Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lurdiak posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but I am super sick of the Ghostbusters theme song.

Heresy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Also what's Dear Black People?

:lol:

I don't know whether it's more amazing that I did this twice or that the guy quoting me didnt' even notice and did it too.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 30, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo house of cards season 5 is starting amazing

And also hitting too close to home

Holy poo poo Spacey is doing a Trump Voice

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MiddleOne posted:

:lol:

I don't know whether it's more amazing that I did this twice or that the guy quoting me didnt' even notice and did it too.

I was starting to wonder if there was some spinoff I hadn't heard of.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
F is for Family Season 2 has appeared as if from nowhere.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/redlettermedia/status/869353444120940547

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Amazing. RedLetterMedia comes off smug and douchey even when I completely agree with them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Amazing. RedLetterMedia comes off smug and douchey even when I completely agree with them.

I've had to stop watching them entirely. Their Nerd Crew thing is the worst; even as a one-off joke it was limp, but they just keep doing it and it's not really funny to satirize a boring, content-free podcast by making a boring, content-free podcast

Like I just can't imagine they have nothing better to do.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rich Evans is worse than Mr. Plinkett.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

I've had to stop watching them entirely. Their Nerd Crew thing is the worst; even as a one-off joke it was limp, but they just keep doing it and it's not really funny to satirize a boring, content-free podcast by making a boring, content-free podcast

Me, personally, I love this opinion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They play it 4 times every episode. Not including the opening and ending.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

It's almost as if doing a lovely and unfunny version of something terrible is somehow shockingly worse than the thing you're making fun of. Strange how that works. Who would imagine that you actually need to be funny to try and do parody? It's similar to those assholes that make poo poo like Epic Movie or Meet The Spartans. When you make fun of something bad you need to put a little more effort into it than just doing a shittier version of your intended target.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RLM is about as useful as ScreenJunkies.

Which is to say they have 1 thing that's sometimes good and everything else is trash.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
https://twitter.com/_glocks/status/869356948088541184

Having seen none of the new season, I'm just gonna run on the assumption that this really happened.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wrong thread

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-O posted:

It's almost as if doing a lovely and unfunny version of something terrible is somehow shockingly worse than the thing you're making fun of. Strange how that works. Who would imagine that you actually need to be funny to try and do parody? It's similar to those assholes that make poo poo like Epic Movie or Meet The Spartans. When you make fun of something bad you need to put a little more effort into it than just doing a shittier version of your intended target.

Exactly. It's just so weird that they apparently think it's funny/worthwhile enough to devote a lot of time and effort to, because it's not even just a podcast, the amount of time they put into making the "set" and editing it and so on is just baffling to me.

IRQ posted:

Me, personally, I love this opinion.

I get this joke, it's really something for the regulars, you know, it's just so cool, I think, that TVIV Couch Chat on the Something Awful forums, is a good place, it really speaks to the quality work that goes into each and every shitpost we make.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

Space Cop is one of the worst pieces of media I've ever willingly consumed and I feel really bad for the two Canadian professional effects guys that were wasted on it.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

precision posted:

I get this joke, it's really something for the regulars, you know, it's just so cool, I think, that TVIV Couch Chat on the Something Awful forums, is a good place, it really speaks to the quality work that goes into each and every shitpost we make.

Very cool!

Also I still like them. I don't watch all their videos, but I still think they are one of the most entertaining movie focussed channels on Youtube. (That probably doesn't mean anything though.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

Exactly. It's just so weird that they apparently think it's funny/worthwhile enough to devote a lot of time and effort to, because it's not even just a podcast, the amount of time they put into making the "set" and editing it and so on is just baffling to me.

It's extremely popular among their fans, which is probably why they made more than one of them.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nerd crew is my favorite thing and rich said on the recent pre rec he was out shopping for new nerd crew hats/props

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Eezee posted:

Very cool!

Also I still like them. I don't watch all their videos, but I still think they are one of the most entertaining movie focussed channels on Youtube. (That probably doesn't mean anything though.)

You know what's more entertaining and WAY more emotionally rewarding than RLM? Ecomog. They have their own (arguably problematic) gimmick of lampooning street culture, and you're not going to get much deep analysis from them. On the other hand, their reactions are funny as poo poo, their geek cred is legit, and they're RELENTLESSLY positive. On the rare instance that they go negative, like their review of Independence Day: Resurgence, it comes from a place of honest-to-god disappointment and not some attempt to score cool points by blindly attacking the establishment.

We need channels and people that'll dive deep and talk about movies in a literate and entertaining way. But we also need more guys like these who remind us that this poo poo is supposed to be fun.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Half in the Bag is watchable sometimes as long as Rich Evans isn't on it

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm almost done with season 2 of Twin Peaks. How necessary is it to watch Fire Walk With Me before season 3?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I'm almost done with season 2 of Twin Peaks. How necessary is it to watch Fire Walk With Me before season 3?

100% necessary. Hurry up, because it's available on Showtime Anytime until the end of May (so you have today and tomorrow).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

rich evans describing the plot of double down on best of the worst is easily one of the high points of that entire show

he's a polarizing figure

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I actually can't stand when people do reviews for lovely movies. I want to see passionate people talking about good ones. Chez Lindsay does a good job critiquing crap movies but she only does like 1 video a month and she's the exception.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

You know what's more entertaining and WAY more emotionally rewarding than RLM? Ecomog. They have their own (arguably problematic) gimmick of lampooning street culture, and you're not going to get much deep analysis from them. On the other hand, their reactions are funny as poo poo, their geek cred is legit, and they're RELENTLESSLY positive. On the rare instance that they go negative, like their review of Independence Day: Resurgence, it comes from a place of honest-to-god disappointment and not some attempt to score cool points by blindly attacking the establishment.

We need channels and people that'll dive deep and talk about movies in a literate and entertaining way. But we also need more guys like these who remind us that this poo poo is supposed to be fun.

I'll give it a try but you know how I feel about positivity.

Mu Zeta posted:

Rich Evans is a goddamn national treasure and his laugh heals cancer children and calls forth angels from heaven.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually can't stand when people do reviews for lovely movies. I want to see passionate people talking about good ones. Chez Lindsay does a good job critiquing crap movies but she only does like 1 video a month and she's the exception.

Ecomog puts all their reviews into their general "reactions" playlist, but if you just search "ecomog review" on YouTube you'll get a bunch of them; just pick a movie you were into, chances are they were into it too. Again, all their reviews basically boil down to "This part was crazy, this part was crazy, this part was crazy, YO THIS MOVIE WAS FLAMES, SON," so stay away if you prefer people who will break a movie down, but their enthusiasm makes up the ground for me.

Also, hi, I'm just gonna go ahead and plug the essay series I've been doing for my friend's site if you want more passionate people talking about good movies...or at least, movies they like. You can also check here for other stuff I write for them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

On second thought I won't be giving that a shot...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Rich is funny but he's also completely unable to remove himself from his personal biases when reviewing things and is also an obnoxious edgelord about certain topics so I agree that he is not good in Half in the Bag.

This is a guy who refused to watch the late 90s Xtreme Ghostbusters cartoon because it had a new "politically correct" diverse cast.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm on the final three episodes of the first season of The Leftovers and it feels like it's starting to pick up a little. Hopefully the season closes out strong and I can start season two, which I've heard so much about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In best news of the week, it seems Steven Spielberg is getting the band back together: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/animaniacs-reboot-steven-spielberg-amblin-1201817336/

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I really didn't enjoy Leftovers season 1 all that much. It just felt like "Prestige Drama: The Series".

It gets way better in seasons 2 and 3. I know season 2 gets a ton of love around here, but so far I've been enjoying season 3 even more.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The past episode was maybe a series best, or at least top 2. I continue to be impressed by how loving good that show is.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

I mostly just find it annoying because they do the same thing every other disgruntled 30-somthing male on the internet does where they constantly complain about how much modern movies suck but they still see almost nothing but big stupid blockbusters so they can complain about how disappointing they were. It's especially bad because they're actually in a position to influence people by cluing them into smaller movies they might not see otherwise, they don't even have the excuse of being in Milwaukee anymore since independent films almost always hit VOD at the same time they hit theaters now.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I've been wondering for a month or two now and I guess this thread might have the answer: is there a reason Netflix is putting up seasons of its established shows (Master of None, Kimmy Schmidt, House of Cards, and I think OitNB has a new season out any day now too, plus apparently F is for Family if you include that in the same show tier)? It's cool that they're doing it and all but is it intentionally timed to now as a power grab (the spring season is ending so we all have more time to watch Netflix) or just a weird case of the stars aligning?

It seems like giving each one two or three weeks to breathe instead of just one would make a sporadic subscriber drag out their subscription a bit longer but maybe they're going for a WOW THERE'S SO MUCH NEW STUFF ON NETFLIX YOU GOTTA CHECK IT OUT vibe? (I guess I'm also assuming that these shows have a huge overlapping audience which might not be the case?)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not sure the Kimmy Schmidt and House of Cards audiences have that much overlap.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cockblocktopus posted:

I've been wondering for a month or two now and I guess this thread might have the answer: is there a reason Netflix is putting up seasons of its established shows (Master of None, Kimmy Schmidt, House of Cards, and I think OitNB has a new season out any day now too, plus apparently F is for Family if you include that in the same show tier)? It's cool that they're doing it and all but is it intentionally timed to now as a power grab (the spring season is ending so we all have more time to watch Netflix) or just a weird case of the stars aligning?

It seems like giving each one two or three weeks to breathe instead of just one would make a sporadic subscriber drag out their subscription a bit longer but maybe they're going for a WOW THERE'S SO MUCH NEW STUFF ON NETFLIX YOU GOTTA CHECK IT OUT vibe? (I guess I'm also assuming that these shows have a huge overlapping audience which might not be the case?)

I don't think there's as much overlap as you might think, and there's also a bunch of shows you aren't interested in that slipped so far below your radar you didn't know they came out (did you know netflix made a how to train your dragon show?). And yeah there is no doubt a team of very smart numbers people making a great deal of of money calculating how best to dole out the new releases to keep subscriptions up.

X-O posted:

In best news of the week, it seems Steven Spielberg is getting the band back together: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/animaniacs-reboot-steven-spielberg-amblin-1201817336/

Speaking of, when does that new Ducktails reboot with The Doctor playing Scrooge come out?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

Speaking of, when does that new Ducktails reboot with The Doctor playing Scrooge come out?

Sometime this year. I'm more wary of that one though as I don't think it has any of the original people involved. It's going to need more than a flashy voice cast with Lin-Manual Miranda as Gizmoduck to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

precision posted:

[Bloodline] Season 2 is still quite good. I've heard 3 gets pretty nuts.

Mulva posted:

[Bloodline] Season 3 clearly shows the efforts of stunted storylines and things they wanted to do more with but didn't have the time. Were they able to cobble together a mostly thematic ending? Sort of, but it's still clear that isn't what they set out to make.

Wow, you guys weren't kidding. The latter half of Bloodline season 3 goes into serious WTF-land.

Oh well, on to House of Cards season 5, then, I swear I'm gonna start my summer gym program.

• Locked thread