Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

muscles like this! posted:

A lot of older comedies just have stuff that would not fly today. See the "lovelorn guy who won't take no" character, which was a staple of comedies for years. Nowadays the guy looks like a borderline rapist.

This is literally what the main guy in 50 Shades Darker does (and it works) so it is still flying today in that studios are still making films where it happens.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There appears to be a whole crossdressing genre in Thai films but I don't have the slightest idea how offensive or tone deaf they might be.

As you can probably imagine, they both appeal to an audience of gay/crossdressing people and those who enjoy comedies about them, but also are stigmatized for often being dumb or crass. Thailand is like everywhere else in that it has bad movies that end up making money despite the critics saying they are terrible. These films have existed for at least the past 20 years, many of the stars are actual crossdressers (but some aren't), and a few are big box office hits (Iron Ladies might be the biggest one iirc). And occasionally the Thai censorship office goes extra dumb and tries to discourage them for a few years, then they start coming back. It's not really good to judge it by Western standards for LGBT depictions as Thailand has their own cultural definitions of things that are different than American/Western ones (like katoey). They make enough money that they keep making them, and the stars don't seem to think doing them will alienate their audiences, which considering some of them make their living by doing performances would be their death knell. Most of the people I know who followed Thai film closely have since moved on/left the country, I don't think I know of anyone right now who is covering new Thai cinema at all (and most of them didn't bother with those movies regardless), so I don't know what the current status is. Filipino films has a similar subgenre with crossdressing focused films (or at least it did, I haven't paid much attention the past few years), I'm not sure how things with the Philippines' new idiot in charge is changing things, as the only things that are getting exported to theaters here are romantic comedies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I dot understand your question. It's not especially family friendly despite being excellent, or at least it's not moreso than Mrs. Doubtfire which is problematic but not nearly as racy. It's a great movie though I just rewatched it last month

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

I did some googling and the Addams Family licence is currently held by MGM who were planning a stop motion animated film as of last year
http://deadline.com/2016/08/mgm-jonathan-glickman-reup-motion-picture-group-president-1201798482/

Because every IP with even the slightest amount of public recognition remaining is always at some level of pre-production somewhere unless the original creators are still alive and are refusing to sign over the rights.

I was just wondering if anyone was thinking about doing anything further with that. Though the "stop motion" thing has me concerned that they'll try to mindlessly rip off Tim Burton.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

Says someone who clearly never saw The Rock in his heyday. Dwayne Johnson is a gift to us from on high and has better comedic chops than most comedians!

The Rock is amazing. I said his gimmick isn't all that strange or high concept. He didn't rise to stardom and move into Hollywood by wrestling as some intergalactic caveman or obvious comic book character rip-off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Neo Rasa posted:

If we just use this one then yes, always. :haw:

It's my third example, android you're still wrong.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Re: TV adaptation chat

Mission Impossible, Addams Family and Charlie's Angels did really well though (but not the sequels of those last two)

But other notable TV adaptation flops include Power Rangers, The A-Team, Lost in Space, Wild Wild West, The Brady Bunch, McHale's Navy (starring Tom Arnold), The Three Stooges, The Honeymooners (starring Cedric the Entertainer), Flipper (starring Paul Hogan), Bewitched, Dragnet and Serenity

I had a few hours to spare so I went back and watched The A-Team again because I vaguely remember that it was competent enough but somehow unsatisfying. A big part of the problem is that the action scenes are all pretty predictable but we also know that the team is always planning 3 steps ahead and loves to do "Whoops you caught me" fakeouts so even when poo poo seems to go south you just assume it's all part of their plan anyway, so there's no tension. I think they might have tried to walk that back when Hannibal is surprised that the general is still alive and the team starts to question his loyalty but c'mooonnnnn.
But of course the end of the film is going to end exactly how you expect, that's pretty much a staple of the genre. A big part of the enjoyment comes from the team's camaraderie, seeing their complicated plan unfold and watching the villain getting his just deserts and in this one the villain is all "Eh, I'll be back on my feet in no time" and the team's chemistry just didn't click for me and they overexplained all their action scenes.

Tars Tarkas posted:

It's not really good to judge it by Western standards for LGBT depictions as Thailand has their own cultural definitions of things that are different than American/Western ones (like katoey).

I figured as much, I really don't know enough about katoey culture or even much about Thai films apart from Magic Lizard and Werewolf in Bangkok which really deserves a "Movie of the month" thread

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually had somehow gotten the impression that A-Team did well enough, and I think I remember something about a sequel, but as I'm typing this I realize that what happened is I got it confused with GI Joe :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

gently caress no. There were two Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures shows (one animated, one live action)

There was a live action Bill and Ted show? Why don't I remember this?
I do remember two animated shows though, either that or the one show had a complete design overhaul at some point.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Re: TV adaptation chat

I had a few hours to spare so I went back and watched The A-Team again because I vaguely remember that it was competent enough but somehow unsatisfying. A big part of the problem is that the action scenes are all pretty predictable but we also know that the team is always planning 3 steps ahead and loves to do "Whoops you caught me" fakeouts so even when poo poo seems to go south you just assume it's all part of their plan anyway, so there's no tension. I think they might have tried to walk that back when Hannibal is surprised that the general is still alive and the team starts to question his loyalty but c'mooonnnnn.
But of course the end of the film is going to end exactly how you expect, that's pretty much a staple of the genre. A big part of the enjoyment comes from the team's camaraderie, seeing their complicated plan unfold and watching the villain getting his just deserts and in this one the villain is all "Eh, I'll be back on my feet in no time" and the team's chemistry just didn't click for me and they overexplained all their action scenes.

I figured as much, I really don't know enough about katoey culture or even much about Thai films apart from Magic Lizard and Werewolf in Bangkok which really deserves a "Movie of the month" thread

I just rewatched MI: ghost protocol, and they ratchet up the tension so well in that. Potential problems keep arising and stacking and you're never sure which way the dominoes are going to fall.
I do have one question though: why did the bad guy have a mask on in Dubai?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

raditts posted:

I do remember two animated shows though, either that or the one show had a complete design overhaul at some point.

The animated show got overhauled and changed all the voice actors from the movie people to new people, who also just happened to be the same actors who played the characters in the live action series that was less than 10 episodes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Skwirl posted:

It's my third example, android you're still wrong.

Actually, I'm right [transforms into a skateboard with backwards baseball cap on it and flies into space].

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

gently caress no. There were two Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures shows (one animated, one live action), three different Highlander series, an animated Napoleon Dynamite series, a Rambo cartoon for kids, three Robocop series, two Uncle Buck series and so many more.

A lot of those shows owned super hard though

Highlander: The Series, for example, is fun as gently caress once you get into its general vibe, and the Robocop live-action show was... extremely loving weird but also really rad

e: the live-action one for kids, not Prime Directives, Prime Directives is utter rear end

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Which one had the hologram ghost?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Which one had the hologram ghost?

I'm... not sure offhand but I think the live-action kids show one?

it definitely had an episode where Robocop fights Roddy Piper

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Highlander series was kinda like the Stargate series; better than the movie in unexpected ways

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm... not sure offhand but I think the live-action kids show one?

it definitely had an episode where Robocop fights Roddy Piper

Was it in an alleyway, and did it last for 5+ minutes?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

But did worse at the box office. Significantly.

I still wish the Munsters TV reboot had taken off, I really really enjoyed Eddie Izzard and hell everyone in it. And, in looking it up just now, I notice that Bryan Fuller was behind it because of course he was. It's called Mockingbird Lane and it's worth a watch (there's only one episode)

Eddie Izzard as Grandpa is loving amazing in it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Don't think there's a thread for it so... if anyone saw the new pirates of caribean yet , is it any good / as good as the first one?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

of course not

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Eddie Izzard as Grandpa is loving amazing in it.

It was a casualty of that "what the gently caress are they doing with their programming schedule" era of NBC.
Some might say that era never truly ended...

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Avalerion posted:

Don't think there's a thread for it so... if anyone saw the new pirates of caribean yet , is it any good / as good as the first one?

Yes / No

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

got any sevens posted:

I do have one question though: why did the bad guy have a mask on in Dubai?

He wanted to be there personally to receive the nuke codes (ego? anticipation?) but didn't want to be too high profile.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There was a weird science show that my brother and I used to watch. I didn't even know of the movie until a few years ago.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

IUG posted:

There was a weird science show that my brother and I used to watch. I didn't even know of the movie until a few years ago.

I remember that being pretty good. Main episode I they is one of them controls the other to be good at basketball through a game gear game, but the cartridge gets destroyed so they have to win the big game by controlling him through a football game and he keeps kicking half court three pointers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I missed Lucha Underground chat but yeah, if you have Netflix you should absolutely watch it. The phrase I've used is "it's everything you loved about 80s wrestling" and rules. TBH it's a bit shaky at the beginning, if you absolutely want to cut to the good stuff start with Season 1 Episode 7 which has two kinda average matches but then an amazing main event Ladder Match that will tell you right away if Lucha Underground is for you.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I missed Lucha Underground chat but yeah, if you have Netflix you should absolutely watch it. The phrase I've used is "it's everything you loved about 80s wrestling" and rules. TBH it's a bit shaky at the beginning, if you absolutely want to cut to the good stuff start with Season 1 Episode 7 which has two kinda average matches but then an amazing main event Ladder Match that will tell you right away if Lucha Underground is for you.

Did somebody say Ladder Match?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlc6OT1OHfM

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

raditts posted:

It was a casualty of that "what the gently caress are they doing with their programming schedule" era of NBC.
Some might say that era never truly ended...

I am very glad that Munsters reboot failed because from its ashes we got Hannibal which is way better in every way

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's pretty drat wild that Hannibal was made, let alone that it aired on a 'normal' network NBC. Homo-erotic murder cannibal police procedural that's full-to-the-brim with gore and innuendo wasn't what I associated with NBC. That being said, the show is stellar and I hope they make more. It's really entertaining to watch the show go through the paces of being a procedural for the first dozen episodes before dropping all pretence and getting super buck wild as soon as they really could.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

It's pretty drat wild that Hannibal was made, let alone that it aired on a 'normal' network NBC. Homo-erotic murder cannibal police procedural that's full-to-the-brim with gore and innuendo wasn't what I associated with NBC. That being said, the show is stellar and I hope they make more. It's really entertaining to watch the show go through the paces of being a procedural for the first dozen episodes before dropping all pretence and getting super buck wild as soon as they really could.

I know right? That's was OTA and basically made Seven look tame.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

raditts posted:

Someone uploaded a few of the episodes to youtube. Enjoy!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL8YCSAh3KY

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

well why not posted:

I just saw a tweet from Mads Mikkelsen linking to an article about Bryan Fuller trying to get everyone on board for a fourth Hannibal season, and while I guess the chances are rocky I'm definitely at half mast.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

davidspackage posted:

I just saw a tweet from Mads Mikkelsen linking to an article about Bryan Fuller trying to get everyone on board for a fourth Hannibal season, and while I guess the chances are rocky I'm definitely at half mast.

I think the series finale was probably the perfect way to end the show, but I'm always up for more. But there are still some hurdles:

- Fuller's made it explicitly clear that he wants to adapt Silence of the Lambs, but MGM owns those rights, and while there have been rumors that those rights are due to revert later this year, I've never seen anything official on the matter

- Fuller's going to have his hands full with the second season of American Gods, and he got fired from Star Trek Discovery last year for the same reason Amazon wouldn't pick up a fourth season of Hannibal when it was initially canceled: He's a notorious prima donna when it comes to getting scripts done, and he's always insistent that he won't roll cameras until an entire season is written out (Amazon's condition for Hannibal was that production start almost immediately)

- Even if he does get those rights issues sorted out and he learns something about time management, there's still the issue that by its third season, Hannibal was an obscenely expensive show that about three dozen people were watching, and that's going to be a tough sell

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Timby posted:

- Fuller's going to have his hands full with the second season of American Gods, and he got fired from Star Trek Discovery last year for the same reason Amazon wouldn't pick up a fourth season of Hannibal when it was initially canceled: He's a notorious prima donna when it comes to getting scripts done, and he's always insistent that he won't roll cameras until an entire season is written out (Amazon's condition for Hannibal was that production start almost immediately)

Honestly more writing rooms need to be like this. So many seasons of shows are riddled with scripts that feel made up on the spot.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

- Even if he does get those rights issues sorted out and he learns something about time management, there's still the issue that by its third season, Hannibal was an obscenely expensive show that about three dozen people were watching, and that's going to be a tough sell

Hannibal's fanbase is about where Firefly's was at this point in that show's life: small, but extremely loud. Give it another 10 years and Hannibal will be loving inescapable and you'll be seeing "THIS IS MY DESIGN" T-shirts on sweaty nerds everywhere.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

With three seasons, I feel like I've got what Hannibal was about. I'm happy he's moved onto something else, particular something as perfect for him as American Gods.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MacheteZombie posted:

Honestly more writing rooms need to be like this. So many seasons of shows are riddled with scripts that feel made up on the spot.

The problem is that this isn't always realistic, because it gets very expensive very quickly. With Star Trek Discovery, for example, they were supposed to start shooting last July / August at the absolute latest to make a January debut. August rolls around, Fuller's got a really, really broad story outline but he's still working on the pilot script and nothing else has been written (and he's also busy writing American Gods with Gaiman). So production gets delayed to November to give Fuller time to pull his head out of his rear end and make a May 2017 launch date. At the same time, though, they're still paying people like the production designers / builders, the crews, the costume people, even actors (although they hadn't even started casting at that point because they had no scripts) to be available for work so you don't lose them. That adds up.

So then November rolls around and they're still nowhere near being ready to shoot -- no casting has been done, Fuller's still farting around with the pilot script and writing the stories for the remaining episodes of the season. So CBS finally has had enough, tells Fuller he's out, immediately installs new producers and says, "Look, we've spent enough money on this, we start filming in January." Of course, by January they only had a few casting decisions made, and sets were being built and torn down because scripts were constantly changing. It's a beautiful trainwreck. :allears:

I mean, I get that having everything planned out in advance is the platonic ideal or whatever, but almost inevitably you run into one of two things: A producer who's a control freak and can't get things done on time, like Fuller, or a producer who completely burns himself out and basically has a nervous breakdown (J. Michael Straczynski after Babylon 5 ended).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Timby posted:

At the same time, though, they're still paying people like the production designers / builders, the crews, the costume people, even actors (although they hadn't even started casting at that point because they had no scripts) to be available for work so you don't lose them.

Seems kinda dumb to hire these people way before they're needed. What's the hurry?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Seems kinda dumb to hire these people way before they're needed. What's the hurry?

When you have a set date for start of production, you get your crews in place and say, "Hey, cameras roll on X date, set construction begins on Y, show up for prep meetings on Z."

Then that date comes around and you're not ready, you're in a position of either paying people to be on retainer / "hurry up and wait," or praying that they'll still be available three months from now and not busy with another project. I mean, costume design alone takes forever and a day with the amount of screen testing that has to be done.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Plus, there's things like on-the-set creativity that showrunners don't anticipate in the writer's room.

There's something to be said for allowing other voices and creative visions into the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Timby posted:

When you have a set date for start of production

This is what I'm questioning. Discovery looks awful and the production stories are worse. And this isn't like trying to fit Ant-Man 2 into a five-year plan of 2-3 movies a year, with interwoven sequels and such. Star Trek hasn't been on TV in over a decade. What's the rush to get it out right now?

• Locked thread