Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EVIL Gibson posted:

Humans have this too to a slighter degree. If you ever quickly move your head to look at a clock with a moving second hand , it sometimes looks like the second hand is frozen for a moment. Through years of evolution your brain and eyes have gotten their poo poo together to make it not a barf rollercoaster each time you move your head and gives your something to look at before it starts figuring out what is actually moving due to the head movement and what is moving by itself.

Apparently humans are functionally blind for a chunk of the day if you add up all those tiny little micro alterations that your brain performs where it's not actually registering what you're looking at.
(Although I'm certainly no expert and I could be completely wrong, someone fill me in if I am)

Sagebrush posted:

A guy posted in the motorcycle forum a couple years ago about his cousin who held precisely that attitude, the "I'd rather die instantly than be crippled for life" stuff, and then he crashed his Harley at 20 miles an hour and whacked his helmet-less head on the curb and now has brain damage and can't walk or speak properly any more.

I saw an interview with a wingsuiter who had a similar attitude, although his reasoning was ""I'm flying through canyons at 120mph and if I hit a rock I'm loving dead whatever I do, my options are to just take a header into a rock and die instantly and painlessly or pull the cord on my chute and survive a short while in the worst agony possible and then die anyway."
Spoiler: he does indeed hit a rock and pulls the chute and somehow survives, although he does get extremely hosed up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TMIiZV1OZo&t=182s

Some of the other videos are also pretty funny if you've got a tendency towards schadenfreude and don't mind watching extreme sportsmen gently caress up and smack their faces against cliffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently humans are functionally blind for a chunk of the day if you add up all those tiny little micro alterations that your brain performs where it's not actually registering what you're looking at.
(Although I'm certainly no expert and I could be completely wrong, someone fill me in if I am)

I think you're talking about saccades, it's a thing. I'm sure it adds up but I don't know if it's half the day. Sci-fi books about aliens exploiting this is a thing too.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

Why did he turn the wheel right, into the car, at the very last moment?

The other car is veering left.
Turning left would have let him be pushed, turned him, or spun him head first into the infield wall.
Turning into the car he was trying (presumably) to push through the other car and the direction of the spin and turn and just go 'through' it.

He knew he wasn't going to avoid it or go around it, just trying to keep it as much in the middle of the road as he could.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eHrV_x0_lo
Interesting video on, well, the title explains it.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

The other car is veering left.
Turning left would have let him be pushed, turned him, or spun him head first into the infield wall.
Turning into the car he was trying (presumably) to push through the other car and the direction of the spin and turn and just go 'through' it.

He knew he wasn't going to avoid it or go around it, just trying to keep it as much in the middle of the road as he could.

I don't think this is it. I think that at the speed he was going at the tug to the left rotated the car and he was oversteering. He had to correct it with some opposite lock and turn right to prevent him from spinning completely. At those speeds and timelines his steering response to oversteer would be automatic.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHdYvq-x2-8&t=524s

http://i.imgur.com/ffOtd5u.gifv

I'd guess a big brake application (understandable) and different rolling diameters and/or pressures in the tyres because oval track causing the car to dive to the left which he's countersteering for.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

How come drone car racing isn't a thing? You could go the battlebots route and it'll be :krad:

You need to add up all of the lag present in a system necessary to provide feedback to a driver. Video encoding, transmission, decoding, probably on the order of 100-200ms for HD. Now the squishy brain meat part of you needs to process and react, add 250ms at best case. Ballparking the transmission of a command and execution of that command back on the vehicle on the order of 50ms. We're now around 450ms from thing A happening to reaction to thing A. At 150mph, that's 30 meters! Not to mention the other problems with reduced situational awareness, the fact that you have 20+ cars transmitting large amounts of data in already congested radio spectrum with low latency requirements, and probably some more stuff I can't think of at this hour. All of this doesn't mean you can do drone car racing, but it's probably not a drop in replacement in terms of the whole need for speed desire that makes racing fun. (For battlebots, though, speed usually isn't what makes a winner good, so that's right up the TeleOp alley)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
AI racing could be still be a thing. Just preprogrammed routines controlling the cars, no need for human interaction. Hilarity guaranteed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I would very much like to see a remote-controlled or AI-controlled fully unlimited racing class, taking place on a pylon course deep on a salt flat somewhere.

Make a few super basic restrictions like "it has to be larger than a toaster and smaller than a locomotive, and must remain in contact with the ground" and see just what engineering can do when you're not limited by the sorts of maneuvers (and accidents) a human can survive.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Buff Skeleton posted:

I think you're right in that it's much more likely to impact other people inside the car rather than outside (let alone in another car). So that's a fair point. Though stories like this certainly aren't totally outlandish: https://www.ksl.com/?sid=26954581

[Edit] And there you go, another example ^^^

few pages late but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Qhmdk4VNs

:q:

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

good news, racing AI is already being worked on: https://www.twitch.tv/sentdex

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Wall Balls posted:

good news, racing AI is already being worked on: https://www.twitch.tv/sentdex

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm hoping AI racing will just be a bunch of teslas (or whatever) in lane assist mode with beer cans taped to the steering wheel.

The various pit crews will be running around with huge poster prints of tunnels and painting fake road markings.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHdYvq-x2-8&t=524s

http://i.imgur.com/ffOtd5u.gifv
to minimize the intercept chance, but he didn't have enough front end grip anyway, so kaboom

Sagebrush posted:

I would very much like to see a remote-controlled or AI-controlled fully unlimited racing class, taking place on a pylon course deep on a salt flat somewhere.
would legit own bones.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Make a few super basic restrictions like "it has to be larger than a toaster and smaller than a locomotive, and must remain in contact with the ground" and see just what engineering can do when you're not limited by the sorts of maneuvers (and accidents) a human can survive.
This is the driverless race car of the future

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

It looks like a bottle of Gamer Fuel

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Stolen from YOSPOS. An "electric" train:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6baA4lH14Q

htf did this even start? I guess it's also well and good that the train appears to be empty.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
You can see the conductor* hanging down from the poles - it's broken and lying on top of the cars.

*: Electrical, not the tickets-please type. Though it is Russia, so either could hold true.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of Russia...

https://twitter.com/arturpetrosyan/status/869260920383578113?s=09

shiftless
May 18, 2005

I'm the revolving doors that just won't stop :stonk:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Too bad the Kremlin is still standing

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

shiftless posted:

I'm the revolving doors that just won't stop :stonk:

Been through a tornado that did that to the lobby door. poo poo was crazy. Security guard almost broke his arm trying to stop it so they could lock it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
loving hell, as if Russian infrastructure wasn't scary enough, have some hundred mile-an-hour winds on top of it as well.

BBC is reporting 16 dead now.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Can somebody explain the divider chain around 0:30?
It has to be covered metal and not concrete or that is terrifying.

Dr. Thodt
Jun 28, 2002

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Can somebody explain the divider chain around 0:30?
It has to be covered metal and not concrete or that is terrifying.

It's probably hollow plastic dividers connected at their ends, forming a chain.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Thodt posted:

It's probably hollow plastic dividers connected at their ends, forming a chain.

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be filled with water but eh, who can be bothered going to all that effort? It's not like there's going to be a hurri~Сука Блять!!!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 30, 2017

revolther
May 27, 2008
How common place are football field sized tents as infrastructure in Russia or anywhere? Or is that sheet metal and I have no respect for the power of nature?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

revolther posted:

How common place are football field sized tents as infrastructure in Russia or anywhere? Or is that sheet metal and I have no respect for the power of nature?

It's pretty normal here. It's the cheapest/easiest way to have a year round driving range or soccer field somewhere where it snows a fuckton

That one has been there for as long as i can remember.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Powershift posted:

It's pretty normal here. It's the cheapest/easiest way to have a year round driving range or soccer field somewhere where it snows a fuckton

Collapse #5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAyLX2hY7E0

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And in terms of collapses, that doesn't even make the top 10 that stadium has seen! :haw:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:stare:

How did a hurricane manage to hit Moscow? Did it form in the Black Sea/Mediterranean, or did it form on land, or what?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It wasn't a hurricane by any meteorological definition of the term.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:stare:

How did a hurricane manage to hit Moscow? Did it form in the Black Sea/Mediterranean, or did it form on land, or what?

Poor translation.

It’s not actually a hurricane.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Platystemon posted:

Poor translation.

It’s not actually a hurricane.

In the US would most likely be called a Microburst

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zil posted:

In the US would most likely be called a Microburst

That makes sense, thanks

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I've heard them referred to as a derecho in recent years, but it's not something that I remember being around all that long as a term.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The Washington Post weather bloggers have some details on the storm.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

ISIS found the weather control satellite codes

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Powershift posted:

That one has been there for as long as i can remember.

Ignoring the video above of one collapsing, how does a tent that shape hold up under any snow at all?

I'm from Australia so the only things I know about snow is that it's white and cold.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Splode posted:

Ignoring the video above of one collapsing, how does a tent that shape hold up under any snow at all?

I'm from Australia so the only things I know about snow is that it's white and cold.

I don't know about that one specifically but the Metrodome (referenced earlier for its roof collapsing) had two layers and hot air was pumped between them to keep the upper layer warm enough to melt snow.

The tents are massive and able to support a fair amount of snow, but not enough for what actually happens to fall in Minnesota :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
They're inflatable, the individual panels are semi-rigid from the air blown into them.

edit: yeah that. I didn't realise they were heated as well but that makes sense.