Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mad Hamish posted:

Therapy goon hosed a chick dressed like a goddamned Bosmer and that's objectively wrong and gross.

All elves are loathsome and the Bosmer are the most loathsome of all. Disgusting black-eyed cannibals! Someone should burn Valenwood to the ground.

SKYRIM IS FOR THE NORDS! Also Wood Elves are taking our jobs and gunz. You ever notice how there aren't guns in TES? ASK QUESTIONS!!!

Also I kinda secretly adore KomodoWagon. Being Russian he reminds me of my father. A wolf could have bitten off my arm and my five year old self would walk up with tears in my eyes and he'd look at me with disgust and tell me "get me a bottle of vodka you goddamn jobless pussy!" Don't ever change KomodoWagon. You should move to Russia as you would fit in better here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Von_Doom posted:

SKYRIM IS FOR THE NORDS! Also Wood Elves are taking our jobs and gunz. You ever notice how there aren't guns in TES? ASK QUESTIONS!!!

I haven't played Skyrim, my hatred for the Bosmer stems from playing Morrowind. But my loathing for all elvenkind long predated it.

Non-anonymous confession, I am hugely prejudiced against all elves in any franchise or fandom.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Mad Hamish posted:

I haven't played Skyrim, my hatred for the Bosmer stems from playing Morrowind. But my loathing for all elvenkind long predated it.

Non-anonymous confession, I am hugely prejudiced against all elves in any franchise or fandom.

How do you feel about Asari?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I thought his role in Parks and Rec was ok.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

They're fine.

Batarians, however, are vermin and should be exterminated.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Therapy goons gf should have dressed up as Asari IMHO

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
this thread was fun but then it

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Mentally ill wife goon: I would assume a lot of your problems stem from the huge load your wife puts on you. Follow the advice to walk away from it next time she freaks out. And if you two can't find a working solution for her to handle her poo poo, you can either walk away permanently or knowingly ruin your own life and mental state further. There really is not any other option. Being a caretaker is hugely taxing and you don't seem to be fit for it in the first place, seeing how you have your own issues to cope with.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Sjs00 posted:

this thread was fun but then it

all I learned from this thread is that people that like Celsius are excessively autistic in how frequently and passionately they must announce it, compounded by a Peter Popov-esque compulsion to convert stupid people into buying a different brand of snake oil. these habits are not unlike people who are vegan or own MacBooks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Turdsdown Tom posted:

all I learned from this thread is that people that like Celsius are excessively autistic in how frequently and passionately they must announce it, compounded by a Peter Popov-esque compulsion to convert stupid people into buying a different brand of snake oil. these habits are not unlike people who are vegan or own MacBooks

How is the concept of temperature snakeoil? :allears:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Improbable Lobster posted:

How is the concept of temperature snakeoil? :allears:

the same way language is totally irrelevant made up poo poo poopy: everything means the same thing no matter how you say it. whether you subscribe to one or the other, it doesn't loving matter in the end anyway

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I'm just gonna start referring to everything in glorpniks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Turdsdown Tom posted:

the same way language is totally irrelevant made up poo poo poopy: everything means the same thing no matter how you say it. whether you subscribe to one or the other, it doesn't loving matter in the end anyway

The whole value of language is that it's relatively consistent and allows comunications with others. If you declare it all arbitrary and meaningless then Tro iz alie onklo helposigno. So oho renkonten malpermesi, kie am vira finitivo. Log gh finno miloj multiplikite. Stif decimalo us ore.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Turdsdown Tom posted:

sure it does

For example, French is beautiful and Finnish is grotesquely ugly and stupid

Everything matters BUDDY

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Therapist boning goon: She's shifted the blame of her behavior onto you mate. You are being a dick for no reason you say? Not one paragraph before you told us she was getting abusive because you used DIFFERENT PLATES at the dinner table for just the two of you.

Also Therapist Girlfriend needs :therapy:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Weird how every country that uses Celsius has been attacked by Nazis.

Just something to think about

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

yikes, this is a tough one

Ok well, honestly, you've got enough of your own poo poo to deal with that you can't deal with your wife's poo poo for her. I think you're at the tough-love point by now. Tell her the reasons you love her and want the relationship to work (remind yourself that these exist), then tell her that you're struggling enough with your own mental issues that you need her to deal with her poo poo without your help. If she isn't going to take her illness seriously (and she really has to accept that she has one by now, I think?) the marriage cannot work. It's true, and you know it's true, and she has to know it's true too. If she doesn't get help in some form, next time she breaks down, just leave and come back when she's done. Ultimatums are BS but in cases like this I think it's really the only way to get through to her how dire her situation is. As it is right now by doing nothing you're basically enabling her.

If she DOES take steps to address her issues, though, definitely try to be there for her and help her through the process and ask that she do the same for you as you deal with your issues. A relationship can work if it's a shared struggle through illness, but not if you're acting as an orderly in her private mental hospital.

welp guess im gay

Needing pills or booze to get through life is a path to disaster. You gotta change that asap

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

Fahrenheit is like a zoomed in part of the scale for human comfort. Water boiling has no relevance to our everyday lives for the vast majority of people. And it is a lot cleaner to say 65 than 18.3333. And if you are doing real cutting edge science you are probably using the secret Illuminati measurements which confer minor eldritch power over reality.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vynar posted:

Fahrenheit is like a zoomed in part of the scale for human comfort. Water boiling has no relevance to our everyday lives for the vast majority of people. And it is a lot cleaner to say 65 than 18.3333. And if you are doing real cutting edge science you are probably using the secret Illuminati measurements which confer minor eldritch power over reality.

how the gently caress is fahrenheit the zoomed in part wtf is wrong with your god drat brain AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Vynar posted:

water freezing does though

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Indoctrination has destroyed american brains

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ok I'm bored with this now

everybody wants everyone else to use the poo poo they used when they were a kid because reasons, argument over

quote:

I just want to let you know I agree with the guy who gets angry that people use mm-dd-yyyy date formatting. People who hate on yyyy-mm-dd ISO standard can go gently caress themselves along with all those so-called activists waging a war on the metric system. There are more of us out there than you think and someday raising your children "non metric" or to write dates incorrectly will be seen as child abuse. I have fired workers for not being able to handle metric in an industry where everything is defined in proper metric units, how the gently caress are these people even graduating college with STEM degrees but still insisting on using "fairun-hates" and "feats" like a bunch of goddamn inbred yokels.

see, this, this is what you sound like. Shame. :mad:

"skair quoats" around "itnetninoal misppelings" to show "desdein" in a "varrie matoor fashun"

quote:

So I was talking last night with a woman and I was feeling randy (been smoking some weed in a joint.) Usually I am not so randy but I thought that we should do oral sex. I said, hey I think we should suck dick. But I meant for her to do it on me (I am a male) and I don’t know if this was a big mistake? I am not trying to be gross here on the forums but I want to know the right answer, should I just wait until I talk to her next, or does she think I want to suck dick. I hope not. It was just a speech error. These things happen.

I mean, how did she respond? missing a lot of context here freudslip goon

Here's one more since the first one was just an anon trying to argue the argument I'm trying to stop

quote:

I'm unsure if I'm hosed regarding my student loans.

So I'll admit, I've been somewhat delinquent with regards to student loan payments. Times are tough, you get me. The main reason actually has been that I've been out of the country for years, and international banking wreaks havoc with forms that assume you live in the US. So today I went to email my loan service provider and get that poo poo sorted, and I decided to check my account.

Lo and behold, a balance of zero, a payment of the balance from about a week ago with no additional details, and no notification of any sort. On the one hand, it's possible they've sold me off to another service, or that they've forwarded me to collections. Either way, I'd expect some form of notification (and they have my contact information, I've been getting pester mail for ages).

The other possibility is maybe I've been written off? My loan was very small, and if that's the case, maybe I shouldn't rock the boat.

How hosed am I?

Ask them about it. Don't indicate that you think anything amiss, just ask for the account's payment history and for details on whatever the last thing that happened was. Worst case, they realize they hosed up and you're back at square one; worst case if you don't look into it is that the info you saw was incorrect and you're about to continue not paying off your loans.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 30, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Vynar posted:

Celsius:
- 0 degrees is when water freezes and when it snows, something most people have seen before and which is relevant to our daily life, especially when you see how some Americans drive when there is a bit of snow on the streets. :eng101:
- 100 degrees is when water boils which, unlike you apparently is very relevant to cooking, a thing most people do every day. :eng101:

Fahrenheit:
- 0 degrees is the lowest temperature that can be reached with "a solution of brine made from equal parts of ice and salt" which most people have seen/done... well, never ever, I mean why would you even? :eng99:
- Fahrenheit's upper fix point was 96 degrees, the body temperature of a healthy adult. Quite clever right? Sadly, he was off by a good margin (96 translates to 35.5 celsius, the body temperature of a healthy adult is between ~36.5 and 37.5 celsius (97.7–99.5 °F) :eng99:

As for "18.3333": Celsius is measured in 0.1 increments in daily life, so at worst you get "18.3"

The problem is not which temperature scale is more useful and which less. Measurement units really come down to preference depending on what you grew up with, which is fine as long as you don't apply them in a globalized/intercultural setting, this is where it gets bad. Since we live in a globalized world, it may be beneficial to use one and the same measurement units, just to not gently caress things up. And as such, the most widely used measurements would be objectively the more practical ones, as this means fewer cases where someone has to use an unfamiliar measurement unit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
A Mars lander fell out of the sky because Lockheed decided to use Imperial units while the rest of the mission used Metric.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hopper posted:

- 100 degrees is when water boils which, unlike you apparently is very relevant to cooking, a thing most people do every day. :eng101:

lol

Exactly how hot water is when it boils is not central to your life, dude, and even in cooking, even in the one specific use case you're inflating to cosmic importance, water is boiled on stoves and stoves don't even use precise temperatures in their settings. Water boils at HIGH.

I was being too charitable in my last post, really. The thing I said to start all of this off was "I'm going to keep using Fahrenheit in my everyday life" and that was enough to make the people who take celsius way too seriously so mad that steam (boiled water, very relevant) came out of their ears and started angrily pressing the keys on their keyboards for them. All Fahrenheit users want to do is read their thermometers the way they always have, but ironically enough, metric supremacists are incredibly imperialist about how people they will never meet say how cold it is outside. I stand by what I said: Fahrenheit is better for deciding what clothes to wear on a given day, that is my rock-solid opinion, and you cannot change it by sperging dumb justifications at me on the Internet, eat it :smug:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

loquacius posted:

lol

Exactly how hot water is when it boils is not central to your life, dude, and even in cooking, even in the one specific use case you're inflating to cosmic importance, water is boiled on stoves and stoves don't even use precise temperatures in their settings. Water boils at HIGH.

I was being too charitable in my last post, really. The thing I said to start all of this off was "I'm going to keep using Fahrenheit in my everyday life" and that was enough to make the people who take celsius way too seriously so mad that steam (boiled water, very relevant) came out of their ears and started angrily pressing the keys on their keyboards for them. All Fahrenheit users want to do is read their thermometers the way they always have, but ironically enough, metric supremacists are incredibly imperialist about how people they will never meet say how cold it is outside. I stand by what I said: Fahrenheit is better for deciding what clothes to wear on a given day, that is my rock-solid opinion, and you cannot change it by sperging dumb justifications at me on the Internet, eat it :smug:

Yeah but you're still arguing on the internet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

loquacius posted:

lol

Nice meltdown

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Don't call us "mad" just because we're trying to help you see a better way. You should be thanking us

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A Mars lander fell out of the sky because Lockheed decided to use Imperial units while the rest of the mission used Metric.

Americans use metric for science and use imperial to drive around, describe how tall they are, decide on a jacket, and make Europeans angry with very little effort

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
At this point I'd be happy to see a circumcision or raising kids to be religious derail...anything but this.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

loquacius posted:

Americans use metric for science and use imperial to drive around, describe how tall they are, decide on a jacket, and make Europeans angry with very little effort

Well no, as my example indicates they're too stupid to actually use metric for science

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Jesus loving Christ the temperature unit you have used for ever is best for determining what you're going to wear which for most of the loving world is Celsius and for a few people it's Fahrenheit that's it in daily use the only single worthwhile factor is whether you have loving internalised it that's it that's all it loving is.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Well no, as my example indicates they're too stupid to actually use metric for science

That's one specific example where they hosed up by using it. The only astronomer I've met when I was getting my degree that used weird units like that was an Australian who was only doing it because it made people mad in his talks. The rest of the 99%+ of the field uses CGS (or I think some weirdos use MKS) for science.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Fartbox posted:

Don't call us "mad" just because we're trying to help you see a better way. You should be thanking us

measure exactly 3 meters of metal rebar and put it directly in your rear end. make sure to heat it to a temperature of 100 degrees c before doing so for maximum effect. thanks in advance

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I can't wait till your kids disagree with you.

It will be like getting owned on this comedy forum all over again.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I'd rate that meltdown a solid 250 °C... what's that in Fahrenheit? You're the expert there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Climate Orbiter loss is really funny actually. It ended up being dropped 4 kilometers out of the sky because the mathematical formula used to calculate when to detach the parachute turned up a negative number because it mixed metric and imperial measurements.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there also an incident with a tunnel or a bridge at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

The Climate Orbiter loss is really funny actually. It ended up being dropped 4 kilometers out of the sky because the mathematical formula used to calculate when to detach the parachute turned up a negative number because it mixed metric and imperial measurements.

at least it died with its principals intact :colbert: