Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Despera posted:

If Bernie isn't the far left, nobody of importance exists in that area.

Well, yeah. Nobody of importance in US politics does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Ice Phisherman posted:

I 100% agree that wages need to go up. I agree that wages have been stagnant for a long, long time. I just don't want wages to be pegged to inflation is all.

So what's your take on it then? Why should or should not minimum wage be pegged to inflation? What key ideas did I miss since you're pointing them out.

min wage needs to be pegged to inflation or hell, ive seen proposals pegging it to median wages

i tend to favor this because i think keeping up wage growth beyond the rate of the increase in prices is what we mean when we look at how people can obtain a basic standard of living

if what we can get is pegged to inflation is a good start though because minwage workers will still be making more than they are now, both in nominal and in real dollars

the key thought i think you're missing out on is picking a semi-arbitrary number and leaving minwage there isn't necessarily smart, and having these mechanisms in place to maintain a certain standard is actually cool and good

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Fulchrum posted:

Kay, you got any responses that couldn't be taken word for word from racists refusing to back down from claiming "moderate Muslims don't oppose terrorism"?

That's a pretty loony way to characterize what I'm saying.

quote:

You people were given an unprecedented level of influence and power in writing the platform in 2016

No one cares about the 2016 Democratic Party platform. What matters are what the leaders of the party, and particularly its nominees, run on.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

By pegging wages to inflation we, as a society, can finally rid ourselves of the pedantic arguments that never loving change every time min wage needs a bump.

What I'm saying here is it's real loving stupid we have to raise it manually when there's a bazillion voodoo economic figures to tie it to.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

By pegging wages to inflation we, as a society, can finally rid ourselves of the pedantic arguments that never loving change every time min wage needs a bump.

also this

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Ice Phisherman posted:

I 100% agree that wages need to go up. I agree that wages have been stagnant for a long, long time. I just don't want wages to be pegged to inflation is all.

So what's your take on it then? Why should or should not minimum wage be pegged to inflation? What key ideas did I miss since you're pointing them out.

Australia has adjusted its minimum wage with inflation for 100 years, it's currently AU$17.70/hr and none of the things you're afraid of have happened there.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

That's a pretty loony way to characterize what I'm saying.

You mean in a way that makes it clear you're just shifting the goalposts because you are married to a specific worldview and facts don't matter to you?

quote:

No one cares about the 2016 Democratic Party platform. What matters are what the leaders of the party, and particularly its nominees, run on.
So again, shifting the goalposts.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

VitalSigns posted:

Australia has adjusted its minimum wage with inflation for 100 years, it's currently AU$17.70/hr and none of the things you're afraid of have happened there.

Huh. No poo poo?

Got any articles on that? I'm curious now. Always up for changing my opinion in the face of facts. :)

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

You know how there was that article...somewhere, I can't for the life of me recall where...a few years ago that was a look into how the tea party was basically a huge grifting operation, sucking craploads of money out of gullible idiots?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

cult member at airport posted:

I know the_donald is mostly bots at this point but I can't imagine how many frustrated young white men have bought into literal Nazi ideology because of that place. gently caress the reddit admins for keeping it around.

There's two theories for it.

1. The first sane theory that they just don't want to delete it and it looks political and they throw a tantrum and poo poo all over the rest of the site.
2. The second sane one is that at least one of the admins is a Trump supporter/donator and doesn't actually want it gone.

Then there's Comedy/Insane Option 3 which is that Reddit is semi-important to anyone but redditors and the FBI wants it open to gather information on the bots that post there.

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 30, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Fulchrum posted:

You mean in a way that makes it clear you're just shifting the goalposts because you are married to a specific worldview and facts don't matter to you?

Which facts would those be, exactly?

quote:

So again, shifting the goalposts.

And in what way have I shifted the goalposts?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Furnaceface posted:

Jeff Sessions is one evil motherfucker isnt he?
I thought John Ashcroft was bad for being a Dominionist. Jefferson Beauregard Sessions The Third shows that being a straight up White Supremacist is far worse.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

mynnna posted:

You know how there was that article...somewhere, I can't for the life of me recall where...a few years ago that was a look into how the tea party was basically a huge grifting operation, sucking craploads of money out of gullible idiots?

I think I might've read that same article. There's a difference here though.

No one is giving money to Zuckerberg and unless something monumental happens not enough money is going to be given to him for him to get his own gifting operation going. At least not in politics. Americans are going to be tired of billionaires come 2020.

Classtoise posted:

1. The first sane theory that they just don't want to delete it and it looks political and they throw a tantrum and poo poo all over the rest of the site.
2. The second sane one is that at least one of the admins is a Trump supporter/donator and doesn't actually want it gone.

Then there's Comedy/Insane Option 3 which is that Reddit is semi-important to anyone but redditors and the FBI wants it open to gather information on the bots that post there.

It's 2017 and it has to do with Trump. Always go with the insane comedy option. You're less likely to be surprised when the mundane poo poo isn't true again.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 30, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Which facts would those be, exactly?
The ones that were just presented to you and you dismissed as "weak tea".

quote:

And in what way have I shifted the goalposts?

"Perez does nothing to speak out against Big Business"
"Here are all the ways that Perez has spoken out."
"Well, its not angry enough for my liking."

"The far left compromise all the time and are never given any concessions"
"Dems conceded the entire Platform to them in 2016"
"Well, that doesn't count because I still hated Hillary!"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

ice phisherman

take a peep here for analysis on pegging minwage to median wages

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

So, in other words, you're upset that I found Perez's bland lip service to economic justice not sufficient, and is, in fact, the least he could do.

Like it or not, this is about as fired up as Tom Perez gets. It's not exactly inspiring.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think I might've read that same article. There's a difference here though.

No one is giving money to Zuckerberg and unless something monumental happens not enough money is going to be given to him for him to get his own gifting operation going. At least not in politics. Americans are going to be tired of billionaires come 2020.

It's 2017 and it has to do with Trump. Always go with the insane comedy option. You're less likely to be surprised when the mundane poo poo isn't true again.

I keep forgetting we're in the Darkest Timeline.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Huh. No poo poo?

Got any articles on that? I'm curious now. Always up for changing my opinion in the face of facts. :)

The history of the Australian Minimum Wage

Looks like I wasn't correct, they have done it for 100 years but they did suspend indexation sometimes when the wage board recommended it such as during the inflation of the early 80s so you are right after all that inflation presents a problem (although they did still increase wages during those times, just not strictly by the amount of inflation). Having a commission make the recommendations seems to work well, although here in :911: something like that would probably be stacked by Republicans like they're doing to the FCC to force through new anti-consumer regulations on ISPs so :shrug:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 30, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

stone cold posted:

ice phisherman

take a peep here for analysis on pegging minwage to median wages

Consider it peeped. Or at least bookmarked for later peeping I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I wake up. :)

I'll freely admit when I'm wrong, or at least when I could be wrong. Thanks for the paper.

VitalSigns posted:

The history of the Australian Minimum Wage

Looks like I wasn't strictly correct, they did suspend indexation sometimes when the wage board recommended it such as during the inflation of the early 80s (although they did still increase wages during those times, just not strictly by the amount of inflation). Having a commission make the recommendations seems to work well, although here in :911: something like that would probably be stacked by Republicans like they're doing to the FCC to force through new anti-consumer regulations on ISPs so :shrug:

This I guess I'll take a look at later too. It's longer though than the six pages of the other.

I have to say that I love coming to SA to hear opinions and read the occasional paper. It's hard to get discourse on this level on other places on the internet. And I realize the irony of what I'm saying as this is a dying internet comedy forum as I've tried in other places and the moderation repeatedly fails.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 30, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

So, in other words, you're upset that I found these so called "moderate muslims" bland lip service against Islamic extremism not sufficient, and is, in fact, the least they could do.

You're really not making this parralel hard.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

You're really not making this parralel hard.

Yes, centrist Dems clearly face the same level of discrimination and bigotry that moderate Muslims do. Congratulations, Fulchrum, you've cracked the code.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Well now you're just baiting the lunatics who think Perez is a neoliberal scumbag.

Majorian posted:

Yes, centrist Dems clearly face the same level of discrimination and bigotry that moderate Muslims do. Congratulations, Fulchrum, you've cracked the code.

Fish and barrels.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Majorian posted:

So, in other words, you're upset that I found Perez's bland lip service to economic justice not sufficient, and is, in fact, the least he could do.

Like it or not, this is about as fired up as Tom Perez gets. It's not exactly inspiring.

It's not his job to get people fired up you dingus. He's the goddamned fundraiser (presidential division) and quadrennial party planner in chief.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Fulchrum posted:

"Perez does nothing to speak out against Big Business"
"Here are all the ways that Perez has spoken out."
"Well, its not angry enough for my liking."

"The far left compromise all the time and are never given any concessions"
"Dems conceded the entire Platform to them in 2016"
"Well, that doesn't count because I still hated Hillary!"

Fulchrum you should put all the effort you spend Aaron Sorkining this thread into getting laid or building benches or something.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

It's not his job to get people fired up you dingus. He's the goddamned fundraiser (presidential division) and quadrennial party planner in chief.

Right now, it absolutely is his job. He's the titular leader of the Democratic Party, and the base needs to be shown that the party is moving in a forward-thinking direction if it's not going to fracture. I know that the DNC chair's position has traditionally meant little more than being the chief fundraiser. But Perez can't afford to do just that anymore. The Dems are in pretty drat dire straits. They need leadership and messaging. So far, Perez isn't doing a particularly good job of either.

Paracaidas posted:

Fish and barrels.

Keep on smuggin' there.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 30, 2017

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Deak, Don't Speak

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

VitalSigns posted:

I remember when I was in Australia for a year way back in 2006 (it was $15/hr then). Food and clothing were a bit more expensive than back home (in Canada) but not insanely so, and it's not really clear that their high minimum wage plays any part in that. I remember wondering how it managed to work, at such a comparatively high wage, and why we couldn't have it in Canada, too.

It really does seem like we can just... have a high minimum wage, and the economy won't collapse. It barely seemed to change at all for them, in fact, they just had more people able to live more comfortably.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

So wait, you think the reason that this kind of argument is full of poo poo is racism, and not also because it makes it clear you have contempt for facts and just move the goalposts?

Camel Camus posted:

Fulchrum you should put all the effort you spend Aaron Sorkining this thread into getting laid or building benches or something.

How the gently caress am I supposed to do either when I'm at work?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

So wait, you think the reason that this kind of argument is full of poo poo is racism, and not also because it makes it clear you have contempt for facts and just move the goalposts?

It's an absurd comparison on the face of it, particularly since you don't seem to have any regard for the power differentials in the cases you try to compare. Centrist Democrats hold the power when it comes to the direction of Democratic Party messaging.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Paracaidas posted:

Fish and barrels.

my favorite part is majorian's implied arrogant casual bigotry that because perez can pass surely he never faced any anti-hispanic sentiment

real charming

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Classtoise posted:

Option 4, they genuinely believe that by not deleting it, they're keeping it contained from spreading to the internet at large.

Since Voat is choking to death, I'd say option 4 isn't really a worry.

Totally unrelated, I'm starting to think that France has the healthiest democracy because the French Revolution is so ingrained in their cultural blood that the wealthy know they're a guillotine and angry mob away from losing it all that balance needs to be maintained.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

stone cold posted:

my favorite part is majorian's implied arrogant casual bigotry that because perez can pass surely he never faced any anti-hispanic sentiment

That was not something I have ever implied. You're getting me mixed up with another poster.

e: Frijolero would be that poster, I believe.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 30, 2017

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Despera posted:

If Bernie isn't the far left, nobody of importance exists in that area.

it's almost like this country doesn't have an actual left

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Snuffman posted:

Option 4, they genuinely believe that by not deleting it, they're keeping it contained from spreading to the internet at large.

Since Voat is choking to death, I'd say option 4 isn't really a worry.

Totally unrelated, I'm starting to think that France has the healthiest democracy because the French Revolution is so ingrained in their cultural blood that the wealthy know they're a guillotine and angry mob away from losing it all that balance needs to be maintained.

Voat never had the same appeal as reddit and was full of the trash that reddit cast off. TD going to Voat would be the same as being sentenced to the comedy gas chamber.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

cult member at airport posted:

I'm extremely concerned...about this strange feeling I'm having :gay:

Take a guess about which president this is.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

logger posted:

Take a guess about which president this is.

AROOOOOOO.

NIXON'S BACK.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 30, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I seriously can't stopping laughing at the idea that Bernie Sanders, an actual elected American politician, represents the "far left." I'm not even sure that he represents the far left of mainstream politics in the US.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
goon project: let's get some black panthers elected to congress

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Paradoxish posted:

I seriously can't stopping laughing at the idea that Bernie Sanders, an actual elected American politician, represents the "far left." I'm not even sure that he represents the far left of mainstream politics in the US.

I think it's indicative of where American politics is, not indicative of what is left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rodatose posted:

goon project: let's get some black panthers elected to congress

Right?!

I think we can all guess what Fulchrum's position would be though:

quote:

Also, are you people seriously gonna keep pretending that the connections Ellison had to the Nation of Islam, things he himself has acknowledged, were all a big neoliberal lie?

• Locked thread