Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

WaltherFeng posted:

I would not respec until NG+. Your build makes very little difference at such low levels

That's true unless you want skills for a different weapon or hate using the ninja/onmyo poo poo you've purchased. The stats aren't really that important, but enjoying your skills definitely is and there is virtually no reason not to respec given how cheap it is and how many freebies the game shits out as you progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
My super optimal NG build would be 30 Magic, 20 Ninjutsu and Spirit as high as you need for passive Spirit bonuses and the rest in whatever stat your weapon uses.

20 Magic and 20 Dex is the bare minimum for important Dojo missions but I would not invest any further in Ninjutsu until way into NG+ because its super gear heavy. Onmyo doesn't require any gear to be good.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm super early in the game in that I just unlocked the mission map. What should I be doing with all the gear I don't need...sell it, offer it for Amrita, or disassemble for materials?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

WaltherFeng posted:

I would not respec until NG+. Your build makes very little difference at such low levels

On the other hand, they're so cheap at the start, why not make the most of what you've got?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm super early in the game in that I just unlocked the mission map. What should I be doing with all the gear I don't need...sell it, offer it for Amrita, or disassemble for materials?

Just burn it for Amrita and unlock sick ninja and magic powers plus some baller sword or whatever skills. Don't worry about hoarding crap as you won't need it later and it won't be worth anything, so just start accruing samurai points and pick up fun moves to wreck fools with.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Early on it's best to offer junk. Once you hit way of the strong/demon you're going to be selling everything that isn't divine rank gear.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Awesome, thanks.

How viable is it to just play around with different weapons? I started with swords and axes, seem to be working OK so far.

Goddamn this game is almost more overwhelming than Souls.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
At the beginning, definitely play around with all the weapon types.

You'll eventually want to settle on 2 so you can make better use of your samurai skill points, but at the beginning it's more important to figure out what you like :)

SMP
May 5, 2009

After rolling with KSG/dual katanas for most of the game (just beat Spider Nest), I respec'd into spears/ksg. Gonna be weird to relearn all the moves.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
My mains are sword/ksg but spears are awesome, definitely my third pick. If I had started with those instead of swords I probably would have stuck with them more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spears are great because rather than being safe pokers like a DS reach weapon, you can do acrobatic stupid poo poo as well as get skills like merciless barrage, which loving owns.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Are there stances that particular weapons are more suited towards?

For instance, low stance seems like it synergizes well with the dual katanas to capitalize on their speed.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It really depends on what you're fighting. Human enemies get ruined by mid stance with the parries, low stance is the fastest way for building up status effects and high is great for when you drain ki on yokai or slow enemies. You'll be switching between all three on the fly once you get the hang of it.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I might be doing it wrong but I play kusarigama almost exclusively in low stance.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Really you're just going to be in whatever stance has the skill you use most associated with it. I pretty much never leave high stance with dual swords because I'm always going to be using Windstorm on everything.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I use Flux a lot so I just cycle through all my stances mid combo for near infinite Ki

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Dual katanas in mid stance was what I did most of the time. Good balance of speed and power, fun ending with the kick double slash, and regen ki while blocking.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Midstance for parries, Sign of the Cross and groundstabs, high stance for Windstorm as they get up :getin"

SMP posted:

I might be doing it wrong but I play kusarigama almost exclusively in low stance.

I like to do the big spinning weight combo in low stance, then Flux up to high stance and do the same thing. It's got a bigger wind-up but does way more damage, as you would expect. Anything that survives both of those at least has an elemental effect. If I need range I'll do the high stance Triangle move where you just throw the weight forward.

I'm just switching to heavy weapons for WotStrong, it's a lot of fun to chop a dude's horn off then wind up a huge Babe Ruth axe swing while he's on the ground :black101:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why can't I get my clan rewards? I need that poo poo for my Ginchiyo skin. :argh:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I just did a few random coops and got it really fast.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm just trying to get my feet wet and become familiar with all the systems. I have about 8 hours on the game clock and just nailed the third boss. She was a significant hurdle, much more so than what I remember my first Souls boss being like.

Is there any danger to "overleveling"? Like my next missions are all 19ish and I'm sitting at 25 with a pile of Amrita.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Nah, level away.

I am curious to hear how you do against lightning puppy. I found that much more of a roadblock than batgirl.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

Nah, level away.

I am curious to hear how you do against lightning puppy. I found that much more of a roadblock than batgirl.

Hopefully better. Most of my problems with batgirl were getting used to the controls. I keep wanting to dodge with circle and attack with R1. I've got that down now and hopefully the rest of the game will go smoother.

Fighting normal baddies aren't much of a problem for me, and the first two bosses I killed in no more than 2 attempts. But gently caress, batgirl was something like 30+. But just like a difficult Souls boss, after about 10 attempts it's no longer productive and once I take a break I start seeing improvement.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's not even a community meta cap like in Dark Souls, so just keep dumping as much amrita into development as you want.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I think I saw on the previous pages it's a good idea to just pump up stats to softcaps (~10) and put significant points in to ninja/magic for tools? I think the number bandied was 30 magic/20 ninja was good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

30 is the soft cap for Ninjutsu and Onmyo as you won't get any extra capacity. 20 is the bare minimum for all the Dojo missions and Mystic Arts.

The rest benefit mostly at 10 with the exception of Heart at 15 and Spirit at whichever guardian spirits you like most

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 30, 2017

SMP
May 5, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

Nah, level away.

I stumbled on Hino-enma for a bit and didn't have much trouble with Nue. I died a few times, but I at least didn't find the attack patterns as frustrating.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

30 is the soft cap for Ninjutsu and Onmyo as you won't get any extra capacity. 20 is the bare minimum for all the Dojo missions and Mystic Arts.

The rest benefit mostly at 10 with the exception of Heart at 15 and Spirit at whichever guardian spirits you like most

Thanks! Do guardians have a minimum spirit requirement that needs to be met? I.E. is there any benefit to pumping that stat?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Anti-Hero posted:

Thanks! Do guardians have a minimum spirit requirement that needs to be met? I.E. is there any benefit to pumping that stat?

Strictly speaking, no, you can use a guardian at any spirit.

However, the bonuses they offer do have minimum spirit requirements to activate. So if you want all the benefits a spirit offers, there is a minimum spirit you must meet for that.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
And no benefit for going over the spirit requirement for that bonus, correct?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

And no benefit for going over the spirit requirement for that bonus, correct?

The bonuses themselves don't increase (until you unlock Living Weapon leveling in NG+) but I believe increasing your Spirit makes your LW stronger in general. That said unless you're really focusing on a LW build it probably isn't worth it to go beyond what your preferred LW requires for all its bonuses.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Been working on this in moments of free time since about 2 weeks after the game came out. Finally finished.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Can I...buy it?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Feenix, that's dope.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Trudis posted:

Can I...buy it?

Lol. Not sure if serious or just complimenting me... I guess anything is possible. I say this, though, not at all trying to be greedy... it was a labor of love and took a lot of man hours so
I'm not sure if your "oh that's cute I'd buy it!" Valuation and my "oh my god I did it!!" Valuation would be in line.

That said.... I think it'd be neat to have sold something as "an artist."

If you were at all serious, PM me. We can chat. :)

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
That is wicked cool, Feenix.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah that's pretty awesome man.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks everyone! Very kind. The moment I saw the kodama in Nioh I was struck by how great the design was. I wanted to make one, and set out to try. :)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you have a way to produce them semi-quickly and cheaply you should absolutely make a thread in SA Mart at least. The internet eats up cutesy Japanese poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my goodness that is amazing. :3:

I adore the animation William has for talking to Kodama. It's like he's fussing over a small child.