Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sashimi/sushi grade on US labeling means nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

al-azad posted:

Is there a traditionally spicy dish in Japan (besides curry)? I know Japanese food isn't known for its heat but I figure they must've picked up something from China or Korea over the centuries.

There really isn't honestly.
There is the aforementioned momiji oroshi, and some imported dishes, but even those are barely spicy.

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is the clay... supposed to look like the poo poo you take after a food truck festival? Your bowl looks like someone enjoyed a lot of meat on a stick and mexicorn.

I mean, no disrespect to the hand crafting and very authentic nature of it, but that clay and glaze looks hella rough.

edit: My mistake, I have done some googling, and holy hell. Yours is not the roughest of the bunch by far.

Texture on the bowl is actually kind of a good thing. It makes it easier to get good foam when making thin tea.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is the clay... supposed to look like the poo poo you take after a food truck festival? Your bowl looks like someone enjoyed a lot of meat on a stick and mexicorn.

I mean, no disrespect to the hand crafting and very authentic nature of it, but that clay and glaze looks hella rough.

edit: My mistake, I have done some googling, and holy hell. Yours is not the roughest of the bunch by far.

Yeah it's legit supposed to look like that. If you drop it and break it by accident and glue it back together its another plus.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've also been racking my brain for a traditional spicy Japanese food and can't come up with anything. They expelled the Portuguese and only allowed in Dutch traders and the Portuguese were the ones who spread peppers all over Asia. That's my wild hypothesis for why.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yup, it's supposed to be like that! That well beyond rustic look is pretty prized.

The Mori family is one of six pottery families given Hideyoshi's personal protection, and one of the three that remain active in the pottery scene.

Bizen pottery is actually unglazed. The red color is a characteristic of Imbe clay and is obtained by oxidation during firing. Some ash has also flecked into the bowl during firing, which contributes to some pale spots called goma, or sesame seeds. The darkened area is from charcoal added to the tunnel kiln near the end of the firing process.

The piece doesn't feel nearly as rough as it looks and is really pleasant to handle.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Double posting but Tokyo Banana is weirdly good and I totally didn't expect that.

Does anyone have a recipe for the sweetened chestnuts wrapped in mochi? I've not really candied much before.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Is tako wasabi considered spicy?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Momiji oroshi iirc. The name refers to red maple leaves. I've mainly had it in ponzu sauce with sashimi. You pierce a daikon and insert rehydrated chili peppers (poke em in with a chopstick). Then grate and drain before serving.

Okay, here's my newest piece of tea ware. This is a bizen style tea bowl made by Mori Tozan. I've included the box since it's also an important component. Sorry that it is currently untied!

There's a specific way to tie the box ribbon. The indigo cloth is for wrapping the bowl and makes it a bit easier to take out, since there isn't too much spare room inside.

Today I finished preparing the tea bowl for use, so it's just drying out a bit more before I whisk some thin tea in it for the first time.

Here's Mori Tozan's signature. Mori is the potter's family name and Tozan is his pottery name. He specializes in bizen ware.

e: I decided I should expand a little on the subject. Recently I've returned to studying tea, and during my honeymoon I got to attend an urasenke style ceremony. Not the full blown four hour formal type, but a shorter two hour demonstration including arranging charcoal and heating the iron kettle over it -- a rarity these days when most practitioners use an electric heat source or kettle.

Many practitioners will say that practicing the Japanese tea ceremony will let you understand everything about the culture, since the ceremony incorporates so many different arts as well as a particularly close relationship with Zen and with the nation's history. The school of tea I mentioned, urasenke, is the biggest of the three main schools that came from Sen no Rikyu's successors. Sen no Rikyu's is a pretty notable historical figure and well worth reading about. You could say he is at least partly responsible for the wabi sabi aesthetic -- which is what the above tea bowl is all about.

The "thin tea" I mentioned is made with matcha powder. It's also what I was served during the demo and is commonly served during these more truncated and casual tea ceremonies. The type of matcha used in these events is much higher quality than what is typically used for flavoring cakes and lattes; the food grade matcha would wind up unpalatably bitter for most people. Matcha is still one of those things where a higher price mostly goes hand in hand with higher quality. The better grades of ceremonial matcha are less bitter and more floral, and well worth exploring without going all in on the ceremonial side.

Thin tea generally has about two scoops of matcha from a small bamboo implement called the chashaku. It's still much thicker than steeped tea! Thick tea uses about three times as much matcha. Both are whisked with a bamboo whisk called a chasen. Getting a good foamy head is pretty important and the process also helps cool the scalding hot water a bit for the guest.

Anyway that's not much of an overview, but gently caress it I hope someone found it a bit informative!

This was a cool post.

al-azad posted:

I need to know of this condiment and "hot daikon" isn't doing much.

I think they mean karashi. I love karashi renkon (karashi stuffed in lotus root).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Yup, it's supposed to be like that! That well beyond rustic look is pretty prized.

The Mori family is one of six pottery families given Hideyoshi's personal protection, and one of the three that remain active in the pottery scene.

Bizen pottery is actually unglazed. The red color is a characteristic of Imbe clay and is obtained by oxidation during firing. Some ash has also flecked into the bowl during firing, which contributes to some pale spots called goma, or sesame seeds. The darkened area is from charcoal added to the tunnel kiln near the end of the firing process.

The piece doesn't feel nearly as rough as it looks and is really pleasant to handle.

How much does something like that cost?

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are you familiar with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi ?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

How much does something like that cost?

Bizen ware can kinda run the gamut of prices, and work from well known studios and names costs more. (Prices in Bizen the town are apparently higher on average than they are elsewhere, too.) It's not cheap.

You can easily drop hundreds of USD on this kind of tea ware and that's not even approaching like collecting Yi dynasty ceramics imported from Korea or all the insanely valuable antique celadon and Ming pieces.

That's not to say that someone interested in tea ware has to be rich or an art thief. You can get beautiful work for less. Heck, there are some cute starter sets on Amazon for like $30. That's how I started after studying a little urasenke in college. The bowls aren't named but who cares?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I was wondering specifically about the price of something that's specifically named like what you have. I know someone that is a ceramic artist and she had expressed an interest in getting something like that from Japan. But if it's hundreds then I doubt that's something I can pick up for her. Thanks!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

I was wondering specifically about the price of something that's specifically named like what you have. I know someone that is a ceramic artist and she had expressed an interest in getting something like that from Japan. But if it's hundreds then I doubt that's something I can pick up for her. Thanks!

Definitely look online. There's stuff up at auction for less. It's almost all unnamed, but still. (You can always name it yourself. That's legit.) You have to be cautious, though, since many postings are either inaccurately labeled or outright deceptive.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I brought a bunch of fancy misos back from Japan and don't want to waste them. My impression is miso lasts basically forever if it's not opened and similarly forever if it's open but in the fridge, as long as it's not moldy it's fine. Am I correct in this?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

I brought a bunch of fancy misos back from Japan and don't want to waste them. My impression is miso lasts basically forever if it's not opened and similarly forever if it's open but in the fridge, as long as it's not moldy it's fine. Am I correct in this?

yeah, put them in the fridge and you're fine. I have miso in my fridge that is 2 years old. you'll know when it's bad, it just gets dried out, turns darker, and is pretty clearly oxidized. discard the top layer and you're fine.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Miso-butter brussels sprouts biiiiiiiiiiiiiitch

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm giving up on ever getting a clear soup. Made a stock for shoyu base, chicken carcass + feet. Kept it at 180 covered just fine for several hours and it was clear and fragrant. Went to sleep and woke up a few hours later to find it at a rapid boil and brown as dirt!

It's the best tasting stock I've ever made, and it's pointless whining when I'll be using a dark-as-midnight tare, but I've accepted my recipes will always be visually unappealing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Closest thing I can think of for Japanese spicy food is actually Chinese-based: Mapo Dofu

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

al-azad posted:

I'm giving up on ever getting a clear soup. Made a stock for shoyu base, chicken carcass + feet. Kept it at 180 covered just fine for several hours and it was clear and fragrant. Went to sleep and woke up a few hours later to find it at a rapid boil and brown as dirt!

It's the best tasting stock I've ever made, and it's pointless whining when I'll be using a dark-as-midnight tare, but I've accepted my recipes will always be visually unappealing.

Wow, you got all that out of one carcass and some feet?

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
It's not really a dish, but there are some (delicious) spicy condiments like yuzukosho, kanzuri and miso-pepper mixes like kagura namban miso.

I just got the book Zen Vegetarian Cooking. 35 years late to the party, but it has some incredible simple and elegant recipes and info. The recipes and suggestions are all month / season based.

Edit: like this seasonal green pea rice for May --
1. Dissolve 1tsp salt in 3/4 cup boiling water, simmer green peas over medium heat then remove.
2. Bring pot liquor up to 1 and 2/3cups + 3tbsps (440ml), add 1/2tsp salt and use the liquid to cook 1 2/3 cups rice.
3. Toss finished rice with green peas and eat hot, or eat as warm rice balls

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 8, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

always be closing posted:

Wow, you got all that out of one carcass and some feet?

Well, two-ish pounds of feet which is a lot of footless chickens.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would anyone advise the purchase of a yakiami, or would I be fine just using a grill pan?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
How expensive could one of those be? I'd just buy one and use it whenever. Doesn't seem like a big loss if you only use it a few times, even.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
About a year and a half ago ago, I posted ITT that I was moving to the Bay Area where I would be closer to Asian/Japanese stores compared to where I used to live. I never did much in terms of cooking/eating Japanese food outside of snack stuff that I can eat out of the bag and/or stuff cooked in restaurants, but the other day I got inspired when (for whatever reason) I started watching/rewatching Japanese food tutorials/recipes on YouTube and felt like making okonomiyaki, which I've never had before and was suggested by another goon way back then who said it's one of the fastest/easiest things to make. Today, I went by this really good Japanese store that I live near and found (I'm waiting to get my next paycheck in a couple days before buying since I'm pretty low on funds right now :( ) that they had everything to make it (including the flour for okonomiyaki, which I assumed would be hard to find) that I can't find at regular grocery stores.

With this knowledge, I'm wondering if I can make a really basic okonomiyaki with the batter, cabbage mixed in, the sauce, and Japanese mayo to top it? A lot of the recipes I see call for stuff like pork belly/bacon and benito flakes (some people say one or both of these are required, while others make me think they're optional), but I'd like to try to keep it as simple as possible for my first okonomiyaki to see if I like it and go from there.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Obeast posted:

About a year and a half ago ago, I posted ITT that I was moving to the Bay Area where I would be closer to Asian/Japanese stores compared to where I used to live. I never did much in terms of cooking/eating Japanese food outside of snack stuff that I can eat out of the bag and/or stuff cooked in restaurants, but the other day I got inspired when (for whatever reason) I started watching/rewatching Japanese food tutorials/recipes on YouTube and felt like making okonomiyaki, which I've never had before and was suggested by another goon way back then who said it's one of the fastest/easiest things to make. Today, I went by this really good Japanese store that I live near and found (I'm waiting to get my next paycheck in a couple days before buying since I'm pretty low on funds right now :( ) that they had everything to make it (including the flour for okonomiyaki, which I assumed would be hard to find) that I can't find at regular grocery stores.

With this knowledge, I'm wondering if I can make a really basic okonomiyaki with the batter, cabbage mixed in, the sauce, and Japanese mayo to top it? A lot of the recipes I see call for stuff like pork belly/bacon and benito flakes (some people say one or both of these are required, while others make me think they're optional), but I'd like to try to keep it as simple as possible for my first okonomiyaki to see if I like it and go from there.

They're optional, but once you make a good okonomiyaki with bacon and bonito flakes, you will realize that they are, indeed, required

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Great thing about okonomiyaki is that it's whatever you want it to be. The name roughly means "cooked the way you like" and all the different varieties go nuts. Hiroshima style particularly doesn't mix the ingredients into the batter and is instead like a layered open face sandwich with a crepe on the bottom.

The batter is the requirement, that's what separates it from simple stir fry. You want something salty and something savory but everything else is icing.

I'm kind of surprised it's not more popular in the States. "Hibachi grill" restaurants are popular nearly everywhere but I can't recall seeing okonomiyaki on any menu despite these places having the perfect setup.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

ALFbrot posted:

They're optional, but once you make a good okonomiyaki with bacon and bonito flakes, you will realize that they are, indeed, required

al-azad posted:

Great thing about okonomiyaki is that it's whatever you want it to be. The name roughly means "cooked the way you like" and all the different varieties go nuts. Hiroshima style particularly doesn't mix the ingredients into the batter and is instead like a layered open face sandwich with a crepe on the bottom.

The batter is the requirement, that's what separates it from simple stir fry. You want something salty and something savory but everything else is icing.

I'm kind of surprised it's not more popular in the States. "Hibachi grill" restaurants are popular nearly everywhere but I can't recall seeing okonomiyaki on any menu despite these places having the perfect setup.
Awesome, thanks guys! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong in trying my first okonomiyaki in what I assume it's most purest/basic form without spending money on extra toppings and fillings right away that I might not end up using if I don't like them (although since a lot of recipes use the same toppings and fillings, I imagine those are the best ones to use down the road).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
well, you probably want your batter to be made with dashi, so the bontio flakes kinda aren't optional. also you need to add them afterwards, along with the mayo and okonomiyaki sauce.

aside from that, I think anything you griddled on a flat top that involved cabbage, squid shrimp or some sort of shellfish, batter made from dashi and probably egg, and some toppings would qualify as true okonomiyaki. I'd argue bontio, chives/green onion, mayo, and brown sauce has to be on top, but you could fight me on that I guess. bacon sounds like a wonderful plus, and go hogwild after that.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Counterpoint: bonito flakes are loving disgusting and make me want to die. I know everyone will want to fight me on this, and I accept that I an inherently broken and wrong and also a hypocrite because I am not grossed out by fish-based dashi.

You can put whatever you want in okinomiyaki. Cabbage, batter, mayonnaise, bulldog sauce- except for the katsuobushi, everything else is more or less optional

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The batter mix usually already has dashi and nagaimo in it, so you only need katsuo bushi if you are going to sprinkle it on top.

I hate mayo and katsuobushi so I usually just use sauce and any tenkasu I have left.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Since okonomiyaki is very much about how you like it, there's no requirement to put anything you're not into in or on it. I would argue that the "simple default" I am used to has batter, cabbage, pork belly slices on top, then sauce, mayo, bonito flakes and aonori (finely ground green seaweed) as the default but once again this is gonna vary based on where you're used to eating it, etc. People put everything from cheese to mochi, beef tendon, oyster, shrimp, squid, octopus, kimchi, udon, Chinese noodles, egg, among other things in or on their okonomiyaki, so there's no real right or wrong there.

I will say that personally I think bacon is gross on okonomiyaki because the smoky, cured flavor is over powering, but to each their own.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
thick cut pancetta is a decent alternative if sliced pork belly is hard to come by. Bacon just isn't always an appropriate alternative to pork belly. But I also don't really like bacon being shoved into every single food for the same reason.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Rice is cheap and I have wierd dietary restrictions, so I'm planning on making really simple rice dishes with the few things I can eat. However, I'm curious about how to safely prepare it and keep it and whatnot. I know that letting rice cool to room temperature can be bad (fried rice syndrome,) but also japanese bentos seem to be nothing but room temperature rices?
Is this something I should wake up early to make every morning for breakfast and lunch, or can I do it the night before? Should I make it and let it cool, keep it on warm, refrigerate it? I imagine that, given the popularity of bentos, there's a good safe way to do all this.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 30, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I forgot about recently having posted in this thread, but in the meantime made some okonomiyaki. it was delicious

thin sliced a very small head of cabbage, some vidalia onions. cut in half 3 slices of benton's bacon, prepped kewpie-ish mayo, and okonomiyaki sauce. anori, green onions, and bontio flakes on hand.

made a batter (about 2cups total) of 50% flour, 25% dashi, 25% lager, 2 eggs, a few dashes of baking powder, good amount of salt and sugar. msg of course.

tossed the cabbage and onions in the batter

heated my flattop griddle pan for about 10 minutes, then doused with oil, and a splash of sesame oil. doled out my okonomiyaki into two portions, then laid bacon on top of one. griddled for 3 minutes, then flipped and let cook 5 minutes. flip, 5 minutes, then back for 3 minutes.

bacon perfectly cooked, fluffy batter, topped with the mayo, okonomiyaki, anori, green onions, and bonito

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

make this poo poo.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 30, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

everythingWasBees posted:

Rice is cheap and I have wierd dietary restrictions, so I'm planning on making really simple rice dishes with the few things I can eat. However, I'm curious about how to safely prepare it and keep it and whatnot. I know that letting rice cool to room temperature can be bad (fried rice syndrome,) but also japanese bentos seem to be nothing but room temperature rices?
Is this something I should wake up early to make every morning for breakfast and lunch, or can I do it the night before? Should I make it and let it cool, keep it on warm, refrigerate it? I imagine that, given the popularity of bentos, there's a good safe way to do all this.

I'm sure there's also a specific entry for rice, but this JustBento article has a lot of info on food safety in bento.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm sure there's also a specific entry for rice, but this JustBento article has a lot of info on food safety in bento.

That link seems rather aggressive about food safety, unless youre living in a squat or have no prior history of using and eating foodstuff.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

That Old Ganon posted:

Would anyone advise the purchase of a yakiami, or would I be fine just using a grill pan?

totalnewbie posted:

How expensive could one of those be? I'd just buy one and use it whenever. Doesn't seem like a big loss if you only use it a few times, even.

Its a plain mesh grill basket you can buy at BBQ or camping stores.

Otherwise its just a mesh grill sitting on a square cast iron frying pan.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

That link seems rather aggressive about food safety, unless youre living in a squat or have no prior history of using and eating foodstuff.

On the one hand I agree, but on the other username/post.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How can I reduce the salty flavor of soy sauce? Tonight I made ginger pork chops. I marinated them all day in a mix of soy sauce, mirin, sake, red pepper flakes and grated ginger. Then I fried them up in my cast iron skillet and flash cooked some mushrooms in the juice.

It was good, but it was a bit on the salty side. What can I add to the recipe to reduce the saltiness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How can I reduce the salty flavor of soy sauce? Tonight I made ginger pork chops. I marinated them all day in a mix of soy sauce, mirin, sake, red pepper flakes and grated ginger. Then I fried them up in my cast iron skillet and flash cooked some mushrooms in the juice.

It was good, but it was a bit on the salty side. What can I add to the recipe to reduce the saltiness?

Use less soy sauce. Also, some styles and brands of soy sauce use less salt than others. Low sodium and dark soy sauce may be placed to start. Last, if you're using a real old bottle, it might have experienced some evaporation over time. The seals aren't always very good. That would concentrate the saltiness.