Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

My ideal FF7 remake are all the FF7 characters sitting around playing Triple Triad.

this but tetra master and only red xiii understands the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not canon, no one knows the rules

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They should release an HD minigame compilation on PS4 with trophies and stuff

Jump rope/Blitzball/Triple Triad together at last

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

The sheer balls to do the plot they did in the way they did it was impressive. Hell, the entire game has some really dark moments mixed with batshit insane moments of levity and it's a testament to the game's development and pacing that the player doesn't suffer intense tonal whiplash.

Tone whiplash is one of the many reasons I have never been able ato finish FFVI. (other reasons being its gameplay is boring as poo poo and also it was hyped so much that anything less than giving me an orgasm falls short of expectations)

Kefka kills all these people in this castle, right? Women, children, it's horrible. Right after that there is this goofy-rear end train segment where all anybody remembers is a guy can suplex the train. However I remember our hero sitting down at a ghost table and demanding the ghost waiters feed him ghost food. I think hewas banging on the table with little pixel utensils too like a manchild. Also you disconnected several compartments of train cars full of lost souls so I guess they just suffer for eternity?

And then, after all this incredibly cartoony bullshit, BAM. Cyan sees his wife and child getting on the train. Now all of a sudden it's very sad again as he desperately runs after his departing loved ones.

I've played FFVII and Xenogears and I know what it's like to have this schizo tone between super serious and absurd comedy. And I absolutely love both of those games and regard their plots very highly. But FFVI does it in a really strange way to me and maybe it's just hard for me to appreciate because I look at FFVI the way people coming into FFVII through Advent Children see things. I was told for years on FF forums about how deep and serious FFVI is. How Kefka literally ends the world and there's some suicide and I dunno what else. Then I pick up the game and there's fuckin' little Tarzan or whatever and Io unno what t omake of it all.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 29, 2017

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
NikkolasKing sighed as Sephiroth drew his katana.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
But every Final Fantasy game is incredibly goofy. Even stuff that plays its plots completely straight-faced, like FF2 and FF4, have weird stuff like a town of people living inside the stomach of Leviathan or buying a lifetime membership to a secret burlesque show (to say nothing of how crazy some of those plots are themselves). FF5 is probably when the series really began to embrace its goofy roots, and even despite the really grim aspects of FF6 and FF7, they also have some of the most over-the-top ridiculous moments to bring some levity and keep things somewhat light.

Honestly I'm really glad these games have a sense of humor about themselves.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not gonna try to defend the games combat or whatever, but the sole reason you've given for disliking FF6s mood whiplash is that you formed your opinion of the game through half-understood discussion from what was most likely a small subset of the games fandom and it gave you the impression that FF6 was serious the entire way through. I'm actually shocked that you apparently managed to miss every "son of a submariner!" and "don't tease the octopus, kids!" meme in between the super serious discussions about Kefka murdering everyone, cuz that shits literally all I knew going in to the game.

Either way the Ghost Train section is incredible from start to finish.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NK thinks FF3 DS is a good game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If anything, all the goofy poo poo happening on the Phantom Train simply makes the ending hit harder. It's a nice break from the serious poo poo of Doma, you finally leave from your goofy train adventure, and there's Cyan's wife and son ready to go to the afterlife, which makes the impact hit harder. Cyan's had more time to develop and show his goofy side (his insecurity about machines, his antics with Sabin, his distrust of ghostly cuisine) which makes the impact of him realizing he's truly lost his family all the more devastating.

I kinda wonder if 6 and 7's plots would be as highly esteemed without all the crazy lighthearted stuff to break up the big moments.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
FF7R should just be a loop of Zack's death but in the background you hear the Tidus laugh instead of Why

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

The sheer balls to do the plot they did in the way they did it was impressive. Hell, the entire game has some really dark moments mixed with batshit insane moments of levity and it's a testament to the game's development and pacing that the player doesn't suffer intense tonal whiplash.
But enough about FF8.

(which has a terrible plot and fairly poor pacing but goddamn is it ever whiplash to the brim)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ipWtjyuIM

but during the crossdressing segment in the Slums. What does it mean, the final fantasy fan will wonder? What indeed, Nomura leans back in his chair and puts on the Emil mask

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

If anything, all the goofy poo poo happening on the Phantom Train simply makes the ending hit harder. It's a nice break from the serious poo poo of Doma, you finally leave from your goofy train adventure, and there's Cyan's wife and son ready to go to the afterlife, which makes the impact hit harder. Cyan's had more time to develop and show his goofy side (his insecurity about machines, his antics with Sabin, his distrust of ghostly cuisine) which makes the impact of him realizing he's truly lost his family all the more devastating.

I kinda wonder if 6 and 7's plots would be as highly esteemed without all the crazy lighthearted stuff to break up the big moments.

I think people underestimate how important levity and humor is to making serious things hit hard. This is generally true of all fiction. Moments of simple humanizing silliness do a whole lot to make the serious stuff feel more real because you've connected it to the lighthearted stuff. It's why something like Harry Potter hit so brutally for some people because it spent several books of lighthearted adventure before it started dropping violent horror on the cast and JK Rowling was smart enough to focus pretty heavily on the 'silly' characters in to build them up for their inevitable demises. Obviously you don't need as wacky stuff as FF does but having levity and humor helps a lot. (For another S-E example, Yoko Taro does a lot of goofy and silly stuff in his games which is necessary to help sell the unrelenting horror.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I'm not gonna try to defend the games combat or whatever, but the sole reason you've given for disliking FF6s mood whiplash is that you formed your opinion of the game through half-understood discussion from what was most likely a small subset of the games fandom and it gave you the impression that FF6 was serious the entire way through. I'm actually shocked that you apparently managed to miss every "son of a submariner!" and "don't tease the octopus, kids!" meme in between the super serious discussions about Kefka murdering everyone, cuz that shits literally all I knew going in to the game.

Either way the Ghost Train section is incredible from start to finish.

I admitted my time online colored my expectations because while I did hear about son-of-a-submariner and Ultros, I heard far more about how Kefka is the only FF villain whoever succeeded and spent the rest of the game keeping people in perpetual terror and hopelessness. Kind of inevitable when my main experience with VI is having it used in comparison to the other games I have played. If we're talking which FF is the darkest or has the best villain or stuff like that, certain parts of VI will be over-represented. (I don't think I've ever talked about which FF is the funniest, or what are the funniest moments. Huh.)

I never once said I was right or anything, just listed my experience. I'm not saying the game is bad. I never even finished it so my opinion on its quality is irrelevant. (more irrelevant than usual, if you prefer)

Mega64 posted:

It's a good question. I've wondered if at least some of the hatred for XIII's plot is due to how seriously the game takes itself with almost no levity or comedic relief.

I can't imagine FFVII without the funny bits, though. It's all part of the great tapestry.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 30, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

I admitted my time online colored my expectations because while I did hear about son-of-a-submariner and Ultros, I heard far more about how Kefka is the only FF villain whoever succeeded and spent the rest of the game keeping people in perpetual terror and hopelessness. Kind of inevitable when my main experience with VI is having it used in comparison to the other games I have played. If we're talking which FF is the darkest or has the best villain or stuff like that, certain parts of VI will be over-represented. (I don't think I've ever talked about which FF is the funniest, or what are the funniest moments. Huh.)

I never once said I was right or anything, just listed my experience. I'm not saying the game is bad. I never even finished it so my opinion on its quality is irrelevant. (more irrelevant than usual, if you prefer)

It's a good question. I've wondered if at least some of the hatred for XIII's plot is due to how seriously the game takes itself with almost no levity or comedic relief.

I can't imagine FFVII without the funny bits, though. It's all part of the great tapestry.

i can remember lots of funny bits from 13, its just a poo poo game that is a tedious bore to play

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

who wouldn't eat ghost food

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

i can remember lots of funny bits from 13, its just a poo poo game that is a tedious bore to play

13 had (intentional) funny bits? I thought it was just constant "I'm serious mrs serious i'm always serious" *punches snow* and "MY MOM IS DEAAAAAAAD"

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The only parts I remember from 13 are the funny bits because all of the serious stuff was lame

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Leal posted:

13 had (intentional) funny bits? I thought it was just constant "I'm serious mrs serious i'm always serious" *punches snow* and "MY MOM IS DEAAAAAAAD"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN1Y8nEYg80

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You aren't supposed to laugh at the line "Moms are tough" followed by immediate momicide, but I did.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
https://youtu.be/FBrHWgg522U

:psyduck:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Guy was an effective villain because the game didn't sit there and tell you about him (like Krelian). It showed you. You put two and two together and figured him out, and it's appropriately horrific. You've been told all about him, so in practice it's all underwhelming.

corn in the bible posted:

I certainly remember it trying to be funny and falling flat. Full disclosure edit: I quit playing less than ten hours in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are actually different quality wools you can collect, too. It's like the planned a way more detailed minigame/mechanic/sidequest but instead its just a weird cutscene and some one-off items.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Guy was an effective villain because the game didn't sit there and tell you about him (like Krelian). It showed you. You put two and two together and figured him out, and it's appropriately horrific. You've been told all about him, so in practice it's all underwhelming.

True. It be kind of like if I went into Xenogears knowing all about Miang.

But, what can you do.

@FFXIII Humor

I have never seen either the Sazh or Vanille scenes posted. The only comedy I remember from XIII is the dumb color code gag in the Palamecia and the weird robot things Hope can pilot twice for some reason.

XIII is very much up its own rear end to a ridiculous extent. I thought that was part of why people liked the sequels. They have approximately 500% more intentional silliness and self-awareness.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

something about kefka that doesn't really apply in a post 90's world, is, everyone who's vaguely heard of ff6 before automatically knows kefka is the bad guy just through osmosis, but I don't think you would really expect it going in blind. he's just like, the dirtbag comedy relief lunatic that every jrpg has who you assume is gonna fall off a cliff at some point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leal posted:

It has a lot of attempted humor, like the weird color coding thing when they're invading the ship and such. If it succeeds is up for debate. 13-2 and LR at least go a lot more all-in on the humor.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Once you hit the world of ruin in FF6, I can't think of too many tone shifts outside of Jidoor embracing it's upper class roots and Thamasa going back to being a cooky wizard town.

The first time playing through that I only felt despair. I hosed up and killed Cid so Celes attempts suicide (looking back, I think this it's probably the darkest the series has ever gone), then you see a town get wrecked in order to recruit Sabin. Terra gets owned, your first fight with Edgar back is a real bitch. Hell, once you get the airship, the airship music is incredibly solemn, and Deathgaze can attack you at any moment.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
https://youtu.be/DLKSFPrD_Tk

It's not really a 'funny' scene per se, but I always enjoyed Lightning's reaction. It's pretty understandable considering her sister, who she has been taken care of since they became orphans, just told her she has turned unto a walking WMD and decided to marry the village idiot.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

seiferguy posted:

(looking back, I think this it's probably the darkest the series has ever gone)

I dunno, in FFT, Barrington burned Rafa and Malak's village, told them he saved them, used their magic to assassinate his enemies, and raped Rafa. then he gloats about all of this before trying to shoot her, when Malak steps in the way and dies (to be resurrected later, but still)

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Yeah, but nobody realized it until WotL because the original translation's plot was straight up gibberish.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Renoistic posted:

https://youtu.be/DLKSFPrD_Tk

It's not really a 'funny' scene per se, but I always enjoyed Lightning's reaction. It's pretty understandable considering her sister, who she has been taken care of since they became orphans, just told her she has turned unto a walking WMD and decided to marry the village idiot.
It's still a pretty lovely reaction. Replace l'Cie with cancer. Would you basically call someone a shithead for popping the question after their significant other admitted they had cancer? Only thing it does is reinforce that Lightning's both self-centered and socially inept to a large degree.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think it even attempts to paint it as anything but irrational and dumb though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't think it even attempts to paint it as anything but irrational and dumb though.

irrational and dumb is also Snow's m.o. to a T.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Definitely not. She spends most of the game regretting what she said, and in Lightning Returns you can read her reflections on their relationship, where she basically goes "I tried to be a mother and a sister and that didn't work out too well".

Varance posted:

It's still a pretty lovely reaction. Replace l'Cie with cancer. Would you basically call someone a shithead for popping the question after their significant other admitted they had cancer? Only thing it does is reinforce that Lightning's both self-centered and socially inept to a large degree.

Her being socially inept from having a pretty lovely childhood pretty much is her entire character at that point. Also, she takes it as a lovely joke on her expense and reacts badly.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 30, 2017

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
The Celes suicide scene was one of the few moments my Edgelord young self went "no" at and reloaded the game to save Cid.

As somebody whose only ever recently allowed themselves to watch an Anime or two, tonal whiplash just seems a staple of the medium? No matter what I'm watching or playing, Japanese stuff goes from furry creatures fourth wall breaking with permenant "xD" expressions to someone's mother being raped and murdered. Even Berserk can't help itself. I think Final Fantasy games aren't better or worse in this regard.

-edit- Saying that, I don't remember FF8 being anything but super goddamned serious all the time, bar Selphie moments.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every Final Fantasy is the most serious thing... Except for the funny parts :xd:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

maev posted:

The Celes suicide scene was one of the few moments my Edgelord young self went "no" at and reloaded the game to save Cid.

As somebody whose only ever recently allowed themselves to watch an Anime or two, tonal whiplash just seems a staple of the medium? No matter what I'm watching or playing, Japanese stuff goes from furry creatures fourth wall breaking with permenant "xD" expressions to someone's mother being raped and murdered. Even Berserk can't help itself. I think Final Fantasy games aren't better or worse in this regard.

-edit- Saying that, I don't remember FF8 being anything but super goddamned serious all the time, bar Selphie moments.

There were some other funny moments in FF8. When the Galbadian Army takes over Balamb if you have Zell in your party and go to his house, every character will take the opportunity to tell an embarrassing story about him. There's also Raijin and Fujin's dynamic. Raijin would say something dumb, Fujin would kick his shin. Also the porno mag side quest for the Shiva card was funny. Not much humor towards the end, but it did have moments where I genuinely laughed.

As far as FFXV goes, I think it's my favorite since X (XIV is an MMO, so it doesn't "count" for me even though I really enjoy it). The team dynamic felt really genuine, the plot meandered toward the end but when the story hit its beats it did a great job, the game is beautifully rendered, and I had a great time with it even with the weird ending. Second platinum I ever got and I had a great time pretty much the whole way through, but I also did not mainline it and play it for 40 hrs straight like some people did. I really took my time with it and played it in chunks. When the game invariably glitched on me I put it down and played other stuff.

XV is a fun, beautiful, flawed game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
RE: FF13 humor

There's also Sahz complaining through half of the walk through Sunleth Waterscape about how much the place sucks. And Sahz intentionally mispronouncing the villains name in several ways up till the end is pretty funny as well ("Slimearch", among others).

13 does have lots of little bits of humor. It's just very small things though that are usually hidden away or non-obvious compared to the other silly scenes in the series.

Varance posted:

Treating the l'Cie reveal like cancer isn't completely accurate, though. One of the important things to get out of that scene is that Serah is a Pulse l'Cie, almost akin to a traitor and would be an enemy to Cocoon/Lightning.

Apparently it's clarified in the novellas that Lightning had only just recently met Snow and told he was dating Serah, where upon she asked him to back off. It goes into how Lightning felt regret about Serah and feeling like she caused her sister to feel loneliness, and that she thought the l'Cie story was made up so that Serah could run away with Snow (which obviously was feed from her earlier regret). If you read into it that way, it isn't really a lovely reaction. It's paranoid for sure, but understandable given both how unlikely it was to suddenly turn into a Pulse l'Cie out of nowhere and Lightning's troubled feelings about her sister.

maev posted:

A lot of things with intense drama have comedy in it, not just anime. For one example in American TV, Breaking Bad had tons of intense drama in it all-throughout. It also had lots of comedic scenes, often times within the same episodes as the intense drama. You can see this everywhere in other shows as well. The real issue comes down to balancing the amount of comedy/drama and the pacing of those elements so that they don't intersect quite so close to each other, ending up spoiling the mood.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Morby posted:

XV is a fun, beautiful, flawed game.

There are people who have legitimately said the same drat thing about Final Fantasy XIII. This proves that all Square-Enix can make since the merger are Final Fantasy XIII knock offs disguised as other games. Lightning makes a background cameo in every single S-E game from now to the end of time, I bet you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man almost serious replied to Gologle post just then