (tracing paper over it) and using a grey or grey/white gradient instead of pure white for the backdrop.

They are painted. Vallejo Metal Colour steel which is a super dark metallic.

Problem is - my neurological condition means I have to spend most of my time hiding behind sunglasses or skiing goggles and all my screens have to have the lighting super low.

Editing photos for the blog is uhh... interesting?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
finally finished a goddamn tiny mans

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I use thinned down Elmer's wood glue with some pigment to match the color of the base mixed in for sticking stuff to my mans footsie areas.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lethemonster posted:

Problem is - my neurological condition means I have to spend most of my time hiding behind sunglasses or skiing goggles and all my screens have to have the lighting super low.

Maybe ask someone else to do it and tell you what settings they used? At least then you can have a starting point.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lethemonster posted:

Auto-levels, auto-contrast and auto-white balance in both photoshop and your camera will do a reasonable job even if you have to keep stuff dim. I (thankfully) don't suffer from any visual impediments and 90% of my photos are just auto-processed anyway. I may very rarely tweak the colours slightly if I think the shades are off, but those are few and far between.

I've personally found that using a solid black or white backdrop and having a highly contrasting subject to be one of the ways of confusing the alogrithms leading to a poorer result.

This site has a couple of printable backdrops. I've found them to work better than a plain background and they also aren't as boring as simple gradient.

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/photo-backgrounds.html

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

This looks loving fantastic.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Maybe ask someone else to do it and tell you what settings they used? At least then you can have a starting point.

I spent my life painting in lieu of knowing any humans.

Z the IVth posted:

Auto-levels, auto-contrast and auto-white balance in both photoshop and your camera will do a reasonable job even if you have to keep stuff dim. I (thankfully) don't suffer from any visual impediments and 90% of my photos are just auto-processed anyway. I may very rarely tweak the colours slightly if I think the shades are off, but those are few and far between.

I've personally found that using a solid black or white backdrop and having a highly contrasting subject to be one of the ways of confusing the alogrithms leading to a poorer result.

This site has a couple of printable backdrops. I've found them to work better than a plain background and they also aren't as boring as simple gradient.

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/photo-backgrounds.html

Annoyingly that is what my photoshop produced on the auto settings. I just want something kick off to the side that I can pop models onto to take WIP and how to shots while I paint though my mountain of Dark Souls miniatures. I have some of the nifty backdrops but thought WIP on them might look silly.

It has just occured to me that a neutral grey sheet of paper will fix all my problems and I cant believe it has only just occurred to me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lethemonster posted:

There are humans here! Well, they're Goons, but they have Photoshop!

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Please post more of your awesome orcs.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Lethemonster posted:

Annoyingly that is what my photoshop produced on the auto settings. I just want something kick off to the side that I can pop models onto to take WIP and how to shots while I paint though my mountain of Dark Souls miniatures. I have some of the nifty backdrops but thought WIP on them might look silly.

It has just occured to me that a neutral grey sheet of paper will fix all my problems and I cant believe it has only just occurred to me.

To be fair though those Perry miniatures you posted earlier were just one metallic basecoat, it's hard for a photo of that to come out well. With more details painted I think your photos would look good.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Currently planning a Tyranid color scheme.

Any thoughts on my choices? I absolutely want to paint lighter colors after black and silver on necrons for a while. I'm really set on doing some teal colors, but exactly which ones and how to play that against the rest of it are fair game.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

General Olloth posted:

Currently planning a Tyranid color scheme.

Any thoughts on my choices? I absolutely want to paint lighter colors after black and silver on necrons for a while. I'm really set on doing some teal colors, but exactly which ones and how to play that against the rest of it are fair game.

If it helps at all that's pretty similar to my 'Nid scheme, aside from the weapons:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

If it helps at all that's pretty similar to my 'Nid scheme, aside from the weapons:

Excellent, I was digging around online trying to find something like this. I'm thinking strong contrast complimentary red-orange on hoofs/claws/blades/guns is a good way to make them pop but mostly wondering if it would be too garish at that volume on the models. I sort of went off how the warhammerTV guides have them broken into 3 main colors, except I don't want my carapace nearly as dark as those.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Speaking of color schemes, I need help with making a good flesh color for my marines. I kind of like the idea of a greyish color, because I don't want to go with normal flesh tones and I don't want to copy the salamanders. Recommendations for paints would also be greatly appreciated because I haven't painted any flesh. I'm not dead set on grey though, I just want something uncommon that gels well with my chapter color scheme of gold and purple.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

How do you guys get Dark Eldar Raiders to stay firm on their posts? Mine slowly tilt until the ram is touching the table, even with glue.

Am I going to have to pin the mount?

EDIT: Never mind, apparently it just took 6 hours to set and I just snapped my mount and am going to have to drill and remount. This is what happens when you take 2-3 years off.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 30, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I magnetized all my flying vehicles, it's just easier that way.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I magnetized all my flying vehicles, it's just easier that way.

Probably what I'm going to end up doing. This is the first army where I've had more than one or two small fliers.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Finished a few things today (I ofc noticed some errors and things I forgot upon uploading)

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but do plastic minis just kind of suck to paint vs metal ones? Or is that mostly a Reaper issue?

I've painted a whopping 5 figs + some x-wing ships so I'm still pretty new to this, but the ones I'm working on now are a gigantic pain in the rear end, especially compared to their metal figs I did previously.

Also, who do you guys recommend for fantasy minis?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

OptimusWang posted:

Sorry if this is a really basic question, but do plastic minis just kind of suck to paint vs metal ones? Or is that mostly a Reaper issue?

I've painted a whopping 5 figs + some x-wing ships so I'm still pretty new to this, but the ones I'm working on now are a gigantic pain in the rear end, especially compared to their metal figs I did previously.

Plastic is easier on your brushes than metals, and paint doesn't chip off as easily. Depending on the fantasy minis you want, Warhammer, Reaper, Warmachine, and Frostgrave all have some great minis between them. Mantic has cheap ones. Priming is the most important part of painting any material, especially Reaper's Bones material.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

This guy looks so loving good dude.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

OptimusWang posted:

I recommend washing the Reaper Bones in warm soapy water before painting to get the powder residue off of em. In a lot of casting processes you have to use powders to keep the cast from sticking fast in a mold, like baby powder keeping your balls from sticking to your undies on a really hot day. I just wash minis regardless of type these days. Well, not sprue stuff Iike GW plastics, I guess. That might help the Bones paint a little better. As far as I know, they don't need a spray basecoat. Or I'm wrong. Who knows?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I finished a model! It's only took four years!

Album!

Feels good.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
enormous Ork lawnmower

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

OptimusWang posted:

What are you finding to be a pain in the rear end specifically? Also, what kinds of fantasy minis are you interested in?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Have you been painting reaper minis? Those dudes repel paint unless you wash and/or undercoat them with spray first.

Normal plastics are great to paint and reapers become ok after washing/undercoat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I finished a model! It's only took four years!

Album!

Feels good.

:krad: