Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Majorian posted:

Right?!

I think we can all guess what Fulchrum's position would be though:

Just kiss already. Gosh. :v:

edit: Doggo tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

As a politician, when 8th graders know who you are even though you're not the President and that you're a huge pile of poo poo, you know things are going sideways fast. Maybe Ryan should've given out some of his lifting pics...

In middle school I _might_ have been able to name the Vice President but that would've been a stretch since Dan Quayle didn't come on the scene until I was in High School.

Wasn't Reagan's VP just a statue of a woolly mammoth with a bible and a chastity belt?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Ice Phisherman posted:

No shipping!

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think it's indicative of where American politics is, not indicative of what is left.

Yup. Pro-labor rhetoric that was perfectly mainstream in the mid-60's has been verboten since 1968.

RandomBlue posted:

Wasn't Reagan's VP just a statue of a woolly mammoth with a bible and a chastity belt?

Someone shop H.W. Bush's head onto a wooly mammoth please?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think it's indicative of where American politics is, not indicative of what is left.

It's really not, though. Despite being an independent, Bernie Sanders is roughly in line with the left wing of the Democratic party. The left never really went anywhere, the Democratic center just retreated to the right in the post-Reagan/Thatcher era.

edit- a better way to put this might be that the Democratic tent has expanded as they've become the party of "not Republicans"

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 30, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

poo poo the Black Panther Caucus would have never let that elf in as AG.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Martian Manfucker posted:

feeling bad for all the Americans who don't read canpol and haven't had PT6A on ignore for 4 years.

this memorial day is for you *hangs head*

TRUE Awful Americans don't just stand idly by and ignore imminent threats to ARE FORUM FREEEEEDOOOOOMS!!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Paradoxish posted:

It's really not, though. Despite being an independent, Bernie Sanders is roughly in line with the left wing of the Democratic party. The left never really went anywhere, the Democratic center just retreated to the right in the post-Reagan/Thatcher era.

I agree in part. I was really talking about "this is the most left politician that will get elected today". Not the American public which is politically all over the place.

quote:

edit- a better way to put this might be that the Democratic tent has expanded as they've become the party of "not Republicans"

:sigh:

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 30, 2017

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

You know, we could let you have Trudeau. He would still be pretty left by American standards. Up here he has pretty much come out as the best PM the conservatives never voted for.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

The left never really went anywhere

That's the problem. The mythical left of the '60s got crushed and never overcame that crippling disadvantage. It was in the shadow of that defeat that the Democratic Party was forced to shift as Reagan's* cultural defeat of the left pushed the country to the right.

*not actually his doing, but symbolized by him and committed by his masters.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Furnaceface posted:

You know, we could let you have Trudeau. He would still be pretty left by American standards. Up here he has pretty much come out as the best PM the conservatives never voted for.

Sold. What would you like in return? We give back the Expos? The Cleveland Browns? A sack of hockey sticks?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Furnaceface posted:

I know Trudeau is a two-faced shitlord on a lot of things, but holy moly, the grass looks greener to us Americans on your side of the fence.

(I'm actually visiting Vancouver over the next couple days. Who knows, maybe I'll be spending more time there over the next four years!)

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
let's get some poc liberation marxists some spots in statehouses and some assault rifles for them to defend it with. also we rig the statehouse so that any time a flabby rich white oldman tries to say something about sincerely held beliefs or traditional cultural values to counter them, a bucket of green doubledare slime pours its contents from the ceiling onto them

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Robot Hobo posted:

Frog emoji and Soup emoji... Unless she's talking about that scene in Empire Strikes Back when Yoda served Mark Hamill some soup, which doesn't seem relevant to this topic, I'm I have no idea what she's trying to say.

Edit:

Ohhhh, it's a cup of tea. I sort of forgot that the entire Republican platform is memes now, mostly frog-based. To be fair, reality is a bit too stupid these days for me to keep track.

gently caress it, I'm sticking with my interpretation. She's saying "Hey, remember that scene from Empire where Yoda fed you? I liked that." That's still less dumb than what she meant.

Anyone using memes for anything besides a cheap laugh has a super awesome life ahead of them.

On the other hand, if I'm wrong, in 30 years there'll be a few thousand Doctors of Memology making amazing breakthroughs on an hourly basis all over the world.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rodatose posted:

let's get some poc liberation marxists some spots in statehouses and some assault rifles for them to defend it with. also we rig the statehouse so that any time a flabby rich white oldman tries to say something about sincerely held beliefs or traditional cultural values to counter them, a bucket of green doubledare slime pours its contents from the ceiling onto them

:agreed:

Also Olmec from "Legends of the Hidden Temple" for President.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Majorian posted:

I know Trudeau is a two-faced shitlord on a lot of things, but holy moly, the grass looks greener to us Americans on your side of the fence.

(I'm actually visiting Vancouver over the next couple days. Who knows, maybe I'll be spending more time there over the next four years!)

What's your problem with him? Legitimately asking as I know nothing more about him than the occasional 15 second spot on tv.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Mustached Demon posted:

Sold. What would you like in return? We give back the Expos? The Cleveland Browns? A sack of hockey sticks?

I will happily take back the Expos.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Why's that, exactly? (To the second part of that statement)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Majorian posted:

That was not something I have ever implied. You're getting me mixed up with another poster.

e: Frijolero would be that poster, I believe.

Majorian posted:

Yes, centrist Dems clearly face the same level of discrimination and bigotry that moderate Muslims do. Congratulations, Fulchrum, you've cracked the code.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Ice Phisherman posted:

edit: Doggo tax.

It's clearly a kissing pooch and a biting pooch. 2/5

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/869348397446307840

The big thing is that Kushner is in meeting with Trump for 5 loving hours a day.

It takes a lot of time and effort to keep those JO crystals charge up to King of the World levels. It'd be faster if Bannon joined in but he had his dick replaced with a noose decades ago.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
anyone who argues that giving minorities guns will lead to a dangerous reactionary backlash, i already took care of that with the doubledare slime. anyone who would have spoken up will be cowed into silence knowing they will be next to get green slime on them

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

The Expos and the recipe for those delicious chocolate nougat thingies they were selling in California and Nevada when I was last there.

Majorian posted:

Im terrified Trump in all his horrible glory will make Trudeau and his rightward shift go unnoticed, or even worse the new normal, by most Canadians because holy poo poo did you see what Trump just tried to do this time?

I have a lot of family in the USA and there are days they laugh at the political scandals we freak out over.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ice Phisherman posted:

What's your problem with him? Legitimately asking as I know nothing more about him than the occasional 15 second spot on tv.

He hasn't had a great record when it comes to labor or environmental policies. The Canada-Europe Trade Agreement has been pretty not-great. Also his environmental policies haven't been great either.

What does anything I posted have to do with Perez's race, or his ability to pass for white? You are projecting like crazy here.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Avirosb posted:

In one day alone, Trump's probably spent more time with Kushner than he has with Eric & Jr. their entire lives.

I wonder if he'd even recognize Barron if wasn't he near Melania.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 30, 2017

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
my presidential platform is:

-one free bag of drug of choice to every american every year
-dog vouchers
-shawarma saturdays
-keynesian infrastructure project: 20 new planned cities which will host all the refugees
-make some new states, ones that are majority-minority
-mean people outlawed!
-armed forces are too armed. start concentrating on leg day
-no more mandatory gender
-fix everything
-nothing wrong with me

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ice Phisherman posted:

Imagine that Hillary and Bernie were in different parties, and Hillary won, Trump (well, a sane republican) came second, and Bernie came third.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rodatose posted:

my presidential platform is:

-one free bag of drug of choice to every american every year
-dog vouchers
-shawarma saturdays
-keynesian infrastructure project: 20 new planned cities which will host all the refugees
-make some new states, ones that are majority-minority
-mean people outlawed!
-armed forces are too armed. start concentrating on leg day
-no more mandatory gender
-fix everything
-nothing wrong with me

I will 100% support leg day planks.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GreyjoyBastard posted:

On Kushner: well, Trump needs SOMEONE he trusts who also has an attention span present. I don't see the problem.

There's no evidence Jared has much of an attention span or intelligence. So far the actual info on him seems to be a younger, less overtly racist and offensive version of Trump that has at least figured out how to keep his loving mouth shut most of the time.

It'll be quite funny when Trump finds out Jared learned Trumpism only too well and figured out that one trick they don't want you to know, demand loyalty but shoot them in the loving head the moment you think they might inconvenience you in the slightest way.

Kushner ain't going to jail to keep an old man, who's knocking on death's door, from having to eat the poo poo he's been force feeding to his peons for decades now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PT6A posted:

Imagine that Hillary and Bernie were in different parties, and Hillary won, Trump (well, a sane republican) came second, and Bernie came third.

The left would have been critical of a centrist president if she didn't move to the left? Shocking.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

FizFashizzle posted:

how aint meghan mccain not married yet?

I don't mean that in a "women should get married" kinda way, just a "lets be real they still do arranged marriages among the rich and powerful" kinda way.

she must be loving nuts.

I've heard some say she's "deeply disturbed," and "deeply troubled" about things.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Trabisnikof posted:

That's the problem. The mythical left of the '60s got crushed and never overcame that crippling disadvantage. It was in the shadow of that defeat that the Democratic Party was forced to shift as Reagan's* cultural defeat of the left pushed the country to the right.

*not actually his doing, but symbolized by him and committed by his masters.

I don't really disagree all that much, except I think you're giving 90s Democrats too much credit by saying that the right "forced" them to do anything. We haven't really had any huge, lasting electoral victories in the post-Reagan era, and despite both Clinton and Obama being very popular presidents we still weren't able to stop Donald Trump from getting within a few percent of a popular vote win. The Democrats have been slowly drifting back to the left because the success of Third Wayism in the 90s was really a one shot thing.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 30, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Goddamn, conservatives are the whiniest little bitches I've ever seen.

:cry:critcizing me for my politics, that's just like religious persecution:cry:

Listening to conservative Democrats cry persecution about people disagreeing with them is almost as annoying as listening to conservative Republicans cry that science is the new Jim Crow against conservatives.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Majorian posted:

The left would have been critical of a centrist president if she didn't move to the left? Shocking.

I didn't say it was shocking, just giving a basic analogy for people who don't follow Canadian politics.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FizFashizzle posted:

Why?

gently caress, her father left his crippled first wife (who was waiting for him while in vietnam) on her hospital bed because he got hooked up with someone with money. It's just how it works.

She's young, attractive, her family is naval royalty and is from a world where people get married for political reasons.

I bet it's just that Kushner's always by his side, not that they're having actual meetings.

Like Kushner is who trump trusts to explain poo poo to him.

I like to imagine that the path information takes to finally get to Trump in some chicken nugget shaped bite-sized chunk, it's passed through a long line of increasingly stupid/ignorant people in some twisted version of the telephone game where the goal is to be as wrong as possible in 10 words or less while still having some relation to the original subject.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why's that, exactly? (To the second part of that statement)

He came in with a lot of progressive promises like national daycare, repealing some pretty terrible anti-terrorism bills that went way too far, voting reform (gently caress FPTP with a rusty rake), stopping the oil companies from turning Alberta into Mordor and push for better environmental protections, work on labour relations, etc...

And within 8 months walked back on about 60% of them and refused to mention the others while pushing forward a bunch of stuff that the previous Conservative (our right wing) party had in the works. My favourite is his "Middle class tax cut" that really only helped people making 200k annually.

I dont know who he would be most similar to in your system though. Probably Clinton? A true believer of the third way.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Right?!

I think we can all guess what Fulchrum's position would be though:

Wait, are you seriously trying to imply that the Nation of Islam and the Black Panthers were the same thing, or are in any way comparable?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Will people please please please stop treating Trump's budget proposal like it's something that's going to actually happen? Every other day there's some new article about how the budget proposal cuts funds to so and so likes its news when we've known for months that it cuts literally everything imaginable. It's bad but thankfully won't actually be done.

No-one thinks that's going through as is, it's just that even presenting such a huge pile of poo poo is reprehensible, even in the Nothing Matters of Trumpmurica, God Bless!

There's no way he can make me cut back my Anime Body Pillow Robot Deep Frier spending, no matter what his loving budget says.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
gently caress off Zuckerberg

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Wait, are you seriously trying to imply that the Nation of Islam and the Black Panthers were the same thing, or are in any way comparable?

Nope, just that if you opposed Keith Ellison for a bullshit reason like saying nice things about Farrakhan one time, you're probably not going to support Black Panthers running on the Democratic ticket.

PT6A posted:

I didn't say it was shocking, just giving a basic analogy for people who don't follow Canadian politics.

Fair enough, I misinterpreted your tone. My bad!

RandomBlue posted:

No-one thinks that's going through as is, it's just that even presenting such a huge pile of poo poo is reprehensible, even in the Nothing Matters of Trumpmurica, God Bless!

There's no way he can make me cut back my Anime Body Pillow Robot Deep Frier spending, no matter what his loving budget says.

Exactly. And the fact that Trump isn't going to actually get a chance to pass that budget as-is shouldn't matter one iota to the Dems in their messaging. They need to tie this poo poo around his, and Paul Ryan's, and Mitch McConnell's necks, and let it drag them down to the bottom of the ocean. Because we all know this budget is what Republican politicians want, in their shriveled heart of hearts.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

EngineerJoe posted:

You guys called it:

This is about that video where Trump was high on ecstasy and start rubbing his nipple and dancing while singing the lyrics to Pick a Bale of Cotton at some dumb boring speech today? Sometimes you just have to let the rhythm move you and let your Karoake slut flag fly.

• Locked thread