Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Some certified mail came from the NOSC today, but no one was home to sign!

I'll go grab it tomorrow but I'm going to assume my IRR chit got approved and it's my discharge stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

PneumonicBook posted:

Some certified mail came from the NOSC today, but no one was home to sign!

I'll go grab it tomorrow but I'm going to assume my IRR chit got approved and it's my discharge stuff.

Feels good bro.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Any Hawaii Bros have any big island suggestions? Impromptu vacation on the long weekend.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Stone bridge hike on hawaii is the poo poo

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Back from field training. The EO driving the bus almost slammed into a small hatchback on the highway on our drive back. We passed the exercise with flying colors, somehow. It was not a great time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What side you hanging at? If you're limited in time I'd probably just stay at one. I know Hilo is or did get built up a lot. I find the big island pretty meh in comparison. Kauai is absolutely unreal and everyone needs to go once

Anyways I have family--Hilo--that's been there a long time so I can ask if you legit need more niche suggestions

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yo, here's some (probably) upcoming stuff:

Market place detailing - Combined C-WAY and CMSID. You compete for a billet to stay in the Navy. Currently, you're asking to stay in the Navy (C-WAY), then competing for a billet (CMSID). Lots of Sailors get a reenlistment quota, then decide to separate. A combined system means that you're asking to stay in the Navy to transfer, doing both at the same time. It'll probably be years before this is all worked out, because it's an IT nightmare.

Elimination of E-4 exams for 20+ rates that will advance out of A school.

E-4 through E-6 +2 years HYT (now 10, 16, 22), happening soon.

YN/PS/NC rating merger (HR rating?).

Expanded CMSID window, three 2 month long windows starting at 12 months to PRD. (Ties into C-WAY, where you request a reenlistment quota 12 months prior to PRD/EAOS)

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 28, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DustyNuts posted:

Elimination of E-4 exams for 20+ rates that will advance out of A school.

Some sort of time based auto advancement for those who get busted down during A school or back to E-3 later in life?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Not clear on details, but it'll probably be a matter of months after a Sailor arrives to the command before they can request advancement to E-4.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Anyone who still has their coveralls (lol if you're still in of course) can, with basic hemming skills, be on the cutting edge of this year's fashion.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stultus Maximus posted:

Anyone who still has their coveralls (lol if you're still in of course) can, with basic hemming skills, be on the cutting edge of this year's fashion.

drat it I dug out my old pair to goof a picture of this.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

CMD598 posted:

I just want orders back to cvw5

Welp.:smuggo:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

already have a set of cutoffs that I've worn in the taco truck. comfy as gently caress

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Mr. Nice wears a romper in his taco truck. I bet you have a loving fidget spinner too, don't you? Got a sick vape game too?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I bet a taco truck could make bank selling fidget spinners on the side

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
*triggered*

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Mr. Nice wears a romper in his taco truck. I bet you have a loving fidget spinner too, don't you? Got a sick vape game too?

Had no idea what a fidget spinner was until a few weeks ago and gently caress vaping unless its got some good oil in it.

I did the romper mostly because a booty call dared me and i've got plenty of coveralls anyways.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Shim settling into delusional old shut-in mode at breakneck speed.

I haven't seen a fidget spinner IRL and I live next to a college campus.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Shim settling into delusional old shut-in mode at breakneck speed.

I haven't seen a fidget spinner IRL and I live next to a college campus.

I collected 12 of the drat things in the last month.
I teach in middle school.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I teach in middle school.

I don't know how you do it.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I don't know how you do it.

You can put up with a lot of poo poo after the Navy and only need half the alcohol a normal person would require

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Our post field exercise 96, which we would have gotten at least 72 of regardless due to the holiday, has been pulled due to two DUIs in two days and all hands formation at 07 tomorrow. Looking forward to some great training on how to continue not getting a DUI

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Our post field exercise 96, which we would have gotten at least 72 of regardless due to the holiday, has been pulled due to two DUIs in two days and all hands formation at 07 tomorrow. Looking forward to some great training on how to continue not getting a DUI

YOU SHOULD BE THERE AT ALL TIMES READY TO TELL YOUR SHIPMATE THEY'VE HAD ENOUGH. FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My year group is over 100% manning now, I can not wait to leave this loving unit.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

My year group is over 100% manning now, I can not wait to leave this loving unit.

Still glad i'm out. Day to day I have less spare money than when I was in, even though I am making over 2x as much, but having less stress to deal with in the workplace as in no stupidass training, no all hands calls where they shame us for not stopping windowlickers from drinking and driving, and no having to clean the office ourselves and stand watch or dumb poo poo like that.

Civ life is the tits.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Starting a summer internship today, looking forward to this civilian work life you speak of

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Boon posted:

Starting a summer internship today, looking forward to this civilian work life you speak of

Congrats!

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

Boon posted:

Hell yeah! Congrats!

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Pro Tip:

Please DO NOT come into my office (a professional setting of sorts) and begin telling stories about "some bull dyke". I will, sadly, have to fall back into :chiefsay: mode and take you out in the hallway to explain why that poo poo doesn't fly in an office. Especially when one of my coworkers is gay...

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

maffew buildings posted:

Thanks for validating my decision to gtfo, I do not miss this particular brand of horseshit one bit

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

We had some rock talk about how do we eliminate these problems. Change our institutional culture of normalized and accepted binge drinking is not on the table. Junior personnel are afraid they will get in trouble if they get drunk and call someone for a ride. Bosses say that's absurd, but considering people get in trouble for showing up on time and being alive I can see where it comes from, even if it is absurd and unfounded. Mandatory how not to destroy your life briefing tomorrow for all hands.

We have had three DUIs in three weeks. The battalion sees a problem but you know what I see? Consistency.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Well I'm going to give some effective but potentially bad behavior enabling advise. Personal experience participating but never needing the service because I'm not an idiot in the first place and

Most of the guys in my department quietly hired a good lawyer on retainer and pooled a huge chuck of cash that was deposited with a bail bondsman. On the rare occasion someone did do something stupid (not just a dui, which happened twice in 2 years) the command was never notified of the full extent. They called the bondsman. Got out. Lawyers up, and had he charges reduced or dismissed.

Then at the end if the case did get settled to a misdemeanor or something that you had to tell the command the command was smart enough to not press for details outside of the final settlement. If the guy got masted it was for the minor charge and not something career killing.

Granted having the number of a lawyer and bondsman in your wallet is just good insurance if you can afford it anyway.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah these are Seabees. We're just happy when the dude is in their own vehicle and not a stolen government one or having hit multiple parked cars or physically assaulted someone when they're arrested

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

These were some of the most worthless trainings I ever went to. "DUI's cost a lot of money and might cost you or someone else yer life!!" Yeah, very true. But I'm pretty sure that's not exactly going through Drunky McDrunkerson's brain while he's fumbling for his keys. People are going to do dumb poo poo no matter how many trainings and Stand Downs they go to.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Boatgoons,

My younger brother has been off at summer camp (OCS) for the better part of a month now. I recently found out that I'll be traveling overseas to get married in Mrs. Burd's stomping grounds in China. Little bro was super down to go watch the spectacle, but got dropped down a class the other week and is getting out later than expected. Funnily enough, his graduation will now be taking place the same day as our wedding. I may be able to shift things back a few days/a week, but that's a best case scenario due to fun cultural beliefs and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer here, but (assuming I get the date moved back) what's the over-under on getting a passport applied for him between now and then? Can he even leave the country between him wrapping up OCS and shipping off to Pensacola?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Why would he not be able to apply for a passport? Does Navy OCS not allow off-base privileges at any point? Hell, he can probably do it at the base post office, if it's a real one.

Travel overseas...he'll need to apply for leave, probably have to explain to his command why he wants to go overseas, and report it so it's on his security clearance record. The USAF would allow a new O-1 to go in the hole on leave for a few days because obviously you can't have much saved up yet...assuming the Navy does something similar, and assuming the people that need to sign his paperwork aren't assholes, and assuming it's not already too late for a passport to be issued, it's a solid maybe. The timing is probably going to be a pain, because his leave will probably need to go through his gaining command at Pensacola so he'll have to report there before getting any kind of permission.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I thought China was on the no-go list for active.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I missed the "China" part, but I've known a couple of people who've gone in the past couple of years. Whether a new O-1 will get that approved vs an O-3/O-4 is a whole different question.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yeah, I figured that it wouldn't work out regardless. I also have no idea how military bases work, so him beboping over to the local USPS on base makes sense. I guess they get freetime? So in lieu of that, what amount of time should I wait before starting to gently caress with him? I've got a Top Gun VHS, a volleyball, coconut oil, aviators, and some jorts sourced. I've been musing over tossing in a nice sun hat/dress for the "counselor" that will invariably be going through all this as well.

Edit: Also a cassette tape that consists of nothing but Playing With the Boys on it (original, but the dance version is on there once in the middle to mix things up).

Warbird fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
China isn't completely blacklisted for travel, but it does take a lot of paperwork to approve. It would be even more of a pain in the rear end to get it + a passport done during OCS, but it should still be possible if he works through his chain of command. They don't let you off base to go get Starbucks, but for legitimate admin stuff they should be more accommodating.